Page 52 of 56 FirstFirst ... 47484950515253545556 LastLast
Results 1,531 to 1,560 of 1679

Thread: FYF Fest 2013

Default Re: FYF Fest 2013

We had a great weekend. Really liked the crowd; it felt like everyone was there to listen, and was respectful of one another. We had to have been one of the few older couples there, but we never felt out of place. Bathroom situation was weird, until we figured out that there was never a wait in the beer gardens. Dust cloud could no doubt be seen from space. Food choices were not stellar, but awesome fish tacos from the food truck by the Samantha tent. Somehow did not see a single one of you (well, possibly cansei der sexme if he is no longer a baby-faced giant but is now a bearded giant).

My pick in the never-heard-them-before-but-now-a-fan category: METZ. The drummer is fantastic.
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    See that guy in the background talking loudly about crab cakes? That's you.

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    So tell me more about Baroness.
    Soundchecking themselves before the set started they used some bit of an Iron Maiden song to check the levels... and it was absolute fire and the early waiters applauded even that bit of fun: I knew it was going to be a great set and MAN did those guys just nail it. Fantastic harmonies filled with earnest strength from not only the vocals but the guitar work and rhythm section. It was wonderful to see the guys having so much fun up there after hearing about all the terrible happenings last year. Every Yellow and Green stood head and shoulders high with the couple of Blue songs sprinkled in there (which I thought were going to stand out, happy to be wrong). The run of songs from A Horse Called Golgotha through The Line Between was my favorite part of this festival weekend outside of maybe TV on the Radio. These guys deserve to be playing to a crowd 10x the small crowd they had.

Take My Bones Away
    Cocainium
    A Horse Called Golgotha
    Foolsong
    The Line Between
    Swollen and Halo
    Green Theme
    March to the Sea
    The Gnashing

Mac Demarco and Kurt Vile exceeded my expectations by a lot yesterday. Except Kurt closing with Tomboy after rocking so hard. But I didn't expect to have nearly as much fun at either as I did. What was that Kurt Vile song towards the end of the set with the sax? Hot stuff.

It seemed like lots of musicians were having trouble with sound. I saw at least 4-5 songs just awkwardly go on without a guitar solo, or just all together stop, because of sound issues. And I didn't understand what the point of How To Dress Well's set was. Last time I saw him he had the band but also a backing track with all the electronics from the album. This time it was just him, the piano and the violin from what I heard before I left.... You couldn't hear him at all from in front of the soundstage...

Quote Originally Posted by anonimouse View Post
    i went to holy ghost when mbv did the "5 minute break". i meant to go back but i was having so much fun i never did. so what exactly happened after that? did they play with just the stage amps?
    We stayed slightly into the next song and then moved to the other stage too. I have to say people were losing their fucking minds to Holy Ghost

Im kind of glad I left. Though I wish MBV wasnt having the sound issues

I also echo the sentiments in baroness. Probably one of the most fun performances.

With that said I think I enjoyed Saturday the most. TV on the Radio was the best set for myself. Still on a completely different level.
    Last edited by kfordham; 08-26-2013 at 10:39 AM.

Fuck, that set list is killer. I really need to see them with the new material and new band. Glad they were excellent.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

I also watched Baroness (that was "The Trooper" they were soundchecking) and coming from someone with very little knowledge of their music aside from all the buzz they've gotten in the past year or two: they were very enjoyable - stayed the whole set - but seriously only a step or two away from the KROQ/Weenie Roast/bro rock sound. I'm not saying that's what they are but who knows what road they'll take in 2-3 years. Very hooky, meaty riffs, pristine harmonies.

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    I am also intrigued as to how one jack-off stole 10 phones.
    I was imagining some type of Robin Hood figure running down the line snatching all the cameras held up by people taking pictures or filming.

Quote Originally Posted by cansei de ser sexme View Post
    What was that Kurt Vile song towards the end of the set with the sax? Hot stuff.
    Freak Train.
    4/27 - Ghost BC - Fonda (?)
    4/29 - Franz Ferdinand - Wiltern (?)
    4/30 - Mono - Troubadour (?)
    5/03 - Philip Glass - Royce Hall
    5/06 - Rodrigo y Gabriela - Orpheum (?)

Quote Originally Posted by ThomThom View Post
    I want to get the members of Brand New and Chvrches in a line and have all of them executed in front of their fans.
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

It was very strange how crowded this festival felt, yet during the actual sets, it seemed like there was nobody around. And the weird thing about that is the crowd overall seemed really cool, lots of insane fashion going on, but not a lot of douchebags. The bathroom situation on Saturday was crazy, but it seemed like it was mostly during a peak period of like 8:30-10:30. Absolutely no issues yeste3rday.

I'm pretty confused at anybody complaining about food. I couldn't believe how many options there were. Good main food area, 1-2 food trucks in either beer area each day, a line of about 4-5 food truck against the left wall going to the main stage, and a whole area with another 6 or so trucks behind the Miranda stage. I had great empanedas, kogi tacos, spicy pies, ice cream, and a couple other small things.

It was a really fun weekend and I can't believe how many friends I got to hang out with! Pre-partying both days was great. Glad my little sister got to meet so many cool people. Only real complaint about the orginization of the fest besides the bathroom lines was cutting alcohol off at 10:30pm. I am always irked by set curfews that are not advertised to people. ALSO, the fucking beer running out at the end of the night last night. But, I really had no business drinking more either night by that point.

Music -

Saturday:

Only got to see about 3 songs from Lemuria, but I thought they were fantastic. Really want to see them again!

Wasn't familiar with Crystal Antlers, but they sounded great as we walked by so we went up and caught the second half of their set. Really solid! I want to hear their records.

Waxahatchee is totally fine, not that interesting music. Great background music.

Metz fucking killed it. These guys ended up pulling a huge crowd early in the day and they deserved it. So good.

Joyce Manor was fun. These guys get better every time I see them.

The Breeders were fantastic. They seem like they're having such a great time. Anybody that tries to convince you they are sloppy and should be skipped (not only have people around here said that but somebody in the LA Times said it as well) is an idiot.

Seeing The Locust for the first time in at least 8 years, along with a bunch of very curious people was so great. They are such technically proficient musicians making such insane music. No hi jinks yet, but their set was amazing.

TV On The Radio was indeed great. They seemed like the only truly huge stage presence of the day for me. A giant arena show. They're so good.

Flag was beyond my expectations. Sounded great, played fast as fuck, Keith Morris kept his yap shut. Awesome times.

And finally Death Grips. WOW. I cannot wait to see them again. It's exhausting watching these guys.

SUNDAY:

I was a having a hard time being really focused on music yesterday. Watched half of the sets from beer gardens.

Fear of Men sound fine but like Waxahatchee, totally inoffensive, not that interesting music.

The Orwells are great. They look like babies, but they have a good stage presence, nice punky garage sound, and the singer wearing nothing but a basketball jersey and a jock strap was pretty funny.

Chelsea Wolfe sounds really good - not right for the middle of the afternoon in the sun though.

Kurt Vile was really good. I enjoy that the set gets louder and more intense as it progresses on. I do kind of want to do heroin while I watch him though.

Touche Amore were great. Really weird watching a guy I went to high school with and used chat with at the local record store and at hardcore shows back in the day now have all this adoration. Their fans are nuts.

Glasser was probably my biggest disappointment of the festival. The music sounds really good, and she's gorgeous and her voice sounds amazing and her dancing is mesmerizing, but she doesn't have the full band anymore, and the entire stage show is just so stripped bare. If I hadn't seen her do such an incredible, blow-your-sock off performance in 2011, I would not feel this way. But this seemed like a step back.

It was so amazing getting to welcome Baroness back to Los Angeles. They were at the absolute top of their game, despite the personnel change. Absolutely wonderful.

I'd only seen The Melvins do a Lite show before, so it was really awesome seeing them with the full band, 2 drummers and all.

Did partial sets of both Washed Out and Les Savy Fav. my mind was somewhere else for both and was doing a lot of chatting, but both were good.

My Bloody Valentine was incredible, even with the sound problems. it amazing that they actually are THAT loud.
    last.fm
    4/5/14 - Trentemoller - Fonda // 4/9/14 - The Knife - Fox Theater Pomona // 4/22/14 - Dillinger Escape Plane - Glasshouse// 5/23/14 - 5/26/14 Punk Rock Bowling - Las Vegas
    5/28/14 - Elbow - Wiltern // 7/9/14 - Cloud Nothings - Roxy // 8/25/14 - Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    Even if it Daft Punk were to come out who cares. Not like they're Bono or anything

Quote Originally Posted by grichsgang View Post
    Maybe it was an organized band of Jack-offs, who knows. For the last song, Tim of Les Savy Fav (and what a crazy F*ck that guy is) laid an extension ladder out over the crowd and sat on it while the crowd passed the ladder over their heads. Everyone was looking up at the ladder and/or holding it while said jack-off(s) apparently went to work. Once the song (and set) ended, I noticed that my pocket felt empty, reached down and there was no phone. I started scrambling around looking for it amongst the toilet paper on the ground (Tim threw about 20 rolls of TP into the stands on the previous song) and couldn't find the phone. A growing number of people were also looking around for their phones and soon about 10 of us concluded that that our phones had been lifted from us. One woman had had her purse opened and the phone taken right out of there.

It's only "stuff" so it's not that big a deal (other than the inconvenience and expense of getting a new phone), though I did lose some good photos, including one with my son and the singer of the Orwells. It just sucks to be reminded that even a great music festival is not immune to the shitty people that live among us.

hahaha. Wowww. That sucks
    Superfan will be in front of the Fonda masturbating furiously to a photo of him taking a photo of a band. Set is from 8:05 to approximately 8:05:15. Guest list only.

Favorite sets of the weekend:

1. Death Grips
    2. Deerhunter
    3. Beach House
    4/27 - Ghost BC - Fonda (?)
    4/29 - Franz Ferdinand - Wiltern (?)
    4/30 - Mono - Troubadour (?)
    5/03 - Philip Glass - Royce Hall
    5/06 - Rodrigo y Gabriela - Orpheum (?)

Quote Originally Posted by ThomThom View Post
    I want to get the members of Brand New and Chvrches in a line and have all of them executed in front of their fans.
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein;2782436
    Wasn't familiar with [B
    Crystal Antlers[/B], but they sounded great as we walked by so we went up and caught the second half of their set. Really solid! I want to hear their records.
    Check out the first EP. It was my jam for awhile. If they still have the same lineup, the organist/keyboard player goes by the incredible name of Sexual Chocolate.

Wait Beach House's set wasnt a snooozer

Simian Mobile Disco, Earth @ Pappy and Harriet's 04/26/15
    Austin Psych Fest @ Carson Creek Ranch 05/02-04/14
    The Decemberist @ Crystal Ballroom 05/30/14
    Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds @ The Warfield 07/07/14

Last.fm
    Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    thanks for whatever you did in mexico.

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    If they still have the same lineup, the organist/keyboard player goes by the incredible name of Sexual Chocolate.

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    Wait Beach House's set wasnt a snooozer
    Yeah, I didn't even want to watch them, but I'm so glad that I did! One of my favorite sets and I really expected them to be boring.
    He sold his soul for a shot at fame
    Catchphrase and wigs and the jokes are lame...

People from the Outside Lands thread: I was walking away from No Age and someone put their hand out for a hi-five. They were clearly in the moment and having a good time. This did not bother me and I returned the hi-five. Please critique or justify this in the context of "inappropriate festival behavior."

You were walking away from a set, someone silently high-fived you without screaming in your face. How is context so fucking difficult for you?

4/20: Godflesh, Cut Hands @ DNA Lounge
    4/21: The Men @ Rickshaw Stop
    4/26: Simian Mobile Disco, Earth @ Pappy and Harriet's
    5/2-5/4: Austin Psych Fest @ Carson Creek Ranch
    5/10: Joey Anderson @ TBA
    5/17: Kishi Bashi @ GAMH
    5/17: Move D b2b Optimo, Jackmaster, J.Phlip @ PW
    5/21: Baths @ The Independent
    5/30: The Decemberists @ The Crystal Ballroom
    6/27: Fuck Buttons @ The Independent
    6/28: Robyn & Royksopp @ Bill Graham

Seriously, unless you were standing up close, trying to enjoy a set, and this high-fiver broke away from his loud group of 10 + friends that had just pushed in front of you to start loudly talking over the music, there isn't any comparison and you're being a useless twat for the sake of trying to make some point that everyone already fucking agrees with. Shut the fuck up.

4/20: Godflesh, Cut Hands @ DNA Lounge
    4/21: The Men @ Rickshaw Stop
    4/26: Simian Mobile Disco, Earth @ Pappy and Harriet's
    5/2-5/4: Austin Psych Fest @ Carson Creek Ranch
    5/10: Joey Anderson @ TBA
    5/17: Kishi Bashi @ GAMH
    5/17: Move D b2b Optimo, Jackmaster, J.Phlip @ PW
    5/21: Baths @ The Independent
    5/30: The Decemberists @ The Crystal Ballroom
    6/27: Fuck Buttons @ The Independent
    6/28: Robyn & Royksopp @ Bill Graham

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

I'm really glad that nobody got too angry about me drunkenly stumbling into them all night on Saturday night. I am told I was very apologetic about it though.
    last.fm
    4/5/14 - Trentemoller - Fonda // 4/9/14 - The Knife - Fox Theater Pomona // 4/22/14 - Dillinger Escape Plane - Glasshouse// 5/23/14 - 5/26/14 Punk Rock Bowling - Las Vegas
    5/28/14 - Elbow - Wiltern // 7/9/14 - Cloud Nothings - Roxy // 8/25/14 - Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    Even if it Daft Punk were to come out who cares. Not like they're Bono or anything

What was the deal with security walking around making sure you chug and finish your already-purchased drink before 11 (it seemed) because they were "going to lose their license" or something? This was the beer garden before MBV. Thought that was kind of weird.

Quote Originally Posted by xuclarockerx View Post
    People from the Outside Lands thread: I was walking away from No Age and someone put their hand out for a hi-five. They were clearly in the moment and having a good time. This did not bother me and I returned the hi-five. Please critique or justify this in the context of "inappropriate festival behavior."
    I dont know what the fuck you are talking about but it sounds like a total non issue. So much wasted time on this board and millions of others on pointless babble. I guess we are all really bored at work.
    Superfan will be in front of the Fonda masturbating furiously to a photo of him taking a photo of a band. Set is from 8:05 to approximately 8:05:15. Guest list only.

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    ...a crowd that by and large is there for the music and actually listening to the music...
    soooo much this, and a friendly crowd at that. it reminded me alot of the mid 00's and earlier coachella crowds. the people in the tent for glasser got a little too chatty towards the end of the set but that was probably the only time i was really annoyed. i heard more "sorry"s and "excuse me"s than i have at any festival in quite some time and i think i only saw a few people cut in a line during the entire weekend. there were a few dbags here and there like the girl who punched me in the dick during tv on the radio but i sorta view that as taking all of the potential negative energy that could have been there throughout the weekend and experiencing it all at once.

besides, sometimes you just need to get punched in the dick
    Originally Posted by menikmati
    I'm locking this fucker.

Quote Originally Posted by nosurprises12 View Post
    Les Savy Fav is the correct answer.
    Ding! Ding! Yawned through MGMT's first two songs (seriously, was that a grasshopper or the bugs from Starship Troopers?) and saw all of LSF.

Quote Originally Posted by xuclarockerx View Post

I was imagining some type of Robin Hood figure running down the line snatching all the cameras held up by people taking pictures or filming.
    Aye, there's the irony. Those that were stolen were from pockets or purses. My son had his phone out taking video of the whole ladder thing and he still has his phone.

Man, you all must have missed Yeah Yeah Yeahs then if you are praising the crowd this much. All of the douchebags were out in full force during that set. Haven't been in a shittier crowd in quite some time. At least that was the only show where the crowd was significantly disappointing.

Drank a little too much on Saturday, so I don't recall much of what I saw until Delorean and TVOTR (who again didn't do anything for me. Third time seeing them, third time they didn't connect). Sunday I was much more coherent. I thought Poolside was excellent. I always love !!! and I have seen them 6 or so times, but I am just not digging their setlist choice on the heels of this new album. Still love them, but it wasn't their best show. This was my first time seeing Washed Out as a band and wow, this was quite different. Definitely liked his solo performances from a few years ago.

Definitely a step up from the previous FYF I attended, but I still hate the venue. I can't wait to see what renovations are in store for the park. Regardless of how close it is to me, I just can't get on board for shows at the venue until they do something about the dirt.
    For your health

Wow, what a weekend ... great music right after another. Loved the crowd, atmosphere and pretty much everything except for the sound issues during MBV and the long lines for the bathroom on Saturday. I will most likely be back next year.

Best set:

1. MBV (I was already blown away from the first half of their set)
    2. TVOTR
    3. Horse Meat Disco
    4. Washed Out
    5. SMD b2b Bicep

HM: !!!, Poolside, Yo La Tengo, Pional
    OutKast / The Replacements / Chromeo / Bonobo / Bryan Ferry / Flume / Jagwar Ma / Shlohmo

Muse / Queens of the Stone Age / Pet Shop Boys / CHVRCHES / Mogwai / Tiga / Holy Ghost!

Arcade Fire / Beck / Neutral Milk Hotel / Disclosure / STRFKR / AlunaGeorge / Flight Facilities / Blood Orange

Quote Originally Posted by luckyface View Post
    Definitely a step up from the previous FYF I attended, but I still hate the venue. I can't wait to see what renovations are in store for the park. Regardless of how close it is to me, I just can't get on board for shows at the venue until they do something about the dirt.
    They seriously need to do something about the dirt.. Install some sprinklers and get grass growing in this fucking park and it will be perfect. I actually love the venue, but the dirt and wood chips make it nearly unbearable.

And I'm seriously surprised that the people on here aren't gushing over Flume.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyface View Post
    I always love !!! and I have seen them 6 or so times, but I am just not digging their setlist choice on the heels of this new album. Still love them, but it wasn't their best show. This was my first time seeing Washed Out as a band and wow, this was quite different. Definitely liked his solo performances from a few years ago.
    That was my reaction to both as well (though I saw Washed Out with a band 2 years ago and it was nothing like this... I guess it's just the new material that is a little too snoozy to me compared to what he was doing a couple of years ago).

I have to add my "me too" regarding the good crowds. Coming off the heels of Outside Lands and its apathetic crowds with no courtesy or self-awareness, I wasn't sure I really wanted to go to another festival so soon, but the crowds were good at everything I saw. There were for sure douchebags here and there, but it was isolated instances with individuals (which can probably be chalked up to being too drunk/fucked up), NOT dealing with a crowd full of bad behavior. It seemed like most of the audience were serious about show-going, ie, almost no talking during sets, people were familiar with the acts and their music, and were very in the moment (lots of people dancing along, not that many people on phones, etc). Really, this is a different experience than almost any other LA area show I've gone to. There were even a few locals who struck up conversations with me, along the lines of, "See? Not everyone from LA is awful."

The venue could definitely use work. This year's stage layout was better in terms of sound-bleed, and the "Carrie" stage was easier to navigate than last year's layout, but I hated the orientation of the dance tent. Especially coming from the stages further left, there was usually a bottleneck to get into that area, since you had to walk all the way around to the other side, or else walk over puddles of people sitting on the hill/under the trees in front of the tent. Last year's layout was a lot better. I also missed there being lots of sitting room on the sides of the tent. There were a couple of sets I walked away from because it was too crowded to really get into the tent. That's the only stage that seemed crowded to me at all this weekend.

The dust is killer... even wearing a bandana over my face, I've still been coughing up brown gunk all day. The rubber mats over the front part of the stages (in front of the soundboard) helped a lot, but it was dusty as hell walking around, especially at night. I also felt like this year, there was not much space to sit down to eat or rest. The beer gardens were pretty crowded each time I went into them, and it was hard to find a spot on the ground to sit where there wasn't constant foot traffic. Like others mentioned, it felt VERY crowded to me in the festival, yet oddly not very crowded at any stage (except the dance tent for a couple of acts).

Quote Originally Posted by Nealocus View Post
    How awful was MGMT...?
    Friday - OutKast / The Replacements / The Afghan Whigs / Shlohmo / GOAT / Flatbush Zombies / Glitch Mob / John Spencer / DJ Falcon / The Bots
    Saturday - QOTSA / NAS / CHVRCHES / Temples / Mogwai / Warpaint / DARKSIDE / Ty Segall / Graveyard / Carbon Airways
    Sunday - Beck / Disclosure / Motorhead / Little Dragon / Trombone Shorty / Frank Turner / Bombino / Bad Manners / J. Roddy / Scuba

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience ― Mark Twain

I think the dust is one of the big issues that the city wants to address by closing the park for a year's worth of rehabilitation. I get the feeling that they really didn't expect FYF to succeed at the park, let alone to inspire other festivals and concerts to use the space as well, and as a result it's become substantially more beat up every year. Here's hoping the interest in the area inspires them to do some great stuff with it.

That said, I really love hearing the praise for the crowds at this fest. When people complain about LA, I have problems because the FYF crowd tends to be the group that I fell in with, and I've gotten so used to seeing respectful, engaged audiences that can express how stoked they are about a band without being assholes. Anonimouse's statement that the crowd felt like early Coachellas is totally spot-on. I can't thank Kreutz (and Zach) enough for making it possible for me to attend this year. It reinforced how great fests can be and I got to see some fantastic sets.

Quote Originally Posted by chiapet View Post
    The rubber mats over the front part of the stages (in front of the soundboard) helped a lot
    Agreed. I thought they should have lined the entire non-grass areas of the park with them!
    For your health