Page 51 of 56 FirstFirst ... 46474849505152535455 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,530 of 1678

Thread: FYF Fest 2013

Default Re: FYF Fest 2013

"Honest Compliments" haha. Only in LA...

http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archive...st_2013_d.html

ps I'm not used to seeing Ty Segall sitting down for a set. This should be an interesting show on Thursday...

7/22 Neutral Milk Hotel @ Prospect Park
    7/23 Witch @ MHOW
    7/24 Teenage Fanclub @ Pier 84
    7/24 Lauren Ritter @ TBA
    7/25 Nick Cave @ Prospect Park
    7/26 Cell Injection/Black Asteroid @ Output

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

i went to holy ghost when mbv did the "5 minute break". i meant to go back but i was having so much fun i never did. so what exactly happened after that? did they play with just the stage amps?
    Originally Posted by menikmati
    I'm locking this fucker.

Yo la Tengo and Flume stole the show for me yesterday. I definitely can't do these festivals like I used to, but it was an enjoyable weekend. Deerhunter was tops.

latimes.com

Review: Powerful surprises at every turn at FYF Fest 2013

Performers and 20,000-plus fans are wonderfully unpredictable as the left-of-center FYF Fest overtakes L.A. State Historic Park for a mini-Coachella-like festival.

By Randall Roberts, Los Angeles Times Pop Music Critic

5:00 AM PDT, August 26, 2013

Those looking for evidence that the 10th annual FYF Fest had hit a Saturday afternoon peak found it during songwriter Ty Segall's set. As he and his band pushed a hard-strummed acoustic guitar-driven song, the crowd up front danced frantically.

Suddenly, a pair of pants flew up from the pit, floated in the air, legs akimbo, then drifted back into the crowd. Up they flew again, and you had to wonder about the potentially trouser-less participant below. Was he or she so lost in the moment that the pants just had to go? Judging by the enthusiasm, I'd wager yes.

Whether pants and human were ever reunited is unknown. But the hits, however underground they may have been, just kept on coming this past weekend at Los Angeles State Historic Park in Chinatown.

PHOTOS: FYF Fest 2013

A shaggy-headed Mikal Cronin delivered catchy, acid-drenched rock to the gathered masses Saturday afternoon. Across the pitch on another stage, Brooklyn rap duo the Underachievers sampled the Rolling Stones' "Gimme Shelter." The veteran L.A. punks in Flag tore through Black Flag's "Gimme Gimme Gimme," singer Keith Morris bellowing the chorus.

As more than 20,000 underground rock, soul, folk, punk, house, hip-hop, techno and experimental electronic music fans baked in the sun and then chilled under the stars, TV on the Radio offered hard new material — huge guitar anthems that echoed off the warehouse walls. Los Angeles beat producer Nosaj Thing delivered thick, scatterbrained synthetic rhythms and sampled Kendrick Lamar's L.A. anthem "Bitch Don't Kill My Vibe." Mesmerizing guitar rock band Deerhunter's lead singer, Bradford Cox, sang with his head enveloped in a creepy-looking scarf.

Each was memorable in its own way, part of a music event whose tastes are as wonderfully unpredictable as the music swirling within shuffle-generation brains. An event geared to the tastes of the left-of-center music fans, FYF offered a virtually seamless and aesthetically varied two-day festival. The pit during San Francisco garage punk band Thee Oh Sees was swirling, crowd-surfing chaos — but so was the sweaty center of the dance tent when Horse Meat Disco dropped the classic synth-disco jam "Funkytown" by Lipps Inc.

FYF Fest: The Sunday artists to see, hour by hour

Four stages, dozens of food trucks and merchants spread over an easily traversable plot of acreage, FYF Fest has been called a mini-Coachella, which is somewhat accurate. The fests share an aesthetic — indie rock, punk, dance music and hip-hop — and many of the bigger bands at FYF, including the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, My Bloody Valentine, MGMT, Dan Deacon, TV on the Radio and Devendra Banhart, have also performed in Indio. This event is much more manageable, for obvious reasons, and as such it's much more relaxing.

But despite the smaller scale, the surprises arrived with equal power.

Magnificent soul singer Charles Bradley and his band poured every ounce of sweat into their late Saturday afternoon performance. Wearing maroon pants, vest and a sheer black shirt, the sixtysomething Floridian roared through the sunshine, his Screamin' Jay Hawkins-suggestive yowls and Otis Redding-esque pleadings echoing across the park. A commanding performer, Bradley should offer lessons to many of the young singers around the festival. He foot-shuffled, he thrust his pelvis, he gesticulated with his arms while offering big-boned soul and blues. He was impossible to ignore.

Jonathan Richman performed an early Sunday set under a hot sun, singing an ode to suffering that seemed apt. Wet with sweat from dancing, the Boston iconoclast sang about the necessity of pain. "When we refuse to suffer, when we refuse to feel, your life becomes a bore, and you're suffering even more," he sang.

Later that afternoon, young singer-songwriter Mac DeMarco delivered a rousing set of smart songs that had his growing fan base screaming along. His "Ode to Viceroy" was a love song to his favorite cigarette. One fan honored the sentiment by smoking — while crowd surfing.

PHOTOS: FYF Fest 2013

But on a bigger scale, what the FYF Fest has accomplished goes further than merely throwing a great outdoor music party. When the festival moved from a duct-taped, DIY gathering occurring (in the early years, just barely) in Echo Park to L.A. State Historic Park, the producers saw land perfect for a festival. They were the pioneers of that plot and helped lay the foundation for other music festivals to use the land for large-scale events. With the downtown Los Angeles skyline as a backdrop and a yellow moon hanging low in the sky, evidence that this is a perfect use of the land surrounded us.

And though in years past, FYF suffered from growing pains — long lines, artists not having adequate preshow accommodations — these hiccups have passed. Though the site was crowded, the vibe remained calm, easy and, well, nice.

For example, during a break in Torrance hard-core punk band Joyce Manor's tough Saturday set, unfortunately shortened by technical difficulties, a moshing fan screamed up from the pit that he'd lost his phone. As technicians worked on a powerless amp, singer-guitarist Barry Johnson asked to crowd to keep an eye out. Ha. Yeah, right.

A few minutes later, though, as the band tore through scream-along punk and the fans slammed and crowd-surfed, a single arm shot up from the mess, holding a Samsung. Crisis averted — though whether the phone survived the stomping feet is another issue.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

Awesome day 2 - not a huge MBV fan, so glad I skipped out on what sounds like it was a rough performance. The Miranda stage was awesome all day, caught Baroness, Les Savy Fav and Touche Amore - all sounded great on that stage. Flume was a surprise, and Pional was vibey (glad I made it for this). Kurt's set sounded pretty good from the beer garden as well. Everyone else think Day 2 was much better for general overcrowding + the bathroom lines?

anyone knows the setlist for MBV? did they play their regular 17 song set? which songs had technical difficulties? thanks!

They did not play close to the 17 songs...they only had 1 hr and 15mis, and at least 5 mins of that was them off stage fixing shit. The sound first cut out in Only Shallow, and then again in the following song, so then they stopped, "fixed it", and came back with "Wonder 2" with some shitty blown sound. But then kicked into Soon, and it sounded better after that. The ending of You Made Me Realize was amazing though of course.

Erik, I'm looking forward to your recording of Deerhunter.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Based on those pictures, think I smoked with the mustached guitarist from Crystal Antlers during Flag sharing ganj and hand rolled tobacco with one another. But there was most likely a couple hundred people who looked exactly like him so not fully sure.

We had to get the rocking-est award for Deerhunter bangin the rail towards the left of the stage amidst generally stationary folk, though some rockers came late in the set next to us seeking out action. So excited. Great songs (played a fave ‘Revival’, which early eighties new romantic bands would have killed to write/perform) and good looking lads.

Grips: Twenty minute line to use the head was fucked up. Food was pretty shite and/or unavailable.
    The pilgrimage is not perfected save by copulation with the camel.

Shame about all the issues during MBV... kind of left the festival on a down note. Sunday was really unimpressive to me. It looked great on paper, but everything I saw was just "okay," no stand outs. Saturday was pretty damned good though... Breeders were good, as was Charles Bradley. I wished I'd seen more of Horse Meat Disco, because they were fantastic for the portion of the set that I saw. A couple of surprises for me - SMD with Bicep was far, far better than I was expecting (I've seen SMD DJ sets and thought they were overhyped... so I'm gonna give credit to Bicep ) Kept trying to leave because I was tired, then they'd drop another great track. The standout of the weekend was Deerhunter though. I was originally planning on going to see Delorean, because I've seen Deerhunter a couple of times before, and am so glad friends talked me into seeing Deerhunter instead. I'm in awe of how good they were. They've become the band I must see each time they tour...

You guys are so weird. I see NO talk about Chk Chk Chks Amazing performance. So much energy. You could tell they were feeding off the crowd. Awesome set list. very heavy on new material and it all sounded so good. Such a great set!
    Superfan will be in front of the Fonda masturbating furiously to a photo of him taking a photo of a band. Set is from 8:05 to approximately 8:05:15. Guest list only.

Upcoming Shows: Marques Wyatt - UCLA, Paul Mccartney - Dodger Stadium, Yes - Greek Theater, Herbie Hancock - Hollywood Bowl, NIN/Soundgarden - Hollywood Bowl, Cut Chemist/Dj Shadow - Palladium, Massive Attack SB Bowl

By the way, I dont know what bathroom phone issues everyone was having on Saturday. Sunday had neither of those issues.

Did anyone end up seeing Omar Souleyman? I waited for like 15 minutes and he never went on, so I just went home.
    Superfan will be in front of the Fonda masturbating furiously to a photo of him taking a photo of a band. Set is from 8:05 to approximately 8:05:15. Guest list only.

Upcoming Shows: Marques Wyatt - UCLA, Paul Mccartney - Dodger Stadium, Yes - Greek Theater, Herbie Hancock - Hollywood Bowl, NIN/Soundgarden - Hollywood Bowl, Cut Chemist/Dj Shadow - Palladium, Massive Attack SB Bowl

I don't know why, but my wife and I decided to skip yesterday and just stay home... Coming from Long Beach, partly taking the Metro, just seems like such a chore. I feel bad that we bought a two day pass and only went to one, but at least we got to see some good stuff on Saturday. I had another friend who skipped yesterday as well...

How awful was MGMT...?
    Friday: Outkast, The Replacements, Girl Talk, Chromeo, AFI, The Afghan Whigs, Bastille, Jagwar Ma, Grouplove, Caravan Palace
    Saturday: Muse, QOTSA, Pharrell, Foster the People, Empire of the Sun, Kid Cudi, Sleigh Bells, Cage the Elephant, CHVRCHES, Capitol Cities, Temples, Bombay Bicycle Club, Holy Ghost!, Bear Hands
    Sunday: Arcade Fire, Beck, Neutral Milk Hotel, Trombone Shorty, Frank Turner, Surfer Blood, J Roddy Walston

Quote Originally Posted by brando4n82 View Post
    You guys are so weird. I see NO talk about Chk Chk Chks Amazing performance. So much energy. You could tell they were feeding off the crowd. Awesome set list. very heavy on new material and it all sounded so good. Such a great set!
    I had a blast at this set but apparently Nick told getbetter that they were having technical issues and that he wasn't totally pleased with how it went. He is such a good frontman though, whatever issues there were weren't blatantly apparent.

8/16: Anthony Naples, Maxmillion Dunbar @ f8
    8/18: Man Man @ The Chapel
    8/23-8/24: FYF Fest
    8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

omar souleyman was tons of fun. guedita, delorean was snoozy so you didnt miss anything.

The festival was lots of fun, the VIP was worth it just for no bathroom lines, no food and booze lines and decent sight lines of some stages.

The MBV issues brought back flashbacks of Radiohead at Outside Lands.

Quote Originally Posted by grichsgang View Post
    Some jack-off stole my phone and phones of about 10 others right at the end of Les Savy Fav. If you are one of these people who had yours stolen, please PM me. If you're the jack-off that stole my phone, PM me too for that matter.
    I am also intrigued as to how one jack-off stole 10 phones.

This was a thoroughly enjoyable festival, despite the unfortunate sound issues during MBV. "Big" festival that still feels small enough to the point where I could get close to the stage, a crowd that by and large is there for the music and actually listening to the music, fun times with boardies. I thought it was strange that we weren't allowed to bring sealed water bottles INTO the VIP section.

I had a blast at this set but apparently Nick told getbetter that they were having technical issues and that he wasn't totally pleased with how it went. He is such a good frontman though, whatever issues there were weren't blatantly apparent.
    The onyl thing I noticed was one of the mics were out when the Saxophonist went for his solo, but other than that, it looked liek the band was having a blast and so was the crowd. Highlight of the day for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Nealocus View Post
    How awful was MGMT...?
    Ive seen MGMT twice...and both times were god awful, for whatever reason i gave them a thrid shot, and they were actually not half bad! Electric Feels actually sounded exaclty how it should! I was very pleasently surprised by this. and im glad they played track 2 from their first album

Yeah they sounded really great I thought. Dull on stage with no movement but lots of bands are like that. Good setlist (though im sure most of the festival crowd could have done without Siberian Breaks in full) with a bunch of 1st album picks outside of the obvious ones along to ridiculously over the top psych visuals. And they actually PLAYED Kids for the first time in years instead of just piping it in and dancing around like ass clowns. Was actually very very happy about their set given the low low expectations.

So tell me more about Baroness.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    So tell me more about Baroness.
    Chk Chk Chk were fantastic!

I loved !!!. Was looking forward to seeing them and it was like a Real Life game of Just Dance 4, but with the fear of possibly seeing a ballsack pop outta those shorts!
    He sold his soul for a shot at fame
    Catchphrase and wigs and the jokes are lame...

By the way, I dont know what bathroom phone issues everyone was having on Saturday. Sunday had neither of those issues.

Did anyone end up seeing Omar Souleyman? I waited for like 15 minutes and he never went on, so I just went home.
    They added 60 additional porta potties for Sunday, which is why I really appreciate this festival.

Omar Souleyman was pretty cool. Only walked into that tent because of the schedule void for us, and it was a fun, energetic set. He played past his time, which was nice. I didn't realize he was a late start. I was bummed about missing flume earlier :/

I am also intrigued as to how one jack-off stole 10 phones.
    Maybe it was an organized band of Jack-offs, who knows. For the last song, Tim of Les Savy Fav (and what a crazy F*ck that guy is) laid an extension ladder out over the crowd and sat on it while the crowd passed the ladder over their heads. Everyone was looking up at the ladder and/or holding it while said jack-off(s) apparently went to work. Once the song (and set) ended, I noticed that my pocket felt empty, reached down and there was no phone. I started scrambling around looking for it amongst the toilet paper on the ground (Tim threw about 20 rolls of TP into the stands on the previous song) and couldn't find the phone. A growing number of people were also looking around for their phones and soon about 10 of us concluded that that our phones had been lifted from us. One woman had had her purse opened and the phone taken right out of there.

It's only "stuff" so it's not that big a deal (other than the inconvenience and expense of getting a new phone), though I did lose some good photos, including one with my son and the singer of the Orwells. It just sucks to be reminded that even a great music festival is not immune to the shitty people that live among us.

That is crazy and unfortunate, especially happening so close to the stage. Jack-off for sure.

!!! was good, but I didn't feel their set was worth raving about -- way less energy than the other times I've seen them -- but I guess I'm biased because I don't like their new album that much and wish they'd have played more from Louden Up Now and Myth Takes, which IMO are much more fun live than most of the stuff they played.

Omar Souleyman went on went on about 20 minutes late, I think. (I ended up skipping him). Was so beat that I couldn't make myself go into the tent, ended up sitting at the very back of MGMT. They were surprisingly OK. I hadn't seen them since a few shows in 2008, when they were absolutely awful live each time.

I have to say that this was just a superb festival, Saturday especially. I arrived at 2.30 and moved from stage to stage and not pausing until Charles Bradley finished. Great sets all the way around on Saturday, but sticking out were Mikal Cronin, Bradley, Roky Erikson, Deerhunter and Thee Oh Sees.

Sunday was not quite as good but the Orwells and Les Savy Fav stood out for me. Kurt Vile, Beach House and Yo La Tengo were also solid sets. I caught only a few songs of Mac Demarco and Washed Out, but got to hear the main "hits" from each and both sounded good.

My biggest takeaway from the weekend (other than my phone) was how well-curated this lineup was. You had ear-pleasing strumming guitar rock, synthy dream-pop, soul from the soul and some psychedelic quasi-punk (how's that for a genre), among other things.

As an old classic rock dude, I relished the return of the front man - Charles Bradley, Tim Harrington of Les Savy Fav, Bradford Cox and the dude from the Orwells (who gave all new meaning to "jock rock")

Logistically, the food and beer lines were manageable and entry was vastly improved. It looks like the finally got stage placement right. There was very little sound-bleed and the sight-lines were excellent. They also did a much better job controlling the dust, even with the breeze in the late PM. The only negative was the bathrooms on Saturday. You would think that any concert promoter would have an easy-to-execute algorithm of how many bathrooms are needed for a certain number of people. Credit to them, though, for adding 60 toilets the next day.

Overall, very well done and enjoyable.

We had a great weekend. Really liked the crowd; it felt like everyone was there to listen, and was respectful of one another. We had to have been one of the few older couples there, but we never felt out of place. Bathroom situation was weird, until we figured out that there was never a wait in the beer gardens. Dust cloud could no doubt be seen from space. Food choices were not stellar, but awesome fish tacos from the food truck by the Samantha tent. Somehow did not see a single one of you (well, possibly cansei der sexme if he is no longer a baby-faced giant but is now a bearded giant).

My pick in the never-heard-them-before-but-now-a-fan category: METZ. The drummer is fantastic.
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    See that guy in the background talking loudly about crab cakes? That's you.