Thread: Iceland Airwaves 2012

Default Iceland Airwaves 2012

Finally making it out to this fest in a couple of weeks time. Not familiar with a large portion of the lineup. Any suggestions on who to see appreciated.

I've heard this Sigur Ros lot are supposed to be half decent.

http://icelandairwaves.is/line-up/
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

Default Re: Iceland Airwaves 2012

Definitely skip Polica and Of Monsters and Men. What's your schedule currently look like?

Wish I could have made it this time, but I'm considering it for next year.

Last edited by Boourns; 10-18-2012 at 03:03 PM.
    9/10 Swans @ Roxy, 9/17 Karen O at Masonic Lodge, 9/19 Tokimonsta @ El Rey, 9/20 Chvrches @ Tower Theatre, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/3-4 Desert Stars, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/22-25 CMJ, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

Gusgus! I didn't even know they were still around.
    For your health

I enjoyed Of Monsters & Men when I saw them. Nothing mind blowing, but also nothing to deliberately avoid.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

Bonobo (DJ set) - 10/10 - The Mohawk
    Screaming Females - 10/23 - Red 7
    Caribou & Jessy Lanza - 11/23 - The Mohawk

I couldn't get away from their Sasquatch set fast enough. Seems they're playing the same time as Swans, anyway.

I've not done any lineup research, but Blouse, DIIV, Dirty Projectors, Django Django, Doldrums, Exitmusic, Ghost Town Jenny, Gusgus, I Break Horses, the Arnalds, Phantogram, Sigur Ros, Swans would all make my list, scheduling permitting.

I really should do this next year instead of Bestival or Glastonbury since I very much want to see more of Iceland than the airport and the travel packages are reasonably priced.
    9/10 Swans @ Roxy, 9/17 Karen O at Masonic Lodge, 9/19 Tokimonsta @ El Rey, 9/20 Chvrches @ Tower Theatre, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/3-4 Desert Stars, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/22-25 CMJ, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

The murder capital where we murder for capital

I would say Swans is a must see after seeing their show a couple of months ago. They are excellent live.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

This fest is definitely a great way to get introduced to Icelandic bands. it looks like at least 80% of the acts are from Iceland.

Of those, the only ones I recognize outside of Sigur Ros are We Made God and Ólafur Arnalds. We Made God is a fucking awesome super heavy post rock band. Ólafur Arnalds is a classicaly trained composer. His 2010 record ...And They Have Escaped the Weight of Darkness is a very haunting, minimalist piano-based album. I think other album of his are more multi-instrumentalist though.
    Last edited by Drinkey McDrinkerstein; 10-18-2012 at 08:10 PM.
    last.fm
    10/22/14 - TV On The Radio @ Regent // 11/9/14 - Bad Religion @ Mayan // 11/14/14 - Death From Above 1979 @ Regent // 11/16/14 - Lucero @ Echo

Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post
    Definitely skip Polica
    Not every female fronted group can be an asian female.

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

Polica were great when I saw them recently.

but they tour and will be easy to see again. I would try to check out the iceland bands. going to this festival and seeing some of the bands people are recommending seems like such a waste.

Yeah, when in doubt, check out some of the random Icelandic bands or foreign acts that will probably never do major touring.

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

we are so useful.

I've seen Polica and of Monsters and Men before, so not worried about them. More interested in seeking out new music than repeat viewings (although both of Monsters and Men shows I've seen this year were pretty damn good), but I will make an exception for Daughter, obviously.

Quite like what I've heard of Nelson Can. Definitely looking forward to finally catching Rubik.
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

It's so damn cold. Who knew?

How about the blue lagoons?

So, first few days have been windy as fuck due to tropical storm Rosa. Yesterday we were advised not to go outside unless absolutely vital. A shop sign flew off a building and smashed on the floor about a foot away from me. Weather is supposed to improve tomorrow in time for the 3.5hr Sigur Ros show.

Daughter were absolutely breathtaking tonight. Dirty Projectors, Nelson Can, Rubik, Lockerbie and Shiny Darkly have all been great too.

Quote Originally Posted by sonofhal View Post
    the 3.5hr Sigur Ros show.
    fuck