Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: SXSW 2013

Default Re: SXSW 2013

I've never tried it and I've never been to an event where they checked the RSVP. I've been denied entry many times because the venue was at capacity or it was only open to badge holders, but never because I didn't RSVP. I still RSVP at the Filter/Fader events just in case.

I hope I can make it up for the Icelandic Airwaves showcase. That would be a good morning. The Ásgeir Trausti stuff is so chill. Hopefully, it's an electric set.

Quote Originally Posted by Timestretch View Post
    I've never tried it and I've never been to an event where they checked the RSVP. I've been denied entry many times because the venue was at capacity or it was only open to badge holders, but never because I didn't RSVP. I still RSVP at the Filter/Fader events just in case.

I didnt rsvp for anything last year and I had a few issues. I got shut out a couple parties.
    Coachella Vet. 03,05,07,08,09,10,11,12,13,and 14

That sucks, but is good to know. I'll be a little more diligent this time just in case. Do you remember which ones?

Friday is going to be tough. There's already this show with Metz, Surfer Blood, and Youth Lagoon. Red Eye Fly is usually easy to get into. Easy to get beer at the outdoor bar. And two stages keeps it going. But the undercard is underwhelming here.

Then there's this show at the Mohawk that also has an indoor outdoor setup with a larger capacity. It's still usually harder to get into and the indoor bar can get packed. There's some stuff I would like to catch here, but not sure if I can do an entire afternoon of different shades of electro pop.

Last edited by Timestretch; 02-13-2013 at 11:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sonofhal View Post
    RSVP TO EVERYTHING!
    Dumb question alert: Is there a point to RSVP-ing if you have a badge?

(p.s. thanks for the location advice; think I'm booking it now!)
    Last edited by joshc; 02-13-2013 at 11:24 PM.

I got shut out of the Spotify party last year with A$AP & SBTRKT, lucked out at Fader.

11/21 - Pearl Jam - Viejas Arena

Fader and Pure Volume are the 2 most important RSVP's. You have to be ready for the Fader RSVP. It opened and closed quickly last year. I think the RSVP opened on MArch 7th and lasted an hour or two. My goal last year was to make it to Fader Wednesday for Santigold and hightail it to Pure volume to get a purevolume badge for Miike Snow. I got in line at Pure Volume after Santi and they cut it off at 7 I think when I was waiting and missed out.

Fader is the best free party at sxsw. Usually they have a couple really good bands everyday and drinks are free. Budweiser, sweet tea or lemonade and vodka or whiskey and coke. It's a guarantee I go there one day of sxsw. You will have to wait an hour or so for the Fader wristband, but it's worth it. Get it early also, they will run out by Saturday. A possible option if you miss out on rsvp is to see if anyone in the wristband line has a plus one. I gave mine away last year. I spent all day last Saturday there after losing my id, since I recognized the lady who confiscated my wrench the day before.

Good idea: Bring an old id and take a picture of it next to the new one in case you lose it.

As far as getting shut out of shows, I have been involved in 2 episodes where the crowd went pretty nuts after the non wristband/badge people got cut off.

MSTKRFT played in a small club down a back alley, and a bunch of people were still in line after they cut off the badgeless people. Most people didn't leave and once they started playing, everyone was pushing forward. They ended up stopping the show and having the riot police clear out the alley with horses forcefully. The other time was Moby at Pure Volume and there was a huge crowd of Pure Volume people who were cutoff and unhappy.

Best bet once they declare no more wristbandless people is to move on. No point in being hopeful or wasting any time. Hundreds of other bands are playing.
    I go to shows and festivals.
    Photos.
    http://www.facebook.com/photos.php?id=174734597279
    Over 1000 youtube videos from concerts
    http://http://www.youtube.com/thefestivalninja

There is nobody I'm that worried about seeing, so happy to move on rather than get hosed down. Have no idea what my wristband does and doesn't get me, so am still hitting up the RSVP's like a mofo.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

DFA had a similar riot in the ally in 2011. Except there you could actually watch the show behind the fence and people just tried to tear it down out of spite. I normally avoid the parties that have established acts and use the conference to see new bands, which is why I probably haven't had trouble with the RSVP. I do RVSP to those events though just in case.

I would expect that you still need to RSVP even with a badge since the parties are thrown to promote a magazine or product or whatever and they want you on their mailing list. Most of the events we are talking about are unofficial SXSW events, which is why we can go for free.

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    So the important ones. If I could see This Will Be Our Year live, I'd be happy.
    I looked this up a couple of days ago because someone had the Zombies in their sig. Sounds like they might put on a good show. http://thezombies.net/ Read a bit about R Ballard. How soon I forget the details. Here is a song from the past for the kiddies......cr****

Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Timestretch View Post
    That sucks, but is good to know. I'll be a little more diligent this time just in case. Do you remember which ones?

Friday is going to be tough. There's already this show with Metz, Surfer Blood, and Youth Lagoon. Red Eye Fly is usually easy to get into. Easy to get beer at the outdoor bar. And two stages keeps it going. But the undercard is underwhelming here.

Then there's this show at the Mohawk that also has an indoor outdoor setup with a larger capacity. It's still usually harder to get into and the indoor bar can get packed. There's some stuff I would like to catch here, but not sure if I can do an entire afternoon of different shades of electro pop.

red 7 is probably my favorite venue in austin. mohawk is so incredibly small that it can be hard to enjoy a show there.
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 5 - Seth Troxler
    September 9 - Black Vice
    September 11 - Earthless
    September 14 - Lily Allen
    September 16 - Earth
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    September 23 - Andy Stott
    October 2 - Beck
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 20 - Mastodon
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Festival
    October 29 - The Melvins
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 15 - Primus
    November 18 - Slayer

Tip: Get your wristbands for the parties early, within an hour or two of when they open.
    Correct me if i'm wrong, but the line for the unofficial parties (Dickies, Fader, Polyvinyl, Filter, etc) is to get a wristband (except for maybe fader, which has a line for wristbands and then another line to get in). once you get a wristband, you get in's and out's without waiting. this is important because all the headliners play late afternoon (day parties) or late night (night parties). So when the crush of people are waiting to get a wristband you can just walk right through. This happened for me at Stubb's and Clive Bar, among others.

For badgeholders, I cannot recommend this enough: SXPress passes. Each morning at 9 or 10am on the top floor of the convention center, SXSW gives out a limited number of SXpress passes for each venue (or movie if you're interested). Free. One-time use. You can ask for up to 3 different venues. I suggest showing up 30 minutes before they open. With these passes, you basically get to cut the line and go to the very front. This is for official SXSW showcases (not unofficial parties). I got into Jack White, Jesus and Mary Chain, Miike Snow this way. Man people were pissed when you just walk to the very front of the line. It sucked waking up early to get the passes, but I didn't want to get shut out of some shows I really wanted to see.

mohawk indoor is tiny, but mohawk outdoor is roomier.
    Last edited by zeppelin77; 02-14-2013 at 04:29 PM.

zeppelin77 is right. get your wristband earlier in the day and you are set. Fader is one of the places where that WON'T work, but for pretty much everything on 6th you are set.

2 days before NYC set? Makes sense Thom + Nigel will be @ SXSW....

Every year, there seems to be something that doesn’t quite look right on the SXSW roster. Many times, this ends up being a surprise show of some sort, an event many know takes place all over Austin. After looking through Spotify, I’ll normally hit Google to begin my research. We Are a Sad Band, who are apparently a funk band from “Sadville” , Texas (their website is listed as http://sxsw.com), came up with zero online references and currently sits alone on the schedule for Tuesday night at The Main.
    Who are We Are a Sad Band? If there was ever a tongue-in-cheek secret moniker, this would be it. Share any thoughts below as this mystery surely will continue to unravel over the next few weeks…
    (Update - 2/20/13) Nate Headden, OEB writer and resident sleuth, put together a solid case that We Are A Sad Band is none other than Thom Yoke’s Atoms for Peace. Again, this is purely a rumor at this point, but some interesting notes:
    - If this is a secret show, then the artist would have to be a pretty big name to necessitate a non-listed showcase, especially off the official SXSW roster.
    - We Are A Sad Band has a tongue-in-cheek tone to it. Who would be a band that may be hastily called a “sad band” by press? Radiohead ended up being the first name we called out.
    - A secret SXSW showcase would normally coincide with a major release. Radiohead hasn’t been in the studio, but Yorke’s Atoms For Peace is releasing AMOK next week.
    - Yorke and Nigel Godrich recently inferred there will be some tour dates coming soon in a Reddit “Ask Me Anything” session this week.
    - And our smoking gun. While AMOK is being released next week, a 12” is set to follow in the UK on March 11, which would mean a US release should coincide with March 12, the day of the showcase. Not only that, the 12” will also contain a non-album B-side. The name of the B-side: SAD.
    http://operationeveryband.com/post/43541093972

8/25 Sleep @ Stage 48
    8/30 Heavy Blanket @ Union Pool
    8/30 Black Pus @ BNB
    8/30 Hernan Cattaneo b2b Guy J @ Verboten
    8/31 DJ Qu/Lauren Ritter @ Paper Box

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

address is stubbs. i think you're right about AFP.
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 5 - Seth Troxler
    September 9 - Black Vice
    September 11 - Earthless
    September 14 - Lily Allen
    September 16 - Earth
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    September 23 - Andy Stott
    October 2 - Beck
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 20 - Mastodon
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Festival
    October 29 - The Melvins
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 15 - Primus
    November 18 - Slayer

http://sxsw.com/music/news/sxsw-musi...hno-technology

This should be very interesting

SXSW will see two of Canada and electronic music's most visionary and influential artists 'in conversation', capping off our convergence-focused Music programming on Tuesday, March 12th at the Austin Convention Center. In a world exclusive for SXSW, techno and technology adventurer and world-leading DJ Richie Hawtin will engage on-stage with deadmau5 – one of the most globally-renowned electronic artists period. Together, they are considered the most innovative in terms of music's interaction with technology. "deadmau5 & Richie Hawtin: Talk. Techno. Technology." will see both artists discuss their careers with a huge focus on innovations in technology and the power of social media.

The Flaming Lips, Jim James and Divine Fits will be playing Friday at Auditorium Shores. This will be a guaranteed cluster fuck of people, but I want to go see Jim James if possible. I think Thursday was all Latin bands and Saturday was a Levon Helm tribute among other things. I saw the Strokes there and it was retarded packed getting there late. They eventually reached capacity for that show.

For recent info on twitter, @cameronatsxsw posts a lot of god info among other sources.

Kendrick Lamar headlines the Spin party which was not hard to get into last year also.
    Photos.

Damn, I wish that show was on Thursday. Thursday is looking light to me so far. Hopefully, Mess with Texas has something special in store for us.

Mess With Texas is a no go this year. Confirmed by cameraonatsxsw from funfunfunfest on twitter.

Disappointing. But that's how it goes. I wish they did something at waterloo park again. MWTX was at its best when it was there.
    Photos.

Damn, that sucks. Mess with Texas the year NOFX, Jay Reatard and Fucked Up played at Waterloo was my favorite. Fat Mike taunting the Breeders was hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by Spooks View Post
    2 days before NYC set? Makes sense Thom + Nigel will be @ SXSW....

http://operationeveryband.com/post/43541093972
    Not sure if this detective work would've changed my plans, but now I'm a Sad for not arriving until Wednesday.

loving the lineups so far this year, can't wait to see when the hip-hop lineups drop.

very excited about my showcase, if everyone confirms it's gonna be a GREAT lineup.

last year was awesome. free shins show for about 200 people in the old spaghetti warehouse-turned-million dollar vevo production, open patron bar. completely free, completely badgeless. just RSVPd.
    this year is stacked as well. lot of the coachella bands will get a preview. compiling a list now.

crazy to think that about 7000 people will be here for that week....in the bands alone.
    Last edited by Y0UNGBL00D; 02-24-2013 at 02:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PJandBompton View Post
    loving the lineups so far this year, can't wait to see when the hip-hop lineups drop.

very excited about my showcase, if everyone confirms it's gonna be a GREAT lineup.
    your showcase?

Spotify House RSVP. I think it was taking the MWTX location.

http://sxspotify.com/
    Photos.

Depeche Mode confirmed for SXSW

Quote Originally Posted by rideincircles View Post
    Mess With Texas is a no go this year. Confirmed by cameraonatsxsw from funfunfunfest on twitter.

Disappointing. But that's how it goes. I wish they did something at waterloo park again. MWTX was at its best when it was there.
    Waterloo park is tore up for the next couple years until the waller creek work is done, this is why funfest moved.

The outdoor stage for the Thrasher Death Match at Scoot Inn on Wed is killer. Sat has Clutch headlining and Thursday is pretty damn solid too. http://www.thrashermagazine.com/arti...-2013-line-up/

Wed
    Bands: OUTDOOR:
    5PM – THE ADOLESCENTS
    4PM – WAVVES
    3PM – TRASH TALK
    2PM – HANNI EL KHATIB
    1PM – THE COATHANGERS
    12PM – ARTIC

INDOOR:
    5:30PM – FIDLAR
    4:30PM – THE SHRINE
    3:30PM – PANGEA
    2:30PM – DIRTY FENCES
    1:30PM – ALL EYES WEST
    12:30PM – LOW FAT GETTING HIGH

SATURDAY is heavy

OUTDOOR:
    5PM - CLUTCH
    4PM - ORANGE GOBLIN
    3PM - BLACK BREATH
    2PM - KADAVAR
    1PM - POWER TRIP
    12PM - HATRED SURGE

INDOOR:
    5:30PM - IRON LUNG
    4:30PM - MAMMOTH GRINDER
    3:30PM - ROYAL THUNDER
    2:30PM - ANCIENT VVISDOM
    1:30PM - BAPTISTS
    12:30PM - FREEDOM HAWK
    Last edited by Timestretch; 02-27-2013 at 03:04 PM.

I went and paid for RSVPster and then found this site that does the same thing for free. https://sx.getwillcall.com/ It rsvp'ed me to 100 parties last night.
    Coachella Vet. 03,05,07,08,09,10,11,12,13,and 14

Quote Originally Posted by ElBlueblazer View Post
    I went and paid for RSVPster and then found this site that does the same thing for free. https://sx.getwillcall.com/ It rsvp'ed me to 100 parties last night.
    Any way to control which e-mail address / info it uses for RSVPs? Just signing in may have subscribed my main account to a million lists?

Create a new email address just for RSVPs.

Quote Originally Posted by joshc View Post
    Any way to control which e-mail address / info it uses for RSVPs? Just signing in may have subscribed my main account to a million lists?