Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: SXSW 2013

Default Re: SXSW 2013

Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    Trinidad James, Tegan & Sara, Vampire Weekend, Heiroglyphics, JMSN, Tommy Trash, DWNTWN and more. I respect it
    you forgot Peter Rosenberg...LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOO how/why is he on the list of artists???

Pac Div got the add too.

Fader Fort is gonna go off for "All Gold Everything", Macklemore is probably going to headline a day there. Hopefully we get CuDi as the surprise headliner. i've got someone playing Fader on one of my showcases, as well as one of the acts that just got announced.

11/21 - Pearl Jam - Viejas Arena

This easily one tops festivals in the world I would like to attend ...maybe next year.
    Translation

Rufus Wainwright @ Stern Grove 07/27/14
    Xiu Xiu @ BoTH 08/01/14
    FYF @ LA Sport Area 08/23 - 08/24/14
    Swans @ The Independent 08/08/14
    Decibel Festival @ Seattle 09/24 - 09/28/14
    War on Drugs @ Fillmore 10/05/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14

Last.fm

The good news keeps coming with a few new acts showing up with the launch of the sxsw scheduler including Beach Fossils, Ryan Hemsworth, and Diamond Rings.

All booked for flights etc now. Looks like I might end up working with a couple of artists now, which will probably impede a bit on who I can see. Should be fun, regardless.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

Can someone direct me to a good thread with a wealth of information about attending ACL. I'm hoping to go for my first time this year. Evidently I fail at searching this forum and at life. Thanks.
    Four Tet - Mohawk - 3/1
    Mac Demarco - Mohawk - 4/13

There's an ACL thread in this section. It's my least favorite festival/music event. I would spend your money elsewhere.

‎Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds will play SXSW NPR Music Showcase at Stubb’s on 13th March.

In addition SXSW Film and Music will host Nick Cave In Conversation with New York based author Larry Sloman on 12 March.

More info: www.nickcave.com
    http://www.npr.org/blogs/allsongs/20...e?sc=fb&cc=fmp

7/22 Neutral Milk Hotel @ Prospect Park
    7/23 Witch @ MHOW
    7/24 Teenage Fanclub @ Pier 84
    7/24 Lauren Ritter @ TBA
    7/25 Nick Cave @ Prospect Park
    7/26 Cell Injection/Black Asteroid @ Output

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

I'm heading to SXSW for the first time in a couple of years. It should be fun checking out how much crazier its gotten!
    2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012.1, 2013.1, 2014.1
    -----
    http://www.last.fm/user/djoz187

5.24 William Fitzsimmons @ Troubador
    6.3 Preatures @ Echo
    6.5 Jezabels @ El Rey
    8.7 Eminem & Rhianna @ Rose Bowl
    8.23 & 8.24 FYF Fest

There's a rumor that Depeche Mode may appear at SXSW, but I'll believe it when I see it.

I'm a UT student looking to fund my Coachella trip this year by renting out my 400 sf studio apartment here in central Austin. The apartment is about 2.3 miles away from downtown and is conveniently located close to the bus lines (note that I also am near the night owl bus line as well which is important for those who will be staying out late.) I am also walking distance from several restaurants, grocery stores, bars and cafes. It will be 75 a night and I'm mainly looking for someone who will be staying the whole 10 days. It's a good deal considering that smaller hotel rooms are going for almost double, plus I have a kitchen so you can save money that way by eating in and buying groceries.

if anyone is interested send me a PM or email me at robertkgarcia@utexas.edu
    Last edited by robertrulez; 01-23-2013 at 03:17 PM.

I might be in touch with you shortly

11/21 - Pearl Jam - Viejas Arena

Here is a list of current parties.

http://i.do512.com/c/sx2013/events/a...13/03/08/?time

Do512 is one of the best resources for figuring out what to do and see.

Other bands rumored: Flaming Lips, Hot Chip, Cut Copy and Muse. I wonder if Tame Impala might drop by after there tour.

I go every year since 2008 and may try to get a wristband, but I have never had one before and haven't needed it, but it would be useful. I had no chance for Fiona or Miike Snow last year.

Last year I spent less than $300 for Wednesday thru Saturday at sxsw for my entire trip, but I have friends to stay with. A badge would be awesome, but I doubt I will ever spend the money on that. I do plan on getting there Tuesday this year since Friday and Saturday are ridiculously packed.

I wish they would move it away from spring break weekend. Combine that and sxsw along with St. Patricks day and it can be a tad crowded.

I will stop by more often and can answer lots of questions. I usually go to sxsw, acl and funfunfunfest every year.
    I go to shows and festivals.
    Photos.
    http://www.facebook.com/photos.php?id=174734597279
    Over 1000 youtube videos from concerts
    http://http://www.youtube.com/thefestivalninja

There are so many free shows, that I just don't see the point of getting a badge. And the shows that were badge-only, you can surely find a way in if you try hard enough.

I'm sure we'll be seeing more USA dates soon

METZ

We will be performing at this year's SXSW Festival in Austin, TX. Dates, shows, free beer deals ect. all coming very soon.

7/22 Neutral Milk Hotel @ Prospect Park
    7/23 Witch @ MHOW
    7/24 Teenage Fanclub @ Pier 84
    7/24 Lauren Ritter @ TBA
    7/25 Nick Cave @ Prospect Park
    7/26 Cell Injection/Black Asteroid @ Output

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

Surprised Metz weren't on the Coachella lineup

So - where do you start research-wise with a lineup this big? A lot of artists I know, but am interested in checking out some new music, rather than the familiar. With 1700 acts, it's going to take a while.
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

Easiest approach is to wait until the parties or showcases are announced and then find the artists you know (and want to see) and then check out the other artists on that showcase. Of course, you will miss a lot of bands that you potentially like, but never gave a chance. Otherwise, start with the 1700 and add anything you potentially like into a youtube playlist that you can listen to while you do other stuff. Then narrow down what you really like from there. I also keep a txt document in my phone of 5 or 6 showcases each day. You never know what showcase will be hard to get into to so having multiple plans for each day is a good thing. If there's a huge line at one event, then I move onto the next thing on my list.

Here's a link to a youtube playlist of random SX artists. I'll do more as I have time.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hgwo9...ZR77x6GOJULRNj
    Last edited by Timestretch; 02-11-2013 at 04:10 PM. Reason: added playlist

do512.com Is one of the best resources for finding out bands playing sxsw.

They have a whole section for sxsw and will post the rsvp's, line-ups, parties and bands schedules playing sxsw and will usually add youtube videos to check out the bands. You can create a schedule of shows based on their site.

Recommending bands here is another good option.
    Photos.

I was just confirmed for a music badge and am hunting for places to stay. Unsurprisingly, downtown is fully booked. I'm wait listing for a hotel, but am weighing airbnb vs far-flung hotels. Any tips on good non-downtown neighborhoods? Or spare hotel rooms?

Looks like im making the trip this year! Now all I have to do is find a place to crash like a few of you.
    Coachella Vet. 03,05,07,08,09,10,11,12,13,and 14

There are a bunch of hotels along I-35 ranging from the "I wouldn't touch anything" Rodeway Inn to the fairly nice La Quinta. Anything around I-35 and Oltorf is about a $12-$15 cab ride to downtown. Or you can go North up to 183 and you are looking at about a $15-$20 cab ride. These places also get sold out during the conference. The other concentration of hotels (and nice ones) is around the intersection of highways 1 and 183, but these are far from downtown.

Anyway, first free showcase I've seen. Kid Congo from Nick Cave/Gun Club/Cramps. Audacity and Eagulls are far down my list of stuff to see this year so probably not going to this, but I like the name Sexbeat Party.

I was close to doing AirBNB last year, but got hooked up with a friend of a friend.
    I would do AirBNB and look for a place east of the convention center near East 6th St. Lots of food and music options along East 6th. Though it might be late in the game to find a place in that area. Even if it costs the same price as a hotel, I'd stick to an AirBNB East 6th place.
    Bring or rent a bike (one of the bike stores even offers to drop off the bike wherever you're staying) instead of renting a car. It was a godsend. Traffic during sxsw is insane and it'll cost a pretty penny to park. Also, you'll want the convenience and maneuverability of a bike. I found myself venue hopping a LOT. It costs a bit to rent a bike, but you'll save in the end. And it's completely flat from East 6th to the convention center, so it's an easy bike ride.

Thanks for the advice! Airbnb is already pretty insanely booked and/or expensive. I've found a couple rooms and/or craigslist options in what I think is on the south side of "East Austin" -- a few blocks south of East 6th (Caesar Chavez/Comal area). Wondering if this is sufficiently inside the bubble?

If not, I think my badge will still get me access to non-terrible rates at some of the outlying hotels, though I'd rather not have to rely so heavily on shuttles and taxis.

Quote Originally Posted by joshc View Post
    Thanks for the advice! Airbnb is already pretty insanely booked and/or expensive. I've found a couple rooms and/or craigslist options in what I think is on the south side of "East Austin" -- a few blocks south of East 6th (Caesar Chavez/Comal area). Wondering if this is sufficiently inside the bubble?

If not, I think my badge will still get me access to non-terrible rates at some of the outlying hotels, though I'd rather not have to rely so heavily on shuttles and taxis.
    I'd say that's a good location. A few blocks North from 4th to 6th east of I35 is a bunch of venues---lot's of free shows. And then a high concentration of SX activities between Congress and I35 between 1st and 6th streets. Although there is still a lot of venues outside of this area: 6th past Lamar, Red River from 5th to 11th, S. Congress. There's also a growing number of venues and shows on Rainey Street. So most of that is within walking distance. The issue is you will most likely be walking/running back and forth to these areas all day---for 4 or so days---so the bike suggestion is a good one. At that location, I wouldn't mind getting up each day and walking to venues, but I wouldn't be making trips back and forth throughout the day and I'd probably find a peddie cab to take me home each night.

This is coming up quick and I'm getting excited.

3 days on a bike at sxsw will leave one completely exhausted on Saturday. You can always check pawn shops for cheap bikes or even a walmart crap bike. I got a $35 bmx bike at a pawn shop for sxsw after having mine stolen at sxsw from the the base of the stairs when I was on my friends front porch laughing at my friend imitating sexy sax man. Bike thieves can be determined in Austin, but usually don't mess with locked up bikes. That was ballsy though.

Today's news adds Yeah Yeah Yeahs to the NPR showcase and the Warner Sound line-up is out with Flaming Lips.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/ne...-sxsw-showcase

Thursday would be good.

Also, buy an extra iphone battery backup. So necessary for sxsw.

I have a twitter sxsw list, and keep the important ones in my feed also.
    Photos.

Filter parties announced.

RSVP TO EVERYTHING!

Quote Originally Posted by sonofhal View Post
    RSVP TO EVERYTHING!
    I told myself that I'd never go back without a badge and here I am, booking a trip with no badge. I'm hoping that I dont get shut out from too many of these parties.

Im considering paying 30 bucks for a service that does the RSVPing for you. Have any of you tried anything like it. http://www.rsvpster.com/order/
    Last edited by ElBlueblazer; 02-13-2013 at 02:03 PM.