Page 528 of 699 FirstFirst ... 523524525526527528529530531532533 ... LastLast
Results 15,811 to 15,840 of 20943

Thread: 2013 Lineup Confirmation/Rumors Thread

Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar

Default Re: 2013 Lineup Confirmation/Rumors Thread

Quote Originally Posted by thizzin my brains out View Post
    Not really facts, more an educated guess. For example, let's say Bowie isn't opposed to the idea of a one-off. Well, you can't do that at coachella. Now you would have to have a two-off, and that is much less likely to happen with someone like Bowie, who explicitly says he does not like playing to large audiences and has had health problems of late.

Also, having the festival over two weekends with two identical lineups makes it less likely for goldenvoice to book the expensive acts, like the Rolling Stones. You know why? Because it would be twice as expensive.

Logic. I know it can be scary.
    Yes, that is some good logic. So let's break it down.

75,000 tickets x 300 per ticket (it's a little more, but let's just call it 300 for fun) = 22.5 million dollars. Let's say The Rolling Stones cost 9 million--a ludicrous figure, but I'm doing everything I can to help your logic.

1 weekend: Coachella nets 13.5 million.

But with 2 weekends, you're right, watch! They make 22.5 million twice so 45 million...
    and then they... have to pay the Rolling Stones 18 million..
    and somehow Coachella makes 27 million.

WHOA, THAT'S CRAZY! HOW DID THEY END UP MAKING MORE MONEY?!
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

VigoTheCarpathian

Oh man

Coachella will sell all those tickets without having to pay out the ass for the Rolling Stones. So they don't. They book the black keys and dr. Dre and fucking snoop dog, or whoever the fuck they skimped on this year

WEIGHT!! The Rolling Stones are the only act booked at Coachella??? Or are there more acts playing for free.

(I agree with what you're saying, but you gave a horrible breakdown)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrhand View Post
    Keep on chugging. 788 more posts and you can submit your application.
    PARTYNEXTDOOR for 2014

Math. I know it can be scary.

Oh my breakdown was the problem?
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Yes, that is some good logic. So let's break it down.

75,000 tickets x 300 per ticket (it's a little more, but let's just call it 300 for fun) = 22.5 million dollars. Let's say The Rolling Stones cost 9 million--a ludicrous figure, but I'm doing everything I can to help your logic.

1 weekend: Coachella nets 13.5 million.

But with 2 weekends, you're right, watch! They make 22.5 million twice so 45 million...
    and then they... have to pay the Rolling Stones 18 million..
    and somehow Coachella makes 27 million.

WHOA, THAT'S CRAZY! HOW DID THEY END UP MAKING MORE MONEY?!
    I'm siding with you here, but just wanted to post the real numbers to support your logic. FACT: Facts have a liberal bias

Coachella 2012 had $47,313,403 in gross ticket sales and attendance of 158,387 for the two weekends combined, according to Billboard Boxscore.
    Now on to the Rolling Stones.

The Rolling Stones grossed a little over 32 million dollars (24 million euros) for the 5 dates.
    Divide that by 5 since each date was played at a venue around the same size of 20,000, and you get an average of 6.4 million dollars in gross ticket sales per show.

Now the guessing. My guess is that Goldenvoice was offering 10 million for the 2 weekends but the Stones wanted close to 14, and they couldn't come to a compromise price.
    Last edited by ameeps; 01-18-2013 at 10:02 PM.

Check out my concert photos http://www.flickr.com/photos/ameeps/
    August
    1 - Arcade Fire - Forum
    2 - Arcade Fire - Forum
    4 - Arcade Fire - Santa Barbara Bowl
    8-10 - Outside Lands - Golden Gate Park
    14 - Death From Above 1979 - Troubadour
    20 - The Strokes - Chelsea at Cosmopolitan

VigoTheCarpathian

Coachella will sell all those tickets without having to pay out the ass for the Rolling Stones. So they don't. They book the black keys and dr. Dre and fucking snoop dog, or whoever the fuck they skimped on this year
    But that wasn't your point was it. Pussy liar.

Plus, if coach doesn't deliver then it becomes less relevant and can't sell out two weekends
    Last edited by VigoTheCarpathian; 01-18-2013 at 10:59 PM. Reason: La Politesse

And there's the fact that they wouldn't likely pay a complete performance fee twice, since part of that goes to load in, travel and everything, and some of those fees can get cut down by having an act play twice. Sure, they have to house them for a week between the two fests, but from the talk I heard last year the artists village became a killer place for bands to kick band and travel to shows in the nearby area.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Oh will you look at that, my rough approximations were almost EXACTLY on the fucking money.

FUCK YOU.

Like I said, coachella is less likely to book expensive acts. Because they make more money by booking cheaper ones. Really not that hard to wrap your head around.
    Last edited by thizzin my brains out; 01-18-2013 at 10:01 PM.

VigoTheCarpathian

Like I said, coachella is less likely to book expensive acts. Because they make more money by booking cheaper ones. Really not that hard to wrap your head around.
    You make more money by curating a shitty product?
    Last edited by VigoTheCarpathian; 01-18-2013 at 10:59 PM. Reason: La Politesse

This is just so blatantly false. You're calling Radiohead or SHM cheap acts to book? I bet SHM charges an insane amount for their terrible cheese show.

I'm going to repeat Vigo, because he's right and you're wrong. If Coachella books cheap crappy acts this year then guess what, next year people won't go. If less people go, they make less money. If they make less money, suits at AEG get mad and start firing people. If people get fired and ticket sales are down, Coachella downsizes to one weekend. If they downsize to one weekend, people think Coachella is dying. If people think Coachella is dying, they stop going. I now pronounce Coachella dead.

tldr NO, YOU ARE WRONG
    Last edited by ameeps; 01-18-2013 at 10:07 PM.

August
    1 - Arcade Fire - Forum
    2 - Arcade Fire - Forum

Ticket sales are not the only revenue GV rakes in. How much do you think they make on "Coachella" branded T-shirts, skims of performing artists merch, and selling space to vendors? Not to mention the incredible amount of buzz based on how crazy their lineup is, which helps stir up demand and revenue the following year.

Hence why they're inclined to book crazy ass expensive acts. Rolling Stones is hella plausible.
    The Knife - Beck - The Cult - Motorhead - QOTSA - Outkast - The Replacements - Bryan Ferry - Pet Shop Boys - Temples - Crosses - Washed Out - The Preatures - Little Dragon - Mogwai - Broken Bells - Jon Spencer - Tiga - The Internet - Blood Orange - Naked and the Famous - The Knife - The Knife - The Knife - The Knife

No you make more money by taking in more and spending less.

Quitter

I thought I read somewhere that they offered The Smiths $5 million to reunite? I doubt any act would get more than that to play, since The Smiths are their dream act. Unless it was $5 million per weekend? But still... I don't see anyone getting more than what they would offer The Smiths. There's no way they are offering The Rolling Stones $10 million or something ridiculous (in my opinion).

If your product noticeably goes down in quality and appeal (Coachella booking cheaper and crappier acts), less people buy it tickets It's a non-price determinant of demand called consumer rates and preferences. Then they make less money. You don't seem to have mastered Economics 101.
    Last edited by ameeps; 01-18-2013 at 10:12 PM.

August
    1 - Arcade Fire - Forum
    2 - Arcade Fire - Forum

VigoTheCarpathian

Ah, so being financially austere is equitable to producing a worthless product.

You think in one dimension you tard.

lol

VigoTheCarpathian

And to think I was defending this bumbling buffoon

Doesn't this all assume that being expensive essentially equates to being quality? Because Bon Jovi's million dollar booking fee begs to differ.
    Quote Originally Posted by HandBanana View Post
    with all the pain in the world and Urban Outfitters sadding the navajo yall should not use the word "scalpers" please increase the peace.

Quote Originally Posted by ameeps View Post
    If your product noticeably goes down in quality and appeal (Coachella booking cheaper and crappier acts), less people buy it.
    I don't think most people have realized that no matter the lineup Coachella will sell out ridiculously quick for the the next few years at the least. Any who doubts that is in denial that their beloved festival has gone mainstream or whatever you want to say.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrhand View Post
    Keep on chugging. 788 more posts and you can submit your application.
    PARTYNEXTDOOR for 2014

Goldenvoice is in business to make money. They can book wonderfully talented artists from all kinds of genres without having to pay premium for acts like the Rolling Stones, or U2, or whoever the fuck else. And that is exactly what they do.

Quote Originally Posted by Jman4321 View Post
    Doesn't this all assume that being expensive essentially equates to being quality? Because Bon Jovi's million dollar booking fee begs to differ.
    Yea, the price of acts doesn't necessarily relate to quality. There's undeniably a correlation though (sure, there are outliers too), and then there's also the problem of defining quality. Many people think SHM are the most talented men in the universe. But regardless, Coachella certainly doesn't "need" to book The Rolling Stones or U2 at this point, i'll agree with Thizz on that. But they just tried really hard to book The Stones.....so that proves thizz's whole point false.
    Last edited by ameeps; 01-18-2013 at 10:21 PM.

August
    1 - Arcade Fire - Forum
    2 - Arcade Fire - Forum

Foster the People
    fun.
    Killers

Quote Originally Posted by Pea View Post
    Foster the People
    fun.
    Killers
    Now that would be the end of Coachella. Although we all know the top 2 will never headline, and the bottom should never headline again.

August
    1 - Arcade Fire - Forum
    2 - Arcade Fire - Forum

VigoTheCarpathian

Goldenvoice is in business to make money. They can book wonderfully talented artists from all kinds of genres without having to pay premium for acts like the Rolling Stones, or U2, or whoever the fuck else. And that is exactly what they do.
    Paul McCartney
    Madonna
    the whole history of coachella
    dumb dumb dumb

There will come a time when the festival has come and gone, and the trolls will leave the forum.

Only to return in 2014 with larger numbers than we have ever seen...

Because coachella is now 2 weekends the exclusivity of it is completely gone. A group like the knife, or Bowie, or even daft punk are now less likely to play coachella because it is two weekends. It isn't nearly as sexy. Also, I'm sure that bands have to turn down offers to play now all the time because of scheduling conflicts with one of the two weekends.
    totally don't agree considering that goldenvoice had that whole opportunity for bands to play venues in la, San Diego, era the week inbetween last year. plus like others said the heftier paycheck a for playing two weekends vs one
    Quote Originally Posted by juloxx View Post
    You shut your whore mouth when your talking about Glee

They are not in business to make the wet-dreams of the people on this message board come true. They don't need to book daft punk. They can book deadmau5 instead. Stones? Fuck them, they will just get the black keys again. And a rare get like the knife? Get knife party, no one will fucking know the difference.

Unfortunately the demographics of coachella is changing. What used be a festival for toss with more informed taste in current musical trends and established "indie" artists is now a two weekend party that attracts people who are of less refined tastes and lower expectations, to out it kindly.