Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AEG for Is Up For Sale. Will Coachella/Goldenvoice Change?

Default AEG Is Up For Sale. Will Coachella/Goldenvoice Change?

Well? I just think its really strange that AEG is thinking about it when they are 6 months away from getting a Football team and a shitload of money....

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/huff-w...8/us-aeg-sale/

Anschutz Entertainment Group, the owner of the Staples Center arena and the NHL's Los Angeles Kings, and the top contender to build a stadium and bring the NFL back to Los Angeles, is up for sale, its parent company said Tuesday.

The Denver-based Anschutz Co. said in a statement that it is "commencing a process" to sell the subsidiary known as AEG and had hired Blackstone Advisory Partners as an adviser.

It wasn't immediately clear how far along the company is in the sale process, or whether it has entertained any offers, but the price for AEG could be well into the billions.

The sale would mean a major ground shift in sports and entertainment in Los Angeles and around the world.

AEG's holdings also include pro soccer's Los Angeles Galaxy, part-ownership of the NBA's Los Angeles Lakers, and major entertainment and real estate holdings in downtown Los Angeles. Outside of L.A., AEG owns Major League Soccer's Houston Dynamo and New York's Barclay's Center, the new home of the NBA's Brooklyn Nets. It also owns arenas in Sweden, China and Australia.

The sale would also throw uncertainty into LA's nearly two-decade attempt to bring the NFL back to the city. The City Council is considering the approval of plans for Farmers Field, a downtown stadium proposed by AEG.

Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa said he has long known of the possibility of a sale, and both Denver billionaire Phillip Anschutz and AEG President Tim Leiweke have assured him the city's NFL hopes will remain the same.

"I have worked with both Phil Anschutz and Tim Leiweke for years to bring a football team to Los Angeles. I speak to both of them on a regular basis and I have known about this potential sale for some time," the mayor said in a statement Tuesday night. "I have the commitment from both of them that this won't affect plans for an NFL team to return to Los Angeles in the near future and so will not affect my support for moving ahead with Farmers Field."

Councilwoman Jan Perry, whose district includes the proposed stadium site, said she did not know about a pending sale but agreed that it wouldn't have adverse effects on courting an NFL team.

"The city has done a good job of protecting the taxpayer's interest in negotiating an agreement," Perry told The Associated Press, "so whoever steps into the shoes of Mr. Anschutz will have the same obligations."

Perry said the move "arguably is very positive" because she suspected it could lead to an enthusiastic new partner anxious to get in on the city's NFL prospects.

The potential sale was first reported by the Wall Street Journal.

AEG transformed the Los Angeles landscape with the building of Staples Center and the later addition of the LA Live entertainment complex, helping to revitalize the city's long-neglected downtown and bring new energy and several championships to its sports teams.

Opening in 1999, the Staples Center is among the world's busiest arenas. It hosted six playoff games in four days for its main tenants – the NBA's Lakers and Clippers, and the NHL's Kings, who won their first Stanley Cup in June.
    Last edited by suprefan; 09-18-2012 at 09:09 PM.

Default Re: AEG for Is Up For Sale. Will Coachella/Goldenvoice Change?

Coachella is projected to not be as cool in the next few years, must sell, sell, sell!

AEG is anti-gay, so this is a good thing.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

You mean Anschutz is against gay marriage (Well, Phillip Anschutz is, I doubt that that stance is necessairy upheld by the whole board of directors, shareholders, employers, etc of the Anschutz company and their subsidiaries). AEG ( which in turn owns Goldenvoice) is what is under the consideration of being sold.
    last.fm
    4/5/14 - Trentemoller - Fonda // 4/9/14 - The Knife - Fox Theater Pomona // 4/22/14 - Dillinger Escape Plane - Glasshouse// 5/23/14 - 5/26/14 Punk Rock Bowling - Las Vegas
    5/28/14 - Elbow - Wiltern // 7/9/14 - Cloud Nothings - Roxy // 8/25/14 - Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    Even if it Daft Punk were to come out who cares. Not like they're Bono or anything

Q: Will Goldenvoice change?
    A: No. A company that's secure in itself to hold a event every year until 2030, is not in jeopardy of a shitstorm.
    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Smooches. =)

Quote Originally Posted by nyarlathotoats View Post
    Q: Will Goldenvoice change?
    A: No. A company that's secure in itself to hold a event every year until 2030, is not in jeopardy of a shitstorm.
    They pushed back signing a deal til March fo next year. The same time when AEG will find out if they get an nfl team. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.

blue/green planet, 3 from the sun, can't miss it

Until I few months ago i thought Goldenvoice was still owned by Paul T and was surprised to find out a large conglomete owns it, Anschutz Entertainment Group en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anschutz_Entertainment_Group. Any company big enough to own a bunch of arenas like Staples Center, AEG Live and major shares of teams seems huge, with Goldenvoice as just a tiny part. Then to find out that is is only part of an even bigger collection of companies en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Anschutz_Corporation ...

I wouldn't think anything would happen to Coachella or Goldenvoice, as am sure they are pretty profitable and small in relation to all the other parts of AEG, but it is a bit scary. I would hope it doesn't get smooched or bought by a huge company that would pay too much attention Goldenvoice/Coachella and want to sell more ad space or hype a soft drink, or cross market with other holdings, or micromange the event or only have artists from their other companies play or something.

as an aside: some of AEG's choice of movie projects seem pretty right wing... least they left Chella alone
    Last edited by Hawkings; 09-18-2012 at 11:23 PM.
    04' 05' 07' 08' 09' 10' 11' 12' 13'
    Metric, Of Monsters, Local Natives, Beach House, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Band of Horses, Stone Roses, Foals, Tegan and Sara or How to Destroy 2 Bears, Violent Femmes, Portugal, Hot Chip, Spiritualized, Simian Mobile or Postal, Moby, New Order, Sigur Ros DIIV, Oh Sees, Grimes, Paul K, Oakey, Vampire Weekend, Pretty LIghts, OMD, WU, RHCP, Dead Can Dance

^ movie projects? plz elaborate

Maybe it will be bought by Bain Capital.

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    They pushed back signing a deal til March fo next year. The same time when AEG will find out if they get an nfl team. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.
    ancient-aliens.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

Yes.

This is not good news for Goldenvoice.

It is impossible to know the impact/influence of a new owner until the sale is made.

However, it is very possible that if someone pays 7BN for a collection of assets, they might want to squeeze that orange for every last drop.

It could result in the addition of corporate sponsorships, parking fees, or worse (if the extension isn't in place before the sale is made.)

Coachella is arguably the most valuable brand on the festival circuit at present. There is a lot more money to be made here. In the wrong hands, it could lead to exploitation.

old school

Doesn't the Coachella Festival make money on hotel packages? Other festivals don't have that option, with local laws being a factor.

Default AEG For Sale

It was widely reported that the entire AEG empire is up for sale. I suspect it is largely because they have moved the ball well down the field toward the goal of getting a football stadium in LA. AEG is the parent of of GV, as most of you know, which is why this is pertinent to this board.

I'm trying to run through in my head whether this will affect our beloved little festival and my sense is that they will either leave it (and GV) alone or spin it off to someone else. Either way, with the event so profitable and it likely being run pretty hands-off by AEG in the first place, I don't see much, if any change to the festival and/or GV. I just hope I'm right.

Default Re: AEG For Sale

paging Supre

Quote Originally Posted by xuclarockerx View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlas_Shrugged_(film), Atlas Shrugged, the right wing fairy tale. Also the CS Lewis series they probably liked due to the Christian themes, Chronicals of Narnia. Through Anschutz directly the fix our schools the privatizing right wing way movies, Waiting for Superman (pro-charter school) and We Won't Back Down (getting charter school through 'parent-trigger')
    Metric, Of Monsters, Local Natives, Beach House, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Band of Horses, Stone Roses, Foals, Tegan and Sara or How to Destroy 2 Bears, Violent Femmes, Portugal, Hot Chip, Spiritualized, Simian Mobile or Postal, Moby, New Order, Sigur Ros DIIV, Oh Sees, Grimes, Paul K, Oakey, Vampire Weekend, Pretty LIghts, OMD, WU, RHCP, Dead Can Dance

tertiary article about impact on LA sports http://sports.yahoo.com/news/planned...9734--nfl.html

Default Re: AEG Is Up For Sale. Will Coachella/Goldenvoice Change?

None of you fucking know shit. Choke on dicks.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Default Re: AEG For Sale

whoever buys AEG will get Coachella (AEG owns 50% of Coachella)
    they dont want to sell just parts of it, but the whole thing - if you have 8 billion dollars, you get lakers, kings, staples center, all of the 02 arenas throughout the world, coachella etc etc

i think they understand this business is at its peak now, all of the little parts of the company are doing great, and its a great time to sell it as a whole

but the problem is there are not that many players out there with 8 billion in their hands

But I have an article on the internet!

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    None of you fucking know shit.
    This includes me. However,

Quote Originally Posted by grichsgang View Post
    I don't see much, if any change to the festival and/or GV.
    stikes me as naive, because

Quote Originally Posted by n3glect View Post
    it is very possible that if someone pays 7BN for a collection of assets, they might want to squeeze that orange for every last drop.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Default Re: AEG Is Up For Sale. Will Coachella/Goldenvoice Change?

Choke on dicks.
    I wish.

I honestly think Goldenvoice is such a small part of the package and it itself such a self-sustaining profit-maker that it doesn't make much sense to do anything to change it.

However, I would be surprised if potential buyers are looking at the purchase of AEG as a potential profit source in splitting up the assets and selling them individually to different parties. Buy 20 things for $8B and then sell them separately to potentially get back $9 or $10B via the separate sales.
    last.fm
    4/5/14 - Trentemoller - Fonda // 4/9/14 - The Knife - Fox Theater Pomona // 4/22/14 - Dillinger Escape Plane - Glasshouse// 5/23/14 - 5/26/14 Punk Rock Bowling - Las Vegas
    5/28/14 - Elbow - Wiltern // 7/9/14 - Cloud Nothings - Roxy // 8/25/14 - Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl

Even if it Daft Punk were to come out who cares. Not like they're Bono or anything

old school

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    I honestly think Goldenvoice is such a small part of the package and it itself such a self-sustaining profit-maker that it doesn't make much sense to do anything to change it.

However, I would be surprised if potential buyers are looking at the purchase of AEG as a potential profit source in splitting up the assets and selling them individually to different parties. Buy 20 things for $8B and then sell them separately to potentially get back $9 or $10B via the separate sales.
    A lot of that stuff is valuable because it's all under 1 umbrella and has significant potential for "synergy"!!

Quote Originally Posted by xuclarockerx View Post
    I think he did the Narnia series. Anschutz is also the dough behind the Foundation for a Better Life.

If I'm Stan Kroenke, I buy AEG to move my Rams, so I can immediately add $1BN in equity to the franchise. However, I'm still paying a considerable premium for the privilege. I need to offset that elsewhere.

If I'm Live Nation, my mouth is watering. I know this, and have my checkbook ready. I can overpay for the Goldenvoice assets, add to my venue empire, and eliminate a key competitor in tour bidding.

Just speculation, but one of many possible scenarios that would lead to a noticeable/significant change in GV/Coachella by the consumers.

Yep.

Best option for Coachella fans is that when AEG gets sold Tollett works some sort of buyout deal to take Goldenvoice back with him. Otherwise we're looking at the possibility of a Nickelback headline and a curtailed undercard.

Edit: don't read this as a prediction, it's more of a concern.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

If I'm Live Nation, my mouth is watering. I know this, and have my checkbook ready. I can overpay for the Goldenvoice assets, add to my venue empire, and eliminate a key competitor in tour bidding.
    Maybe. Anschutz tried to sell 1/2 of AEG to Tiecketmaster a few years ago and Ticketmaster instead merged with livenation.
    last.fm

LN doesnt need sports franchises or arenas. And this would be stopped just based off of Anti Trust issues alone. You actually think a legal deal could be made when AEG had been starting its own ticketing system to be able to have something as an alternative to ticketmaster/LN? And they gave them the keys to the house on the ticketing technology to begin with so the TM/LN deal could even pass through anti trust? No way.

None of you fucking know shit. Choke on dicks.
    I know shit! But I cant say anything. Trust..................
    Last edited by suprefan; 09-24-2012 at 08:54 PM.

I see it being broken up. Those vastly diversified holdings and risky/expensive nature of sports franchises etc. don't belong in a solo PE portfolio. This doesn't seem like a good "vanity" purchase either. Rather real estate assets one direction, sports teams another, festivals/music another, unless there are synergies between some (e.g. selling Lakers interest/Staples together).
    northside groove...southside groove....eastside groove...westside groove