Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Soundgarden - King Animal 11-13-12

Default Re: Soundgarden - King Animal 11-13-12

This album is fantastic. For a band that hasn't recorded together in 16 years they sound great. Stoked for the upcoming Wiltern shows.

I'm actually kind of sad that Detroit sold out so fast.. They're doing so much older material now. Even in 1996 they weren't doing much stuff before Badmotorfinger. Still, tickets were $75.

I'm going to see the mini-concert on Kimmel and the Fonda show next week. Post-Thanksgiving is brought to you by Soundgarden!

The new album really is a logical progression from Down on the Upside. It's better if you listen loud - the rocking songs sound less interesting at low volume. I especially like the fact that each song has its own MVPs - Ben shines on a couple, Kim on a couple, Matt on a couple, it's not just a handful of great songs and a bunch of filler.

I had hoped the album would be weirder, but that's a bit of a nebulous concept. I'm happy.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Fuuuuuuck have you guys been checking out the recent setlists? They are averaging 26 songs a night and are playing some amazing stuff. i am so happy to see Ty Cobb being played pretty much every night! This Sunday is going to be so amazing.
    last.fm
    6/15/14 Failure - Glasshouse // 7/9/14 Cloud Nothings/Metz - Roxy
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL
    9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

If anyone has a pit ticket for any of the shows, but preferably sunday, please let me know! thank you

Looks like more tickets opened up for Sunday's show at the Wiltern (including PIT & Floor levels). Hurry if you want to go!!

yes! in for sunday! appreciate everyones help! gonna be an epic show for sure, I hope they bust out 4th of July for Sunday

King Animal fits very well with the rest of their catalogue.

Soundgarden was the definition of rock and roll last night. Such a talented group of guys. Chris sounded amazing, and every one was in top form. The setlist was perfection imo, and seeing one of my favorite bands in one of my favorite venues was just really special. Closing the sets with 4th of July and Slaves and Bulldozers respectively and the immense noise that followed each of them was pretty hectic. Definitely one of the best shows I've seen. Gonna be hard to beat forsure.

Quote Originally Posted by swhite423 View Post
    Soundgarden was the definition of rock and roll last night. Such a talented group of guys. Chris sounded amazing, and every one was in top form. The setlist was perfection imo, and seeing one of my favorite bands in one of my favorite venues was just really special. Closing the sets with 4th of July and Slaves and Bulldozers respectively and the immense noise that followed each of them was pretty hectic. Definitely one of the best shows I've seen. Gonna be hard to beat forsure.
    Wow. You were hoping for 4th of July, they didn't play it either of the other two nights, and you got it (as a main set closer no less)? Fucking rad.
    7/23 - Fuzz - Troubadour (?)
    7/30 - Shabazz Palaces - Roxy (?)
    7/31 - Hamilton Leithauser - Echo (?)
    8/01 - Ceremony/Nothing - Roxy (?)
    8/06 - Herbie Hancock - Hollywood Bowl (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    Wow. You were hoping for 4th of July, they didn't play it either of the other two nights, and you got it (as a main set closer no less)? Fucking rad.
    Yeah I was beyond stoked!!! One of the heaviest songs i've ever seen performed live. The reverb was so intense. Just a great live moment.

It was a good set on Sunday night, but not great. This band is unfortunately not at the top of their game right now. Bleh stage energy, inconsistent tempos, and some really fucking awful visuals. All that said, i was very happy with the incredible setlist and they did sound good, but it just wasn't huge sonic kick in the ass I had been hoping for, especially when i've been having such a good music year - Neurosis and Quicksand were both light years ahead of these guys as far as live performances go.

Also, it was certainly noticeable to me that right now they feel much more comfor5table playing the new album than they do revisiting their old material. Whenever a new song started, the energy doubled and they played a lot tighter and with more confidence.
    last.fm
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL

I never saw them back in the day, but it is my understanding they were never a top notch live band. So to hear the lukewarm reception for their live show is not surprising. I still wish I could have seen a full set (I only got to see a 5 song KROQ surprise performance), but I wasn't about to pay $100/ticket.
    For your health

No Jesus Christ Pose = FAIL. Stop touring. Continue being old.
    LOL! <33
    Quote Originally Posted by Zafocaine View Post
    Great advertising strategy for her vagina though! As if having a vagina weren't all a vagina needed. Now introducing the Lustful Scorned Lover scent, by RSW.

Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    No Jesus Christ Pose = FAIL. Stop touring. Continue being old.
    What setlists are you looking at? it's been at most of their shows. They played it all 3 nights at the Wiltern.
    last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by luckyface View Post
    I never saw them back in the day, but it is my understanding they were never a top notch live band. So to hear the lukewarm reception for their live show is not surprising. I still wish I could have seen a full set (I only got to see a 5 song KROQ surprise performance), but I wasn't about to pay $100/ticket.
    I got an e-mail from my credit card last Friday or so indicating complimentary tickets to a Soundgarden performance on Sunday. I tried to get some but no dice. I wonder if it was the same thing as that KROQ performance; I'm sure it wasn't the main set.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Hey here's an idea. You know those people who are desperately poor, down on their luck, uneducated, abused, and generally ill-equipped for life? Let's make fun of them.