Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Soundgarden - King Animal 11-13-12

Default Soundgarden - King Animal 11-13-12

Well, it's official, Soundgarden fans are in for more than a quick cash grab tour. The band released a trailer for their new album, "King Animal", set to drop November 13, 2012, complete with some trippy psychadelic song rumored to be "Rowing" from the upcoming album. If you're not a Soundgarden fan, but you're starving for any decent rock music, it should be noted that the album was mixed by Joe Barresi, who also mixed Tool's "10,000 Days", Weezer's "Pinkerton", Queens of the Stone Age's "QotSA" and "Lullabies to Paralyze", and a bunch more. This is not a Bob Rock type radio play attempt.

What's more, the first single off the album, "Been Away Too Long" (yeah, nice generic name after that promising intro) is due to begin airplay this Wednesday, September 19, 2012... and there's an expectation that the band will tour through the fall. Yes, this is where you should post any news of warm-up shows around L.A.

Track listing is as follows:
    Been Away Too Long
    Non-State Actor
    By Crooked Steps
    A Thousand Days Before
    Blood On The Valley Floor
    Bones of Birds
    Taree
    Attrition
    Black Saturday
    Halfway There
    Worse Dreams
    Eyelid’s Mouth
    Rowing

And you can pre-order the deluxe edition on Amazon if you like. No details, but the price will probably go up from the $14 when the details rolls in.

Now back to your regularly-scheduled indie/commercial music discussion.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Default Re: Soundgarden - King Animal 11-13-12

I really really really hope this doesn't suck. "Live To Rise" was terrible.
    last.fm
    4/5/14 - Trentemoller - Fonda // 4/9/14 - The Knife - Fox Theater Pomona // 4/22/14 - Dillinger Escape Plane - Glasshouse// 5/23/14 - 5/26/14 Punk Rock Bowling - Las Vegas
    5/28/14 - Elbow - Wiltern // 7/9/14 - Cloud Nothings - Roxy // 8/25/14 - Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    Comments about she left the movie feeling bad and she one of those girls that fuck in the ass to saving her Vagina intercourse for marriage.

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    pretty much this.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

My expectations are pretty low, so it'll be hard for them to disappoint
    Follow me on Twitter at Klein25
    Foster the People - April 8 @ Pomona

Probably not even worth stealing.
    "why are you so annoying" TheKlein25

4/17 - Mogwai - El Rey (?)
    4/27 - Ghost BC - Fonda (?)
    4/29 - Franz Ferdinand - Wiltern (?)
    4/30 - Mono - Troubadour (?)
    5/03 - Philip Glass - Royce Hall

Quote Originally Posted by ThomThom View Post
    I want to get the members of Brand New and Chvrches in a line and have all of them executed in front of their fans.
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

If we were guaranteed no vocals, I'd be all for it. The time lapses of the mountains sold me.

The band works pretty hard to distance themselves from that song. The story goes that the studio asked them if they could throw something together very quickly, and they did. Sadly, it was a hit, but happily, every 12 year old that saw "The Avengers" heard that song instead of something by Finger Eleven or Incubus or whatever else might ruin their taste in music. Since few bands today are making rock records that even slightly compare to "Badmotorfinger", that's got to be a good thing.

“It sounds kind of stripped down and more streamlined than a lot of other songs we’ve been writing,” Cornell said of “The Avengers” cut. “But if you take any song out of context, from any one of our albums, going all the way back to our first Sub Pop EP, it’s not going to tell you anything about the songs around it. We’re just that way. This would fit on our record … but if there’s a way that it stands apart, this is fairly rhythmically straightforward.”

I'm frankly bored of all the effeminate asexual hipster bands that follow the "Get a trust fund, Buy a keyboard, Record a few songs, Get a TV commercial, Play at EVERY U.S. festival" career track, so I'm hopeful that some of the rockers regain at least a little stature. Just because it's hipster doesn't mean it sucks... but by the same token, just because it's rock doesn't mean it sucks, either.

Idol snake, get out of that skin.

Quote Originally Posted by TomServo View Post
    The band works pretty hard to distance themselves from that song. The story goes that the studio asked them if they could throw something together very quickly, and they did. Sadly, it was a hit, but happily, every 12 year old that saw "The Avengers" heard that song instead of something by Finger Eleven or Incubus or whatever else might ruin their taste in music. Since few bands today are making rock records that even slightly compare to "Badmotorfinger", that's got to be a good thing.

“It sounds kind of stripped down and more streamlined than a lot of other songs we’ve been writing,” Cornell said of “The Avengers” cut. “But if you take any song out of context, from any one of our albums, going all the way back to our first Sub Pop EP, it’s not going to tell you anything about the songs around it. We’re just that way. This would fit on our record … but if there’s a way that it stands apart, this is fairly rhythmically straightforward.”

I'm frankly bored of all the effeminate asexual hipster bands that follow the "Get a trust fund, Buy a keyboard, Record a few songs, Get a TV commercial, Play at EVERY U.S. festival" career track, so I'm hopeful that some of the rockers regain at least a little stature. Just because it's hipster doesn't mean it sucks... but by the same token, just because it's rock doesn't mean it sucks, either.
    Trust me, i WANT a new Soundgarden album to be good. i just don't trust Chris Cornell anymore. i love every single one of their past albums. i can't think of another band that went out on as much of a high note as they did.
    last.fm
    4/5/14 - Trentemoller - Fonda // 4/9/14 - The Knife - Fox Theater Pomona // 4/22/14 - Dillinger Escape Plane - Glasshouse// 5/23/14 - 5/26/14 Punk Rock Bowling - Las Vegas
    5/28/14 - Elbow - Wiltern // 7/9/14 - Cloud Nothings - Roxy // 8/25/14 - Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl

Comments about she left the movie feeling bad and she one of those girls that fuck in the ass to saving her Vagina intercourse for marriage.

i can't think of another band that went out on as much of a high note as they did.
    4/17 - Mogwai - El Rey (?)
    4/27 - Ghost BC - Fonda (?)
    4/29 - Franz Ferdinand - Wiltern (?)
    4/30 - Mono - Troubadour (?)
    5/03 - Philip Glass - Royce Hall

Quote Originally Posted by ThomThom View Post
    I want to get the members of Brand New and Chvrches in a line and have all of them executed in front of their fans.
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

I enjoy that album, but it ain't no Down On The Upside. Of course, I've never held LCD Soundsystem in the same high regard as a lot of people do, but I definitely get it. If you're going to call in quits at a time when everybody loves you as much as possible, they totally fall into that category.

EDIT: I think we've just discovered a fairly good subject for a thread here too, that could produce some interesting stuff.
    last.fm

Attached Images Attached Images

Down On The Upside bored the hell out of me but I don';t even remember what it sounds like now.

They weren't that good on that tour either.

Ultramega OK greatest album
    "why are you so annoying" TheKlein25

I actually didn't appreciate Down On The Upside at the time but in hindsight it is a great album. Not my favorite but pretty great nonetheless.
    I am skeptical about the new stuff though.

rumor on the street - Pearl Jam and Soundgarden expected to do a full tour together in 2013.
    Coachella 07 (the introduction), 08 (the bands), 09 (the documentary), 10 (the people i came with), 11 (the relationship test... we passed), 12 (whatever the weather, Dirty Epic forever), 13 (the year of the troll)

- PEARL JAM WHY YOU HATE COACHELLA? -

that would be a busy evening for Matt Cameron but fucking awesome!

seems like it would be much more work for him trying to pull off two separate tours....
    Coachella 07 (the introduction), 08 (the bands), 09 (the documentary), 10 (the people i came with), 11 (the relationship test... we passed), 12 (whatever the weather, Dirty Epic forever), 13 (the year of the troll)

I would totally try to go to that.
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

old school

I enjoy that album, but it ain't no Down On The Upside. Of course, I've never held LCD Soundsystem in the same high regard as a lot of people do, but I definitely get it. If you're going to call in quits at a time when everybody loves you as much as possible, they totally fall into that category.

EDIT: I think we've just discovered a fairly good subject for a thread here too, that could produce some interesting stuff.
    Roxy Music Avalon, Police Synchronicity and Abbey Road by the Fabs.
    Last edited by Bumblebee; 09-23-2012 at 12:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Coachella Bound View Post
    rumor on the street - Pearl Jam and Soundgarden expected to do a full tour together in 2013.
    "The street" = http://www.radarmusic.com.au/news/ne...tour-2012.aspx, and there's zero logic involved in the basis for the rumor:

"Matt has confirmed on multiple occasions that he is not leaving Pearl Jam, and that he is committed to Soundgarden. So if he is staying on with both bands, it could only mean one thing; a Soundgarden and Pearl Jam world tour."

didnt even know that article existed.... but that does help add fuel to the rumor.

For the record, I like the new single. It's kinda poppy (in the vein of "Kickstand" and some of their B-sides previous), but you can really hear the specific Soundgarden sound in it - Kim Thayil's wailing whining guitar, Ben Shepherd's thumping bass, Matt Cameron's off-kilter subnormal hammering on the drums... the worst part is probably Chris Cornell, because he hasn't been on hiatus. We've heard his solo stuff, his Audioslave stuff, and now this... it's not like we really missed Chris. Anyhow - the song is just weird enough to be Soundgarden instead of Audioslave or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Coachella Bound View Post
    so does anyone want to talk about this....? no big deal....?
    No. Dave Grohl just said that this is the only Foo appearance you'll see for a while (which basically just means that they've been on tour for two years and are done promoting the last album).

4/14 Scuba/Francois K @ Cielo
    4/15 Daniel Rossen @ MHOW
    4/16 Carl Cox @ Output
    4/17 Loop @ LPR
    4/18 Lauren Garnier @ Output

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

wow im baked..... please disregard anything i just asked.

a 'one off' you say.....

“After I play like, I don’t know, two hours with Soundgarden, my day is done,” Cameron said. “I think when we did the PJ20 show Chris came out to that and we played some Temple of the Dog stuff and it was awesome.”

Cameron went on to suggest that a one-time concert bringing together the famed bands could happen, but it’s all up in the air: “Maybe there might be a one off where that could happen, but I’m not 25 anymore.”

iTunes has this whole album streaming for free. Allow me to suggest you all jump to the final five minutes for "Rowing", which is (imho) an amazing song on par with anything they put out in the old days. It's a spiritual sequel to "Overfloater", an old trippy tune from "Down on the Upside."
    Last edited by TomServo; 11-06-2012 at 08:29 PM.

I had time to listen to the first 5 songs earlier and i think it's really, really great. i can't wait to hear the whole thing. I was prepared to be disappointed and I'm anything but. I must must must get tickets to that Fonda show!
    last.fm

If we get this set at the show next Tuesday I will forever be greatful. Although Badmotorfinger got ripped off

Soundgarden Setlist at Phoenix Concert Theatre, Toronto, ON, Canada
    Flower
    Outshined
    Spoonman
    Let Me Drown
    Hands All Over
    Attrition
    Taree
    Loud Love
    Drawing Flies
    Hunted Down
    Ugly Truth