Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Thread: Invading Bestival 2013--The Thread

Default Re: Invading Bestival 2013--The Thread

I'm thinking of giving it a miss. I'd love to do the festival, but will really struggle to get much joy out of the current lineup. A few acts I like (but have seen recently) is not enough for me to make the trip at present. May hit End of the Road instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

I totally feel you, Chris. If the group of us going didn't already have so much invested in this, I'd probably bail too. Fingers crossed for a dozen more names I can get excited about. If anyone has any recommendations from the bands booked, please pass them my way. Hey Jen, you may have to be fucked up to enjoy his set! I should be able to help you out
    Quote Originally Posted by boarderwoozel3 View Post
    I just want to ingest mind-altering chemicals and get my mind blown by tribal lasers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepingrock View Post
    I would rather have an auctioneer mc DnB sets

I'm personally happy with what they've got so far. I know they have like 80 or some crazy number more acts to release so I'm not worried. I think that Thursday night party is going to be interesting. Hoping for Basement Jaxx. Anyway, I'm happy a lot of the time to just stroll around, and I do want to see this Knife thing. Haven't done any research really yet, but looking forward to (at a glance):

Belle and Sebastian
    Chic
    The Daft Punk tribute night
    Disclosure
    Discovery album recreation
    Elton
    Fatboy
    Feeling Gloomy
    Fleetwood Bac
    Franz Ferdinand
    High Contrast
    Johnny Marr
    MIA (maybe; I have yet to see her)
    Richie Hawtin
    Savages
    Sinead O Connor
    Snoop
    The Knife
    The Plyphonic Spree
    The Walkmen
    The Wonder Stuff
    Last edited by captncrzy; 05-17-2013 at 08:49 AM.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

New additions.

BESTIVAL ADDS MORE NEW MUSIC!

LIVE MUSIC:
    CRYSTAL FIGHTERS / JON HOPKINS / THE CORRESPONDENTS /
    VALERIE JUNE / EAST INDIA YOUTH / TYTHE / LE CAROUSEL /
    SEAN MCGOWAN / SIGNALS / GOLDEN FABLE / CHERISHPORT /
    SARAH CLOSE / NEW CITY KINGS / THE SLOW SHOW / TROUMACA /
    VELVET STREAM / WIGHT HARMONY / MR TOM

DJ SETS:
    HUDSON MOHAWKE / GREG WILSON / MICKY FINN / BOBBY TANK /
    JFB SCRATCH / CHRIS TOFU / HANDSOME DAVE ROCKER /
    REEPS ONE / HEAVENLY JUKEBOX / INTROS OUTROS/TYTHE /
    JEROME HILL / BEN HOO / LONG JACK / MOJO FILTER / PETE CALLARD / REV MILO SPEEDWAGON / TOM WILLIAMS / WARM DJS / OLLI DUTTON / THE DUDES

SPOKEN WORD:
    HOWARD MARKS

We’re very pleased to announce that Crystal Fighters will join us. As forumites with excellent taste, you’ll know they are one of the most incredible and visceral live shows around they’re a truly mind-blowing experience that you'd be mad to miss. With their second album Cave Rave out this week, the band are fully charged and ready to rain down their unique brand of mayhem on the Bestival crowd.

Rob da Bank says: “HMS Bestival is well and truly under way, steaming across the high seas picking up even more musical passengers. Crystal fighters are Bestival stalwarts and about to go stratospheric, Jon Hopkins has made one of the electronic albums of the year and no party is a Bestival party without Hudson Mohawke and The Correspondents…all aboard you crazy landlubbers!”

But that’s not all as we’ll also have live sets from sometime King Creosote cohort and purveyor of epic, widescreen bliss Jon Hopkins, everybody’s favourite raconteur, Howard Marks, bass driven swingers The Correspondents, Memphis soulstress Valerie June (whose debut album, ‘Pushin’ Against a Stone’ is out now on our sister label Sunday Best), much fancied aural architect East India Youth, Sunday Best’s secret weapon Thythe, Phil Kieran showcasing his psychedelic song-craft with new project Le Carousel, new voice of the people Sean McGowan, driving post-harcore force Signals, spectral acoustic electronic types Golden Fable, the Isle of Wight's own Cherishport, acoustic soloist Sarah Close, Essex songsmiths New City Kings, alt-folk Mancunians The Slow Show, hotly tipped B-Towners Troumaca, alt-pop rockers Velvet Stream, Bestival’s Island choral competition winners Wight Harmony and indie-banger-pop from Mr Tom.

Keeping your feet moving long into the night will be an array of on-point selectors including Hudson Mohawke whose production prowess is so in demand he’s currently rubbing shoulders with the likes of Kayne West. An undoubted wonky genius who channels a seemingly endless array of goodtime grooves from hip-hop, dub, future RnB, downright dirty funk and beyond into a seamless dancefloor decimating spectacle, Hudson is working on the follow up to his acclaimed Butter long-player and we can't wait to see what wild new alloy of sounds he has in store for us.

We’ll also have sets from Hacienda legend Greg Wilson, Jungle don Micky Finn, glitchy eletrofunk wunderkind Bobby Tank and the incredible JFB Scratch who recently mixed up a decade of Bestival goodness for us which you can watch here. Plus we’ll have Continental Drifts’ Chris Tofu, party destroyer Handsome Dave Rocker, beatbox champion Reeps One, Heavenly records' sublime Heavenly Jukebox, the previously mentioned Tythe rocking his Intros/Outros look, rave historian Jerome Hill, deep and warm techno fiend Ben Hoo, Bestival Island DJ competition winner Long Jack, old skool electro disco chameleon Mojo Filter, Portsmouth’s Pete Callard, the genre-defying Rev Milo Speedwagon, house maestro Tom Williams, London DJ collective Warm, radio supremo Olli Dutton and eclectic mix warriors The Dudes.

Finally, we’re very sorry to say that The Child Of Lov has cancelled all of his summer dates, so he won’t be joining us at Bestival as previously announced. Never fear, however, there’s still a truckload of ace stuff happening across the weekend, so hopefully no one will be too put out!
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

ooh Jon Hopkins and Micky Finn. Still want more!

Jen - I hope we get to catch some of the stuff at the port together! I'm really looking forward to seeing how that area is set up, it sounds like it could be amazing. I could send you and Rick some mixes to listen to for research. I'll start up an email and shoot it your way.
    I just want to ingest mind-altering chemicals and get my mind blown by tribal lasers.

Lil--yes please. Was going to ask for DJ recommendations since I have no idea about the majority of them.

I've started (just) doing my live music research and am starting to find things that I like. Still hoping for a Basement Jaxx add.

Heh

Bring Lionel Richie's Head to Bestival

This year we’d like to see you with Lionel Richie’s Head. Not on a stick, or a teapot, but on a giant balloon. To get his head on the Bestival line-up, we need your help on Kickstarter. Artists Hungry Castle’s dream is to bring a giant inflatable sculpture of Lionel Richie’s Head to Bestival. At the core of his head lies a telephone. Once a Bestivaler goes inside Lionel’s head to answer it, they hear Hello, is it me you’re looking for?

Head over to the Kickstarter page now: to read about the project, the rewards available to anyone who pledgers and to find out how you can back this incredible project!

I'm definitely out. Let me know if anyone wants a cheap ticket to the fest.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

That's a bummer, Chris. Was hoping to see you! Jen, is your email the same/did you get my email?

Yes, got it. Just haven't gotten to all of it yet. Sent to Rick as well.

Jon Hopkins' set at Boiler Room just ended and fucking shit. I am really looking forward to his set (and hope we will all be there together). I will post the link to it once it is posted.

If you are that excited about him, I'll be there with you. Unless they go on up against someone I must see, of course.

I wish they would release their Thursday night birthday party lineup. Supposedly it's 'vintage'...suspecting that means they're bringing back some of the festivals favorites from the last ten years. I still think Basement Jaxx has a good shot.
    Last edited by captncrzy; 06-11-2013 at 04:34 PM.

yaaaahhh

It's a great watch if you have the time. Here is the soundcloud to dl audio - https://soundcloud.com/platform/jon-...boiler/s-yhIXL

Washed up on the shores of our Ambient Forest: Shipwreck Island, you’ll find a truly curious assortment of characters inhabiting the depths of this mysterious wooded oasis. Day and night, these lost souls scuttle the leafy paths, enticing you into their rituals and mischiefs.

The motley crew of shipwrecked Pandvani 108 are stick-wielding, global story-tellers, who will entice you into their elaborate and wild world of tales and myths. These untamed, exuberant gang will awash you with yarns of battles, maidens, epic sea-crossings, enchanted creatures and irritable gods.

Or you might come across the intrepid Crew of the Daisy, a mob of 17th century pirates and boat-mates. They’ve not only lost their ship, and they’ve also found themselves 400 years in the future. What will they make of Bestival’s unique festivities? And what will you discover from them?

Listen carefully and you’ll hear the calls of lost sailors the Ballina Whalers, singing their favourite sea shanties to the spirits of the wood and dreaming of home.

Then at night, strange sounds and wondrous sights await those who explore the nocturnal path of Ambient Forest: Shipwreck Island. Interactive theatrical stalwarts Gideon Reeling invite you to get washed up with them along with some of the best and most lost of their shipwrecked crew.

On the edge of the Ambient Forest: Shipwreck Island, is a wild and ancient Gypsy Camp inhabited by beardy musicians, shamanic workshops, bush craft experts, fortune tellers and sellers of magic Amulets. They have gathered together for warmth and companionship…and to ward off the strange inhabitants that lurk deeper in the forest! It’s a magical woodland spot to let your spirits out and the magic in.

But not all of the inhabitants Ambient Forest were shipwrecked there. Some, we think, have been there for 1000s of years. Watch out for the primal, half naked, body-painted, all-female tribe of revelers, as they process around the woods, calling out in a foreign tongue. We call them HAUSofSEQUANA. Approach them at your own risk, they may bite.

And keep your eyes peeled for The Leshy, a mythical protector of Europe’s ancient forests. Leshies are largely passive and often playful, but as a precautionary measure, if you see The Leshy you should turn your clothes inside out and wear them backwards, placing your shoes on the opposite feet.

So make sure you wash yourself up on Ambient Forest: Shipwreck Island and hang out with the inquisitive inhabitants for a while. But beware: linger too long and you might never get off the island…

Close←→

New Maya Jane Coles mix popped up:
    http://www.xlr8r.com/podcast/2013/06/maya-jane-coles

New area announcement

In keeping with our 10th birthday spectacular celebrations at Robin Hill on the Isle of Wight from September 5th to 8th, the amazing gifts keep coming as Bestival HQ is buzzing with news of another brand new arena for 2013 – Temple Island. Taking its place among more than 20 stages in 10 fields of wonderment with mega soundsystems, non-stop parties and 24 hour escapism, you’ve got to explore it before it burns to the ground! Plus we have line-up news for two of Bestival’s most off the wall destinations, Club DaDa and the Polka Tent.

Rob da Bank: _“Bestival has almost 30 stages of live music, DJs, poetry, cinema, drag acts, ultraviolet **** pong and general mayhem going off in 2013. Club Dada and the Polka Tent programmed by the insanely creative and madcap Chris Tofu is always ahead of the curve and we’ve been proud to host the first festival stages of gypsy punk, electro swing and many other underground genres. As ever, Señor Tofu has pulled it out the bag with his line ups for 2013.

“Never looking backwards and always embracing the future I’m so proud to unveil Temple Island – a brand new totally ace fusion of styles from festivals like Burning Man and Portugal’s Monegros festi with a cutting edge global electronic DJ collective… half hippy, half techno warrior. Roll on September”._

New for 2013, Temple Island is a lucid dreamland of beguiling saturnalia where acts like London Grammar, DJ Falcon and Karma Kid come to play. Around them, fantasy and reality fuse in a haze of bio-sculptures and an eclectic collection of some of the tastiest foods in the country. It’s a beautiful place. But nothing is what it seems…

If it looks like a sculpture, it may really be a chilling cocoon that sings to you when you step inside. You’ll find them hidden in a sparkly part of Temple Island, away from the stage. Creatures here may be actors in disguise who lead you to a mystery trail of street art by fast-rising artist My Dog Sighs. 21 pieces are yours to keep, if you find them. The first person to complete the entire My Dog Sighs Treasure Hunt will take home a £2,500 masterpiece! Feeling inspired by all that artistry? Try your hardest to create your very own twisted structure with amazing Willowtwister artist Sara Holmes and crew.

That’s not all though, Bestival’s darkest secrets are gathered on Temple Island’s confession wall. It’s hungry for yours. Confess… if you dare. Party until the small hours in The Doghouse, the secret part of Temple Island you’ll stumble upon, find exactly what you’ve always been looking for, and never, ever, want to leave. But beauty dies fast. So, late on Sunday, Temple Island will go up in flames. Before that, there’s dancing to be done, coconuts to be drunk, gourmet banquets to be eaten and art to explore.

Temple Island will play host to sets from some of the most havin’ it acts currently spanking dancefloors worldwide. Opening on Thursday night there will be music from south Florida future music mogul Henry Krinkle, heads down house purveyor T.Williams and uncategorisable bass merchant Karma Kid. Cranking it up on Friday, there will be Gallic grooves from Daft Punk collaborator DJ Falcon, ethereal digital dance moves from Chrome Sparks, the previously announced siren-fronted trio London Grammar, bass-led bombs from Shadow Child, genre-swerving threesome Dark Sky and future garage manoeuvres from Maribou State.

Saturday will tickle your guilty pleasures with the previously announced Cyril Hahn, plus there will be sets from Bristol based collective Eton Messy, drum n bass wonder Wilkinson, woofer worrying beat tycoon Run Riot and Kashii who will be smashing-up house, techno, garage and bouncing UK bass into something glorious. And finally Sunday will see the Eton Messy crew return as hosts for the entire day. Catch it while you can because when the rest of Bestival has you shipwrecked, Temple Island will have you back on your feet; in ways you never thought possible!

From the makers of Shangri Las Glastonbury and long term residents of festival fields Continental Drifts, Club DaDa always offers a warm welcome with music that floats in your ears like honey. Expect crazy Vintage Remix and brass brass brass! Thursday night shenanigans kick off with Robby’s Choice Cuts featuring captain of our ship Rob da Bank going head to head with Tayo & Nerm reprising their Prince tribute, plus Bestival favourite Beans On Toast, laughter, dancing and head-nodding good vibes from Too Many T’s, DJ Moneyshot & Rackabeat’s brand new sampled funk, psych, hip-hop and rock outfit The Allergies and the man himself, DJ Chris Tofu. Friday sees the The Dawn Of Electro Blues a night dedicated to the new sound of electro blues – from The Delta to dance, with an array of electro blues masters Cyborgs, Heymoonshaker, DJ Nick Hollywood, The Future Shape Of Sound and King Lagoon’s Flying Swordfish Band.

Saturday is all about White Mink’s French Electro Swing Special. After hosting the world’s first 1920s to 1950s remixed electro swing night at a festival, Club DaDa had to bring it back. Curated by White Mink, it’s boasts a quality line-up including Shore Leave, Le KKC Orchestra, Smokey Joe and The Kid, Dutty Moonshine, Max Pashm Electro Swing Ensemble and DJ Dodgy Style.

Keeping it fully on the boil for Sunday, Club Dada had to make their amazing Brass Special happen again, as a fitting end to what is destined to be a legendary weekend. Highlights of the night will include Joe Driscol and Sekou Kouyate, Old Dirty Brasstards and, wrapping things up, the annual DJ Chris Tofu Closing Party squeezing the last of your energy into a mash-up maelstrom of madness, with special guests.

The Polka Tent is the most fun and unusual musical set up in any festival. There’s only one place you can find this rare and wonderful thing. Get ready for some Gypsy Punk and Hoedown mayhem. From Global Local – the maddest thing the arts council ever funded.

Opening night action in this musical world like no other includes King Lagoon’s Flying Sword Fish Band, Tankus The Henge and king of the gypsy remix DJ Kobayashi. Friday night is the Polka Party with Hallouminati, Gypsy Hill, Discount Orchestra, Gypsy Fever, Penny Metal, Karauke, Cut A Shine and Gypsy Disco.

Saturday in the Polka Tent goes from Gypsy Punk to Stomping Kleizmer with Buffo’s Wake, Tantz Klezmer Band, The Turbans, Maniere Des Bohemiens, and more from Gypsy Disco and Karauke. Finally the Sunday Hoedown – With Two For Joy celebrates the Polka Tent’s fifth anniversary with a whole day dedicated to jumping nu folk and demented old hoedown! Helping the celebrations go down in style will be City Shanty Band, Ramshackle Union Band, Katy Carr and Gorgeous George, plus there will be special surprise guests and DJs all weekend long.

Quote Originally Posted by unknown View Post
    yaaaahhh

It's a great watch if you have the time. Here is the soundcloud to dl audio - https://soundcloud.com/platform/jon-...boiler/s-yhIXL
    Watched this today. Not really my thing but I did enjoy it. I think I'd like to be drunk and laying in a grassy field for it.

Quote Originally Posted by unknown View Post
    New Maya Jane Coles mix popped up:
    http://www.xlr8r.com/podcast/2013/06/maya-jane-coles
    Listening to an essential mix of hers now from Radio Mix 1. Loving her.

Please see Greg Wilson if you can. I think both you and Rick will get your groove on to whatever he tosses up.

https://soundcloud.com/paxahau/greg-wilson-at-movement

9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

He's always pointing that thing at me as it is. Trust me, he doesn't need groove music to motivate him.

But I will listen.

Reading through more of the info on their site is getting me excited. Especially parts about food.
    http://2013.bestival.net/areas#temple-island/yummy-food

Really having a hard time buying our boutique tickets. Working with Bestival now to get a direct contact at Ticketline. No one at Ticketline seems to know what the hell they're doing.

Omg me toooooo!!!! Lmk what happens. I was going to call ticketline this week but if they are clueless I prob shouldn't even bother.

I got an email back from Matt (the mod); he's looking into it for us.

We got a phone number to call and were able to get our tickets over the phone. Matt also asked for my number and he was going to have someone at ticketline call us directly. They're super helpful over there. Lil--did you get yours worked out?

Not yet, waiting to see how it worked out for you guys. Rick PM'd me yesterday and said he'd send the number my way if it worked.

It worked. We're all set now.

One of the best things about going to festivals is doing the research. In my research, I realized that this is on the lineup.

I'm so excited.

I'll be there for Jon Hopkins! I was raised on Disco so I cant miss Greg Wilson either. If i ever see a booking with Greg Wilson in Socal im taking my parents as they've been begging me to take them to a club lol. I can see myself wandering into all these different areas and getting lost. Lil, is there that much going on that i will get distracted? Or will i be able to keep focus on the acts that i want to see? Their descriptions make it seem overwhelming?

There is a lot going on but it's really up to you to stick to a schedule. I remember Juan and I met some guys in 2010 that also were stoked about catching... I think it was Joy Orbison starting soon, so we all decided to head to Bollywood tent together but several people needed beers. So we stopped by a bar and next to that bar was a small stage and this guy started singing and making jokes and all the guys we just met were like "hey this guy is funny, let's check him out". And I'm like "uhh idgaf really, I want to see Joy Orbison". And Juan being Juan is like "come on lil just for a minute". So there I am sitting, listening to this guy make up funny raps about people in the small audience and I really couldn't care less so I got up and left to go listen to music and dance. The guys we met stayed. So it's really just up to you and how you want to spend your time.