Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Invading Bestival 2013--The Thread

Default Re: Invading Bestival 2013--The Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Somewhat Damaged View Post
    It took me a couple hours to realize that he meant "his bank."

Fucking website didn't allow me to purchase on either my debit or credit card either. Jen's gonna try again tomorrow morning. They really shouldn't make this so goddamn difficult.
    My bad, I totally didnt see that until now. You guys have Wells Fargo yeah?

LAST NIGHT A ‘FORUM’ DJ SAVED MY LIFE

Ever wondered how good it must feel to drop a big tune at a festival? Well here’s your chance to find out how you could experience it at Bestival.

There’s a history at both Bestival and Camp Bestival where forum regular and poster boy rseamer and other forumites step up on stage and spin the wheels of steel as ‘The Sunday Best Forum Allstars’. Now is your chance to become an allstar so read on…

We’re looking for 2 budding DJ’s who will be chosen by Rob da Bank / The Bestival crew by way of a special forum online audition.

No DJ skills are required, just the ability to know a good tune, have a few CD’s ready to spin and be prepared to have fun – rseamer and another forum regular JC Carter will be on hand to assist you with any technical bits. You can also meet everyone who posts on the forum, grab a cocktail and have a boogie.

Rob da Bank says “the forumites have a special place in the history of Bestival, especially when it comes to telling us what music I should book so here’s your chance to play those tunes you’d want to hear on a big sound system at Bestival.’

Here’s how to get in the mix

Entrants must be over 18 and will need to shoot a short 1-minute audition video called “[I want to DJ at Bestival – [insert name]”. Then it needs to be uploaded to a ‘legal’ video-sharing website (such as Vimeo, YouTube, but not restricted to only those). Let your imagination run wild, it doesn’t have to include DJing but it must feature you and be a whole lotta fun. Oh, and make it clear and with good sound so we can hear it! Oh, and lastly, no rude stuff, keep it clean and legal.

Once your video is ready, post a link on this forum thread. Here’s an example from rseamer. Post the link like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rmNSyIfuyY

Once it’s up, people can watch and comment on the thread. The last date to enter is 5pm on Tuesday 30th April 2013 so get your cameras ready and shoot that video.

The videos will be judged by Rob da Bank himself and the winners will be announced on the forum, details on where to go at Bestival and when will then be sorted out by rseamer

Good luck. We can’t wait to see your auditions to become a forum DJ all star!
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

YAY I'm so excited! Tickets acquired. Boutique camping getting sorted. Now I just need airfare, train ticket, ferry tickets and more of that lineup.

Oh and a costume. This year's theme kind of sucks. I have a couple ideas floating around but the first ones that came to mind were boring sailor/pirate type crap. There are going to be so many stupid captain hats.
    Quote Originally Posted by boarderwoozel3 View Post
    I just want to ingest mind-altering chemicals and get my mind blown by tribal lasers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepingrock View Post
    I would rather have an auctioneer mc DnB sets

I still think Gilligan's Island would be funny.

Not sure if I'll still be an airline employee come September, so I may have to purchase airfare as well. God, I hope not.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

So with Arcade Fire probably out due to Regine being prego. Nine Inch Nails?

edit: prob not NIN since Reading/Leeds will be what theyre going to do. So Atoms For Peace should be it!
    Last edited by suprefan; 02-27-2013 at 08:49 PM.

So I got hit up to do some other things in the fall. I may still be able to swing this, but who the fuck knows at this point. Count me as a maybe, now.
    Blowjobs are the best when your pubes are moist with tears
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    I got really good grades in school, but I suck at life.

Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    So with Arcade Fire probably out due to Regine being prego. Nine Inch Nails?

edit: prob not NIN since Reading/Leeds will be what theyre going to do. So Atoms For Peace should be it!
    Bummer about NIN, although I'm sure they'll play AZ and it's a given they'll be one of 2014's Coachella headliners, yeah? I'd be fine with seeing Atoms for Peace headlining at a Europe festival; would probably be a better audience to enjoy their show in than anywhere in the States. (I'm guessing they won't come to AZ.)

So what does Regine's pregnancy mean for the new Arcade Fire album? Are they going to release it then just tour when she's able to, or hold up its release till they can tour in support of it?
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    "Soon they'll hear my words," he thought, "and they will know that roboto's side-splitting reign of ha-has has begun."

I was hoping we'd have another announcement by now! oh well, Rob keeps posting that more names will be out in this month. Still hoping Atoms for Peace makes it. And Moderat.

Who is everyone excited for so far? Any new discoveries? I want to learn more about Jagwar Ma. I am excited for Ben UFO (even though he's playing Seattle soon), Maya Jane Coles, Joy Orbison, some of the dnb djs, Squarepusher, and oh yeah, The Knife.

I'm really happy the camping situation worked out so easily then I think about how on Monday morning we won't have to pack up a camp site. That is awesome.
    I just want to ingest mind-altering chemicals and get my mind blown by tribal lasers.

What camping option did you go for?
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

Chris--Sleeping Bells (boutique). All paid up on that, but I still need to buy the Boutique tickets (I guess another $50 each). Did you find out from your buddy what the best train/ferry option would be? I hear the good slots sell out early.

Also, do you all want to split a locker? I want a place where I can lock up our passports and extra money.

Haven't done any research yet because of Coachella but I'm planning on getting it started when I get back. But yeah, the Knife.

The locker might be a good idea but we may just leave our passports at my uncle's and store extra cash in a money belt. I'm gonna email to see where they will be located in camp - I wouldn't mind storing other stuff in there like my phone and extra camera accessories (esp after what happened last time). I hope the security situation is better in boutique but who knows. I've read all kinds of stories about security dicking people over and robbing them then other people saying that they were just people posing as security so at least that shouldn't be an issue.

Regarding the train/ferry, I've read on different forums that Portsmouth tends to be less crowded than Southamptom and another suggestion was to book the train ticket to Ryde Pier Head (or whatever your final destination on IoW is), that way you don't need to purchase a separate ferry ticket.

Our friends booked a B&B on IoW for Wednesday night so we may just head down there that afternoon to meet up with them and stay the night, take a cab to the festival on Thursday. We also decided to leave for France on Tuesday instead of Monday so at least getting to the airport on time after the festival is no longer a concern.

Yeah, we're going to Amsterdam after the festival but we aren't going until Tuesday morning just in case it takes forever to get back to London on Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by unknown View Post
    I was hoping we'd have another announcement by now! oh well, Rob keeps posting that more names will be out in this month. Still hoping Atoms for Peace makes it. And Moderat.

Who is everyone excited for so far? Any new discoveries? I want to learn more about Jagwar Ma. I am excited for Ben UFO (even though he's playing Seattle soon), Maya Jane Coles, Joy Orbison, some of the dnb djs, Squarepusher, and oh yeah, The Knife.

I'm really happy the camping situation worked out so easily then I think about how on Monday morning we won't have to pack up a camp site. That is awesome.
    Ooh, Moderat would be heavenly.

Haven't done any research yet. Obviously excited for the Knife, but also really looking forward to Elton John and Belle & Sebastian. Those are the 3 that pop to mind immediately. I'll do more research once Coachella's over. I'm probably going to lean on you for some guidance since you've steered me in so many good directions over the years. (Speaking of which, I wish Wild Beasts would be there but I know that's unlikely unless they've got a new album to promote.)
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    "Soon they'll hear my words," he thought, "and they will know that roboto's side-splitting reign of ha-has has begun."

If youre looking for airfare, it looks like British Airways and other airlines are having a fare sale to London for about $800 round trip, taxes included for the fall. Theyre price matching it also, so I am sure you can mix and match with carriers to get the best fare.

Adds

Couple of tweets from RdB yesterday indicate that a) Arcade Fire is not the 3rd headliner and b) whoever the third headliner is may have dropped out.

Films In The Forest - line-up announced

From utter legends to just about the most exciting bands around, our musical shipmates are second to none for our 10th Birthday shindig but, as anyone who’s ever been knows, Bestival’s not all about the music! If you venture into the Ambient Forest late at night you’ll find the Amphitheatre transformed into a glorious cinema with live scores, cult classics, documentaries and short films all programmed by our friends from London Short Film Festival and Branchage. With a theme for each night, Films in the Forest offers up a programme of movies that’ll move you, amuse you and in some cases terrify you.

HMS Bestival Captain Rob da Bank: “The Films in the Forest were such a success last year with people raving to the Chemical Brothers’ Don’t Think, right through to scaring the bejesus out of themselves to David Lynch films that we had to repeat it. The films selected this year are just as cool and I’m delighted Fake Blood himself will be doing a horror soundtrack and the hip-hop night looks ace too… see you in the Woods”

Thursday night is all about Musical Journeys and will see woozy dream-popsters Gum soundtracking the 1916 version of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, plus there will screenings of Dave Grohl’s recent Sound City documentary and Karl Hyde and Kieran Evans’ The Outer Edges. Friday’s theme is Rapper’s Delight in honour of the super-fat hip-hop action Bestival has got going on this year. There will be bumping beats supplied by DJ Woody who will be throwing down his Big Fat 90s Mixtape AV Set and you’ll be able to catch genre classic Beat Street and a secret film showing a hip-hop don as you’ve never seen him before…

Saturday is Fright Night so who better to rescore horror masterpiece, Suspiria than Fake Blood? And that’s not all as you’ll be jumping out of your skin if you stick around for Sam Raimi’s gore-fest Evil Dead II. Wrapping things up on Sunday with an Outsiders theme we’ll be delving into the lives of some true non-conformists with a double bill of hedonistic sagas. The ultimate counterculture movie Easy Rider sets the tone and David Cronenberg’s unique take on Naked Lunch takes us to the outer limits!

Look out for London Short Film Festival short films, which will play each night in support of the main features and keep an eye out for the Films in the Forest popcorn vendors, who’ll be on hand with award-winning nibbles cooked up by Joe & Seph’s Gourmet Popcorn.

Info on new area:
    BESTIVAL PRESENTS…
    THE PORT
    A BRAND NEW MIND-BLOWING ARENA
    DEDICATED TO A DECADE OF DANCING ON THE ISLE OF WIGHT

FEATURING HEADLINERS:
    RICHIE HAWTIN / CARL COX / ANNIE MAC PRESENTS

THE LATEST DANCEFLOOR DESTROYING ADDITIONS:
    KNIFE PARTY / DJ EZ / TODDLA T SOUND / THE 2 BEARS / JAGUAR SKILLS /
    PHAT PHIL COOPER AND RUSS CUBAN

AND DJ SETS FROM:
    SETH TROXLER / JULIO BASHMORE / MAYA JANE COLES / EROL ALKAN /
    DUKE DUMONT / EATS EVERYTHING / CYRIL HAHN / HOSPITALITY BESTIVAL TAKE OVER FEATURING HIGH CONTRAST, DANNY BYRD, NU:LOGIC, FRED V & GRAFIX HOSTED BY WREC & DYNAMITE / MARCEL DETTMANN / HEIDI / ED RUSH / JESSE ROSE

HMS Bestival is finally steaming back into home waters. Our trusty and now slightly rusty ship and crew have just spent the last decade cruising the high seas, dodging pirates in tropical climes and partying with natives on moonlit beaches. Now it’s time to come home to celebrate 10 years of Bestival on the Isle of Wight. All aboard for the journey home to The Port!

Bestival HQ have been busy working on how to mark a decade of Bestival’s passing and have come up with our most ambitious and largest project onsite since we began. The Port is a landlocked harbour with HMS Bestival as its centrepiece surrounded by a pier, nautical sideshows and all the action of a bustling port…in a festival!

The Port will boast state of the art sound provided by Funktion One, hi-tech lasers and LED screens and a boatload of pyro exploding from HMS Bestival’s funnels. DJs will man the bridge, steering the good ship through day and night of techno and house with many of the world’s leading DJs playing on this hyppereal ship.

Taking a little time out from reaching for the lasers Rob da Bank says: “I'm probably more excited about this new stage for Bestival than anything else in the last decade of creating fun and mental spaces for people to party on. We've got a tree you can rave inside, a forest with films and a giant metal spider that breathes fire but we've never had a life sized ship transmitting the best techno and house DJs across the waves while lasers strafe the crowd and a lighthouse booms its foghorn!

“This whole new field is going to be an all night maritime adventure with dirty little rum bars, enticing brothels and sea shanties ringing out from random sailor folk in every corner. It'll have crazy aerial displays and a bucket load of pyro that will blow your mind, it's the dance arena to end all dance arenas and it’s gonna go off. If you want to know where the party’s at, it's at The Port."

Manning the bridge of our incredible 24m long ocean going liner will be a cavalcade of the finest names to grace club culture, a veritable who’s who of Bestival Classics. Friday night headlining action will come courtesy of the Plastikman himself Richie Hawtin. Saturday will see a triumphant Annie Mac Presents selection and Sunday will be brought to a cataclysmically joyous end by the one and only Carl Cox. We will also have the cream of the dance music scene to smash up The Port’s dancefloor, including the newly announced Knife Party’s explosive fusions of bass and beats, Kiss FM’s DJ EZ who will be dropping majestic garage goodness, the mighty Toddla T Sound who will be ripping up the fiery techno-dub, hirsute duo The 2 Bears who will administer some euphoric hands-in-the-air action, turntable ninja Jaguar Skills who will be serving up his genre swerving cut & paste bedlam, and back to back mayhem from Bestival favourites Phat Phil Cooper And Russ Cuban.

Commenting on his Friday night headline slot, Richie Hawtin said: "I'm excited to return to Bestival this year for the 10th anniversary. I'm not sure what I'm more excited for - headlining The Port, or having the chance to hear my brother Matthew play again inside Bestival's incredible Wishing Tree."

Looking forward to his Sunday night closing set, Carl Cox stated: "Bestival's always an amazing festival with great people, and hopefully good weather! Cannot wait to return and check out their brand new arena - The Port".

And remarking on Saturday’s AMP line-up Annie Mac added: “We're so happy to be back at Bestival for 2013 and bringing AMP to the all new Bestival Port stage! We've got such an exciting mix of DJs from the UK garage legend that is DJ EZ, to the Bristol house dons Julio Bashmore and Eats Everything. We'll be bringing proper party carnival vibes through Toddla T Sound, as well as showcasing brand new talent from the likes of Cyril Hahn. AMP at Bestival 2013 is looking forward to offering up one of the most skilled and fun line up of DJs we've ever had, DJs who will no doubt provide you with many a special Bestival moment. Cannot wait to see you there!”

With a lighthouse come helter skelter a Dockers Bar, amazing aerial performances from a huge crane, delicious dancing girls and camp sailor boys on stage, plus dance podiums throughout the arena for the crowd, a coruscating brilliance of unbelievable pyrotechnics, sparkle, flame and fire effects, confetti, and smoking funnels, The Port is where you’re going to want to be. There will be a mega DJ line-up all weekend long that will include the previously announced Seth Troxler, Julio Bashmore, Maya Jane Coles, Erol Alkan, Duke Dumont, Eats Everything, Cyril Hahn, Hospitality Bestival Take Over Featuring High Contrast, Danny Byrd, Nu:Logic, Fred V & Grafix Hosted By Wrec & Dynamite, Marcel Dettmann, Heidi, Ed Rush and Jesse Rose.

Dj's on a boat!

'Replay with Rob da Bank' Returns
    1 May 2013
    POSTED BY Bruce

With 10 fields of wonderment filled with amazing music, insane sideshows and magical happenings, *Bestival*’s spectacular 10th birthday bash this September 5th-8th will have something for just about everyone. And if you’re hankering for the freshest music on site, then you’re in luck, as we’re delighted to announce that the ‘Replay with Rob da Bank’ stage will be returning again this year!

HMS Bestival skipper Rob da Bank: “Last year we really went to town on the ‘Replay with Rob da Bank’ stage with some amazing bands making it one of the most popular stages we’ve ever had with insane performances from the likes of Alt-J tearing the place apart. This year’s no different, we’ve gone full steam ahead and booked one of the best line-ups of exciting and fresh music that you’re likely to see all year long, with The 1975, Swim Deep, Merchandise and Jagwar Ma amongst many I ‘d recommend. Make sure you don’t miss out on this one, it’s gonna be big.”

One of the biggest draws on site when it made it’s inaugural appearance last year, huge crowds were treated to acts such as Kate Nash, ALT_J, Skepta, and Jake Bugg. Now situated in its very own unique big top tent, the ‘Replay with Rob da Bank’ stage will play host to a litany of newly announced acts, including sublime stream of consciousness action from Ghostpoet, Disclosure collaborator Sam Smith, hotly tipped Scottish singer-songwriter Nina Nesbitt, super sharp beatnicks Ruen Brothers, hook-heavy Nottingham quintet Dog is Dead, folk-rockers To Kill A King, anthemic duo Man Without Country, melancholy mix maestros Feeling Gloomy and sassy chanteuse Chloe Howl. Plus there will be appearances from Champs, Jagwar Ma, Lewis Watson and Molotov Jukebox with many more previously announced acts to be added to the stage, watch this space for more news.

If you can’t wait until September for a taster of what Replay has to offer then the Road Trip To Bestival is for you! You can catch a selection of artists from the Replay line-up pre-Bestival at two exclusive in-store performances. Replay’s Road Trip To Bestival will kick-off in London, at Replay Store Carnaby Street in August.

For more information about the Road Trip to Bestival please visit: www.replay.it

Headliner #3 will be revealed May 15.

Checked out sunday best forum and seems I'm definitely not the only one that first thought Prince or Thom Yorke solo for release and AFP for Bestival. I'd be happy with either. I'm more anxious to see the rest of this lineup since it isn't really blowing me away. Like at all.

I don't see it being Prince, mainly because I don't see him jetting off to England after performing in Denver. AFP or Basement Jaxx seem to be the logical guesses here at this point. Still anxious to see the rest of the lineup myself. I'm happy with Elton and the Knife, but I want to see what else is in store...especialy for this Thursday night birthday party.

Thom is in L.A. right now rehearsing with Atoms. Unless its via webcast, thats not happening.

Fatboy Slim

Featuring 10 fields of wonderment and 20 stages filled with amazing music, insane sideshows and magical happenings, Bestival’s spectacular 10th birthday bash this September 5th-8th is set to be nothing short of EPIC.

Celebrating those 10 years for all they’re worth, we’ve already got a musical line-up that’s second to none, with headline appearances from Elton John and Snoop Dogg, sets from MIA, Franz Ferdinand, Flaming Lips, The Knife, Wu-Tang Clan, Richie Hawtin, Carl Cox, Annie Mac Presents, and so many more. Plus we’ve got jaw-dropping attractions like our amazing new arena The Port, Films in the Forest, World Music Day on the Bandstand, The Wishing Tree, Swamp Shack and The Grand Palace of Entertainment, and now we are mind-blowingly excited to announce our crowd slaying Friday night headliner!

Rob da Bank says: “I still can’t believe Bestival is gonna be ten… but it is and that’s great cos it means we get to go even more mental with our onsite creations and general madness. We wanted to have a big moment for all our amazing crew and the beautiful Bestivalites whether they’ve been with us for the last decade or even just this year so we went back to one of our headliners from the first year and someone who’s supported us since our early days in clubland. Yes ladies and gents, boys and girls roll up roll up for what will be the biggest spectacle in UK festival land as we unveil Fatboy Slim’s Bestival Birthday Bash”.

Fatboy Slim says: “It was at Glastonbury 2003 where I closed the Sunday Best stage for Rob da Bank that I first saw the glint in his eye to create his own festival. 12 months later I was headlining Bestival and TEN years on, here I am again, throwing them the biggest birthday bash possible and sharing the main stage alongside Elton John and Snoop Dogg. It’s an absolute honour to return for this momentous occasion – staying creative and independent in these times. You’ve come a long way, baby!"

YES! Our much anticipated Friday night headliner will be the one and only Fatboy Slim AKA Norman Cook. Norman was one of the very first headliners at the inaugural Bestival in 2004, so it’s a real coup to have him aboard HMS Bestival in his rightful place once again, helping to celebrate our spectacular tenth anniversary. Playing an exclusive set just for us, which he’s dubbed ‘*Fatboy Slim’s Bestival Birthday Bash*’, it’s guaranteed to be a monumental appearance, with outrageous onstage birthday party antics galore and some very special surprises which will be revealed on the night. Armed with an almost endless abundance of mega-hits from Everybody Needs A 303 to Star 69 (What The F*ck) and way beyond, you can expect the mother of all celebrations as the master of good-time party music throws down a large helping of epic goodness, like only he can.

You don’t want to miss this one it’s going to be a legendary 10th birthday. And what a 10 years it’s been, from just a few thousand people rocking out in 2004 to becoming the Best Major Festival winner in 2012, we certainly have come a long way baby! Staying true to our independent, boutique roots we’re playing with the big boys now and we promise a spectacle that’s not to be missed, it’s going to be the party of the year, so don’t miss out!

It’s full steam ahead for HMS Bestival. Roll on September!
    Last edited by captncrzy; 05-15-2013 at 10:13 AM.

I like him, but isn't he a pretty weak headliner?

Quote Originally Posted by concertgoer View Post
    I like him, but isn't he a pretty weak headliner?
    Its the uk, thats a good one.

Bestival forum people are 'chuffed'. Last time I saw him I was fucked up (thanks to Lilia (unknown)) so I'm looking forward to seeing him again and seeing if I can remember anything this time.

Wonder when they're going to release more of the lineup.