Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SAHARA REVIVAL WISHLIST 2013!!!

Default Re: SAHARA REVIVAL WISHLIST 2013!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bons222000 View Post
    Just out of curiosity, and I'm completely open to being told I'm wrong, but which bigger name electronic acts that were actively touring the US in 2012 do you think Coachella missed out on so badly? I tend to think the 2012 bookings were more a product of what was available than a conscious decision to go cheesy. I know there are a million smaller acts nobody has heard of that could have been added but my question is more about names that would have been 2nd-3rd liners.

We did get a few good DJ acts that no other festivals around were getting last year. Modeselektor, Shadow, Flylo, Amon Tobin, SBTRKT, etc all had solid sets and aren't part of the cheese everyone hates.
    I mostly agree with you. A couple more names in the right direction would have been good though. Although they didn't tour, ultra pulled kraftwerk. So obviously that would have been nice. Add in a 2manydj's set and a couple other decent acts and a lot of the bitching would have died down.

I could care less if their is cheese there, because it's easy to avoid. It's if it takes away quality electronic bookings that it becomes a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by theresalwaysone View Post
    Because........?
    Because, like I mentioned previously, I think that GV will go back to booking better acts like they did in the past because now they know that both weekends will sell out regardless. There will still be a healthy dose of shit in the Sahara, but I think we'll get some more original/more talented/more diverse EDM acts on the lineup next year.

We did get a few good DJ acts that no other festivals around were getting last year. Modeselektor, Shadow, Flylo, Amon Tobin, SBTRKT, etc all had solid sets and aren't part of the cheese everyone hates.
    Not a single one of those acts played the sahara tent.

Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    Because, like I mentioned previously, I think that GV will go back to booking better acts like they did in the past because now they know that both weekends will sell out regardless. There will still be a healthy dose of shit in the Sahara, but I think we'll get some more original/more talented/more diverse EDM acts on the lineup next year.
    Well I guess we will wait and see. I feel that logic is flawed however. They have a winning formula that sells out the festival. They can count on a sellout because people have certain expectations. If GV deviates from those expectations, they jeopardize their business model. Why would they continue to do anything different?

I feel like Eats Everything would be a pretty solid choice for a mid-afternoon set in the Sahara.
    Quote Originally Posted by sonicc View Post
    Fuck "themule"

Realistic Improvement Wishlist

Day sets:
    Stanton Warriors
    Gesaffelstein vs Brodinski
    Danger
    Mimosa
    The M Machine
    james zabiela
    gui boratto
    fake blood
    totally enormous extinct dinosaurs
    Gabriel & Dresden

Night Sets:
    Sasha & Digweed (hghly unlikely but top priority for me)
    MSTRKRFT
    Eric Prydz
    Carl Cox
    Above & Beyond
    Basement Jaxx
    Chase & Status
    Diplo

Sahara is fucked, any name that would fill that giant tent is either 20 years old or is pop edm and sucks ass.
    "How long will this last, this delicious feeling of being alive, of having penetrated the veil which hides beauty and the wonders of celestial vistas? It doesn't matter, as there can be nothing but gratitude for even a glimpse of what exists for those who can become open to it."

Really tho: Coachella is and has been fucked for the last few years and will continue to on its decline.

IT WAS ALL BETTER IN THE MID 2000s

Quote Originally Posted by theresalwaysone View Post
    Well I guess we will wait and see. I feel that logic is flawed however. They have a winning formula that sells out the festival. They can count on a sellout because people have certain expectations. If GV deviates from those expectations, they jeopardize their business model. Why would they continue to do anything different?
    For me, 2012 is the only year of disappointing electronic music and the festival sold out two years prior to 2012. Granted, the Sahara itself has been basking in mediocrity for quite some time, but as recently as 2012 we got The Twelves, Sven Vath, Sasha, Shpongle and some decent acts like Boys Noize, Green Velvet (granted I hear the show itself was shit, but you get my point) and Riva Starr. That's just the Sahara. Outside of that there was Trentemoller, Leftfield, The Presets, Ratatat, etc.

In no way do I expect GV to avoid booking EDM artists that draw the masses, but given how this festival is likely to sell out both weekends regardless of what is in the Sahara, maybe they'll throw us a few bones. I don't expect a Sahara lineup that reflects a lineup DEMF would release, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a few appealing acts in the Sahara next year.
    7/21 - !!! @ Club Congress (Tucson, AZ)
    8/23 - Galactic @ Rialto Theater (Tucson, AZ)
    8/25 - Future Islands @ 191 Toole (Tucson, AZ)
    10/11 - Carolina Chocolate Drops @ Rialto Theater (Tucson, AZ)
    11/10 - The Black Keys @ US Airways Center (Phoenix, AZ)
    4/10/15 - 4/12/15 - Coachella

Do you fucks ever get tired of having this god damned same conversation over and over again in every thread?

8/16: Anthony Naples, Maxmillion Dunbar @ f8
    8/18: Man Man @ The Chapel
    8/23-8/24: FYF Fest
    8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

That's GuyInTucson's "thing," guedita.

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Do you fucks ever get tired of having this god damned same conversation over and over again in every thread?
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Dylanja View Post
    That's GuyInTucson's "thing," guedita.
    This^
    7/21 - !!! @ Club Congress (Tucson, AZ)
    8/23 - Galactic @ Rialto Theater (Tucson, AZ)
    8/25 - Future Islands @ 191 Toole (Tucson, AZ)
    10/11 - Carolina Chocolate Drops @ Rialto Theater (Tucson, AZ)
    11/10 - The Black Keys @ US Airways Center (Phoenix, AZ)
    4/10/15 - 4/12/15 - Coachella

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Do you ever get tired of being a complete bitch over and over again in every thread? The answer is obviously NO on both accounts so just stfu.

Coachella Weekend #1

So how many times is this going to get dropped in the Sahara this year? I'm thinking at least once a day.

I would love the Sahara to be filled with a ton of superstar Koreans raving their dick off.

Soulwax
    The Presets
    Gui Boratto
    Jamie Jones
    Justin Martin
    Christian Martin
    Fred Falke
    Hot Chip
    Fatboy Slim
    Simian Mobile Disco
    Eric Prydz
    The Chemical Brothers
    Digitalism
    Todd Terje
    Kris Menace
    The Prodigy
    Fake Blood
    Little Boots
    Gesaffelstein
    Ascii.Disko
    Worthy
    Russ Chimes
    Ghostland Observatory
    Brodinski
    Yuksek
    Azari & III
    Claude von Stroke
    Foamo
    2manydj's
    The Knife

and that's just an abbreviated list lolol

But really I actually appreciate the fact that they are now using the Sahara tent as a giant douchebag-filter. Book all these acts but put them on other stages like Mojave and Do Lab like you have been doing. The bros will be showing up in droves regardless, lets keep em confined and away from the good music so I don't have to see em.
    Quote Originally Posted by icedKeg View Post
    it's like, at coachella, we can be a whole group of friends. a whole group of frogs jumping into the streets, jumping into the planet, climbing up the buildings, swimming in the lakes and in the bathtubs. we would be hundreds, thousands, millions. the biggest group of friends the world has ever seen, jumping and laughing forever. it would be great, right?
    Coachella 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012x2

Quote Originally Posted by Iamwelting View Post
    So how many times is this going to get dropped in the Sahara this year? I'm thinking at least once a day.

If there has ever been a contender for another Die Antwoord style 15 minutes of "what teh fukz?" in the Sahara, this is it.

But I have full faith Sahara 2013 will be on at least a 2010/2011 level...some cheese, some perfect. When has Coachella ever not successfully addressed a problem you guys have complained about in multiple threads? Just be prepared to take a bathroom break during Hardwell. Or, you know, see an act with guitars or something.

Gangnam Style will be the new Barbara Streisand.

Yo straight up the Sahara tent will never be what you want it to be:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/zackomal...st-paid-djs/2/

Perhaps more importantly, EDM has found a home in the festival circuit. Concert promoters like AEG, the parent company of Coachella producer Goldenvoice, discovered that they could tap into the burgeoning electronic scene by adding top DJs to their lineups—and what started out as a sideshow soon became the main attraction.

“The Coachella music festival served as microcosm in the evolution of electronic dance music from a niche into a mainstream format,” says AEG chief Randy Phillips. “EDM translates more successfully as a consumer experience in the open field festival environment or in a general admission [or] flat floor venue than it does in large arenas with fixed seats. Efforts to tour EDM stars in arenas across North America have proven to yield uneven results outside of a handful of major markets.”
    TRANSLATION: GUETTA = $$$$$$$

This shit is a cash cow, I can't count the number of teenage #EDM fans I overheard just at fast food places/gas stations on the route to Coachella this year, they were ALL STOKED FOR AVICII. Not only were they stoked for Avicii but they don't give a single fuck about Orbital or Jamie Jones. I'm sure there will be a few solid names but nah, GV (and GV's bosses) knows and explicitly state that booking big flashy DJs has been lucrative and the chances of them giving that up in the middle of the #EDM SENSATION are zero.

Quote Originally Posted by Trick Loves The Kids View Post
    This shit is a cash cow, I can't count the number of teenage #EDM fans I overheard just at fast food places/gas stations on the route to Coachella this year, they were ALL STOKED FOR AVICII. Not only were they stoked for Avicii but they don't give a single fuck about Orbital or Jamie Jones..
    Not that anyone should be stoked for Avicii, but why and how could they be stoked for Orbital or Jamie Jones when neither of them were on the lineup last year? lol

Quote Originally Posted by nick5745 View Post
    Not that anyone should be stoked for Avicii, but why and how could they be stoked for Orbital or Jamie Jones when neither of them were on the lineup last year? lol
    He's saying that people don't care about artists like Orbital or Jamie Jones being on future lineups.

Quote Originally Posted by bganch View Post
    Do you ever get tired of being a complete bitch over and over again in every thread? The answer is obviously NO on both accounts so just stfu.
    BOOOOM

I actually don't wish for the Sahara to be revived. It acts as a nice filter to keep the bros out of the other stages. I've already given up hope for the Sahara to be revived, and so should you. Since so many people already bought presale tickets (without seeing the line up), it's guaranteed that Coachella will also be a brofest in 2013. We might see a few quality electronic acts in the Sahara (Groove Armada, Booka Shade, Richie Hawtin, Disclosure, Totally Enormous Extinct Dinosaurs, Skream & Benga, Tiga, Crookers, Fake Blood, Geaffelstein, Brodinski, etc.), but I wouldn't count on too much.

The correct solution (and thing to hope for) is for Goldenvoice to add another smaller stage strictly for underground dance music. The sad truth is that they actually tried to do this two years ago with the bass dome but then they removed it for some reason. We can only hope that they bring it back (or something like it). I'm still super pissed about the bass dome removal this year, although the Do Lab had a few really quality DJ's weekend one (Worthy, Christian Martin, Machinedrum, Salva, etc.).

I would really love to see them bring in some of the greats of underground bass music like: Eats Everything, L-Vis 1990, Tensnake, Soul Clap, Todd Terje, Maceo Plex, Jamie Jones, Seth Troxler, Damian Lazarus, Julio Bashmore, Rustie, Hudson Mohawke, Lunice, Jackmaster, Justin Martin, Claude Vonstroke, Breach, Ben UFO, Style of Eye, A1 Bassline, Blawan, French Fries, Jaymo & Andy George, George Fitzgerald, Kingdom, Danny Daze, Lee Foss, Fur Coat, Oliver, Nicolas Jaar, Four Tet, Scuba, Mala, Addison Groove, Dark Sky, Huxley, John Talabot, Dusky, Lone, Actress, Benoit & Sergio, Guy Gerber, Subb-an, Nina Kraviz, Maya Jane Coles, Zombie Disco Squad and even some of the awesome people they had at the Bass Dome in 2011 (Kode9, Pearson Sound, Joy Orbison, Kyle Hall, Mount Kimbie, etc.).

I know that's a long list but just a few of those names would be wicked. The really good news that we should all be excited about is that Snowbombing (festival in Austria) was moved back a week this year so it doesn't conflict with Coachella anymore. Last year it conflicted with weekend 1 of Coachella, so Goldenvoice couldn't book any of the great names they had there. Take a look at their 2012 line up. It's incredible:
    http://www.snowbombing.com/en/music/

These guys. Some much-needed Bromance for the Sahara. Been waiting for this song to drop for months..

Quote Originally Posted by bender View Post
    I know that's a long list but just a few of those names would be wicked. The really good news that we should all be excited about is that Snowbombing (festival in Austria) was moved back a week this year so it doesn't conflict with Coachella anymore. Last year it conflicted with weekend 1 of Coachella, so Goldenvoice couldn't book any of the great names they had there. Take a look at their 2012 line up. It's incredible:
    http://www.snowbombing.com/en/music/
    They did bring dj shadow and sub focus, but it makes sense a lot of the less well paid artists wouldn't want to fly that far for 2 shows
    5/17 Chet Faker
    5/25 EDC NY (2manydjs!!!!)
    7/18-7/20 Melt Festival

Quote Originally Posted by semery526 View Post
    These guys. Some much-needed Bromance for the Sahara. Been waiting for this song to drop for months..

Also, I haven't seen anybody mention this, but does anyone else think deadmau5 could play before a headliner on the main stage? I could definitely see deadmau5 or Skrillex filling the Justice time-slot from this year or maybe subheadlining.
    Absolutely. His new album is about to come out. It actually already leaked and it's fucking great. Soooo tech.

Quote Originally Posted by Karnifexlol View Post
    Absolutely. His new album is about to come out. It actually already leaked and it's fucking great. Soooo tech.
    speaking of deadmau5, this set was really good

Yeah that set was sweet other than the MCs during Some Chords.
    2013 = Coverchella

2011 = Perfectchella

Quote Originally Posted by thefrush View Post
    Yeah that set was sweet other than the MCs during Some Chords.
    Agreed, it gets especially great 3/4 of the way through