Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567

Thread: College Hoops 2012-2013

Default Re: College Hoops 2012-2013

Damn. I got to listen to the first half while I drove from work to the Jeff Mangum show. That was fun. Then I get into the venue and we're losing by, like, 6. That was a clutch 3. Oh well.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    "Soon they'll hear my words," he thought, "and they will know that roboto's side-splitting reign of ha-has has begun."

Man, did you just see that Louisville player just break his leg? Then they showed the replay more than once. Sick
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

I missed it because I was in the bathroom. Got back and had no idea what happened, just saw everybody standing around crying.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

I still have no idea how it happened.

Watch if you dare -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOg7ErDDbF0

It is gruesome, so I just gave the link, rather than posting the video.
    Last edited by gaypalmsprings; 03-31-2013 at 02:06 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

I wish I could unsee that. Very disturbing. I doubt it'll get replayed on TV again, at least not without one of those warnings telling those with weak stomachs should turn away. His leg crumpled like a rice stick. Yes, it's already on youtube but this is one of those things you'll regret watching once you watch it. Even though everyone says you'll regret it, you're probably curious thinking it's not that bad. It's that bad. Well it's not like facesofdeath or anything but I could have gone without seeing that.
    Why ______________________ ?

Quote Originally Posted by Coachella FAQ;
    Because.
    2013 Coachella FF Team = Demaryius Targaryen

I can't believe someone uploaded that to YouTube. Classless.

So sad. Worst sports injury I have ever seen, even worse than Shaun Livingston.

I actually started crying when I saw Patino wiping away tears. So sad.

Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    Man, did you just see that Louisville player just break his leg? Then they showed the replay more than once. Sick
    Horrible. I almost threw up. I don't think they realized how gruesome it was until after the first couple replays, but I saw white bone sticking out of that kid's shin on national television.

Quote Originally Posted by gam3g3ni3 View Post

So sad. Worst sports injury I have ever seen, even worse than Shaun Livingston.

I actually started crying when I saw Patino wiping away tears. So sad.

Wait for the gifs...

And Deadspin has the hi res version

http://deadspin.com/kevin-ware-suffe...ium=socialflow

Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    I still have no idea how it happened.

He must of had something like a stress fracture. Or a tumor in his bone. Something that would wearing the structural integrity of his fibula and/or tibia.

Your leg just doesn't do that.

Thank you, GPS. And fuck, that was awful.

Yeah, but there was no fucking way I was not going to watch it. No one, anywhere that I have seen gave any description of what happened beyond first a lot of sad faces and crying and then when I went on twitter the news that he broke his leg. Not any context. Did someone hit him with a club? Did he get kicked? Was he even in the game when it happened?

For others that were in my situation:

Kevin Ware jumped out to try and block a three-point shot and landed off-balance with all of his weight on his right leg and the tibia broke in half.
    Last edited by mountmccabe; 03-31-2013 at 02:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    Thank you, GPS. And fuck, that was awful.

Yeah, but there was no fucking way I was not going to watch it. No one, anywhere that I have seen gave any description of what happened beyond first a lot of sad faces and crying and then when I went on twitter the news that he broke his leg. Not any context. Did someone hit him with a club? Did he get kicked? Was he even in the game when it happened?

For others that were in my situation:

Kevin Ware jumped out to try and block a three-point shot and landed off-balance with all of his weight on his right leg and the tibia broke in half.
    I didn't know what happened at first, either. When I saw Louisville players on the ground, I thought there was a massive collision. It turns out, they were just horrified. When CBS began to show the first replay, and I saw Kevin Ware jump in the air, I knew how it was going to end and just turned my head. I don't like watching things like that.

i'm so happy i didn't see it. and i refuse to watch. way too squeamish about things like that
    Quote Originally Posted by kvnty View Post
    You little cock sucker, menikmati. This is a fucking violation of compliance and you will fucking pay, you little pig.

@tracywolfson reports Kevin Ware told his teammates: "Don't worry about me. I'll be OK. You guys go win this thing."

Boris - 7/29 - The Mohawk
    NIN/Soundgarden/ - 8/14 - Austin 360
    Woods - 8/20 - Holy Mountain
    Jamie xx - 8/27 - The Mohawk
    Little Dragon - 8/31 - Moody Theater
    Ty Segall - 9/5 - The Mohawk
    Seth Troxler - 9/5 - Vulcan Gas Company
    Black Lips/King Khan & BBQ Show - 9/12 - J. Lorraine Ghost Town

Quote Originally Posted by HotHamWater View Post
    I didn't know what happened at first, either. When I saw Louisville players on the ground, I thought there was a massive collision. It turns out, they were just horrified. When CBS began to show the first replay, and I saw Kevin Ware jump in the air, I knew how it was going to end and just turned my head. I don't like watching things like that.
    I guess I didn't put two and two together fast enough to realize who was going to get hurt or where. I cringed when I saw it and have no need to see it again.

But it sounds like CBS went too far at first replaying it and going over it but then they cut back the other way and wouldn't talk about it. If I had just watched CBS (starting when I started, a bit before he was carted away) I would not have known what happened.

I thought they made it a point to not replay it? I watched it once (live) and that was it...

Quote Originally Posted by gam3g3ni3 View Post

oh shut the fuck up

and until someone can figure out how to slit someones throat on the court with a basketball, the malarchuk incident is still the worst non-fatal sports injury to be televised live
    Last edited by Grandma; 03-31-2013 at 09:53 PM.

That was the worst I have ever seen. I just feel so bad for him and the whole team. I wish them all the best and I hope he is able to make a full recovery.
    Quote Originally Posted by involvelemons View Post
    Silent discos are like having sex with a virgin: really exciting in theory, extremely awkward in execution.
    Quote Originally Posted by BROKENDOLL View Post
    I bet Cara's gotten enough Twats on a Platter and Dick on a Stick to open her own Trolls to Go snack shop.

I had no idea what happened either. Just saw the players crying and grimacing and saw Ware lying on the ground. I thought maybe he had stopped breathing. But when I saw Pitino crying I teared up as well. I saw the youtube video when I got home and I wish I hadn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by insbordnat View Post
    If you're in a relationship that causes Ancestry.com to crash, it's probably inappropriate.

Wheelchair Epidemic hawkingvsreeve's Avatar

From here:

Louisville sophomore Kevin Ware’s injury today in the Midwest Regional finals of the NCAA tournament will likely be remembered alongside Joe Theismann’s career-ender as one of the most tragically gruesome in sports history. But that’s not the only tragic and gruesome part of this episode, because unlike Theismann, who was working under a guaranteed contract, Ware was an NCAA athlete helping to generate millions of dollars for the NCAA, but not automatically guaranteed a four-year education scholarship. As in so many other similar cases, that means his injury in service to the NCAA’s multimillion-dollar machine could spell the end of his financial aid and massive healthcare bills to boot.

Yes, that’s right — NCAA basketball is a $780 million-a year business that makes 1 percenters out of NCAA executives, coaches, athletic directors and college administrators. Yet that same business offers relative scraps to the players who actually generate that money.

It is certainly true that Division I NCAA basketball players get athletic scholarships. However, those scholarships often do not cover the entire cost of attending college. Additionally, many are not guaranteed four-year scholarships — on the contrary, many schools refuse to offer guaranteed multi-year scholarships, and the NCAA’s big “reform” of the last few years wasn’t to mandate such a guarantee, but to merely allow it if particular schools want it.

That means that if a player like Ware gets injured while on the job at a school that doesn’t offer a multi-year scholarship, the scholarship can be — and often is — revoked.

If that isn’t bad enough, the New York Times reports that when it comes to major on-the-court injuries like the one Ware sustained, medical bills can end up being the responsibility of the student and the student’s family, rather than the NCAA or the school. Indeed, the NCAA has a Catastrophic Injury Insurance Program, but the Birmingham News reports that there is a $90,000 deductible. Worse, the Daily Caller reports that while “the NCAA has its own catastrophic injury insurance, which insures individual athletes up to $20 million … the majority (of athletes) don’t qualify.”

“If you don’t lose a limb, or motion in one of your limbs, you wouldn’t be considered catastrophically injured,” Ramogi Huma, head of the National Collegiate Players Association, told the Daily Caller. “Then it’s completely up to the school, or yourself.”

While there has been some much needed talk in the college sports world of fixing this shameful reality, and while California has recently moved some of the questions into the legislative arena, there is still stiff resistance to any kind of guarantees to players. For example, the NCAA policy merely allowing multi-year scholarships came within two university votes of being overridden. Likewise, major schools like UConn have waged fights in their state legislatures to stop bills that would protect scholarships for players injured on the job.

But even if such reforms were cemented and strengthened, the fact is that these issues cannot be fully addressed until the root problem is addressed — and that root problem is the NCAA’s refusal to give players not merely decent scholarships and solid health insurance, but also a share of the revenues those players generate.

As the civil rights historian Taylor Branch put it in his landmark analysis of the NCAA, “the real scandal is the very structure of college sports, wherein student-athletes generate billions of dollars for universities and private companies while earning nothing for themselves.” Those players are treated as worse than mere commodities — because at least commodities are given a financial value. They are treated as indentured servants, who do not get their fair share of the revenues and who can be discarded if they dare get hurt doing a job for the very school that refuses to guarantee them a full college education.

Kevin Ware was a heavily recruited basketball prospect. So, along with hoping that he fully recovers from his injury, let’s also hope that unlike so many other athletes, he was able to negotiate a guaranteed multi-year scholarship with Louisville, even though that school voted to ban multi-year scholarships (it cast such a vote, by the way, despite being the most profitable school in college basketball).

But whether or not Ware himself has some modicum of financial aid stability, his injury on the national stage serves as a reminder that too many athletes do not. And that is a wake-up call telling the game-watching audience that for all the excitement, enjoyment and heartbreak that college basketball generates, it is entertainment predicated on an immoral business model — one that must finally change.
    Quote Originally Posted by obzen View Post
    Giant. Fucking. Bjork. Buttons.
    last.fm

I can't believe the pac-12 commissioner defended this kind of behavior. What a joke.

I think (and hope) that there will be some backpedaling from his defense, and at the very least a firing or resignation. It's embarrassing for the conference.
    Royksopp/Robyn 6/29 Hollywood Bowl
    The Antlers 7/12 Troubadour
    Paul McCartney 8/10 Dodger Stadium
    John Legend does What's Going On 8/20 Hollywood Bowl
    Elvis Costello 9/5 Hollywood Bowl

This Wichita and Louisville game is something else ... cr****
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

The final game is at half and Michigan is up 1. Three basketball minutes ago UM was up 12. This game is wild and crazy.

Congrats Miroir Noir for winning the boardie bracket clusterfuck. And congrats to me for finishing last and not having any teams in the final 4 lol. A Heineken or frozen lemonade is your prize sir, if you can stand meeting me lol
    Last edited by fiopadp7791; 04-09-2013 at 05:01 AM.
    If y'all fresh to death, then I'm deceased... -Kanye West
    Jamiroquai 2015 please.
    Quote Originally Posted by miscorrections View Post
    How is any of that ironic? On this board I absolutely expect terrible people to call other people terrible.