Page 6 of 29 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Fitchella 2013 It's GO TIME!

Default Re: Fitchella 2013 It's GO TIME!

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    I have been substitute teaching Zumba classes for my instructor when she's away, and I have two classes to teach this week. If I can just get my diet under control i'm hoping the squat-a-thon mixed with Zumba 3-4 x weekly will get me leaner/toned for the new year. But I'd like to look into whether adult ballet is offered around here.
    so far all zumba has done is reinforce my belief that I'm terribly uncoordinated!! dance central did the same thing for me at first, so I'm hoping that practice will make me less awkward. some girl friends go to zumba at the gym (funny enough, the one that I work for, and have never gone to) but that's far too intimidating for me.

sounds like you're getting into a nice routine!
    last.fm | facebook | twitter | tumblr
    2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011
    2012 2013
    11/19 Night Terrors of 1927 at Soda Bar 11/11 & 11/18 Night Terrors of 1927 at The Echo
    1/23 Dent May at The Echo 1/19/14 Volcano Choir at H.o.B. San Diego

Are you using the start/stop method when she pulls? How long do you walk her for?
    Yes, I wait for her to stop pulling and calm down before I go forward. I walk her to a neighborhood field, take the leash off and let her run, then I walk back. The whole procedure takes 10-15 minutes. Maybe 5 minutes walking.
    Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    i fucking hate women with their lives together who try and help other people. where are the needy bitches at?!

Quote Originally Posted by scenicworld View Post
    so far all zumba has done is reinforce my belief that I'm terribly uncoordinated!! dance central did the same thing for me at first, so I'm hoping that practice will make me less awkward. some girl friends go to zumba at the gym (funny enough, the one that I work for, and have never gone to) but that's far too intimidating for me.

sounds like you're getting into a nice routine!
    Practice makes all the difference with Zumba as several dance sequences (salsa, merengue, mambo) get repeated in the songs. Once you get the hang of them it really helps. The trick is to keep doing it. If you go to it at the gym, remember noone is looking at you- all eyes are on the teacher's feet. Less reason to feel self-conscious. I hope you stick with it!

I need to lay off the red wine and pub food if I'm going to see the benefits of this stuff...working on it!
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    A butt plug is not a weapon.

Do you wear a headband when you zumba?

4/20: Godflesh, Cut Hands @ DNA Lounge
    4/21: The Men @ Rickshaw Stop
    4/26: Simian Mobile Disco, Earth @ Pappy and Harriet's
    5/2-5/4: Austin Psych Fest @ Carson Creek Ranch
    5/10: Joey Anderson @ TBA
    5/17: Kishi Bashi @ GAMH
    5/17: Move D b2b Optimo, Jackmaster, J.Phlip @ PW
    5/21: Baths @ The Independent
    5/30: The Decemberists @ The Crystal Ballroom
    6/27: Fuck Buttons @ The Independent
    6/28: Robyn & Royksopp @ Bill Graham

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Yes, I wait for her to stop pulling and calm down before I go forward. I walk her to a neighborhood field, take the leash off and let her run, then I walk back. The whole procedure takes 10-15 minutes. Maybe 5 minutes walking.
    We have to do two trips to the off leash park every day, and we walk around it in a circle 2x each trip. So it takes about 45 minutess each time. Our girls are so active they'd be terrorists at home if we didn't get them that much exercise.
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Do you wear a headband when you zumba?
    I wear a ball cap. A full hour makes you sweat like crazy so you need something for sure.

I fell off the cheese wagon. Or on it. Whatever.

4/20: Godflesh, Cut Hands @ DNA Lounge
    4/21: The Men @ Rickshaw Stop
    4/26: Simian Mobile Disco, Earth @ Pappy and Harriet's
    5/2-5/4: Austin Psych Fest @ Carson Creek Ranch
    5/10: Joey Anderson @ TBA
    5/17: Kishi Bashi @ GAMH
    5/17: Move D b2b Optimo, Jackmaster, J.Phlip @ PW
    5/21: Baths @ The Independent
    5/30: The Decemberists @ The Crystal Ballroom
    6/27: Fuck Buttons @ The Independent
    6/28: Robyn & Royksopp @ Bill Graham

Cheese is too good not to eat.

Yolo, guedita. Yolo.

Daddy doesn't need tol lose weight. I'm already fit and strong. Just sayin ya'll fatties need tips.

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

who are you talking to?
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

Not u girl, I like the way u work it. No diggity.....

got on the elliptical today, they finally got new ones at my complex that don't squeak! i actually enjoyed it this time. though, i can't tell if i'm doing it right. when i run, i feel like phoebe on friends. and i feel the same way on the elliptical; like i'm super bouncy. should my heels be touching the footpads or is it ok if they come up? should i feel like i'm running and in motion or try to stay in one spot with my hips kinda forward? i feel like i'm not positioning myself right, but i still had fun. and i got an arm workout! i never get those! also, it felt soooooo good to zip up a dress over the weekend that i bought on clearance over a year ago, but could not fit into at the time.

got on the elliptical today, they finally got new ones at my complex that don't squeak! i actually enjoyed it this time. though, i can't tell if i'm doing it right. when i run, i feel like phoebe on friends. and i feel the same way on the elliptical; like i'm super bouncy. should my heels be touching the footpads or is it ok if they come up? should i feel like i'm running and in motion or try to stay in one spot with my hips kinda forward? i feel like i'm not positioning myself right, but i still had fun. and i got an arm workout! i never get those! also, it felt soooooo good to zip up a dress over the weekend that i bought on clearance over a year ago, but could not fit into at the time.
    You can target the muscles you want to work by keeping your feet flat or going up on your toes. You'll get more of a calf workout/ toning by going on your toes, but your quads will work harder if you work to keep your feet flat, although it feels less natural, IMO.

Bleh. I need to join this thread. I've been absolutely terrible about working out all year. So bad that I didn't even notice that my gym membership expired a couple of months ago... oops. This weekend, I emptied my kitchen of sweets and most refined/packaged foods, so I've been working on switching back to eating whole grains instead of white rice/bread/pasta and have greatly cut back on dairy. Still need to eat far more veggies and fruits though.

I've been copping out of going to the gym so far this week though, I need to stop telling myself that going out dancing is enough exercise. :P

Yay! Welcome!

ha, welcome back! dancing is the best exercise but yeah, it's not enough. though you go out a lot more than i do. emptying the cupboards is key. other than my own personal baking, i haven't kept sweets or bad snacks around for awhile. pistacios, 100 calorie pastry crisps, danon light & fit 80 calorie yogurt, and other assorted 100 calorie packs have been my friend.

thanks, thatgirl. i do want to work my upper legs, it just felt like a lot of work to keep my heels down. maybe i can work my way up to that lol. while i'm sure i'm still burning calories no matter what, i want to make sure i'm doing it correctly so i don't hurt myself. when i tried to keep my hips forward (i tend to arch my back too much and stick out my butt), my lower back starts hurting. it's funny, every other week my physical therapist either tells me to flatten my back or arch it to offset either the back or hip pain with my stretches.

also, a few of my best girlfriends have joined myfitnesspal without us ever talking about it. it's so motivating when i see they were under their calorie goal, i want to be under too!!!

Ivy, that ballet fitness class you mentioned sounds really fun. And I do go dancing a lot, but it's not a substitution for working out through the week and I need to do some strength and flexibility training either way.

Regarding calorie goals: I saw you mentioned saving calories until later in the day, and that's what I *prefer* to do too, though I've had the best results when I flipped my calorie allocation and ate the most in the AM (a breakfast and a mid-morning snack), then had a small mid-afternoon meal and only a snack for dinner unless I worked out at night. I don't like doing that - I love eating nice dinners - but I lost weight the most quickly then, and also found that I was less inclined to graze on things in the kitchen all evening.

Lets see some pictures of booties in the next few weeks

we had a 2 hour presentation from one of our VPs of PT that talked about fitness today. it was really well done and even though it's all stuff that you already know on its own, it's nice to have an all encompassing presentation to put it together. now to try and put it into practice!!
    2012 2013
    11/19 Night Terrors of 1927 at Soda Bar 11/11 & 11/18 Night Terrors of 1927 at The Echo

Karl Hyde must burn mad colories at Underworld shows. The guy dances hard as fuck throughout the whole show.

God I hope these guys grace us with their presence on the fields this year.

well i'm driving on a donut tire and my girlfriend is working on her new house, so we prolly won't get to ballet until the new year since they're closed for the holidays, boo.

and yeah, i feel miserable when i can't have a nice dinner. and eating a big dinner keeps me from grazing. i did find these awesome 10 calorie gelatin cups for when i absolutely feel like i must eat before bed. i may not lose weight as quickly, but saving calories for dinner seems to work. especially when impromptu dinner dates pop up.

good luck, scenicworld!

and i wish i went out more to dance. i always feel great.

I'm sorry to admit that the squat a thon and I parted ways at day 5.

and i wish i went out more to dance. i always feel great.
    You would probably really enjoy Zumba.

Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    Karl Hyde must burn mad colories at Underworld shows. The guy dances hard as fuck throughout the whole show.
    Hah. Sometimes I feel like people who see how hard I dance must wonder how I can still be fat.

And yea, I usually feel great when I come home from dancing. Motivation and attitude have a huge impact - dancing all night at a show or all day at a festival burns a TON of calories and I feel wonderful. One hour at the gym burns only a few and I am grumpy thinking about it, and grumpier still when I get home.

here's the soft copy of the presentation our Personal Training VP gave yesterday if anyone was curious. it says confidential, but I really don't see how or why it needs to be. the part about labeling was really helpful for me.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/11030104/Th...%20Fitness.pdf
    2012 2013

VigoTheCarpathian

I bought INSANITY. I tried it once so far and have never felt like a bigger lop in my life

You would probably really enjoy Zumba.
    are the zumba dvds or the wii disc any good? i thought about buying one recently, but had a bad experience with the last dance dvd i bought.

are the zumba dvds or the wii disc any good? i thought about buying one recently, but had a bad experience with the last dance dvd i bought.
    My fiance loves Zumba. She lost some weight from doing it too.

I have a zumba game for the Kinect but I haven't played it yet. the other dance/fitness games seem to accurately track my movements far better than the wii ever did so I really don't know how well it would work well on the wii since it all depends on that balance board. when I was doing yoga on the wii, I found myself doing poses to please the wii even when it was wrong just so I could get a good score. Videos are great but I feel like they get stale very quick.
    2012 2013

Hrm, really? I didn't find that on the Wii Yoga games, but I wasn't very good at them either, so I felt like mostly it was making me correct balance/wobbliness in postures, which was OK.

I'm not really a fan of the dance and sports games I've played for Kinect so far. Which ones have you liked?