Page 10 of 29 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Fitchella 2013 It's GO TIME!

Default Re: Fitchella 2013 It's GO TIME!

I wasn't all that impressed with the apps food choices at all. it does have a bar code scanner, so if you're eating packaged foods, that might make it easier? use the website, it's way better!

it's important to track your calorie burn and consumption otherwise you won't know for sure that you are in the right calorie deficit range. even ballpark guestimates are better than nothing at all, so even if you use your cardio app to get a baseline of your physical calorie burn, you can enter that into myfitnesspal.

I wish I could set you all up with bodybuggs since it's so much better than any of these apps, but we are winding down and getting out of the game soon and I don't have the same hookups with the bodybugg by bodymedia devices (which are WAY better than plain bodybuggs). it makes tracking your calorie burn so easy, all you have to do is wear the device on your arm and upload the data every few days. some of the devices even connect via bluetooth so you can see real time displays of your steps/calorie burn. MyFitnessPal even integrates with the new bodybugg by bodymedia so I'm tempted to use my employee discount and pick one up, but not until the OG bodybugg goes away since I'm cheap and don't want to pay for the device and subscription.

I definitely recommend them if anyone it on the fence though - and no, I don't get commission haha
    last.fm | facebook | twitter | tumblr
    2006 • 2007 • 2008 • 2009 • 2010 • 2011
    • 2012 • 2013 • 2014
    8/5 Arcade Fire (Sleep Train Amphitheater) • 10/3-5 Austin City Limits •

A Bodybugg would be cool, but yeah, I don't like the idea of paying for the service. I'm doing MFP, too, and am using a Polar HRM to track my calories burned. I also use a Nike+ to track my walks/runs, but it's too cold to do much of that now. Tracking calories has really been an eye opener
    Quote Originally Posted by fatbastard View Post
    They say manners are the thread of society. I spent the weekend with a bunch of monkeys who eat spaghetti with their feet, and are proud of it.

The murder capital where we murder for capital

About 3.5 miles of biking and 1.6 mile walk today.

I ate:
    Banana, orange an apple.
    3/4 pund hamgburger patty (no bun or condiements)
    Green Bean w/ a lil bit o real butter

Dinner will be streak and broccoli

I drank about 80 oz. of water today. I felt a lot more energetic today as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Errant View Post
    A Bodybugg would be cool, but yeah, I don't like the idea of paying for the service. I'm doing MFP, too, and am using a Polar HRM to track my calories burned. I also use a Nike+ to track my walks/runs, but it's too cold to do much of that now. Tracking calories has really been an eye opener
    I'm a little bummed that there isn't a nike+ app for android but I have runkeeper for that I guess. I'm finally wearing my bugg today after figuring out which one was mine (I have a few "test devices" laying around). I don't know if I'd pay for it, but it's definitely a good program and one of the best for tracking calories.
    • 2012 • 2013 • 2014

I know I'm a bit late to the party but I'm going to join in. I know that having support helps a lot, even if it's from people online.

This semester is my final semester of college. It's time I get my shit together.
    I'm almost 180 pounds. This is the heaviest I've been in my entire life (I'm usually 165-170 lbs and have been for close to 8 years). I have a gut and no more real muscle tone in my arms and shoulders like I used to. I decided to go running with my girlfriend today. My lungs felt like they were on fire. So, I've decided to quit smoking. I even enrolled in a weight-lifting class for my 1-credit hour course this semester.

Days without smoking: 1 (ugh)
    Days without drinking soda or energy drinks: 6 (down from one to three cans a day)
    Quote Originally Posted by miscorrections View Post
    It's really boring when people use this thread to post about their successes.
    Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    ...... hey im not posting anything in here about half raptor half alligator people

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

way to go the first step is the hardest! and i know what you mean about the lungs. i hiked up from bryce canyon a few months ago and could not stop coughing after.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

Ending the MyFitnessPal holiday break with 3 unwanted lbs to shed and a modest goal of 10-12 lbs to lose by weekend one.

Nine mile run with (Boston) Marathon training group tonight was a grind.

Half-marathon March 24th awaits.
    Last edited by santasutt; 01-10-2013 at 09:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    way to go the first step is the hardest! and i know what you mean about the lungs. i hiked up from bryce canyon a few months ago and could not stop coughing after.
    Thanks!! It seriously killed me. I've never really been able to run a mile all the way through without slowing way down or taking a break but I did it today in the icy, rainy weather today with the help of my girlfriend running beside me. Hopefully I'll be able to get rid of these stupid manboobs that I've apparently acquired last semester.
    ...... hey im not posting anything in here about half raptor half alligator people

I just quit smoking about 6 months ago too and it's really helped me with the physical activity. keep it up!! have you considered the electronic cigarettes?

like Ivy said, it's that first step and you've already made it

great job on the run!!
    • 2012 • 2013 • 2014

Quote Originally Posted by scenicworld View Post
    I just quit smoking about 6 months ago too and it's really helped me with the physical activity. keep it up!! have you considered the electronic cigarettes?

like Ivy said, it's that first step and you've already made it

great job on the run!!
    I just bought a disposable e-cigarette today. It's really been helpful. I apparently shouldn't have bought the disposable ones, but should in have invested in the ones that are rechargeable. Thankfully the gas station down the street sells the rechargeable ones for only like $15, so I'll definitely be picking up a kit. I've been smoking for the past 5 or so years, so hopefully this time I'll actually quit.

I used the njoy 510-t system. it has a clear tank to hold the liquid and has the cleanest taste. just make sure you can get a refillable system in addition to the rechargeable system so that you can save a ton of money. www.healthcabin.net is where I bought my stuff from, but there are several sites.
    • 2012 • 2013 • 2014

@redhotsgtpeppers. Welcome! Better late than never. A few things you need to know. You're main problem is body fat percentage, now weight it an issue but ιveryones weight fluctuates daily so sometimes checking the scale everyday can be discouraging. Step on the scale once every one or two weeks. You also can lose around two lbs of water weight if you workout hard enough in a day. 1lb of fat is 3500 calories. So you should be aiming to burn 3500 cals more a week than you consume and you will lose a pound of fat. The average person can lose 1-2 lbs a week at a healthy rate. It isn't easy at first but like anything in life the more you do it the easier and more enjoyable it gets so don't give up on it. If you want to get where you want to be it's going to take some life style changes in what you eat and how you exercise. I would suggest not eating two hours around going to sleep. Also alcohol is a killer. protien and carbs are 4 calories/gram fat is 9cals/gram and alcohol is 7cals/gram.

Quote Originally Posted by RedHotSgtPeppers View Post
    I just bought a disposable e-cigarette today. It's really been helpful. I apparently shouldn't have bought the disposable ones, but should in have invested in the ones that are rechargeable. Thankfully the gas station down the street sells the rechargeable ones for only like $15, so I'll definitely be picking up a kit. I've been smoking for the past 5 or so years, so hopefully this time I'll actually quit.
    Good for you!!! I've been quit 5 years and it was well worth it. Hang in there!
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    hey. get your own colonoscopy thread, bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Chillzzz View Post
    @redhotsgtpeppers. Welcome! Better late than never. A few things you need to know. You're main problem is body fat percentage, now weight it an issue but ιveryones weight fluctuates daily so sometimes checking the scale everyday can be discouraging. Step on the scale once every one or two weeks. You also can lose around two lbs of water weight if you workout hard enough in a day. 1lb of fat is 3500 calories. So you should be aiming to burn 3500 cals more a week than you consume and you will lose a pound of fat. The average person can lose 1-2 lbs a week at a healthy rate. It isn't easy at first but like anything in life the more you do it the easier and more enjoyable it gets so don't give up on it. If you want to get where you want to be it's going to take some life style changes in what you eat and how you exercise. I would suggest not eating two hours around going to sleep. Also alcohol is a killer. protien and carbs are 4 calories/gram fat is 9cals/gram and alcohol is 7cals/gram.
    Thanks! I've recently cut out pop, cut out smoking, and cut out eating after 11pm (my job sometimes lets me go home after 10:30 and I'm usually starving after work), and I just started running today. I plan on running 3 times a week, and going to the gym to work out 2-3 times a week (I have a weight lifting class Tuesday/Thursday for school). I really want to get rid of this gut and these stupid love handles I've had since I was 10. I know I'm not "overweight" or "fat" or anything, but I just want to get in to shape to the point of people considering me to be "fit." I'm going grocery shopping this week too, so I plan on buying lots of healthy foods so I can eat right as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    Good for you!!! I've been quit 5 years and it was well worth it. Hang in there!
    Thanks!! Like I said before, I have been smoking since I was 17, and it's become more than just "a habit." I would do it as a stress reliever, and when I was bored or upset. I'm really hoping that the e-cigs will help wean me off of them this semester until I eventually will just stop needing nicotine all together.

Lost around 6lbs since 1st Jan. Doing my lent detox early, as I'll be at SXSW during lent and can't really do that beer free. Don't normally do a Jan detox, as my birthday falls within.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

Quote Originally Posted by sonofhal View Post
    Lost around 6lbs since 1st Jan. Doing my lent detox early, as I'll be at SXSW during lent and can't really do that beer free. Don't normally do a Jan detox, as my birthday falls within.
    sober birthday, that's gotta be rough! i'm sure SXSW will be worth it though. congrats on the 6lbs and keep up the good work

despite feeling absolutely crummy yesterday for girl reasons and ordering pizza & wings, i managed to get on the elliptical and even hula-hoop for the first time in ages. i'm 2.2 pounds away from weighing what i did before the holidays. also i'm SO glad i invested in an armband and sports headphones for my ipod. i didn't buy the best model of either, but they really do help. before that, my cord would sometimes get caught on the handle of the machine.

Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by RageAgainstTheAoki View Post
    Do any of the serious lifters on here use weightlifting straps or hooks? I do all my cardio (HIIT) at the gym, but save all my weightlifting for home exclusively using select-tech dumbbells. I use gloves when lifting, but in the last few months I've come to a point at which I am lifting a significant amount of weight. There are many reasons why dumbbells are great for weightlifting but one of the downsides is that when you start lifting a significant amount of weight you end up putting a great deal of stress on your hands and wrists and forearms even when those are not the muscles being targeted in the specific exercises (ex: deadlifts).

I'm at a point now at which at about 3/4 of the way into a workout (especially on back days) I'm struck with "grip fatigue". At that point the muscles that I'm supposed to be working with those particular exercises still have the capacity to work out but my hands are so over strained from holding the dumbbells that they can no longer grip. I do exercises for the forearms wrists and hands and I've been told I have a pretty strong grip. I'm looking for anyone who has experience using weightlifting straps or hooks. Cheers!

(Oh, and, excuse any typos. Had to use Siri for most of this Message and she doesn't always recognize my accent)
    Straps are invaluable for deadlifting, IMO. There comes a point when double overhand grip, and eventually even mixed grip, can't handle the weight (with a barbell obviously). Straps help with this, especially if your gym doesn't let you use chalk.

I know you're working out at home though, and I've never really heard of or have seen anyone using straps on dumbbells. I would definitely ditch the gloves, as this could be your problem. I am vehemently against weight lifting gloves, as they A) make the bar larger in your hands, making it tougher to hold, B) grip strength becomes problematic, and you are almost forced to use straps, and C) while they do stop some callouses from developing (one of the main reasons people use gloves), they will never stop all of them as time goes on.

Try your routine without gloves and see if your grip endurance is better.

Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    despite feeling absolutely crummy for girl reasons
    marinara sauce for bread sticks

Tried to hurriedly use a doctor customer's electronic scale without anyone seeing yesterday and couldn't get the bloody thing to give me the lbs skinny. Okay you hit "On", then? Pretty sure there's been a holiday gain from all the sweets...chocolate covered macadamia nuts, toll house cookies! (you use a whole stick of butter for each batch. Hmm, healthy.), brownies, tart pies, dark and milk chocolate covered shortbread, etc.

Allright gonna join in here so I can hold myself more accountable. I just started a 12 week training challenge on Monday and so far so good. I typically eat pretty clean, but I have a sweet tooth and tend to snack late at night since I typically work through dinner. I'm really trying to focus on increasing my strength and losing the 15 lbs or so I gained after surgery I had this time last year. I just joined myfitnesspal and will attempt to track my progress there. my username is mrmonsterface if anyone that uses it wants to add me.

So whats everyone's healthy and simple go to meal for lunch/dinner? I usually stick to salad with grilled chicken, but that gets boring real quick.

welcome

i love stouffer's "grandma's chicken & rice bake". it takes awhile to cook in the oven, but at only 290 calories per serving, i find it a great dinner that i can then use as lunch for the next few days, as well as one more dinner.

I'm still working on the healthy eating stuff... for right now I'm just reducing quantity and avoiding obviously bad foods. step by step! if I make too many changes at ones, it will backfire with me like it has in the past.

got a quick walk in during my break. I find that I never take breaks at work now that I don't smoke so I'm going to try and take a walk during the times I used to smoke.

first full day with the bugg!

• 2012 • 2013 • 2014

Best tip I learned about portion control is to buy smaller plates. Fill it up with food and you trick your brain into thinking you ate more than you did. It is insane the size of some of the plates and portions at restaurants these days. At home we use the small salad plates instead of dinner plates many nights.

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

Having something like the Bugg is motivating. It will always make you want to compete with yourself and not fall off
    Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    When Foster the People played Pumped Up Kicks I freaked the fuck out because I thought that song was long gone

ha, i've been doing that too, steve.

and senicworld, i agree that small steps are easiest can't do everything at once! for example, i'd like to get down to my ideal weight before i start focusing on cooking more and eating less pre-prepared foods.

Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    Best tip I learned about portion control is to buy smaller plates. Fill it up with food and you trick your brain into thinking you ate more than you did. It is insane the size of some of the plates and portions at restaurants these days. At home we use the small salad plates instead of dinner plates many nights.
    this is very true! another tip is to eat slower. it takes your mind about 15 minutes to realize that you've eaten anything and if you're a fast eater you'll eat more than you really need. take your time and eat slow and you'll find that you're full earlier.

also drinking lots of water before and during your meal will help eat less.

Quote Originally Posted by Neighborhood Creep View Post
    Having something like the Bugg is motivating. It will always make you want to compete with yourself and not fall off
    I've used it off and on, but since this is my "work" I usually don't want anything to do with them haha
    • 2012 • 2013 • 2014

Protein: Chicken, fish, and eggs for complete proteins (all 9 essential amino acids found in animal products.) Rice & beans also complete this amino acid chain for a complete protein. Carbohydrates: 1.) Apples, mangos, spinach, arugula, asparagus, spinach, carrots, (fruits/vegetables) 2.) Brown rice, whole wheat breads, potatoes. (Starches should be consumed pre-workout for instant energy but fruits and vegetables are most sustainable energy.) Fats: Avocados, coconut oil, almonds, peanut butter. (All should be used sparingly but for those trying to add muscle mass need to know that growth hormone is a fat soluble hormone that needs a fat to transport it to proper cites. And vitamins A, E, D, K are all fat soluble as well so they require some fat for them to enter your system.
    Last edited by Chillzzz; 01-10-2013 at 10:55 AM.

Back to calorie tracking on Sparkpeople. Making a fresh start today.
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    hey. get your own colonoscopy thread, bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by wooha View Post
    Straps are invaluable for deadlifting, IMO. There comes a point when double overhand grip, and eventually even mixed grip, can't handle the weight (with a barbell obviously). Straps help with this, especially if your gym doesn't let you use chalk.

I know you're working out at home though, and I've never really heard of or have seen anyone using straps on dumbbells. I would definitely ditch the gloves, as this could be your problem. I am vehemently against weight lifting gloves, as they A) make the bar larger in your hands, making it tougher to hold, B) grip strength becomes problematic, and you are almost forced to use straps, and C) while they do stop some callouses from developing (one of the main reasons people use gloves), they will never stop all of them as time goes on.

Try your routine without gloves and see if your grip endurance is better.

Dumbbell deadlifts are exactly the kinds of exercises I was referring to. Thanks for the great notes appreciate all the detail. Had not considered that gloves could be impacting things though the gloves are advisable with these particular kinds of dumbbells because of the severe imprints they will leave on your hands, But I'll give it a shot without the gloves to see how it goes. Thanks.

Today was a good day

• 2012 • 2013 • 2014

You should not watch anything while eating either. Visually seeing what you are eating as you eat it helps you feel full longer. I read an interesting article about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannahrain View Post
    PLURcenta