Page 9 of 29 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Fitchella 2013 It's GO TIME!

Default Re: Fitchella 2013 It's GO TIME!

When I was lifting in college I used the straps quite a bit for squatting mainly. I always thought they helped out quite a bit, but other girls on my team were indifferent (though they didn't always lift as much as me). I think it is a to each their own situation, but I would recommend giving it a shot. Sorry I am not much help here.
    Quote Originally Posted by involvelemons View Post
    Silent discos are like having sex with a virgin: really exciting in theory, extremely awkward in execution.
    Quote Originally Posted by BROKENDOLL View Post
    I bet Cara's gotten enough Twats on a Platter and Dick on a Stick to open her own Trolls to Go snack shop.

Quote Originally Posted by chiapet View Post
    I have a stationary bike, which was wonderful for cycling while watching crap TV shows, but I don't have any room for it now because my record collection has taken up all the free space in my living room... :/
    I was looking at those space-saving stationary bikes on amazon a few weeks ago and almost bought one that folds up into a corner or closet but they just look so cheaply made and I expect them to break within a few months so I didn't get one. I kind of want to get a real bike to ride around town, but I'd prefer if I had some friends to ride with before I spend so much on something that ultimately might take up space in my garage.
    last.fm | facebook | twitter | tumblr
    2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011
    2012 2013 2014
    8/5 Arcade Fire (Sleep Train Amphitheater) 10/3-5 Austin City Limits

oh, and I managed to get in a little workout last night thanks to the inspiration in this thread! thanks everyone!!
    2012 2013 2014

Quote Originally Posted by scenicworld View Post
    oh, and I managed to get in a little workout last night thanks to the inspiration in this thread! thanks everyone!!
    Nice job!!!
    Silent discos are like having sex with a virgin: really exciting in theory, extremely awkward in execution.
    I bet Cara's gotten enough Twats on a Platter and Dick on a Stick to open her own Trolls to Go snack shop.

Quote Originally Posted by scenicworld View Post
    Nice! That's where you'll get an edge, and really start to get in get shape.

Those little workouts that you just sneak in when you're bored late at night.

Even if you've already worked out that day, if you're bored and not tired why not?

The murder capital where we murder for capital

Hi friends. Just checking in. I'm still getting started but I can see a nice routine starting until the weather warms a bit. I started biking to work again this week. That's just over 3 miles round trip. I am also walking on my lunch break which is about 1.6 miles in 25 minutes with one stop halfway through. I have just started watching what I eat too.

Today's meals:
    Breakfast:2 strips of bacon and two eggs sunny side up
    snacks: apple and a 220 calorie bag of animal crackers
    Lunch: Broccoli and taco meat
    afternoon snack: Banana and maybe an orange if i'm still hungry.
    Dinner: Lean ground beef patty (aprox 3/4 pound) and green beans with fresh onions and green peppers mixed in.

How is everyone else doing?

I am down 6 lbs! I am getting a little frustrated bc I can't really tell a difference.... BUT Ivy has been so awesome and motivating lately! She added me on myfitnesspal and it has helped me a ton. I am trying to stay motivated... One day at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by RageAgainstTheAoki View Post
    Do any of the serious lifters on here use weightlifting straps or hooks? I do all my cardio (HIIT) at the gym, but save all my weightlifting for home exclusively using select-tech dumbbells. I use gloves when lifting, but in the last few months I've come to a point at which I am lifting a significant amount of weight. There are many reasons why dumbbells are great for weightlifting but one of the downsides is that when you start lifting a significant amount of weight you end up putting a great deal of stress on your hands and wrists and forearms even when those are not the muscles being targeted in the specific exercises (ex: deadlifts).

I'm at a point now at which at about 3/4 of the way into a workout (especially on back days) I'm struck with "grip fatigue". At that point the muscles that I'm supposed to be working with those particular exercises still have the capacity to work out but my hands are so over strained from holding the dumbbells that they can no longer grip. I do exercises for the forearms wrists and hands and I've been told I have a pretty strong grip. I'm looking for anyone who has experience using weightlifting straps or hooks. Cheers!

(Oh, and, excuse any typos. Had to use Siri for most of this Message and she doesn't always recognize my accent)
    I only use the barbell and I never use clips. The only exersizes that I do are squats, bench, bentover row, deadlifts, shoulder press, curls, calf raises and upright rows. Personally, I don't want to be "strapped" in with my wieght. Why don't you switch to using a barbell?
    "ain't no thang but a chicken wang"

[QUOTE=RageAgainstTheAoki;2608192]Do any of the serious lifters on here use weightlifting straps or hooks? I do all my cardio (HIIT) at the gym, but save all my weightlifting for home exclusively using select-tech dumbbells. I use gloves when lifting, but in the last few months I've come to a point at which I am lifting a significant amount of weight. There are many reasons why dumbbells are great for weightlifting but one of the downsides is that when you start lifting a significant amount of weight you end up putting a great deal of stress on your hands and wrists and forearms even when those are not the muscles being targeted in the specific exercises (ex: deadlifts).

I'm at a point now at which at about 3/4 of the way into a workout (especially on back days) I'm struck with "grip fatigue". At that point the muscles that I'm supposed to be working with those particular exercises still have the capacity to work out but my hands are so over strained from holding the dumbbells that they can no longer grip. I do exercises for the forearms wrists and hands and I've been told I have a pretty strong grip. I'm looking for anyone who has experience using weightlifting straps or hooks. Cheers!

I've worked with D-1 athletes for three years and we don't allow ththem to use straps belts or any gimicks. Though these devices serve a purpose they mimick what your muscles should be doing so in the long run your actually hampering your development. The more you do these exercises without the straps the stronger your forarms (brachioradialis, and wrist flexor/extensors) will become. You need to let your grip catch up or you could be susceptible to injury. But that's just my two cents.
    Last edited by Chillzzz; 01-08-2013 at 11:23 AM.

I did a shit today that reduced my weight by around 5lbs.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

Possibly as long as I continue to progress lol. I like that it's a walk. What's the date? What charity?

NVM. It's only a 1k so we figured there's no point.

BUT, mayby we can restart Hikenbrunch. That was fun.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

A 1k? lol that's liike a walk to the corner. We will definitely hikenbrunch though. Maybe late next month? The little trail by where I used to live would probably be good and we can do breakfast at that farm near S. Mountain again too. I'm in for this stuff.

I just joined myfitness pal. I doubt I will keep track of things, but I will try.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannahrain View Post
    PLURcenta

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    NVM. It's only a 1k so we figured there's no point.

BUT, mayby we can restart Hikenbrunch. That was fun.
    Yes. I need to get in shape.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

i'm all for another hikenbrunch. i won't be in town the last weekend of the month (BF5 HOLLA), but i will be in town for MLK day if anyone is interested.

also, i gained a few pounds over the holiday, but am slowly shedding them. it's so much easier to watch my weight when i'm in a regular routine at work. i've also gotten back into walking at work which makes me feel less-stressed about getting home and HAVING to work out.

and i also appreciate the myfitnesspal friends like enluv keeping me in check
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

4 days straight with a workout!!! my legs are arms are sore and it makes me feel like I'm going in the right direction.

I've mostly been just playing with the kinect, but I've been using the Nike+ trainer demo, Your Fitness Evolved and Jillian Michaels "games" in addition to the fun dance games. I even have a workout buddy and both of us are making a point to work out monday through friday. last night I bought the full version of Nike+ since it seemed to be a really well structured fitness game that was more about getting down to business instead of a game that has some physical involvement. it tracks progress and fine tunes your exercises every 4 weeks and seems to hold you somewhat accountable. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYbNMlN1Npw

Jillian Michaels is a fun adventure style fitness game and I could probably have a little fun with it, but it would get boring quick. basically, you run in place around this temple thing and eventually get to some obstacles that you have to perform exercises to get passed. leg lifts, squats, bends and stuff like that in reps of 10 for each side. I was doing really well until I had to do leg squats followed by high leg kicks!! I just don't have enough room to fully extend my leg and it wouldn't give me credit for the exercise. on a positive note, I did 20+ minutes of these leg squats followed by high kicks trying to get passed it, so at least it gave me a good workout!! Nike+ took this into consideration and changes your body orientation to give you more room for those types of exercises.

finally got around to actually playing the zumba rush game after being intimidated by the cover and the video for so long. it's a lot of fun and really doesn't take that long to get the moves down. I know I'm not doing them perfect, but as I practice and learn the routines a bit more, I can see it being a very fun game. and at 60-80 calories per song (by its estimations), it's a serious workout!!

Dance Central and Dance Central 3 are just way too much fun and before you know it it's been 3 hours and you've burned a ton of calories and maybe even learned a few dance moves in the process!!

I'm going to hook up my bodybugg and check to see how accurate the xbox's estimations are - and to get myself on a better path.
    2012 2013 2014

Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    i'm all for another hikenbrunch. i won't be in town the last weekend of the month (BF5 HOLLA), but i will be in town for MLK day if anyone is interested.

also, i gained a few pounds over the holiday, but am slowly shedding them. it's so much easier to watch my weight when i'm in a regular routine at work. i've also gotten back into walking at work which makes me feel less-stressed about getting home and HAVING to work out.

Thanks Ivy! Today I was really dreading going on my walk, I just wasn't feeling it, but went for it anyway. It is so nice to have something to log on there!

I should download that app if y'all are using it. I definitely agree about walking at work taking the stress out of finding the time after. Last night I had very low energy, then around 8:30 I felt like a walk but the thought was fleeting so I walked the dog around the block. For some reason that very short walk was really uncomfortable and painful. Once I start to feel pain I get very discouraged. A lot of this walking is learning about pain management it seems. Today I was in pain and I just kept going. It's just a wall I have to break though... I hope. Using the bike to commute, walking at lunch and watching what I eat will be a good start. I can't seem to get back into a morning jog though. I really loved how I felt following it but i'm just not feeling it yet so the little bike ride to work will do for now.

Beth and anyone else who uses the fitness video games. I heard the early ones weren't very good or effective work outs. Has that changed? Would I need a Kinnect or some motion sensor thing? Which ones are best? I'm interested.

it probably depends on the person, but I like that I can workout in the privacy of my home and still have a personal trainer of sorts. I have a free gym membership, but I am really self conscious and hate working out in public (even though no one cares what we look like).

the wii was pretty bad, at least in my experience. I felt like I was doing stuff to please the game regardless of if I was doing the pose/exercise properly. the kinect is spot on and it also shows yourself while you do the exercise which is horrifying yet very helpful. some of the earlier kinect fitness games weren't that great, but still leaps ahead of the wii.

you'd need an xbox360 and a kinect to play those games. it is probably a bit of an investment *just* for fitness games, but if you think you and Connor would get use beyond just the fitness games, it's money well spent. I really like the Nike+ game. it has the most potential by far, but like I said earlier, the YourFitness Evolved 2012 also seems like a good one and if you just want some serious cardio, the dance and zumba games are perfect. the nice thing about xbox is that you can download a demo for just about every game before you buy, so give them a shot
    2012 2013 2014

alright... I signed up for myfitnesspal. all of my usernames seem to be taken, but none of my emails were registered. weird!!

anyways, feel free to add scenicworlds

Your projected weight loss is: 1.7 lbs/week

You should lose 8.6 lbs. by February 12
    2012 2013 2014

i use the app all the time. IFA is on there too. i personally prefer to use it on the computer as there seems to be more options in the searches, but it's good for the phone too. sometimes you won't find the food you are exactly looking for, so then i look at the options and find the median calories and use that. other times i'll add my own stuff if it's something i think i'll use more than once. i haven't added any joy of cooking recipes yet as that seems to take too much time though.

also, something i didn't do is enter my measurements along with my weight when i first started. probably a good thing to do when you start.

I can do MLK weekend but only on Saturday.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

I will be in Idaho next weekend/MLK weekend. I probablky wouldn't do well hiking this soon anyway. I can barely walk a mile on flat surface without pain.

Maybe I shouldn't have downloaded the app. I don't know my weight, I don't have a scale and I don't have a tape measure. I also rarely know how many calories are in things. Hmm i'll think on it. I might just stick to my cardiotrainer pro app that tracks the exercise. Even with that the GPS is rarely accurate.
    Last edited by faxman75; 01-08-2013 at 01:11 PM.

Maybe you need to pick up a scale and tape measure, faxy?
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

i use the app all the time. IFA is on there too. i personally prefer to use it on the computer as there seems to be more options in the searches, but it's good for the phone too. sometimes you won't find the food you are exactly looking for, so then i look at the options and find the median calories and use that. other times i'll add my own stuff if it's something i think i'll use more than once. i haven't added any joy of cooking recipes yet as that seems to take too much time though.

also, something i didn't do is enter my measurements along with my weight when i first started. probably a good thing to do when you start.
    Thanks for the heads up on the website compared to the app!! I was having a hard time searching for foods, even something as simple as a banana or orange. those of you on my facebook probably know how crucial oranges are for me since I post about them periodically

I have to admit that this app is nothing compared to what I'm used to with the bodybugg, but I like the social aspects of it and will see how things go!!
    2012 2013 2014

Beth, you are now added!!

I have to completely agree on the app. It is eh, but the website rocks!

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    I can do MLK weekend but only on Saturday.
    i'm in

Quote Originally Posted by faxman75 View Post
    Maybe I shouldn't have downloaded the app. I don't know my weight, I don't have a scale and I don't have a tape measure. I also rarely know how many calories are in things. Hmm i'll think on it. I might just stick to my cardiotrainer pro app that tracks the exercise. Even with that the GPS is rarely accurate.
    i have an extra scale. i recently bought a digital one, but i have an analog one you can use. also, i don't know the calories of things either, but it's amazing how much stuff is already in the database. i started out by being less exact, but over time have become more exact. i bought a food scale and so far have mainly used it to measure wine intake. the tape measure also isn't a big deal; you don't have to input your measurements, it's just nice to know. either way, that kind of tape measure (the fabric kind), costs under $10 i'd imagine, probably even under $5. i understand if this is all overwhelming at first, but tracking calories has been SUCH an eye opener for me.