Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Flesh-Eating Bacteria Thread

Default The Flesh-Eating Bacteria Thread

http://www.lohud.com/usatoday/articl...ext%7CNews%7Cs

FARMINGTON HILLS, Mich. -- Twelve days after doctors told a woman that she was finally clear of a life-threatening flesh-eating bacteria infection, she took a turn for the worse and died.

Crystal Spencer, 33, had spent a month in and out of three hospitals. Her husband had been visiting a rehabilitation hospital Sunday where she was about to be transferred when the hospital called and told him to return immediately.

"As soon as I got off the elevator," the staff told him, "We've got some bad news," Jeff Spencer said.

A team of eight doctors worked for more than an hour to resuscitate his wife, amid alarms indicating she was near death three times. She died at 3:36 p.m. Sunday.

The family is raising money to conduct an autopsy to find out as much as they can about what happened. Results could take several weeks.

Until about a week ago when they learned that their application for Medicaid had been approved, the Spencers had limited health insurance. Now Jeff Spencer said he has thousands of dollars in medical debt from care not covered by insurance.

Crystal Spencer was a high school dropout and had been poor and underinsured or uninsured most of her life. She had adult-onset diabetes and weighed more than 300 pounds all of her adult life, factors that put her at higher risk of contracting the flesh-eating bacteria.

Her death from necrotizing fasciitis has drawn national attention to a rare disease many had never heard of and others knew only by its scary name: the flesh-eating bacteria.

Nationwide, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has reported 500 to 1,500 cases a year; 1 in 5 people dies from it. Many others have fingers, toes or limbs amputated because the bacteria eats away at underlying layers of tissue.

Many cases are misdiagnosed or found late, according to the National Necrotizing Fasciitis Foundation, a nonprofit founded by two women who survived the infection.

The foundation hopes to raise awareness about a problem that needs more education and hospital early intervention programs so symptoms can be caught and treated with antibiotics or the removal of dead skin and infected tissue, a procedure called debridement. Others need surgery, including extensive skin grafts.

Too often, patients get the wrong treatment because the infection is misdiagnosed, according to the foundation

Jeff Spencer said doctors at Huron Valley-Sinai in Commerce Township, Mich., originally had told him his wife had a urinary tract infection. At Botsford Hospital here, where she first sought care June 23 for what she thought was a boil on her upper right thigh, an emergency department physician lanced the protruding tissue and sent her home with a Motrin prescription, said Theresa Corwin of Farmington Hills, a close friend.

She and Spencer blame Botsford for not running blood tests to see whether white blood cell counts were elevated, a sign of infection.

They also wonder why a doctor there called the infected area on her leg an "abscess" -- an accumulation of pus and tissue triggered by an infection -- but gave them no warning that Crystal Spencer might be contagious. Corwin, who said she is certified in CPR and first aid, was given the job of cleaning the wound and changing the dressings four to five times a day when her friend got home.

On Monday, Botsford spokeswoman Margo Gorchow said it was unlikely that Crystal Spencer contracted necrotizing facitiitis there because the infection typically is not acquired in a hospital, and the woman had none of its symptoms when she came to the emergency department.

A spokeswoman for Huron Valley-Sinai declined comment both Monday and Tuesday, citing patient privacy laws.

Mostly, Spencer said he wants answers because "we don't want this to happen again to someone else."

Copyright 2012 USA TODAY
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Default Re: The Flesh-Eating Bacteria Thread

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/08/...ting-bacteria/

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) – A firefighter on Long Island is in the fight of his life as doctors race against the clock to save Ralph Lettieri’s leg from flesh-eating bacteria.

The Lettieri family told CBS 2′s Jennifer McLogan on Wednesday that they are desperately looking for help from anybody who may be able to stop the bacteria from spreading.

“It’s a nightmare, so if the doctors are out there, don’t be afraid to pick up the phone if you have an idea,” said his father, Ralph Sr.

The rare and dangerous bacteria began eating away at Ralph Jr., a volunteer firefighter and construction worker, in mid-July.

“He has a flesh-eating disease. We are just trying to get him more help. Brookhaven has done everything to save his life. We just need more,” said his fiancée, Vickie Vasquez.

Overcome with emotion, Lettieri’s family has watched him undergo six surgeries in three days as more and more of his flesh and skin was removed.

Lettieri has been placed into a medically induced coma and was transferred from Brookhaven to Nassau University Medical Center, where the staff has put him in a hyperbaric chamber to try to control his double pneumonia.

In the meantime, Patchogue firefighters are praying for the stricken lieutenant.

“It was kinda shocking to all of us. One day here, the next day in the hospital,” Chief Anthony Citarella said.

Lettieri’s family told CBS 2 that they believe he acquired the disease after diving into a lake with an exposed wound. Antibiotics did nothing, and an infection known as Necrotizing Fascitis set in.

“It destroys and kills tissue. The bacteria consumes the tissues that are present,” explained Dr. Louis Riina of Nassau University Medical Center.

Lettieri’s hyperbaric chamber is being flooded with oxygen, which works to kill the flesh-eating disease. His family remains at his bedside as his colleagues organize prayer vigils and fundraisers.
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Aimee Copeland's recovery continues

Despite injuries, Copeland 'blessed'

http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/02/health...ria/index.html

(CNN) -- Aimee Copeland, the 24-year-old Georgia woman who has waged a two-month battle against flesh-eating bacteria, was released from a hospital Monday.

Copeland will enter a rehab facility for an undetermined amount of time before returning home after surgeons amputated most of her hands, one of her legs and her remaining foot in an effort to stay ahead of the infection. She has also had multiple skin grafts after tissue was removed from her abdomen.

"Aimee is very excited, like a kid going off to college," her father, Andy, said Monday, "but she also realizes that rehab will be arduous. But she says she will handle it."

Copeland was discharged Monday morning from Doctors Hospital in Augusta, Georgia, hospital spokesman Barclay Bishop said.

Previously on CNN.com: Georgia woman with flesh-eating infection dramatically improves

Andy Copeland told CNN's "Erin Burnett OutFront" last week his daughter is ready for new surroundings: "She's been seeing those four walls inside that hospital for a long time."

He said, "This next step is her opportunity to go (to) the next phase and learn something, be able to rehabilitate and basically relearn her life skills. She needs to be able to develop the autonomy to be able to transfer from her bed to a wheelchair to the shower to the bathroom or anywhere else in the house. And she can do it."

Front Lines: Copeland utters first words
    Aimee Copeland had gone outside the hospital in a wheelchair at least once, June 24, as her condition improved, her father said in his blog.

Copeland's ordeal began May 1 when she was riding a makeshift zip line across the Little Tallapoosa River, about 50 miles west of Atlanta. The line snapped, and she fell and received a gash in her left calf that took 22 staples to close.

Three days later, still in pain, she went to an emergency room. Doctors eventually determined she had necrotizing fasciitis caused by the bacteria Aeromonas hydrophila.

Since then, her father has blogged about her situation regularly. A Facebook page devoted to her fight has more than 78,000 "likes."

A number of bacteria that are common in the environment but rarely cause serious infections can lead to necrotizing fasciitis. When the bacteria get into the bloodstream, such as through a cut, doctors typically move aggressively to excise even healthy tissue near the infection site in hopes of ensuring none of the dangerous bacteria remain.

Advocate: Story of rare bacterial infection raising awareness

The infection attacks and destroys healthy tissue and is fatal about 20% of the time, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Dr. William Schaffner, chairman of the Department of Preventive Medicine at the Vanderbilt University Medical Center, estimates that fewer than 250 such cases occur each year in the United States, though estimates are imprecise since doctors do not have to report the cases to health authorities.

Copeland has remained positive throughout the ordeal that brought her to the brink of death, her sister told "OutFront."

"She's just amazing because she just knows that she's blessed and she is just so happy to be alive," Paige Copeland said. "Aimee, she cherishes life. She relishes life. Everyday is a gift and she always has had that outlook even before her accident."

South Carolina mom making progress against bacterial disease

CNN's Jennifer Bixler contributed to this report.

um. wow. I don't know what to say to this. Did she get it from being overweight, or am I a moron who can't read?
    Quote Originally Posted by involvelemons View Post
    Silent discos are like having sex with a virgin: really exciting in theory, extremely awkward in execution.
    Quote Originally Posted by BROKENDOLL View Post
    I bet Cara's gotten enough Twats on a Platter and Dick on a Stick to open her own Trolls to Go snack shop.

They say unusually tall and athletic women are particularly prone to it.

And now I have read the other articles. This is actually pretty freaky.
    Silent discos are like having sex with a virgin: really exciting in theory, extremely awkward in execution.
    I bet Cara's gotten enough Twats on a Platter and Dick on a Stick to open her own Trolls to Go snack shop.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    They say unusually tall and athletic women are particularly prone to it.
    Good thing I am not athletic anymore haha

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

so this may be a dumb question, but is this somehow related to diabetes? i saw them mention it in the first article. my former theatre director had diabetes. he didn't take care of it well and eventually died. at one point, he had a toe amputated and used to gross us all out by taking off the bandages. i wonder if that's the same thing or is something else? i was young and just remember it being related to diabetes.

either way, sounds like some scary shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

I think amputations resulting from complications of diabetes are something else entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    so this may be a dumb question, but is this somehow related to diabetes? i saw them mention it in the first article. my former theatre director had diabetes. he didn't take care of it well and eventually died. at one point, he had a toe amputated and used to gross us all out by taking off the bandages. i wonder if that's the same thing or is something else? i was young and just remember it being related to diabetes.

either way, sounds like some scary shit.
    He more than likely lost it due to poor circulation. Its not uncommon in Diabetics to have their lower limbs amputated. Diabetics have to be very careful. even when cutting their toenails. Any little cut can result in it not healing and gangrene setting in.
    You know, but that's valid because if we are all gonna die anyway shouldn't we be enjoying ourselves now? You know, I'd like to quit thinking of the present, like right now, as some minor insignificant preamble to something else.

---------------------------------------------------
    It's that tad bit of Crazy that keeps me Sane...

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

ok thanks. i knew it was a stupid question, but still wanted to ask
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

Gummi bear sultan miscorrections's Avatar

This shit is caused by strep pyogenes - which you can get in a minor infection (strep throat, impetigo), or if it spreads into the fascia you can end up with necrotizing fasciitis (what people refer to as a flesh-eating infection). So while it's not related to diabetes per se, a weakened immune system can definitely make it easier for the bacteria to invade and spread. Any sort of chronic illness makes necrotizing fasciitis more likely. The good news is it's susceptible to penicillin, with no resistance yet, so if it's caught early on and the person is pretty healthy it's treatable.

Ivy - what you're talking about, though, is a common side effect of diabetes. Diabetics who don't control their systems can often suffer from diabetic neuropathies, which can lead to foot ulcers, which then turn into foot infections and can require amputation. Peripheral artery disease is also fairly common and doesn't help.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Has anyone gone on a date with a sandwich recently? What base did you get to? Ham?

This is our extinction event
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

You're Welcome.

Not a stupid question at all. My pops had half if his foot amputated due to Diabetes, and it was just a toe stub that led to the amputation. Thank God its been like 10 years now and it was contained to half of his foot. I know Diabetics that it started with a Toe, then went to the foot to the entire leg. Not a pretty scene, and the smell is awful.
    You know, but that's valid because if we are all gonna die anyway shouldn't we be enjoying ourselves now? You know, I'd like to quit thinking of the present, like right now, as some minor insignificant preamble to something else.

I love the smell of gangrenous flesh in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    I'd contribute to this discussion but I'm still busy reminiscing about the halcyon days of punk. You know, the mid-90s.

Goes great with bacon and eggs Tom.

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    That is what I was thinking too.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    That is what I was thinking too.
    As long as it doesn't develop penicillin resistance it shouldn't be a huge problem. If it does...well, researchers are working on a vaccine but it's proving to be really difficult.
    Has anyone gone on a date with a sandwich recently? What base did you get to? Ham?

uh oh. I'M ALLERGIC TO PENICILLIN. bye bye world.

Well, as long as you're not immuno-compromised you're not terribly at risk. And it can be treated with macrolides and cephalosporins in people allergic to penicillin.

Whew.

I mean, strep pyogenes is REALLY prevalent. It's pretty much everywhere. Yet we're not all dying of necrotizing fasciitis - the news is, once again, blowing this shit out of proportion.

Are you faulting me for creating this thread, Corinna?

I fault everyone for pretty much everything, Tom.

Yes, because you are an intelligent person. I approve of your disapproval.

I just google image searched "flesh eating bacteria." DON'T DO THAT.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

A friend of mine had some variation of flesh eating bacteria that infected her foot a few years ago. Luckily it didn't spread, she didn't have to amputate, and when they got it under control her foot healed up pretty good. the pictures of when it was infected looked like something out of a fucking horror movie though.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
    I just google image searched "flesh eating bacteria." DON'T DO THAT.