Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beginning of the end?

Unhappy Beginning of the end?

First two weekends, now the S.S. Coachella, rumors of an event at the great park in Irvine.... Is Goldenvoice/Coachella "selling out"? Is this the beginning of the end?

Default Re: Beginning of the end?

oh dear...

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

i fail to see how adding more and more events is nearing the end. Doesn't this mean it's successful and doing well?
    last.fm
    6/15/14 Failure - Glasshouse // 7/9/14 Cloud Nothings/Metz - Roxy
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL
    9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

WHAT?! Coachella isn't underground anymore?! Fuck this.

Chicken Little

The Irvine great park even hasn't happened yet, and for all we know it may never.
    What's the saying, "don't count your chickens before they hatch?"
    Last edited by nyarlathotoats; 07-25-2012 at 11:45 AM. Reason: fucking derp
    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Smooches. =)

Irvine won't happen. And why didn't they count Stagecoach as an event?

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

i think we all know the answer to that.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ET MB 90266 View Post
    First two weekends, now the S.S. Coachella, rumors of an event at the great park in Irvine.... Is Goldenvoice/Coachella "selling out"? Is this the beginning of the end?
    this is called hipster logic
    July 29 - Boris
    August 1 - Black Label Society
    August 14 - Nine Inch Nails/Soundgarden/DEP
    August 27 - Röyksopp & Robyn
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 5 - Seth Troxler
    September 14 - Lily Allen
    September 16 - Earth
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 12 - Austin City Limits: Day 3
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Metal Festival
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 23 - Caribou

I tend to agree with the OP though maybe not in such cataclysmic terms

2 weekends + Guetta clones + instant sellout + this dumb boat thing are not really wonderful signs imo

Don't forget about the payment plans extra space and shuttles. Hell in a handbasket.

But seriously, I never realized that so much of the experience for people was knowing that they were at the only annual Coachella event.

Quote Originally Posted by PlayaDelWes View Post
    Don't forget about the payment plans extra space and shuttles. Hell in a handbasket.

But seriously, I never realized that so much of the experience for people was knowing that they were at the only annual Coachella event.
    I never got that logic either. Pretty selfish.

Fucking. Hipster. Scum.

Kill yourselves.
    '05, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14... '15!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sensuality View Post
    Sounds like a mashup of Benny Benassi, Spice Girls, and feces. I was really hoping for a Paris Hilton DJ set :/
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    Just wait. I bet at the Sigma Chi chapter meeting this Sunday the brothers unanimously vote to do Sahara Semiformal at Weekend 2 2015.

Part of me wants to laugh at this because Goldenvoice is owned by AEG Live which is one of the biggest concert promoters in the world. AEG Live is a huge corporation. So technically hasn't Goldenvoice been a "sell out" as long as AEG has owned them? They are a business just like Live Nation/Ticketmaster. They might choose to do their business differently but bottom line they are a business and they need to make money. But then the other part of me understands where you are coming from. Just in the past two years i have felt a change while at Coachella. The people attending seem different. But I don't think that has to do with Goldenvoice. The event has become more popular simply by word of mouth over the years. If the event wasn't still popular we wouldn't be able to attend a Coachella with such high production value. That's the joy of having a big company backing this event. You can't have it both ways.

Yes, it's sold out. Don't buy tickets. Don't go. More room for the rest of us.
    2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012b, 2013a, 2014a

Goldenvoice has corporate backing sure, but aeg leaves em the fuck alone when they thought about doing a hologram tupac. If it ain't broke, what's there to fix?

Quote Originally Posted by skavenbrew View Post
    Chicken Little
    well put
    Stevie Wonder, Jurassic 5!!, Magnetic Man, Pogo, Tycho, Tears for Fears 2013

Coach 06,07,08,09,10,11,12,13(1)
    Sasquatch 12
    Lolla 11(Chile)
    VOODOO 11
    Street Scene 07,08,09
    Rock the Bells 07

Quote Originally Posted by Trick Loves The Kids View Post
    I tend to agree with the OP though maybe not in such cataclysmic terms

2 weekends + Guetta clones + instant sellout + this dumb boat thing are not really wonderful signs imo
    This could all be remedied (for me) by a stellar 2013 lineup. I feel, despite the quick sellout, that GV really belly-flopped in this regard for the 2012 fest.
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    The middle class needs sick beats.

"I love having a total of 10 hours all year when I can buy Coachella tickets straight from GV" - a whole gang of anti-hipsters

I think certain people are just turned off when something they like becomes popular. They don't feel unique or exclusive anymore so they turn into a bunch of whiny fucking babies and complain about companies and artists selling out or going mainstream. If Coachella loses some appeal because of a fucking cruise that takes place elsewhere and an additional festival that takes place elsewhere, then that's a you problem.
    7/21 - !!! @ Club Congress (Tucson, AZ)
    8/23 - Galactic @ Rialto Theater (Tucson, AZ)
    8/25 - Future Islands @ 191 Toole (Tucson, AZ)
    10/11 - Carolina Chocolate Drops @ Rialto Theater (Tucson, AZ)
    11/10 - The Black Keys @ US Airways Center (Phoenix, AZ)
    4/10/15 - 4/12/15 - Coachella

there's absolutely no connection to be made between the instant sellouts, the Sahara Tent Featuring David Guetta And Friends, and the new cruise

none

whatsoever

I know I won't be able to enjoy something if I know someone else is going to enjoy the same thing a week later. Or on a boat.
    Give me a break.

Quote Originally Posted by GuyInTucson View Post
    I think certain people are just turned off when something they like becomes popular. They don't feel unique or exclusive anymore so they turn into a bunch of whiny fucking babies and complain about companies and artists selling out or going mainstream. If Coachella loses some appeal because of a fucking cruise that takes place elsewhere and an additional festival that takes place elsewhere, then that's a you problem.
    This!

SmellyBath

Word

http://www.forbes.com/sites/zackomal...st-paid-djs/2/

“The Coachella music festival served as microcosm in the evolution of electronic dance music from a niche into a mainstream format,” says AEG chief Randy Phillips. “EDM translates more successfully as a consumer experience in the open field festival environment or in a general admission [or] flat floor venue than it does in large arenas with fixed seats. Efforts to tour EDM stars in arenas across North America have proven to yield uneven results outside of a handful of major markets.”
    If "becomes popular" means "the bosses are making a deliberate attempt to cash in on pop-EDM" then yes, I am a whiny baby

thestripe

Is it acceptable to question the festivals worth when changes dramatically impact the event or experience? You act like Coachella should be loved by all, GuyinTucson. I can't blame those who don't like the expansion and overall changes of the festival. It is a very different thing compared to just four years ago. For some, the changes are enough to consider not attending. For others, the current popularity has made it difficult to obtain passes to go. You complaining about the disinterest is comical. Coachella will gain plenty enough interest to replace those old timers who are now turned off. Out with the 30+ year olds and the acts geared toward that demographic. In with the overly intoxicated 18 year olds attending for the top 40 Sahara line-up, and the bullshit spillover acts that take up chunks of set times throughout the rest of the stages. Even exchange.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

But how does them operating a cruise with bands playing on it have anything to do with any of that?
    last.fm
    6/15/14 Failure - Glasshouse // 7/9/14 Cloud Nothings/Metz - Roxy
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL
    9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

thestripe

The point is it's not the Coachella brand cruise that is turning people off. Marketing the cruise as Coachella at sea is lame, but not the worst thing in the world. It is all the changes and expansions to the actual real festival that is contributing to the complaining. And that isn't necessarily a bad thing. The changes will bring in a new audience, while losing some others. That's a natural thing. But calling the leaving fan base "whiney babies" is just stupid. Many of those dissatisfied with Coachella have a long history and emotional investment with the festival and have a hard time dealing with the current changes.

Coachella Junkie malcolmjamalawesome's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thestripe View Post
    The point is it's not the Coachella brand cruise that is turning people off. Marketing the cruise as Coachella at sea is lame, but not the worst thing in the world. It is all the changes and expansions to the actual real festival that is contributing to the complaining. And that isn't necessarily a bad thing. The changes will bring in a new audience, while losing some others. That's a natural thing. But calling the leaving fan base "whiney babies" is just stupid. Many of those dissatisfied with Coachella have a long history and emotional investment with the festival and have a hard time dealing with the current changes.
    What is it that's turning people off?
    Quote Originally Posted by ruetheday View Post
    I don't fucking care. I don't even know who the hell Dave Wang is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

that more people know about it, that's it is not some special little secret club that we are all a part of? that seems to be the main complaint. lineups to me are still stellar, location is stellar, only real change i notice is more people, but it doesn't affect my experience one bit because i choose to not let it.