Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: T O O L 2 0 1 3

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

Default Re: T O O L 2 0 1 3

oh yeah, i remember. it was my birfday.

that's not going to be the norm going forward, and given the choice between tool in an arena and tool at coachella, coachella wins erry time.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

Massive Attack was an amazing opener. I didn't personally hear anyone boo them but it's hardly surprising. Every year I encounter drunk, high, inconsiderate douchebags at the festival. It just happens that in 2006 a number of them were yelling TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL! I doubt any of the members of Massive Attack lost any sleep over it. They're a UK band, and it was probably a nice change of pace not having the hecklers throw urine at them.

Quote Originally Posted by heart cooks brain View Post
    what is 'TOOL's element'? dumpy arenas in toledo? where would you want to hear Aenima other than the shores of Arizona Bay?
    More so not being apart of a lineup for a festival. Scheduling can be a nightmare at festivals IMO for some bands such as Tool.

in what way?
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....

Less time for sets, not enough transition time between equipment changes for bands, sometimes tech problems with visuals/soundcheck. Having seen some of the main headliners and smaller bands at smaller venues and Coachella, there are definitely some performances that felt a little more disorganized at the festival.

I mean, Gorillaz for fuck's sake was a nightmare, then I saw them later that year at the Gibson with all of the guests who were supposed to perform with them at Coachella, it was a show you just didn't want to end in addition to it not getting cut off on a somber note.

Quote Originally Posted by Mugwog View Post
    Less time for sets, not enough transition time between equipment changes for bands, sometimes tech problems with visuals/soundcheck. Having seen some of the main headliners and smaller bands at smaller venues and Coachella, there are definitely some performances that felt a little more disorganized at the festival.

I mean, Gorillaz for fuck's sake was a nightmare, then I saw them later that year at the Gibson with all of the guests who were supposed to perform with them at Coachella, it was a show you just didn't want to end in addition to it not getting cut off on a somber note.
    I thought this was a widely understood law of music festivals.

solo performance > festival performance

Always.

Quote Originally Posted by theresalwaysone View Post

Always.
    False.

You could easily argue that Tool @ Bonnaroo > any Tool show since '01. Late night at Bonnaroo, Sahara Tent before it went to shit, sunset sets etc. Festivals have plenty going for them that can outweigh an individual show.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Dylanja View Post
    False.

You could easily argue that Tool @ Bonnaroo > any Tool show since '01. Late night at Bonnaroo, Sahara Tent before it went to shit, sunset sets etc. Festivals have plenty going for them that can outweigh an individual show.

"You could easily argue that Tool @ Bonnaroo > any Tool show since '01"

Give me 5 reasons why it's better than any Tool show since 01.

What if he's only got 4 reasons, but they're really good reasons.

I can honestly think of at least two dozen examples of bands I've seen in both settings, whose festival performances were superior to their solo venue shows.
    Last edited by bobert; 08-02-2012 at 06:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mugwog View Post
    Apples to oranges, and we'll always be left to wonder how the Gorillaz would have done if it wasn't for the fucking volcano.
    Arctic Monkeys - 10.25.14 - Comerica Theater
    Coachella - 4.10.15 - 4.12.15 - Empire Polo Grounds

Let me preface by saying it wasn't my personal favorite, but I could make a legitimate case for it.

1. Longest setlist since '01.
    2. Most talkative I've ever seen Maynard, he was fucking with the crowd between every song.
    3. Tom Morello coming out and delivering what I'm sure most consider the most talked about live version of Lateralus. He answered a god damn phone during his solo.
    4. Frying your face off, turning around and seeing the lasers go further than yours eyes could see.
    5. The Roots opened.
    6. After the show you could mosey on over and watch John Paul Jones play Zepplin tunes with ?uestlove on the drum kit. And if that's not your thing, The Black Keys and The Flaming Lips were also playing.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    I just hate that Tool constantly has some of the best openers and they always get booed
    thats because a very large number of Tool fans are dbags that dont care about anything that isnt TOOL. i say let Tool headline again as their fans tend to be the obsessive "i'm going to camp at this stage wearing my black T-shirt, shorts and doc martins from 12 noon until TOOL plays 10 hours later" types, thus leaving the field more open for... bros...

*sigh*

yea i dont even know anymore

old school

Always.
    While that may be generally/mostly true there's plenty of exceptions. Some acts really step up their game if it's pivitol appearance/media exposure, they have guests, have unique production or certain setlist variation.

For me it's much more of a case by case basis and where they are on the festival schedule. Yet another reason to hate GV policy of releasing it a couple dozen hours before the festival begins.

I could also name a handful of acts where I actually prefer SHORTER sets(Bob Dylan...)

sounds unreal!!! I am trying to picture it all......... DAMN!!!

This bodes well. Am I being greedy asking for Sabbath and Deftones to be there too?
    COACHELLA- 99, 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12 (wk 1 & 2), 13 (wk 1 &2), 14 (wk 1 & 2)

old school

having seen all three, i'd rather have Tool on the polo..i feel they did good not having Sabbath this past year.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    Daft Punk will unveil its third member, Crush.

Considering APC/Puscifer is playing Lolla Chile on 4-6/7 it's safe to say the Tool will be closer to home. And if Tool does play, I predict May May doing an unprecedented triple-dip.

Also, Deftones would be sick late night in a tent, or opening for Tool.

Quote Originally Posted by nbvcide View Post
    having seen all three, i'd rather have Tool on the polo..i feel they did good not having Sabbath this past year.
    Completely agree, just being a little greedy.
    COACHELLA- 99, 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12 (wk 1 & 2), 13 (wk 1 &2), 14 (wk 1 & 2)

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

I wanna go to Japan.
    August 1 - Black Label Society
    August 14 - Nine Inch Nails/Soundgarden/DEP
    August 27 - Röyksopp & Robyn
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 5 - Seth Troxler
    September 14 - Lily Allen
    September 16 - Earth
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 12 - Austin City Limits: Day 3
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Metal Festival
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 23 - Caribou

Quote Originally Posted by nbvcide View Post
    ..i feel they did good not having Sabbath this past year.
    They need to continue doing good. There are far too many other good options to consider wasting a headliner slot on Ozzy bumbling and muttering his way across the stage.

Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar

Considering APC/Puscifer is playing Lolla Chile on 4-6/7 it's safe to say the Tool will be closer to home. And if Tool does play, I predict May May doing an unprecedented triple-dip.
    It took me like three tries to figure out what this sentence meant.

That being said, if APC and Tool both played I'd be handing out blowjobs like handshakes.
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

I like how they put Tool and Deftones on different days, fuckers.

Quote Originally Posted by mrhand View Post
    They need to continue doing good. There are far too many other good options to consider wasting a headliner slot on Ozzy bumbling and muttering his way across the stage.
    ozzy didn't bumble or mutter his way around stage in august.

he was quite alert and coherent.

Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    I wanna go to Japan.
    Look at an ozzfest lineup from 2008. Other than tool, this is pretty horrible.
    "How long will this last, this delicious feeling of being alive, of having penetrated the veil which hides beauty and the wonders of celestial vistas? It doesn't matter, as there can be nothing but gratitude for even a glimpse of what exists for those who can become open to it."

I remember back in '06 after Tool's performance, they posted a blog entry on their site entitled "CoacHELLa" where BMB basically talked about how much of miserable experience the whole thing was. This leads me to believe that they wouldn't really want to play again, but I will always hold out hope for a return.
    The Replacements - OutKast - The Knife - HAIM - Bonobo - Afghan Whigs - The Glitch Mob - The Cult - Shlohmo - Waxahatchee - Wye Oak

Queens of the Stone Age - Pharrell Williams - Pet Shop Boys - Empire of the Sun - Fatboy Slim - Nas - Kid Cudi - Warpaint - Mogwai - Foxygen - The Dismemberment Plan - Blood Orange

Arcade Fire - Beck - Neutral Milk Hotel - Disclosure - Motorhead - Duck Sauce - Little Dragon - Toy Dolls - Fishbone - Superchunk - Daughter - Surfer Blood

old school

i saw Tool at a KROQ-fest a couple of years ago playing with Linkin Park at the Pomona fairgrounds....i don't think they will avoid chella.

Also, Deftones would be sick late night in a tent, or opening for Tool.
    while i agree that the festival dates make Tool seem possible (and for the same reasons i suspect Danzig Legacy will play), Lolla is much more the kind of festival for Deftones, and they even put them on the 3rd stage from 5-6pm, and before Beats Antique. I don't see GV giving them a Subheadliner slot, or even main stage. Closing Mojave, or late afternoon Outdoor maybe.. but yeah, i think Maynard is going to pull triple duty.
    Last edited by nbvcide; 11-27-2012 at 06:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by roboticwaltz View Post
    I remember back in '06 after Tool's performance, they posted a blog entry on their site entitled "CoacHELLa" where BMB basically talked about how much of miserable experience the whole thing was. This leads me to believe that they wouldn't really want to play again, but I will always hold out hope for a return.
    Go read it again. April 2006 newsletter. The fact that BMB had some hassle with a few security guards has zero bearing on how the actual band enjoyed Coachella 2006, and even less influence on whether they would play again.

You're making a mountain out of nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by mrhand View Post
    The fact that BMB had some hassle with a few security guards has zero bearing on how the actual band enjoyed Coachella 2006, and even less influence on whether they would play again.
    2013 CONFIRMED

old school

and i doubt GV is using the same security company now that they used in '06 anyway..i know they went through a couple of campground security companies the last few years.