Page 67 of 77 FirstFirst ... 6263646566676869707172 ... LastLast
Results 1,981 to 2,010 of 2289

Thread: A young'uns guide to purusing extensive artist discographies

Default Re: A young'uns guide to purusing extensive artist discographies

Quote Originally Posted by softbulletin View Post
    If you like Harvest, get the Live At Massey 1971 show, it's one of my favorite releases ever. A bunch of Harvest songs before they were released, except all the cheesy parts that keep it from being a perfect album are taken out.
    I'm curious to know what cheese you are talking about? If you say anything about "A Man Needs A Maid" your opinion is void.
    RAPE STOVE

white power?!

The excessive instrumentation on "There's a World" comes to mind. But yes, he's probably talking about that too, since they're both with the same orchestra.
    10/22 - TV on the Radio - Fonda
    10/24 - Warhol - Royce Hall
    10/28 - Ben Frost/Tim Hecker - Los Globos
    11/05 - Pissed Jeans - Los Globos (?)
    11/08 - Seu Jorge - Luckman (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    While we're working on the writeups, as soon as you can check out On the Beach, Tonight's the Night, After the Gold Rush, and Everybody Knows This is Nowhere.
    Chris, cmon. You can't make these recommendations and skip Rust Never Sleeps.

If you hear those five, you'll know pretty quickly whether you're interested in diving in and plumbing the depths of his career. A majority of the songs on those albums weren't hits but are of uniformly high quality, so if you enjoy the album cuts you're a Neil fan.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Quote Originally Posted by kreutz2112 View Post
    I'm curious to know what cheese you are talking about? If you say anything about "A Man Needs A Maid" your opinion is void.
    Well, on that and "There's a World," there's just too much going on. It gets cluttered and disengages me every time. I can't get into it.

While we're working on the writeups, as soon as you can check out On the Beach, Tonight's the Night, After the Gold Rush, and Everybody Knows This is Nowhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Chris, cmon. You can't make these recommendations and skip Rust Never Sleeps.

If you hear those five, you'll know pretty quickly whether you're interested in diving in and plumbing the depths of his career. A majority of the songs on those albums weren't hits but are of uniformly high quality, so if you enjoy the album cuts you're a Neil fan.
    Nice, I will definitely check them out.

Sounds like a plan. There's a few I haven't heard of his on purpose (read: Everybody's Rockin'), but I'm extremely familiar with the majority of it.
    The Neil Young list I have currently is 38 albums, 39 if I include Decade. I've reviewed 11 and am intimately familiar with about 7 more.
    just out of curiosity, do ya'll want to break it up in decades? (for example, bmack takes 70's, tallguy 80's, myself 90's, split it three ways for the 00's. doesn't necessarily have to be split up that way, but you catch my drift.) i'm up for either way, if you guys feel it would be better if we just did the whole discography each.
    Last edited by buddy; 05-04-2011 at 07:17 PM.

If you wanted to do that and I took the 70s I have that all reviewed already. I've also already reviewed the 60s Buffalo Springfield albums, the two 60s Neil albums, the 70s CSNY and Stills-Young and a good amount of the 90s Neil work.

Ugh. You guys should probably just do it then. His 70s work is what I'm mainly familiar with.

I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Chris. Two months. The reviews don't have to be fantastic, they just have to be your opinion on one listen. That's what I did with some of the Bowie albums. I'd love to hear someone else's opinion on these albums I love so much.

You guys should alternate albums. It's shitty giving someone a whole decade of past their prime material, no matter how good it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

If no one has any objections, I'd like to do a writeup for The Coup.
    We're here to play some Mississippi Delta Blues. We're in a horrible depression, and I gotta admit - we're starting to like it.

Quote Originally Posted by zircona1 View Post
    No one is going to object. Just do it. If you put work into it and someone doesn't like it, they can get bent.
    Women just obviously can't write creative music. They're all ripping off the Beatles, who were men. Duh.

Quote Originally Posted by Newro7ic View Post
    No one is going to object. Just do it. If you put work into it and someone doesn't like it, they can get bent.
    And with that, I'm gonna do Erykah Badu. Even though she only has 6 albums, they are all fucking amazing. She deserves to be in here, I would say.

Quote Originally Posted by zircona1 View Post
    Do it! What a coincidence, I was listening to Party Music last night and wanted to listen to more of their stuff but they've got a big discography. I was jokingly thinking somebody should write them up in this thread but wrote them off as not being big enough.

Quote Originally Posted by ods.. View Post
    And with that, I'm gonna do Erykah Badu. Even though she only has 6 albums, they are all fucking amazing. She deserves to be in here, I would say.
    I'm all for this, love what I know about her but don't know nearly enough about her entire discography.

I can do Outkast, my favorite group and favorite CD (Aquemini) in one package. I'd have to revisit Idlewild and Speakerboxxx/The Love Below a bit before writing it though.

Ugh. You guys should probably just do it then. His 70s work is what I'm mainly familiar with.
    It was just an idea, but yeah it's probably best we all do his whole discography. Since, that's what most fans are passoniate about, including ourselves, I imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by travelfan View Post
    I can do Outkast, my favorite group and favorite CD (Aquemini) in one package. I'd have to revisit Idlewild and Speakerboxxx/The Love Below a bit before writing it though.
    Do it! But I'm warning you if I don't like what I see regarding Southernplayalisticadllicamusik, I will be disappointed. Lol, just playing, I'm sure you dig that cd.

The Coup are a political hip-hop/rap group from Oakland. Its members are Boots Riley and Pam the Funkstress. There was a third member, E-Roc, but he left the group amicably after the second album. They sing about capitalism, foreign policy, police brutality, and social inequalities, among other things. Their songs are angry, cynical, explicit and often darkly funny. Conservative columnist Michelle Malkin has called their music a “stomach-turning example of anti-Americanism disguised as highbrow intellectual expression”. What better endorsement do you need?

Kill My Landlord (1993): Their debut album pretty much shows you what they’re all about. Not that great except for a few songs (Funk, Not Free Yet), they’d refine their voice and improve more on later records. C

Genocide and Juice (1994): An improvement over the first album, this one shows their sense of humor coming alive on tracks like “Pimps” (where rich people at a party trade rap verses) and the hook on “Repo Man”. It also starts to become clear that Boots Riley is the better writer/rapper than E-Roc. B

Steal This Album (1998): Reissued as Steal This Double Album in 2002, this one is their masterpiece. Having the mic all to himself now, Boots comes into his own as a storyteller on fantastic tracks like “Me and Jesus the Pimp in a ’79 Granada Last Night” and “Nowalaters”. It’s also quite funny, “Cars and Shoes” is about poor-condition cars (“Put your knee right there/I’m trying to keep the glove compartment closed, playa”) and “Sneakin’ In” is just what the title says (“See me in the alley, no I ain’t a crack ho/I’m waiting for my partners to open up the back door”). “Piss On Your Grave” is one of my favorite songs ever, with Boots railing against the people in charge (“I’ll make you pay for your sins in the trunk of your Benz”) while Pam keeps the funk flowing. There’s not a dud on here. A+

Party Music (2001): The targets are the same, but the songs are different. The opening track “Everythang” could possibly be the quintessential Coup song (“Every death is an abrupt one/Every cop is a corrupt one”) with Boots boasting “when we come we takin’ everythang.” Amongst all the anger and dark humor, there are some moments of sentimental sweetness in “Wear Clean Draws” and “Heven Tonite.” A-

The album didn’t sell that well, mostly because it was delayed due to cover art that had to be changed due to the 9/11 attacks:

Pick A Bigger Weapon (2006): Their most recent album, and the one that got me interested in them. Not much change in terms of sound and subject matter, and that’s a good thing. “Head (Of State)” is a biting indictment of the U.S.’s relationship with Saddam Hussein, while “I Love Boosters!” is a hilarious love letter to shoplifters. There are a few slow jams on here that, for the most part, keep the album from being perfect, but otherwise, this one’s pretty solid as well. Get this one and the previous two to start if you’re new to The Coup. A-
    Last edited by zircona1; 05-05-2011 at 06:44 PM.
    We're here to play some Mississippi Delta Blues. We're in a horrible depression, and I gotta admit - we're starting to like it.

Quote Originally Posted by buddy View Post
    It was just an idea, but yeah it's probably best we all do his whole discography. Since, that's what most fans are passoniate about, including ourselves, I imagine.
    Agreed. And plus, doing the whole thing will give all three of us the chance to listen to his entire discography. I'm afraid if we split it up, we wouldn't end up listening to a whole lot aside from the decade we're each covering.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

nice job zircona! never really heard any Coup stuff, so I'm excited to check out Steal This Album.

The Erykah Badu writeup is in progress, should be done by the end of the weekend, but I do have a ton of homework to do, so I ain't making any promises.

Wheels Of Cheese

Jim O'Rourke, 38% completed.
    Yea I think a lot of men think they are bad ass, but a 12 year old with a AK can take me out I know ...... cr****

Wheels Of Cheese

Long fucking way to go.
    Yea I think a lot of men think they are bad ass, but a 12 year old with a AK can take me out I know ...... cr****

Baduizm - 1996

Badu bursts on the scene!!! The thing with Baduizm...it is a full piece of work. It’s an amazing album to put on and simply immerse yourself in. I definitely recommend it, but perhaps not for a first time listener to Erykah. Unless you really love soul/neo-soul already, or enjoy jazz-influenced R&B, I would recommend picking up one of her later albums first. By all means however, start at the beginning of an artist’s career. That’s always the most satisfying. P.S. Did I mention a few of the tracks were produced by the Roots?

Song Highlights:
    On and On
    Apple Tree
    Afro (Freestyle Skit) {once again, her attitude! and her incredible voice}
    Sometimes
    Certainly (Flipped It)

Grade: B++++ (relative to her later work)

Live – 1997

Ok. Stop reading. Go buy this album. Live is one of the best live albums I’ve ever listened to. The band sounds incredible, the backup singers, and of course the one and only Badu. They open with a cover of So What by Miles Davis and the unmistakable bass-line.Then you’re along for the ride with Miss Badu, and she puts on a great show, absolutely pitch perfect and her voice seems even more powerful live. Some of the best tracks from Baduizm are performed, and all given even more energy and soul than the studio albums.

The importance of this album to understanding who Erykah Badu is as an artist is paramount. You can tell she is a strong black woman. Seriously. She has this attitude, and the way she freestyles her vocals, talks to the crowd... so inspiring. Definitely check it out. I hesitate to say first, only because it’s nice to hear how songs sound in studio version before you listen live (in my experience).

No. Fuck that. Listen to this first. Seriously. There will be time later to listen to studio versions and see the subtle differences.

Oh and btw… she recorded this entire show while pregnant. YEAH.

Song Highlights:
    Other Side of the Game
    On and On
    Apple Tree {unfuckingbelievable}
    Ye Yo

….. ok so I’ve so far listed every song in order, so I guess I am a little to attached to these tracks. They are all fucking great. Especially Tyrone, which is particularly awesome. included in the album is an extended, studio version of Tyrone, which for whatever reason didn’t make the album Baduizm.

Grade: A+

You Got Me – The Roots (Featuring Erykah Badu) – 1999 [Things Fall Apart]

I feel the need to include this in the writeup because it is one of her best songs, and it earned Erykah her first Grammy for Best Rap Performance by a Duo or Group. If you haven’t seen Dave Chappelle’s Block Party, I highly recommend it. Great concert film, and the most incredible version of this song is in it.

Grade - A

Mama’s Gun – 2000

After a few year hiatus following the birth of her first child, Miss Badu returns to the studio with arguably her best work and most expansive work yet. Instead of limiting herself to stripped down nu-soul and R&B, Badu goes straight funky! Especially with the opening track Penitentiary Philosophy, which sounds like it could have been recorded live with a backing band. Badu cats and calls her way through the track.

However, it is the next song, Didn’t Cha Know, that is the standout of the album. When she performed this live at Coachella, she prefaced, saying that it “was her favorite song to sing live, and she didn’t know why, except it feels so good.” The beats, chords, and song structures on this album have a different production quality that I can’t seem to pin down.

Another shining moment emerges in …& On, one of my favorite Badu songs of all time. She reprises the On and On track, but changes the lyrics to a spitting and flowing journey, interspersed with scats. Erykah KILLS this track, and she played it live. Made me so happy… “That’s all I have/ Ain’t got no more/ That’s all I have/ Ain’t got no more”. Listen to this album. And listen to her lyrics. Mama’s Gun is an amazing record.

Song Highlights:
    Didn’t Cha Know
    …& On
    Cleva
    Booty
    Kiss Me On My Neck (Hesi)
    Bag Lady
    Green Eyes

Grade: A

Worldwide Underground – 2003

Although this album wasn’t as critically acclaimed as her first two, I think it is just as strong, because it's here Badu hints at the extent of her sound. Badu went through a tough stint of writer’s block in the years before the release of this album, where she embarked on her self-proclaimed “Frustrated Artist Tour”. It’s not a surprise then most of these songs have the feel of a live band and even in some of the songs there are samples of audiences clapping, Badu commanding the band etc. This was the first album I ever heard by Badu, and although it isn’t my favorite, I think it is still one of her most underrated. It’s really here that we can see beginnings of the great soulful hip-hop that Erykah will release in a few years.

P.S. I recommend finding the UK bonus tracks for this album, because they are two of her best cuts. The first is an alternate/single verson of Love of My Life (An Ode to Hip Hop), which blows the original out of the water (sorry Queen Latifah). This version was recorded with Erykah’s then lover/boyfriend Common. And also Hollywood, which is a catchy soulful track that sounds like it could have found its place on Mama’s Gun instead of Worldwide.

Song Highlights:
    Bump It
    Back in the Day (Puff)
    I Want You
    Woo
    Danger
    Love of My Life (An Ode to Hip Hop)

Grade: B+

New Amerykah Part One (4th World War) – 2008

What in the Erykah??? Where have you been girl! Apparently you’ve been collecting SICK ass beats from the likes of Madlib and 9th Wonder… This album rules. So much soul, so much funk, and just a groovy eclecticism that ties the entire album together. To me, New Amerykah is the ONLY logical culmination of all the music and culture present in Badu’s work. After 5 years of raising her children and shying away from the studio, Erykah returns, brilliant as ever and with a whole new sound.

To me, New Amerykah Pt. 1 is some of her best and most interesting work. Most of the tracks lean towards a hip-hop sound reminiscent of Badu’s friend Flying Lotus. Diverse use of sampling that yields surprising results. Badu has said that her young son taught her how to use Garage Band while at home and she began recording her voice on her laptop. Personally, my favorite Badu album, with my favorite all-time tracks.

Song Highlights: (They are all fucking great. I might as well right the tracklisting)
    The Healer
    Me
    Soldier
    The Cell
    Master Teacher (2nd Half is so awesome and groovy)
    Telephone

Grade: A+

Live – 2009 (Bootleg)

I won’t include a full writeup of this album because I can’t find much information on it. I’m assuming it’s a bootleg from 2009. It’s also fucking great. Sound quality is perfect (I’d say soundboard) and it includes live versions of some of her best tracks. (EPIC version of Didn't Cha Know). If you can find it, I recommend it.

New Amerykah Part 2 (Return of the Ankh) - 2010

Ah…. just listening to the opening of this album I’m transported back to the opening of her set on the Main Stage. Erykah begins Part 2 with “20 Feet Tall”, a slow jazzy tune with a surreal atmosphere and lyrics. If you haven’t figured out yet, Badu may be a bit of a narcissist. At least, these (and many of her other) lyrics suggest it.

However, the next track Window Seat shows Erykah’s insecurities once again, commenting on her need for her demanding/controlling lover. The song is absolutely brilliant, and one of the best she’s ever created. The video also sparked a ton of controversy: Here.

Alright… if you’ve read this far into my little writeup, you must have at least listened to a few tracks along the way. What I can tell you is that Erykah always writes extremely catchy songs, and she has throughout her entire career. This album is just an extension of that artistry, and I love it as much as the other albums, but it has yet to impact my life (like the others). But that is a reflection of the time I’ve been exposed to it. I can tell you I LOVE the tunes on here. They are some of her catchiest. She sounds like her inner Funkadelic really came out in these last two albums, and it’s awesome.

Song highlights: {They are all good….}
    Window Seat
    Umm Hmm
    Love
    Fall In Love (Your Funeral) {One of my favs right here}
    Out My Mind, Just In Time

P.S. I know it's long as fuck. Just look at the grades/song highlights if you don't want to read.

Thanks for the write-up on Ms Badu. I have to admit, the hiatus between 2000-2003 lost me and i never even picked up the last 3 albums. Gonna have to do that now. I remember loving LIVE, her debut and Mama's Gun.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Which healthcare provider will euthanize you the fastest as a service to society?
    10/21 Superhumanoids - 10/23 IAMX@Glass House - 10/24 Placebo@Club Nokia - 10/25 Beach Goth@Observatory - 10/26 IAMX@Complex - 10/27 Tycho/Com Truise@Glass House - 10/28 Bear Hands@Roxy - 10/31 Yelle@Fonda - 11/3 Galantis/Booka Shade@Mayan - 11/8 Digitalism@El Rey - 11/14 DFA1979@Regent - 11/15 The Presets@Regent

Thanks dude! Let me know how you like them

Chris. Two months. The reviews don't have to be fantastic, they just have to be your opinion on one listen. That's what I did with some of the Bowie albums. I'd love to hear someone else's opinion on these albums I love so much.
    So, how's this going for you guys? I found the 80s to be really interesting and not all bad like I'd expected, and the 90s have been great.

I really need to bear down and do this, I keep forgetting about it.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

yeah i'm going to get started on this soon. i've been behind with schooling, and whatnot.

this reminded me to try to give shakey, his autobiography a try, since i have time now, but i ended up going with this book. it might not provide as much insight, but it just looks like something i should have.