Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Dark Knight movie theater shooting in Denver

Default Re: Dark Knight movie theater shooting in Denver

I guess I have faith in the possibility of action actually happening at some level. Maybe it's misguided, but I would hope that, eventually, there could be a real dialogue between the both sides, where both acknowledge that guns are not going to go away in the near future, but that we should have some sensible, strict regulations like we do with so many other consumer goods.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    No, but things like this should (and never do) lead to a more level-headed and logical discussion of gun control laws. I can think of no conceivable purpose why any private individual would ever need an AR-15, be it for personal protection or hunting. That weapon is not designed for small-scale individual protection, and it'd leave your potential dinner riddled with holes and lead. It is a killing machine, and it should not be privately held. Never mind the paranoia that goes into the thought that someone would have to keep a gun in their house "for protection."
    I agree with the fact that combat rifles are not a necessity. However, I own three shotguns for hunting as well as personal protection. Last month while My three week old daughter and I were sleeping an intruder broke into my house. While I didnt have.to shoot the asshole, it was enough to scare him into falling down the stairs and breaking.a leg. I held him at gun point until the cops arrived. The guy was carrying aknife the size of.my leg. I s would hate to think of the out come if I didn't have my gun.

This tragedy isnt an arguement for gun control, it's an argument dor birth control.
    Quote Originally Posted by Young blood View Post
    Stop being a pussy should be the answer to all of life's problems. It has worked for me so far.

Quote Originally Posted by RedHotSgtPeppers View Post
    Just because the government takes away something dangerous does not mean that it's going to stop, it just makes it more difficult for law-abiding citizens to acquire it; just because there are some crazy people out there who kill people with guns does not mean that guns should be taken away from everyone.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheres the beef? View Post
    This is a mental health problem, not a gun control problem.
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by citizenerased View Post
    At least ban civilians from owning damn assault rifles. Absolutely no reason we need them.
    Problem is - the average citizen doesn't care, the person who wants the assault rifle will find one, legit or black market. I know a few folks who have AK47s.

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Having and using the guns seems a bit easier and more effective than making and bringing pipe bombs to the theatre.
    This is the age of the internet, folks have many resources now, hello...Hector T Salamanca?! DING DING DING DING DING DING!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Not absurd. A shooting cannot happen without guns. A pipe bomb attack is a different thing. Similar result? Maybe. But it's not this instance. Acknowledged, there are other ways to kill people, but that's not what happened here.

And why can't it be both a mental health problem and a gun control problem? Isn't it a problem that people with serious mental health issues can get ahold of an automatic firearm? While we don't know how he got the gun, it's safe to say that, if this is a mental health issue (likely) that he should not have had the gun in the first place.
    Problem is how do we determine these crazies before they apply for these positions? How do we as a country allow people to own guns and properly screen them? A background check isn't enough. I'm a felon, but I know for a fact I am probably far more responsible with a gun than most folks who can have one. There is no background check for crazy, hell, if I wasn't so honest at the last shooting range I went to, I could've had a hand gun in my hands within 20 minutes of walking in the door. He even checked my ID. So there is definitely a flaw in the system, these are deadly tools, and fortunately for most of us, we have grown up in regions where we don't see the critical need of these tools saving our lives/hunting for food. I'm sure if we all lived in the shacks of Rio de Janiero with local gangs harassing our family/friends on a constant basis, we would have different perspectives on the need for a weapon for protection.

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    If a crazy person wants a gun and there are more strict gun laws, it will take him longer to get a gun, if at all.
    Yep...there definitely needs to be some changes in the system, I feel like the internet hasn't helped either, there have been more shootings every year since Columbine. Its really sad; one person deciding they aren't strong enough to make it through life so they lash out on people they don't know to punish them for whatever reason.

Why I say the Internet hasn't helped, is mainly due to the exposure, most of these gunners are males under 25. Who knows what delusional ideas of grandeur develop in the heads of these nutjobs, but the internet makes them known. The Columbine shootings were a huge thing we analyzed in school, scape goats were first brought up (Doom, goth culture, Marilyn Manson) it took a few weeks to clarify that these kids were just crazy outcast, not some Satanic Manson worshipping occultist. Ever since Columbine, the frequency of shootings increased to almost one per year at a campus or other place of young people gathering.

People hug your fucking children so they don't go crazy.

Also. Typing on my tiny phone sucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Young blood View Post
    Stop being a pussy should be the answer to all of life's problems. It has worked for me so far.

Quote Originally Posted by disgustipated View Post
    I agree with the fact that combat rifles are not a necessity. However, I own three shotguns for hunting as well as personal protection. Last month while My three week old daughter and I were sleeping an intruder broke into my house. While I didnt have.to shoot the asshole, it was enough to scare him into falling down the stairs and breaking.a leg. I held him at gun point until the cops arrived. The guy was carrying aknife the size of.my leg. I s would hate to think of the out come if I didn't have my gun.

This tragedy isnt an arguement for gun control, it's an argument dor birth control.
    Jesus. Good thing you and your family are OK.

With how the economy is going, there is definitely a lot more home invasion, its coming to the suburbs from the cities too, I've heard some terrible 911 calls back in the day where you can hear on the phone someone being murdered. Fuck that. Cops are always too late in most of these situations. LA is a place with crazies left and right, so I can see why some would prefer to have their own weapon on them. The problem is only when people with malicious intent get ahold of these weapons, and there is no simple application that can determine you are a psychopath. "Check 1 for psychotic tendencies, check 2 for being completely normal; if you checked 1, you will not be allowed to get a gun" Not gonna work.

Bigger phones and bigger guns!!

My crazy right wing father is blaming hollywood and videogames.

Why not Marilyn Manson?

He hasnt been told to blame him yet. In due time.

I used to agree with an assault weapon ban but if they're going to end up in the wrong hands anyway, how is an average citizen going to defend himself with a mere handgun or even a rifle, against possibly an AK-47?

Gun awareness/education, drug awareness/education, social etiquette and grammar. Things that should be taught in our public schools.

Quote Originally Posted by xuclarockerx View Post
    I used to agree with an assault weapon ban but if they're going to end up in the wrong hands anyway, how is an average citizen going to defend himself with a mere handgun or even a rifle, against possibly an AK-47?
    Knife throwing

In regards to mental health prohibitions, this is what's applicable in Arizona:

State law prohibits the possession of firearms by "prohibited possessors". These prohibited possessors include:

Anyone who has been found to constitute a danger to self or to others or to be persistently or acutely disabled or gravely disabled pursuant to court order under ARS 36-540, and whose right to possess a firearm has not been restored pursuant to ARS 13-925.[27] The prohibition against owning a firearm by a person found to be a danger to himself or others or persistently or acutely disabled or gravely disabled continues in effect even after the expiration of the mental health court order itself (365 days). Instead, a person whose right to possess a firearm was forfeited as part of a mental health order must have that right judicially restored by filing a petition with the court requesting a hearing and a court order restoring the right to possess a firearm.[27]
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Arizona

So I can't legally possess a gun due to having been considered a danger to myself & others 13 years ago. I know I shouldn't own a gun because the temptation to use it irresponsibly would be too great too frequently. But if I gave enough of a shit to get one legally, I'd just have to petition to get the right restored, and considering how stable the state has known me to be for the last decade, I'd probably be successful. That's kind of frightening.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    "Soon they'll hear my words," he thought, "and they will know that roboto's side-splitting reign of ha-has has begun."

Quote Originally Posted by Wheres the beef? View Post
    It's not about Dem Takin 'R Guns. It's about effectively using limited public resources in the best way possible. You aren't going to stop guns. EVER. You could dream up every possible way to prevent someone from getting a gun and implement it but you'll never stop people. What do you do about people who make guns at home? Hmmm? The technology and knowledge is out there and you can't stop it. So let's treat the problem and not the symptom.

I think a case could be made for improving gun control regulations, but pretending like just getting rid of guns will magically solve everything is foolish.
    Reading comprehension issues? How many posts did I make in the past two pages specifically saying that CONTROL, not getting rid of guns, is what I feel the focus should be? (Also, how have you made over 12,000 posts without me noticing you before?)

And, to ucla kid, really?! I hope that's sarcasm, because otherwise, wow.
    Last edited by bmack86; 07-20-2012 at 10:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post
    I always patiently wait for gun rights proponents to join liberals in requesting increased funding for Medicaid and mental health programs, especially for mental health care and intervention in school-aged children. Just like I always patiently wait for pro life advocates to join liberals in requesting additional child care, nutrition, and health care funding.
    Don't want this to go unrecognized.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    "Soon they'll hear my words," he thought, "and they will know that roboto's side-splitting reign of ha-has has begun."

With a tank. Duh!

Quote Originally Posted by xuclarockerx View Post
    I should be allowed to have nuclear weapons since they might be used on me one day

A lot of really paranoid people in this thread. I wonder if some of you are this cautious in other aspects of life.
    7/21 - !!! @ Club Congress (Tucson, AZ)
    8/23 - Galactic @ Rialto Theater (Tucson, AZ)
    8/25 - Future Islands @ 191 Toole (Tucson, AZ)
    10/11 - Carolina Chocolate Drops @ Rialto Theater (Tucson, AZ)
    11/10 - The Black Keys @ US Airways Center (Phoenix, AZ)
    4/10/15 - 4/12/15 - Coachella

The misinformation begins:

NYPD Commissioner Ray Kelly said the Colorado shooter suspected of opening fire in a suburban Denver movie theater resembled “The Joker”— the archetypal villain from the comic book series—when he attacked. At a news conference on Friday, Kelly said the “deranged” suspect, James Holmes, “had his hair painted red” at the time of the attack and claimed to be “The Joker,” the terrorist played by Heath Ledger in the last Batman film,The Dark Knight. Holmes opened fire during a midnight showing of Christopher Nolan’s sequel, The Dark Knight Rises, killing 12 and injuring dozens more. Kelly said the NYPD has stepped up security in New York City movie theaters “as a precaution against copycats” and to ease fears in the wake of the awful Colorado shooting.
    Witness accounts are streaming in from Aurora, Colo., where a gunman opened fire at a movie theater this morning, killing 12 and wounding scores more. “I just saw dead bodies everywhere,” Jennifer Seeger, 22, told The Daily Beast. “There was a girl who was lifeless on the stairs. I saw a gentleman who was moaning and groaning.” Other witnesses described scenes of confusion and horror to The Associated Press. Sylvana Guillen, 20, said the alleged shooter, James Holmes, appeared dressed as a SWAT team member and told her friend, “You better get ready to be shot.” And Tanner Coon, while making his escape, tried to rouse a woman covered in blood, but couldn’t—he “presumed she was dead.” People in the adjacent theater also saw bullet holes appear in the wall about 20 minutes into the movie.
    These two stories are right next one another on TheDailyBeast

Facetious Onion is facetious

"Oh, and here's another thing I hate I know," Brennen continued, "In exactly two weeks this will all be over and it will be like it never happened."
    Last edited by Mugwog; 07-20-2012 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Facetious Onion

Why would the NYPD Commissioner know anything about the guy's appearance? Well done news.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

That dude doesn't even know the color of The Joker's hair, pfft
    last.fm
    6/15/14 Failure - Glasshouse // 7/9/14 Cloud Nothings/Metz - Roxy
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL
    9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by Mugwog View Post
    Why not Marilyn Manson?
    http://boingboing.net/2012/07/20/mar....html?tw_p=twt

I absolutely hated Marilyn Manson back in the Columbine days, but even I had to call bullshit on the media using him and goth culture as a scapegoat for that particular tragedy.
    2005, 2007, 2011, 2012 W1, 2012 W2, 2013 W1, 2013 W2, 2014 W1, 2014 W2 and SOON 2015 W1 & 2015 W2!!

With the internet (memes, 4chan culture, etc.) the glory and fame of such acts is definitely a scary factor in all of this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mammoth85 View Post
    I hope Wario and Donkey Kong don't conflict.

INTERNET IS TO BLAME.

Quote Originally Posted by Grandma View Post

"ongoing attacks on Judeo-Christian beliefs"

fucking creepy.

If your argument for no gun control is they'll get hold of them anyway, then why not just legalise everything? I mean, they'll get hold of it anyway if they want to, right?

Just off to Walmart to buy a suitcase nuke.

Gun deaths per 100,000 population per year.

US 10.27
    UK 0.46

You'd expect ours to be higher, as we can't defend ourselves and people can get guns anywhere if they want to.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

Watever we kicked your ass in world war 2.

read somewhere that the shooter's mom mentioned thinking something like this might happen. at what point can we start holding the parents of these people who commit these insane acts responsible?