Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Goldenvoice threatens to move Coachella and Stagecoach music festivals from Indio

Default Goldenvoice threatens to move Coachella and Stagecoach music festivals from Indio

http://www.mydesert.com/article/2012...ows-from-Indio

INDIO — Promoters of the Coachella and Stagecoach music festivals, two of America's premier music events, are threatening to move the shows — possibly out of the Coachella Valley — if a proposed admissions tax is enacted by the host city.

Goldenvoice president Paul Tollett said next year's festivals would be the last in Indio.

The threat comes in response to a string of text messages obtained by The Desert Sun in which Goldenvoice vice president Skip Paige tells an Indio official that organizers are seriously considering moving the festival out of the city.

Polo club owner Alex Haagen III said he and Goldenvoice would build a new venue somewhere else.

“If the tax initiative of putting $4million to $6 million onto Coachella gets on the ballot,” said Tollett, “we're going to take off 2014; 2015 we'll be at a new facility outside of Indio.”

A proposed measure that was being drafted by the Indio city attorney for 2014 would impose a 5 percent to 10 percent tax on admissions to entertainment events of more than 2,500 people.

Tollett calculated the tax would be about $36 per ticket, which he said he would not pass on to festival-goers. It would therefore cost the promoters $4 million to $6 million.

The City Council on June 6 declined to consider City Councilman Sam Torres' proposal to enact such a tax. Torres promised to spearhead a petition drive to get a measure on the November ballot to generate what he said would be an average of $18 a ticket or about $4 million for the city that cut roughly $4 million from its current budget through measures including layoffs and furloughs.

Cities have until Aug. 10 to get a tax measure on the ballot.

“We think this tax is outrageous for all the things we've done with Indio,” Tollett said. Goldenvioce estimates the festival currently generates more than $800,000 in ticket fees, tax revenue on about $9 million in food and beverages sold, and a Transient Occupancy Tax of more than $800,000.

Councilwoman Elaine Holmes warned at a June 2011 City Council meeting that an attendance or entertainment tax could prompt Goldenvoice to move its Coachella Music and Arts Festival out of the city.

“He can easily take it to Irvine or someplace else,” she said at the time. “We don't want to scare that concert away.”

But Tollett's vow came shortly after Torres forwarded to The Desert Sun a series of text messages with Paige indicating Goldenvoice had already considered moving the festivals out of Indio.

A June 18 message shows Paige telling Torres, “The deal to purchase El Dorado Polo Club is DOA. We are entering into escrow on 600 acres at 62 and Van Buren (in the unincorporated Vista Santa Rosa community).”

On June 21, Paige is shown saying, “You know were moving right? All this is a game. Why in the world would we stay where we are not wanted. LQ doesn't want us, Indio wants to take all our profits. Its a joke.

“We made the decision to move out of indio the day we got our 2 year permit and george (Williams, husband of former City Councilwoman Melanie Williams) tried to sue us.”

Williams filed an Oct. 5, 2011, objection against the city's current deal with Goldenvoice, saying the action failed to comply with California environmental law. He declined to comment Friday except to say “the record speaks for itself.”

Paige also declined to comment Friday about the text thread with Torres. Tollett said he hadn't seen the texts in their entirety and couldn't respond, but said some excerpts were misleading.

The June 21 text would have been sent before the La Quinta Chamber of Commerce named Goldenvoice its Business of the Year. Tollett said the award showed an appreciation for Goldenvoice and “we're doing great with them now.”

He also said Goldenvoice didn't decide to leave Indio when it got its two-year city festival permits in 2011, and it still doesn't want to move.

“Actions speak louder than words,” Tollet said Friday. “We tried to buy Eldorado (Polo Club). Does that say we wanted to leave?

A June 18 text from Paige says Torres' actions were “actually helping me get out of a terrible relationship I have with Empire.” But Tollett maintained that Paige actually meant Eldorado. He said Goldenvoice and Haagen would continue to be partners even if they moved from Empire.

Haagen said his agreement with Goldenvoice is confidential, calling them business partners.

“We're linked with Goldenvoice,” said Haagen. “That's why I've been buying more land around the (Empire) polo club. I've worked with these guys for 20 years since the first concert with Pearl Jam.”

Goldenvoice presented the first Coachella festival in 1999 after that 1993 Pearl Jam concert at Empire. It reported a loss of $800,000, but the event grew to become one of the most popular and critically acclaimed music festivals in the world, attracting a paid attendance of 225,000 each of the past two years.

Haagen said the Eldorado escrow is not “DOA” and that an agreement could still be finalized if Goldenvoice could get a long-term commitment from the city to permit them to grow their business at Empire.

“I want them to finalize the deal with Eldorado,” Haagen said.

Tollett said a purchase of 600 acres of land at Van Buren and Avenue 62 was “in limbo.” He declined to say what the farm property would be used for, but said, “We've spent money on options for new venues. I regret that, but I had to. There's too much uncertainty. In any other place, this festival would have had a long-term deal. We have it with the venues. With the city, it's been this year-to- year thing.”

Paige's texts indicate Goldenvoice hasn't had any meetings with city officials to discuss a long-term deal “because there isn't one,” Paige alleged.

But Indio Mayor Glenn Miller insisted a deal has always been in the works. Indio City Manager Dan Martinez said negotiations can't progress until the city knows what will happen with the tax proposal and Goldenvoice's potential deal to buy Eldorado.

Haagen said Van Buren and Avenue 62 has been “looked at” as a possible festival venue, but “I think there are better locations.

“There are multiple locations this could be put at,” he said. “My thinking is if there's another venue, it ought to be a venue that has 1,000 acres. Why go back to 600 if that's where we're at now?”

Both Paige, in his texts, and Haagen say the city of Coachella has made inquiries about moving the festival east. But city leaders insist their talks with Goldenvoice, as recently as April, have focused solely on the valley's easternmost city playing a bigger role in the festival — perhaps bringing campers and more foot traffic — but not moving the festival.

“We have always kept the lines of communication open with Goldenvoice. In a perfect and ideal world we would love that the Coachella music festival consider, at some point, being in the city of Coachella,” Mayor Eduardo Garcia said Thursday. “We've always seen the 80 percent undeveloped of the city as an ideal location.”

Paige's texts indicate Goldenvoice is eyeing county land. “(Riverside County Supervisor) John benoit has 400 acres in the county,” his texts to Torres state.

Michelle DeArmond, Benoit's chief of staff, said the supervisor had breakfast with Tollett and Paige in April and discussed more local philanthropy opportunities for Goldenvoice, including a health clinic in the east valley. They did not discuss relocating the festival, DeArmond said.

“With all the property the county has it wouldn't surprise me if the county was trying lure Goldenvoice,” Holmes said. “If I was the county I would be trying to lure Goldenvoice.”

Haagen said with the property Goldenvoice rents around the 300-acre Empire and the 270 acres at Eldorado, Goldenvoice would have more than 600 acres at its current location.

“I don't even want to talk about moving because I don't want to move,” said Haagen. “I want to stay in Indio. We love Indio.”

Tollett also said, “We love the city.

“There's one person on the City Council pushing for this,” he said. “He doesn't feel that it matters if they just throw $5 million or $6 million at us.”

Torres says it's only fair to look to Coachella ticket buyers for added revenues since Indio voters already agreed to double the rate of their utility users tax in 2010, and the city's police force and City Hall employees have already endured dramatic cuts and furloughs.

“Everyone in the city has done everything they can to make ends meet,” Torres said recently.

Tollett said Indio officials asked Goldenvoice to help the city with its financial crisis, and it agreed to add $2.33 to each ticket. But he said jumping from $2.33 to “$36, maybe even more for the VIP ticket, it's outrageous.

“They're singling out one business to put a tax on,” he said. “Forget legal, is that even fair? To go and pick one thing and say the shows that are happening at Empire are going to solve the problem because (Indio) fired police chiefs, mayor and city managers and are paying them forever.

“Sam, his slogan should be, ‘I want to turn the city of festivals into the city of festival' — the Tamale Festival, which is free. That's what he's doing. That's his legacy.”

Tollett had other concerns about continuing to hold the festival at Empire before the admissions tax was proposed. He said his ticketing agency had told him they could have sold 300,000 tickets to the two weekends of Coachella and 80,000 tickets to Stagecoach, making the prospect of a larger venue appealing.

He said he'd also like later curfews and more liberal sound restrictions.

But he said those issues are secondary to an attendance tax that would cost his company at least $4 million a year.

Haagen said his major concern is the tax's impact on his ability to do business in the future.

“We're competing with other cities around the western United States,” he said. “We do corporate events. We do sports events and we're competing. When you add a tax, you make it that much more difficult.”

Both Tollett and Haagen said they'd ignore their other concerns if the tax measure didn't get on the ballot.

About 2,700 Indio residents would need to sign the petition for the tax measure to go forward, based on the city's registered voters during the 2010 election, Torres said.

Tollett said Coachella fans around the world will be waiting to see if the measure's proponents hit that number.

“When I say there's going to be no 2014, realize what I'm saying,” Tollett said. “The Coachella festival-goers have to bank on what I'm saying. I say no 2014, there are going to be people who set their wedding during April. I can't come back in 2014. Once I say it, the dice are thrown.”

Default Re: Goldenvoice threatens to move Coachella and Stagecoach music festivals from Indio

Tamales
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

Default Re: Goldenvoice threatens to move Coachella and Stagecoach music festivals from Indio

If the people of Indio are dumb enough to put this on the ballot and then vote for it fuck them. Plenty of other cities would love to host Coachella.

Quote Originally Posted by fatbastard View Post
    Tamales

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

I'd like if it went somewhere that had 1,000 acres. More camping and stage space would be ideal IMO

That's shitty. Why stay where your not wanted?
    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Smooches. =)

Good for Paul. Glad he is standing up for himself and his customers.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

shit. just. got. real.

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Good for Paul. Glad he is standing up for himself and his customers.
    Word; Indio stands to lose the most if things go sour and the fest relocates, so Paul is really in the driver's seat on this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    I'd contribute to this discussion but I'm still busy reminiscing about the halcyon days of punk. You know, the mid-90s.

and they know it. crazy how one rogue city official can fuck things up for everyone.

I wouldn't mind a new location with a later noise curfew and more space.

Ooh this is gonna be good *grabs popcorn*
    Quote Originally Posted by bdb23 View Post
    but dude, these guys are talking about wizards piss, they're already in danger mode.

move coachella to shoreline amphitheatre in mountain view, ca

Huh. If they kept it in the same general area (let's be honest, Coachella without the mountains and windmills is not the same), but bought in an unincorporated area that allowed for more space and a late curfew, then I'd be all for it. If they moved to Irvine or an entirely different part of SoCal, I think that might be too much for me. Coachella is not about Indio to me, but it is about the desert.

Avenue 62 and Van Buren is the alternate location, not far from the Polo Club.

Wow.

Skip Paige/Sam Torres text message exchanges

http://www.mydesert.com/article/20120630/LIFESTYLES010102/206300336

The following text message thread was obtained by The Desert Sun earlier this week from Indio Councilman Sam Torres. Torres, who has been under fire in recent weeks, is communicating with Goldenvoice vice president Skip Paige in the thread.

May 31

SKIP PAIGE: Hey Sam. Its Skip. I just ran into a reporter. She asked me some questions about your council comments. Just wanted to give you a heads up. I also sent her your text messages about tickets.

SAM TORRES: Thanks Thanks spoke to her earlier also.

Mid-June

PAIGE: Hi Sam, its Skip. I understand that you intend on coming to our meeting on Thursday. To be honest, I would prefer that you did not attend. This is a meeting for the workers that were on the ground. It is not intended to be a political get together. I think by having a city council member attend it changes the tone of the meeting.

TORRES: I thought it was a meeting of the ad hoc committee that included Lupe and myself. If I'm mistaken then of course I understand the need to have an unconstrained dialogue between yourselves. It must have been a mistake then.

PAIGE: No this is an operations re-cap meeting with my vendors and staff. I think that meeting is on another day.

TORRES: Yes I checked with Martha and she clarified that the ad hoc committee was meeting on the 14th. No worries.

PAIGE: Ok thanks Sam

June 18

PAIGE: Hey Sam. Just wanted to give you a heads up before you read it in the paper. The deal to purchase El Dorado Polo Club is DOA. We are entering into escrow on 600 acres at 62 and Van Buren. There is an article tomorrow in the desert sun.

PAIGE: Also do your homework. The city of indian wells actually fronted the tennis garden over $30M. That's the reason they got a 6% tax. Your actually helping me get out of a terrible relationship I have with Empire. (Editor's note: Goldenvoice president Paul Tollett maintains that Paige meant Eldorado Polo Club, not Empire.)

TORRES: Skip, I will check the facts and get back to you. I try very hard to keep the facts straight and the emotion out of it. I am sorry to hear that the relationship with the Polo grounds has deteriorated the festivals and the polo grounds are so synonymous.

PAIGE: The 62/Van buren deal is looking better everyday. We stopped work on the EIR to focus on that site.

TORRES: I understand you were pretty close to finalizing the draft which is quite a feat considering the farmers field project in LA took over, what 10 years to get it to review and comment there. Granted , LA is quite a behemoth in regards to process.

June 21

TORRES: I checked and no the city of IW did not pay 30 million for the TG. They did purchase the land along miles for about 15 million but retain ownership. It is master planned for “River” type project similar to Rancho Mirage that would be subject to ticket tax even on movie theater sales. Ellison purchased the gardens so city recouped any investment plus a 20 year commitment to host Paribas there. They had some single show concerts (I saw the Who there) but they lost money on those and the basketball games.

PAIGE: Cool. Buy Empire.

PAIGE: Fyi, you know were moving right? All this is a game. Why in the world would we stay where we are not wanted. LQ doesn't want us, Indio wants to take all our profits. Its a joke. You have no idea the battles we have had to fight and how much money we have lost on that show. You have no idea what its like to risk everything you own on your business. We all lost our homes, most of us lost our marriages all over Coachella. Now you think you can just come and take our profit. Its not going to happen. The city of Coachella is begging us to move there. They will lease use land for free to move there. We made the decision to move out of indio the day we got our 2 year permit and george tried to sue us

PAIGE: John benoit has 400 acres in the county. Haagen wants to move with us. You're in over your head. You killed the golden goose. Sure people will still rent hotels in indio but your per ticket fee and TOT will be gone.

PAIGE: Ask glenn ask lupe. She knows. We haven't had one meeting to discuss the long term deal because there isn't one.

TORRES: Sorry had to pick up sons from practice. I sincerely appreciate your openness Give me a moment to digest all you gave shared and get back to you.

PAIGE: You will be forever known as the guy who got rid CoachellaKids are awesome. This is not personal.

TORRES: Yes they are. I am lucky to have them. Skip I do know what it is like to risk it all and lose, twice as a matter of fact.I am extremely grateful that it never cost me my family.

TORRES: I have a tremendous amount of respect for what you, Paul and Bill have accomplished. I have never achieved your level of success but have had enough to respect and admire it in others.

TORRES: It has never been my intention to run the festivals off or to hinder your growth. I have always encouraged more events not less. I have encouraged the EIR.

TORRES: and frankly even though Alex Sr. Can be a hard cuss, he deserves the success he has achieved and respect both Sr. And Jr. I could never achieve a small part of what they have achieved . I do carry a tremendous burden for my community. Maybe in politics I am what you are in business. My seat and position mean little compared to the responsibility I feel for 85,000 plus residents of Indio. If wrong I can admit it, humbly. If right then I will defend it.

June 22

PAIGE: Make it better for the citizens of indio by encouraging business development. Taxes are a short term fix. I bet if you lowered some taxes you might actually collect more revenue. Encourage companies to create job by giving them incentives and a business friendly environment. People are scared to death to do business in Indio. That's how you change it. People of Indio and the Valley in general are much better off because of the festivals. Drive us away and you will make things worse.

PAIGE: We want our business to be kept private. By bringing this into the press you are forcing us to show our teeth. I don't want that and you don't want that.

PAIGE: Did you know we won “business of the year” yesterday in La Quinta? Even La Quinta understands how important this is

TORRES: Trust me we understand how important the festivals are to the city and valley. I have worked very hard to understand the implications and impacts. I have attempted vigorously to meet with your self and others to understand your needs and plans and also to explain my mine. To little or no avail. I will accept criticisms but would also appreciate some consideration. Not for my self personally, but for that small sliver of residents whose interest I represent.

TORRES: By the way congratulations on the award. You all deserve recognition.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimesceneCookie View Post
    Avenue 62 and Van Buren is the alternate location, not far from the Polo Club.
    Then leyyygo. How pretty do the words "2:45am in the Mojave" sound?

Woh. Im glad Paul Tollett is standing up for himself, goldenvoice, and the festival goers... but man would no 2014 ever suck. However, moving the venue to a place where there is a later curfew and more space does sound nice. But... not having it at the polo fields just seems weird. This is serious business.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Fuck. GV ain't nothing to fuck with, and as a festival goer, as long as their interest is in the benefit of its customers, (which these articles prove to be true) I'm behind them 100%.
    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Smooches. =)

Torres seems like a huge douche by leaking out these texts like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by travelfan View Post
    It's a bit unfair though, when I change an MP3 halfway through a song at a party I get yelled at, whereas Skrillex probably got a blow job.

But this is for the "survival" of Indio of guys...they need that extra tax because all the money already generated by the festival(s) (aka fucking 3 of them) clearly isn't enough. I say if Indio is stupid and greedy enough to try to pull this (and justify it), then good riddance.

Quote Originally Posted by travelfan View Post
    Then leyyygo. How pretty do the words "2:45am in the Mojave" sound?
    That would be awesome and maybe they could get rid of the beer gardens too.

Quote Originally Posted by concertgoer View Post
    That would be awesome and maybe they could get rid of the beer gardens too.
    And you people hate "bros" now...just wait until beer spilling in the Sahara occurs en masse...I'm actually all for the beer gardens.

im all for having a year off after 2013.... fuck Indio, and the surrounding areas. This obviously is going to continue time and time again. I think they should move it out to San Simeon, so much land out there.
    Coachella 07 (the introduction), 08 (the bands), 09 (the documentary), 10 (the people i came with), 11 (the relationship test... we passed), 12 (whatever the weather, Dirty Epic forever), 13 (the year of the troll)

- PEARL JAM WHY YOU HATE COACHELLA? -

Well they can't just let GV make all the profit.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimesceneCookie View Post
    I wouldn't mind a new location with a later noise curfew and more space.
    This^^

I love the Polo Fields, but I trust GV can find something comparable and possibly even better. Late night sets would be great. Also, with a later curfew you have the freedom to give certain acts longer sets. My Morning Jacket four hour set? Yes please. Sasha and Digweed for 3-4 hours? Where do I sign up?
    10/8 - Little Dragon @ Marquee (Tempe, AZ)
    10/11 - Carolina Chocolate Drops @ Rialto Theater (Tucson, AZ)
    11/10 - The Black Keys @ US Airways Center (Phoenix, AZ)
    4/10/15 - 4/12/15 - Coachella

As long as they have gallows as well.

24 hourchella with no beer gardens and a new venue fully customed forthe festival? Yes please.

And if it's the end of a Coachella; glad I went during the best years. Neener neener noob wieners

I actually love the idea of Goldenvoice being able to own 600 acres of land in Vista Santa Rosa. Missing 2014 would suck, but in the long run it might be for the best.