Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fox Theater vs Club Nokia?

Default Re: Fox Theater vs Club Nokia?

So since I bought pit I can pretty much show up whenever and I'm still in the pit right? They don't do the first come first serve thing that Fox does I'm assuming, since they were selling GA floor and GA pit as two different things for Nokia.

e a t s l e e p w o r k c o a c h e l l a

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

NORMALLY Nokia works the same way as Fox and Wiltern, with first-come first-serve for pit, but SOMETIMES they sell pit tickets, and when they do, that is what they are, so you guys are good to go.
    last.fm
    10/22/14 - TV On The Radio @ Regent // 11/9/14 - Bad Religion @ Mayan // 11/14/14 - Death From Above 1979 @ Regent // 11/16/14 - Lucero @ Echo

especially if the cost was a bit more.

fyi for all those going to the presets at the nokia, there's a notice stating that no cameras will be allowed at the show. now sure how strictly that will be enforced but it's something to note (may even be a plus for some).

It's the only venue I have been to that has metal detectors (except for sports arenas/stadiums), and their security is very tight and omnipresent inside as well, so expect it to be strictly enforced.
    last.fm
    10/22/14 - TV On The Radio @ Regent // 11/9/14 - Bad Religion @ Mayan // 11/14/14 - Death From Above 1979 @ Regent // 11/16/14 - Lucero @ Echo

Yeah they take your mother fucking gum.

Quote Originally Posted by Mugwog View Post
    Also not sure with the fox but it is a pain in the ass to smoke weed at Nokia. Any venue with security who is super anal on ganja (sharking thru crowd, constantly flashing lights everywhere) loses points for me instantly. It's a fucking show, let us get high. I'm tired of cocaine, I've quit cigarettes ffs and I drive much better high than drunk.
    I've been to a few shows at the Fox and smoked pretty easily the whole time. Just kinda crouched down and looked around to make sure security wasn't around before.

If it's a small camera you can usually sneak it in. I just put my wallet on top of it and throw it in the box at the Metal Detectors. Regardless you are still taking a risk.

The Jungle>Beirut
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

Quote Originally Posted by eyestothesky View Post
    So since I bought pit I can pretty much show up whenever and I'm still in the pit right? They don't do the first come first serve thing that Fox does I'm assuming, since they were selling GA floor and GA pit as two different things for Nokia.
    You should be good. But there is also a notice on the ticketmaster site saying that they will pass out wristbands at a first come first serve basis... so I'm assuming they only sold a limited amount of pit and will pass some more out at the show? Gosh I hope so because the freaking customer care people were no help to me this morning and basically told me I was SOL and the person I talked to yesterday told me wrong information. Oh well..I am going to have fun no matter where I am. Its the freaking PRESETS!!!!

club nokia balcony is great for sound and view, especially as you get to the lower rows

but that floor...man i dread GA tix there and have only been in the pit a few times.

sound is hit or miss on the floor. it does get muffled/canned depending on where you are

fortunately i am not planning on seeing any shows at CN in the near future.

Bumping this

Those of you who have purchased tickets for Club Nokia that are GAPIT- how did it work once you were there? Did you get a wristband from the person that scanned your ticket? I have a Pit ticket for PiL and was just curious. I checked in with AEG on it and they told me that access to the Pit was guaranteed with the ticket and to simply show my ticket to any Nokia staff member and I would get a wristband. Is that accurate?
    Steve Winwood| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Echo and the Bunnymen| Echo and the Bunnymen| Paul McCartney| Foxygen| FYF Fest| NIN/Soundgarden| Elvis Costello| Swans| Buzzcocks| King Crimson| Elton John| Kasabian| Massive Attack| Massive Attack| Slowdive| Tame Impala| DFA 1979| Fleetwood Mac| A Winged Victory for the Sullen

I bought a pit ticket for M83. i don't remember where i got the wristband, but that is indeed accurate, you are guaranteed entry to the pit. It's either at the door or the people guarding the pit entry.
    last.fm

Cool. Thanks!
    Steve Winwood| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Echo and the Bunnymen| Echo and the Bunnymen| Paul McCartney| Foxygen| FYF Fest| NIN/Soundgarden| Elvis Costello| Swans| Buzzcocks| King Crimson| Elton John| Kasabian| Massive Attack| Massive Attack| Slowdive| Tame Impala| DFA 1979| Fleetwood Mac| A Winged Victory for the Sullen

so since the seating chart on their website, and images of the actual venue (i've never been) tell me diddly squat, whats the diff between GA and GA PIT? i mean in the actual venue, is it just an area fenced off toward the front or what? i don't care since i'm pretty tall and don't need to be super close, but my gf is short and prefers getting up close.

i didn't even see a PIT option when buying the tix in june. hmm.
    Quote Originally Posted by thewindowliquor View Post
    No. I push you down. Always.

Pit option has only appeared for sale a very few number of times. usually it's first come first serve for pit access 9you get wristbands). it is in fact a an area in the very front that is fenced off. Behind that, the floor is broken up into several tiers with walls. However, everything outside of the pit is GA open access.
    last.fm

in previous shows that sold GA PIT tickets, i was still able to get in the pit area (Friendly Fires). My assumption is that they sold a portion of the pit tickets and still saved some wristbands for people that got there early enough. This last week tho, at SBTRKT, if you're ticket didn't say "PIT" on it, you weren't getting in. For the first 2 openers the pit was pretty empty and the 2nd level up was completely jam packed. How sad is it that for an almost sold out show, you have like 20 people in front of you?

It felt absolutely wrong and SBTRKT himself even tweeted about "the ridiculous wristband policy for front of stage". I guess Nokia sells ALL the pit wristbands in advance now, or maybe that was just for that show. Hopefully more artists notice and ask that they not do that (or better yet, don't play there).
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Which healthcare provider will euthanize you the fastest as a service to society?
    9/26 Die Antwoord@Observatory - 10/8 Gus Gus@Roxy - 10/9 Operators@Echo - 10/10 Twin Shadow@Glass House - 10/12,19,26 IAMX@Complex - 10/16 Massive Attack@Greek - 10/21 Superhumanoids - 10/24 Placebo@Club Nokia - 10/25 Beach Goth@Observatory - 10/27 Tycho@Glass House - 10/28 Bear Hands@Roxy - 10/31 Yelle@Fonda

As a fan though, i'd rather have the option of a pit ticket than first-come, first serve for wristsbands so i don't have to get there super early. But really, it should just be open GA instead of the wristband thing at all. Someone leaves the pit, that makes room for someone else to come in. the whole "reserve a spot for the whole night" system is very flawed.
    last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    As a fan though, i'd rather have the option of a pit ticket than first-come, first serve for wristsbands so i don't have to get there super early. But really, it should just be open GA instead of the wristband thing at all. Someone leaves the pit, that makes room for someone else to come in. the whole "reserve a spot for the whole night" system is very flawed.
    fully agree. even without them regulating the pit, promoters just dont seem to get that usually the pit section regulates itself. if its too crowded some people will get out. its very rare that at a GA show the pit will get so insanely overpacked that something must be done about it, especially a place as small as nokia (and especially a dance show wtf).

oh and i just need to say the presets cancelled the wrong fucking show

Quote Originally Posted by JorgeC View Post
    in previous shows that sold GA PIT tickets, i was still able to get in the pit area (Friendly Fires). My assumption is that they sold a portion of the pit tickets and still saved some wristbands for people that got there early enough. This last week tho, at SBTRKT, if you're ticket didn't say "PIT" on it, you weren't getting in. For the first 2 openers the pit was pretty empty and the 2nd level up was completely jam packed. How sad is it that for an almost sold out show, you have like 20 people in front of you?

It felt absolutely wrong and SBTRKT himself even tweeted about "the ridiculous wristband policy for front of stage". I guess Nokia sells ALL the pit wristbands in advance now, or maybe that was just for that show. Hopefully more artists notice and ask that they not do that (or better yet, don't play there).
    was it empty even when SBTRKT was playing? or just the openers? I was lucky and got a couple GA PIT for the presets..that shit better not be empty!
    Quote Originally Posted by mncarpooler View Post
    Anything that's not Sahara tent trash is going to have a small crowd it seems like. I wandered over near the Sahara once all weekend and it was a clusterfuck of the douchiest looking people you could ever imagine.

no, it was packed for SBTRKT, so that just means that 90% of the people that bought "PIT" tickets just decided to show up late cuz they only wanted to see the headliner or were outside smoking and at the bar. Like i said though, sad because many artists (including SBTRKT) usually bring acts that they like or are friends with on tour to help them out with more exposure, but then the venue keeps hundreds of people away from being able to see said acts (up close). Sucks.
    Which healthcare provider will euthanize you the fastest as a service to society?
    9/26 Die Antwoord@Observatory - 10/8 Gus Gus@Roxy - 10/9 Operators@Echo - 10/10 Twin Shadow@Glass House - 10/12,19,26 IAMX@Complex - 10/16 Massive Attack@Greek - 10/21 Superhumanoids - 10/24 Placebo@Club Nokia - 10/25 Beach Goth@Observatory - 10/27 Tycho@Glass House - 10/28 Bear Hands@Roxy - 10/31 Yelle@Fonda

It's really not that much different than any other venue that sells reserved Pit tickets. And most do. For example, I was at a show at the Gibson a while back with reserved Pit (think it was APC). It was fairly empty until they came out. The real difference at a place like Club Nokia is the rest of the floor is GA. I get that at a dance show this would kind of suck for the vibe. And of course the Gibson is a large concert venue vs a "club".

Anyway, unless the opening act(s) is also very popular, expect the Pit to be rather empty at Nokia until the headliner. I haven't seen it as a big issue and I've been there for plenty of shows- unfortunately. I'm not a big fan of the place. The sound is good but whoever was responsible for the archictecture and general facilities layout...

agree to disagree then (sort of?). We are saying the same thing, but it's a world of difference (to me) because of the fact that this is a GA venue.

Yes, Greek, Gibson, Bowl, and other places do this too, but those are all much bigger. People get there early because they want to be upfront and/or see the opening bands. Club Nokia is denying them because they want to make an extra $5 a ticket for you to get close.

When the Wiltern does reserved pit (very rarely), i don't see it as much of a problem because the pit area accounts for only about 20% (if that) of the total floor capacity and the next level up is still very close with great sightlines. Club Nokia's pit is probably closer to 1/3 of the floor capacity and...well, i guess i don't need to convince you of the shittiness of the layout. More people, further back during the entire first half (if not longer) of a concert, in a GA "club". Not a good experience.

After Presets this next week, i hope to not visit this venue for a while.
    Last edited by JorgeC; 10-22-2012 at 01:42 PM.

Thanks JorgeC! I know someone asked where you get wristbands from..but no on really answered it..I have Pit tickets for the presets and some friends don't really want to go early..so I'm wondering where exactly you get the wristbands from..and yes club nokia definitely sucks ass!
    Quote Originally Posted by mncarpooler View Post
    Anything that's not Sahara tent trash is going to have a small crowd it seems like. I wandered over near the Sahara once all weekend and it was a clusterfuck of the douchiest looking people you could ever imagine.

if you have pit tickets, then yeah, you don't need to worry about getting there late. you're guaranteed a pit spot. When you walk in, go to the right and walk down the stairs to the pit entrance (not the handicap ramp) and the security guard will give you a pit wristband.

thanks for the info guys.

i called ticketmaster to see if they could do an exchange from GA to GA PIT and apparently club nokia has a no refunds/no exchanges policy. so hopefully this is the first and last time i have to deal with this place; sounds like a gang of idiots are in charge over there.

"pit" area for a dance-show, wtf.
    Quote Originally Posted by thewindowliquor View Post
    No. I push you down. Always.

A few questions for you peeps, as I've never been to Club Nokia and am heading up there this weekend to see the Presets:

1. My friend told me the show ends at 4 AM - is this true? Does club nokia stay open that late? (I figure Presets would not play that late, but maybe one of the 3 DJ's playing with them will close late night)

2. I bought a normal (cheapest) GA pass and have seen in this thread that the pit is first come first serve to get a wristband. If I don't get a pit wristband, will I just be down on the floor, or will I be able to get up into balcony areas? I guess I'd like to know where the best place is to post up to enjoy the show

Thanks for the help
    Jay Electronica 2011

I can answer the second question- in most cases you cannot go to the balcony at Club Nokia with a GA Floor ticket. I have had a VIP ticket in the past that allowed access to my reserved seat in the balcony or GA floor. But that's as close as I've seen to all levels access.

The best place to watch a show at Nokia is the floor. The sight lines in the balcony are ridiculous. Do not like.

Just get there early enough to get a wristband and be done with it.

Quote Originally Posted by sonnyboy11 View Post
    I can answer the second question- in most cases you cannot go to the balcony at Club Nokia with a GA Floor ticket. I have had a VIP ticket in the past that allowed access to my reserved seat in the balcony or GA floor. But that's as close as I've seen to all levels access.

The best place to watch a show at Nokia is the floor. The sight lines in the balcony are ridiculous. Do not like.

Just get there early enough to get a wristband and be done with it.
    I have never had an issue with getting up to the Balc with a Floor ticket. If anything I have have found they often encourage people to go up there for some strange reason. Agreed though - awful site lines.

You can go upstairs to the balcony with a floor ticket as long as the show is not sold out and/or the entire balcony is not assigned seating.

they encourage people to go upstairs on slower nights to spread out the people and make it not as packed downstairs (fire hazard?). Every time i've been to an undersold show there, the bars upstairs are dead.