Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fox Theater vs Club Nokia?

Default Fox Theater vs Club Nokia?

I am looking to go to a few shows this summer and have not been to these venues. Is one significantly better than the other? A couple of the shows in question will be at both venues and I am equidistant from either. Which do you guys prefer?

e a t s l e e p w o r k c o a c h e l l a

Default Re: Fox Theater vs Club Nokia?

Do you prefer 909 scum or LA scum?

Club Nokia is probably the worst set-up ever. Feels like a Club hence the name and not a concert venue. Fox Theatre is much better, but I personally don't like schlepping to Pomona, so I end up roughing it at Club Nokia.

I've never had sound issues at Club Nokia, but Fox is a much prettier and more impressive venue. But yeah, it's in Pomona, which is a trek, especially compared to the possibility of using the metro to get to Nokia.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Fox for sure. I hate Club Nokia.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Club Nokia is in a much better location. metro accessible, tons of bars and restaurants right next door. But as others have said, it's a pretty terrible venue.
    last.fm
    4/5/14 - Trentemoller - Fonda // 4/9/14 - The Knife - Fox Theater Pomona // 4/22/14 - Dillinger Escape Plane - Glasshouse// 5/23/14 - 5/26/14 Punk Rock Bowling - Las Vegas
    5/28/14 - Elbow - Wiltern // 7/9/14 - Cloud Nothings - Roxy // 8/25/14 - Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    Comments about she left the movie feeling bad and she one of those girls that fuck in the ass to saving her Vagina intercourse for marriage.

You're better off seeing the show out of state

sounds like someone wants to see the Presets.

You're going to Circa Survive AND Presets? I didn't think there was much of a crowd crossover between the 2 besides Sushov and myself. I will say I'm biased since i live in Ontario and grew up going to Glass House shows and love that the Fox reopened after many dormant years, but here's how I feel.

Fox >>>>>> Club Nokia. Old theater, great sound, rooftop bar. vs "custom-made club" with bad sightlines (from the far left and right and the giant pillars on the floor), muffled sound (from the low ceiling in the floor section for anyone not in the pit), and overpriced everything. If you want to get some air at Club Nokia, you're on a smoking patio. While the same is true for Fox on the rooftop, there's a lot more room to walk around and away from anyone that's smoking.

Transportation-wise, the Metro is the only major advantage for Nokia over Fox, but the OP said he's equidistant so Fox wins. If driving, there's usually more free parking easier to find in Pomona.

As far as food and bars, there's lots of food and bars in Pomona too. I'd eat at El Merendero over any restaurant in LA Live in a heartbeat. If you walk away from LA Live, downtown definitely gets the food edge. Club Nokia wins if going for dinner + show.

For bars, Pomona's range from tacky sports bars to craft beer/wine bars and everything in between. Unless you're going to a "name" bar, or for something very specific (whiskey bar, etc), you can get drunk for cheaper in p-town. Fox Pomona wins.

In terms of crowd, mugwog hit it. LA scum vs 909 scum. I find security more chill at Fox and pit area is easier to get into.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Which healthcare provider will euthanize you the fastest as a service to society?
    Coachella W2 - 4/25 Dillinger Escape Plan@Glass House - 5/1 The Horrors@First Unitarian Church - 5/9 Big Freedia@Echoplex - 6/28 Robyn/Royksopp@Bill Graham

Fox being in Pomona is the only negative. Heading over in the afternoon on a weekday can be an hour + with all traffic if you are coming from L.A. but since you are close to both Fox wins.

yeah if i lived in the middle i would definitely take Fox. Being in LA though, I've had it take me over 2 hours to get to Pomona on a weekday to try and make opening acts at the Glass house. No bueno.
    last.fm
    4/5/14 - Trentemoller - Fonda // 4/9/14 - The Knife - Fox Theater Pomona // 4/22/14 - Dillinger Escape Plane - Glasshouse// 5/23/14 - 5/26/14 Punk Rock Bowling - Las Vegas
    5/28/14 - Elbow - Wiltern // 7/9/14 - Cloud Nothings - Roxy // 8/25/14 - Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl

Comments about she left the movie feeling bad and she one of those girls that fuck in the ass to saving her Vagina intercourse for marriage.

Quote Originally Posted by xuclarockerx View Post
    sounds like someone wants to see the Presets.
    Or Circa Survive? (do some fucking homework)

I live in OC and used to go to the Glass House a lot so I'll go with the Fox

Short answer is if you don't mind the drive go to the Fox

I've never had anything but fantastic sound at Club Nokia. I watched both Primal Scream and the Cranberries under the low ceiling and both sounded great.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Yeah i have no issue with the sound at all at Nokia. It's just a really shitty layout for a music venue with terrible lines of sight. if you see anything with big stage production and you're uner the low ceiling a lot gets cut off by the balcony. If you get into the bit, which i've done 2/5 times I've been there it's pretty perfect though.

Also, the drinks are CRAZY priced. It seems like it's different literally every time I'm there, but one time they charged me $10 for a regular-sized cup of shocktop, WTF
    last.fm

Yes the sound at Nokia is great, saw Lords of Acid with a live drummer and was very impressed by the sound quality

fox, hands down. most of the shows i've seen at both have had great sound but the fox is more spacious, has a more easily accessed pit, and you won't be dealing with low ceilings or view-blocking columns. proximity to warehouse pizza and free parking are also pluses for the fox.

Quote Originally Posted by Mugwog View Post
    Yes the sound at Nokia is great, saw Lords of Acid with a live drummer and was very impressed by the sound quality
    ahahaha i just remembered I was inspired to create a yelp account after being so pissed off by the place after seeing Lords of Acid and My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult there. it was my 3rd time there but the first time I spent several hours in there. This was my review:

Club Nokia is a high end Vegas style night club that fancies itself a normal music venue. Every aspect of it is focused on the VIP, and during the 3 times I've been there, it's extremely apparent that whoever is running the place knows and cares very little about the audience that comes to many of the shows that are booked here.

The size is nice, and the sound is phenomenal, but the layout is strange with bad lines of sight and tiering of section is bizarre given the fact that the floor has no obvious slant (unlike the Wiltern, which was converted from a sit-down theater and renovations necessitated walled -off tiers).

A lot of what I'm about to say is pretty specific to the Lords Of Acid show that took place on 7/16/10, but it tells a lot about the club.

First off, this was booked in the absolute WRONG venue, and i knew that as soon as it was announced. Club Nokia has a capacity of 2300 and the reports of the show is that 900 showed up. This show should have been at the Fonda. It would have been a lot more fun in a crazy packed floor.

Also, Club Nokia has multiple sections, including a 400-person capacity pit that is "first come first serve" to get a wrist band for. So generally you get there early to get into the pit. Doors were at 8pm (although it was closer to 8:30pm that we were actually let in), and LOA didn't even hit the stage until almost midnight. So there were a bunch of people there at 8pm, and we had an hour of some dj playing typical goth/industrial club music that could have easily been played over the PA without turntables on stage, then two cheesy metal bands before My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult came on.

Upon entrance, nobody made it clear that you could go get a wristband to get into the pit, as you had to go over there and basically request the wristband from a big bouncer. So if you've never been there before, you don't know. They had security EVERYWHERE for this thing, and I think that intimidated people from trying to go into the pit or maybe they thought it was VIP and I'd say it was only half full down there.

Also, the drinks in that place are EXPENSIVE. Stellas and Shocktops on draft were $10/pint and fucking Bud Lights were $8/pint. When you're in there for 5 hours, it gets ludicrous. And to counter some reviewers who obviously don't go to a lot of shows...yes, you should expect to pay more for drinks at shows, but this is not even close to typical. I have paid $10 for a regular sized beer on the roof of the Standard, but never at a rock concert.

So, bad venue for the show and bad planning. it should have been doors at 9 with one opening band since there were two headline-length sets. Keeping people in a club from 8pm - 1am for a concert is ridiculous. or have it somewhere that's all access so you're not afraid of being caught with a bad line of site if you don't get there early. If this was at the Fonda I wouldn't have even shown up until 10pm.

ALSO, I'd like to add that this opinion comes from someone who goes to a LOT of concerts and has been to most every venue in Los Angeles. What bugs me may not bug the more casual concert goer.
    last.fm

fox. say "hi" to shrek!

Also not sure with the fox but it is a pain in the ass to smoke weed at Nokia. Any venue with security who is super anal on ganja (sharking thru crowd, constantly flashing lights everywhere) loses points for me instantly. It's a fucking show, let us get high. I'm tired of cocaine, I've quit cigarettes ffs and I drive much better high than drunk.

Fox. It's an easier drive & free parking.

Quote Originally Posted by lesparkley View Post
    fox, hands down. most of the shows i've seen at both have had great sound but the fox is more spacious, has a more easily accessed pit, and you won't be dealing with low ceilings or view-blocking columns. proximity to warehouse pizza and free parking are also pluses for the fox.
    Warehouse Pizza! I grew up eating at that place! I grew up in La Verne, where are you from?

I'd go with Fox on this one, I like it a lot more than Club Nokia.

Thanks for all the replies guys! All compelling info that seems to ultimately lead to Fox. Unfortunately, my friends have decided on Nokia (for the presets at least) due to accessibility and the fact that it's on a Saturday and all of them but me have normal 9-5 jobs. Anyone have any tips to make my Nokia experience any better? I definitely want pit/floor access but one of my friends wants to buy the VIP seats for some reason. Any advantage or recommendations on where we should try to get seating? I know that when the Presets actually start I'm gonna wanna be on the floor.

If you are going to be in seating I would do it in the first couple of rows. The view and sound gets shittier and shittier as you go up. I do prefer the seated area because I am unable to get there early for pit tickets and sitting in row AA is pretty kush. Obviously if they sell pit that is the way to go!
    Last edited by Justin170; 06-28-2012 at 09:50 AM.

If you like to smoke weed, go in late.

And I usually park by the movie theatre and have amazing luck making a left to look for parking RIGHT BY the handicap parking, around 9pm-10pm you will usually find a single slot. Most folks dont bother looking that way since the traffic almost forces them to go down a level or two.

Perfect spot to smoke plenty of ganja.

Quote Originally Posted by eyestothesky View Post
    Thanks for all the replies guys! All compelling info that seems to ultimately lead to Fox. Unfortunately, my friends have decided on Nokia (for the presets at least) due to accessibility and the fact that it's on a Saturday and all of them but me have normal 9-5 jobs. Anyone have any tips to make my Nokia experience any better? I definitely want pit/floor access but one of my friends wants to buy the VIP seats for some reason. Any advantage or recommendations on where we should try to get seating? I know that when the Presets actually start I'm gonna wanna be on the floor.
    i have a normal 9-5 and still opted to see the presets at the fox. pretty strong testament to how much more i like the fox since i'm usually the person who is notorious for not going to shows on weekdays because i like to be well-rested for work. either way, if you want to get in the pit at the nokia, get there around about when doors open (if not earlier). i have NEVER been granted access to the pit after arriving during the opener's set. regardless of venue, the presets should be awesome! enjoy the show!

Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    Warehouse Pizza! I grew up eating at that place! I grew up in La Verne, where are you from?

I'd go with Fox on this one, I like it a lot more than Club Nokia.
    i grew up in the pasadena area. my high school athletics program competed with some schools out in claremont. we discovered the carby goodness that is warehouse coming back from a track meet and i've made a point of stopping by every time i go to a show in pomona.

If you have pit, not floor, tickets at Nokia you are guaranteed a pit wristband, right? Dont thinkt he Fox does that

I bought pit tickets for Nokia, so hopefully I'm good to go. I remember being surprised the first time I went to Fox and the "GA floor" was tiered. Woulda gotten there much earlier has I known that.

I saw Simian Mobile Disco at Nokia and the sound was awesome. We stayed in the pit the whole time but if you were anywhere else you cant really see. That being said I already have my tickets for The Presets @ Nokia. I am pissed cuz i fucked up and bought GA tickets and not GA pit tickets cuz of stupid Ticketmaster. I was told i could switched them tomorrow after presale though so fingers crossed.