Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: I Weep for the Future

Default I Weep for the Future

We're all going to die of starvation and neglect in our nursing homes while the apes rule the world.

On Sunday, a few hours after he was found dead in a California swimming pool at age 47, Rodney King--a central figure in the 1992 L.A. riots--began trending on Twitter.

News of King's death was quickly followed by a related, if disturbing, Twitter trend: "Who is Rodney King?"

"Who is Rodney King?" Briauna Mariee, identified on Twitter as "First Queen Standing," tweeted upon seeing King's name trending.

"Is it bad that idk who Rodney King is," Twitter user Jiggy wrote, "cause I don't."

"Who is Rodney king again? I forgot," Bougie Bre asked, adding: "#serioustweet."

"Same thing I wanna know," the user Carolina Girl tweeted.

"I'm not gone lie y'all," @isingiprayilove wrote. "I don't who who ... Rodney King is."

"Wikipedia it," Bennie Cooper suggested in response.

"Don't know who Rodney King is but we share the same last name," Raymond King, a self-described "semi-pro gamer," wrote on Twitter. "R.I.P."

King's death was certainly not the first to baffle Twitter users. Television icon Dick Clark, author Ray Bradbury, Bee Gees singer Robin Gibb, disco queen Donna Summer, CBS News interviewer Mike Wallace, "Where The Wild Things Are" author Maurice Sendak, Beastie Boy rapper Adam Yauch and hairdresser Vidal Sassoon--all of whom died this year--ended up cycling through the microblogging service in a similar manner:

1. Death is reported
    2. News of death spreads
    3. Name begins trending on Twitter
    4. Name preceded by "Who is" begins trending on Twitter
    5. Backlash against ignorant users responsible for "Who is" trend ensues

"I get the feeling I'm going to be slaughtered for saying this," Rhys Kelly tweeted after Gibb's death. "But who is/was Robin Gibb?"

"Who/what on earth is the Bee Gees?" admitted cocoon-dweller Peter Botha asked his followers.

"Who's Robin Gibb and why is she trending?" Ant Wright wrote.

"We all have tendency to see culture as a monolith," Scott Lamb, managing editor of Buzzfeed--a site that's become a virtual clearinghouse for Twitter naivety--told Yahoo News recently. "And one thing Twitter does is expose how untrue that notion is."

Shockingly enough, there is an absolutely gigantic amount of people on Twitter who don't know who someone or something is. Today it's Dick Clark.

"Yes, there are those who don't know about Clark," Jen Chung wrote on LAist.com. "But to be fair, some aren't American and Clark was an American pop culture figure. And the young aren't as familiar with him, because he's only really been on TV lately as the New Year's Rockin' Eve host—and in limited segments."

Of course, it's not just death that exposes Twitter's generational divide--anniversaries of historical news events show it as well.

In April, on the 100th anniversary of the Titanic disaster, the social news-sharing site Reddit pointed to a series of tweets from people who did not know that the sinking of the Titanic was real--and not just a 1997 Hollywood blockbuster starring Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet.

"Wait!" user Sue D. wrote. "Titanic really happened? I thought it was just a movie."

"Guys, the Titanic was real!" @BabyDoe22 wrote. "#mindblown."

"I think the reason why bigger events exposes the divide is because people just want to participate in the conversation," Chung told Yahoo News. "They want to have a say, even though they might not have anything to say."

"People not knowing about the Titanic probably says more about gaps in the education system than gaps between generations," Lamb said. "But Dick Clark's death does expose that the cultural touch-points we take for granted aren't familiar everywhere."

But you don't always have to die or sink a ship to blow young Twitter users minds: Sometimes, you just have to be a former Beatle who shows up at the Grammys.

"Who the f--- is Paul McCartney and why is he on this?" Kristen Dewe wrote on Feb. 13 during the Grammys broadcast.

Sadly, she was not alone.

McCartney, who turned 70 on Tuesday, is one a set of celebrities who have been a constant presence for men and women of a certain age--just imagine what's going to happen on Twitter when Macca dies.

"People just coming of age now have a different group to work with," Lamb said. "There's something unsettling about realizing that your references are dated."
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Default Re: I Weep for the Future

Eh. Ignorance of sort of minor historical events and figures (even if they are rather recent) isn't worth getting into too much of a tizzy.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

Twitter compounds the stupidity.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

MIND BLOWN

Much more unsettling.

she don't even care

Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    Eh. Ignorance of sort of minor historical events and figures (even if they are rather recent) isn't worth getting into too much of a tizzy.
    The LA Riots happened 20 years ago. I'm really not surprised that people don't know who Rodney King is, especially if a lot of these twitter posts are from individuals born after the incident. I just see a lot of this as a generation gap.

thestripe

No it’s not. It's 2012 and these dumb fucks can't even click on the google search button before flooding Twitter with "look at me" bullshit.

while I agree with the general sentiment of the OP, i don't think kids using twitter think of it as 'look at me!' so much as a genuine communication tool.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Hey here's an idea. You know those people who are desperately poor, down on their luck, uneducated, abused, and generally ill-equipped for life? Let's make fun of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin View Post
    The LA Riots happened 20 years ago. I'm really not surprised that people don't know who Rodney King is, especially if a lot of these twitter posts are from individuals born after the incident. I just see a lot of this as a generation gap.
    The riots were a pretty important socially-relevant historic event. It's like saying not knowing about the Kent State shootings is a 'generation gap' thing.

You mean to tell me people say and do dumb things when they're 16?

OH NOES THE FUTURE IS RUINED

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    The riots were a pretty important socially-relevant historic event. It's like saying not knowing about the Kent State shootings is a 'generation gap' thing.
    I didn't know about the Kent State shootings until I was in high school. :/
    Quote Originally Posted by Newro7ic View Post
    Lakers fans are some of the most delusional people in the world, I swear.
    my name is casey. i love pavement and i want to pet every dog in the world.

I think kids think of all social media as "Look at me!" as well as a fair few adults.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    I don't recall ever learning about the riots growing up in the public school system (in CT). If I didn't read and watch a lot of news, I probably would not have known about it until I moved to CA.

On my list of things to feel outrage or dismay about, a bunch of teenagers not knowing who someone whose primary claim to fame is getting beaten by the police is is pretty close to the bottom.

Let's make a thread about it so everyone can see how superior I am to those stupid kids.

I don't need to make a thread to prove my superiority. Also, it's cute how you've started following me around. I'll probably be in the Bad Mood thread in a bit if you want to attempt to troll me in there.
    Last edited by captncrzy; 06-19-2012 at 08:35 AM.

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by xuclarockerx View Post
    while I agree with the general sentiment of the OP, i don't think kids using twitter think of it as 'look at me!' so much as a genuine communication tool.
    People that know how to use twitter know how to use google. A quick search will provide you with the latest story from whatever media outlet is reporting, and most likely there will be some back story to the history of said dead person. Also, using twitter is different from hearing someone died on tv and just saying "who was ____?" You have to go through the same amount of effort to tweet as you do to search something on google.
    September 16 - Earth
    September 18 - DJ Shadow & Cut Chemist
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    September 23 - Andy Stott
    October 2 - Beck
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 20 - Mastodon
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Festival
    October 29 - The Melvins
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 18 - Slayer

On my list of things to feel outrage or dismay about, a bunch of teenagers not knowing who someone whose primary claim to fame is getting beaten by the police is is pretty close to the bottom.
    This is just TODAY's dismay.

I think compulsory schools are typically a little unsure of how to teach recent history in a politically neutral way. I'm not surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    People that know how to use twitter know how to use google. A quick search will provide you with the latest story from whatever media outlet is reporting, and most likely there will be some back story to the history of said dead person. Also, using twitter is different from hearing someone died on tv and just saying "who was ____?" You have to go through the same amount of effort to tweet as you do to search something on google.
    We should get rid of all the threads here along the lines of "Tell me about the FYF 2012 lineup" because, shit, wtf can't people just Google the bands.
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

thestripe

Let's defend stupid tweets.

We should get rid of google and and all informative threads and just tweet.

In case its not clear I'm being sarcastic. "Who is Rodney King?" and "Who is Rodney king again? I forgot" are people asking their friends/followers/etc for information. And it's likely that they got reasonably quick responses that were more or less personalized to their interests.

I find those tweets far less alarming than something like "I don't know who Rodney King was and I don't care" would have been.

Quote Originally Posted by thestripe View Post
    Let's defend stupid tweets.

We should get rid of google and and all informative threads and just tweet.
    Tweets from ignorance is one thing; this is just plain idiotic.

Sometimes information transfers better in the form of a conversation.

Interweb burning bonfire/pool pizza party?

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post

in a lot of cases this may be true, but i have a feeling the conversation between a bunch of teenagers on, "who was rodney king" is rather shallow.
    September 16 - Earth
    September 18 - DJ Shadow & Cut Chemist
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    September 23 - Andy Stott
    October 2 - Beck
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 20 - Mastodon
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Festival
    October 29 - The Melvins
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 18 - Slayer

thestripe

Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post

I agree, John. But many of those tweets in op were not intended to start or add to conversation. Just say'n.
    Last edited by thestripe; 06-19-2012 at 09:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    This is like saying that if you know how to talk, you know how to listen. Sorry, but the people who tweet volumes of empty text are more interested in yapping their lids off than they are about knowing or learning anything new themselves. What? Who? Huh? Ya? Twitter is to talkers as google is to listeners.

What I don’t understand is why anyone would actively go out and search twitter for the bottom of the barrel and report back on it when there is actually funny, informative, and useful tweets out there.