Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Indio Councilman Sam Torres wants to tax Coachella out of existance

Default Re: Indio Councilman Sam Torres wants to tax Coachella out of existance

Quote Originally Posted by seitron View Post
    Someone posted an article on these forums (possibly more than one article) discussing how Goldenvoice was purchasing the Great Park in Irvine for the specific purpose of holding music festivals, and how it has a capacity much larger than Coachella.
    no, goldenvoice is in negotiations to buy land surrounding the polo field out in indio. the irvine company owns irvine and rules with an iron fist. they will hold smaller scale shows at the park in irvine, no way a 3 day festival of coachella's magnitude will ever go down there.

They would never move Coachella out of the Coachella Valley, anyone who thinks they would is a complete moron.

Funny, I thought with all those headlines in April/whenever that the sale had actually gone through already.

Yes!!! BOO THIS MAN!!!

18 dollars a ticket? to go to a city that gets tons

June 20th 2012 Desert Sun:
    http://www.mydesert.com/article/2012...|img|Frontpage

cool this just in:
    http://www.mydesert.com/article/2012...laFest-campers

they rejected the hotel tax increase

Being a local who understands the bullshit politics of having to grow up with local city governments (how fucking long did it take you tight wads to put in the Palm Springs skate park??) I can assure you this is nothing NEW in the bullshit ways of the Indio city managers and council. Showing the TRUE colors of what Indio is all about instead of being happy with what it has.

I'm sitting here in my parents back yard in Plam Springs where I grew up reading the friggin Desperate Scum when I see this cover story. I almost shat myself!

As if Palm Springs, DHS, Cat City , La Quinta and other local governments aren't greedy enough-here comes along Mr. Torres.

Please:
    On the first and third Wednesday of each month, City Council meets at 5:00 p.m. for ceremonial items, consent calendar and administrative items and at 6:00 p.m. for noticed public hearings. The open sessions are held at the Council Chamber, 150 Civic Center Mall, Indio, CA 92201.

If you wish to contact Council please send correspondence to
    Indio City Hall
    100 Civic Center Mall
    Indio, CA 92201
    Phone: (760) 391-4015
    Fax: (760) 391-4008

*In the article he tries to compare $850.000 to $4,000,000 and what this mirror user isn't adding in is ALL the over time, TAX from OTHER BUSINESSES in Indio during the event.

Look kids, we have hotel city tax ok? before Coachella no one even stayed Indio in April at the hotels and they were empty. Now every year from hotel tax alone the city of Indio makes a killing. Add in all the other local business tax (from BevMo alone) and they're spoiled.
    Last edited by localdesertrat; 06-21-2012 at 09:50 PM.

I just read that on mydesert ^ good for them....the Indio mayor is also very pro Coachella.

Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    no, goldenvoice is in negotiations to buy land surrounding the polo field out in indio. the irvine company owns irvine and rules with an iron fist. they will hold smaller scale shows at the park in irvine, no way a 3 day festival of coachella's magnitude will ever go down there.
    I'm referring to these
    http://articles.latimes.com/2012/may...tival-20120519
    http://blogs.ocweekly.com/heardmenta...ght_get_ow.php
    http://www.coachella.com/forum/showt...k-in-Irvine-CA

And for the record I don't think Coachella is leaving anytime soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by bdb23 View Post
    but dude, these guys are talking about wizards piss, they're already in danger mode.

I laugh at people who believe this valley has gotten as big as it has because of the festival. Sure the money coming in helps, that is not debatable. The thing is, and I've said it before, the city doesn't need the festival to survive. Another thing most people don't realize is that Indio doesn't see a lot of the money coming In during coachella. The money coming in goes mostly to LQ, palm desert, indian wells, and palm springs. Which is where 95 percent of the hotels reside. It is bullshit was this guy is saying, but nothing will come of it, no need to worry.

Torrres is a moron and kudos to the rest of the city council for voting against the hotel tax increase.

Quote Originally Posted by ArcadeParade View Post
    ...starring Fred Ward as John Redcorn

The Coachella Valley got famous because of Palm Springs in the 40's,50's,60's and beyond as a resort place for Hollywood stars to hang and spring breakers to PARTY.

NOT BECAUSE OF COACHELLA

Sam Torres is a BUSINESS MAN WITH HANDS IN MANY POCKETS

ALL this guy wants is more cream from the top of the milk source, you're going to tell me if Coachella leaves Indio they will "Survive just fine"

On what? Tamale festival tax and the cheesey ass County Fair that's looked the friggin same since 1980?

He is biting the hand that feeds him..
    *yeah poor Indio......the cops don't make enough overtime!! BOOOO HOOO

If you wish to contact Council please send correspondence to
    Indio City Hall
    100 Civic Center Mall
    Indio, CA 92201
    Phone: (760) 391-4015
    Fax: (760) 391-4008
    Last edited by localdesertrat; 06-21-2012 at 09:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by localdesertrat View Post
    The Coachella Valley got famous because of Palm Springs in the 40's,50's,60's and beyond as a resort place for Hollywood stars to hang and spring breakers to PARTY.

NOT BECAUSE OF COACHELLA
    I grew up in the desert too, It used to be a Hollywood hangout, not anymore not at all....Sunny Bono killed Palm Springs spring break...Coachella is by far the biggest thing happening in Coachella, but they don't need it to survive.

I also hate it when people call themselves " Desert rats" or the valley the dirt.

^So interesting!
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    I'm still waiting for Jack White to finally admit that he invented the guitar.

yes it will be fine...the Indio swap meet will be the BIG highlight again!

All Coachella Festivals except the year the Pixes played because 107 is way too hot for a festival.

-but if you REALLY know anything about the Coachella Valley then you would know that the Date festival was the biggest thing that happened there PERIOD.(Tamale Festival second)

I have always loved Indio and I want it to do well, I just think 18.00 a ticket per weekend just to go to Indio is a bit much..maybe half that.

So many people in the desert including myself work the Festival in A/V production areas and it would be a shame to move something so special to us locals. So much work is generated for everyone during the festivals. From parking to stores to food and restaurants. All of them pay taxes that the city would not get if the festival were moved.

I just see this guy as being greedy and if you read the article from June 19th 2012 in the Desert Sun the last thing he does is defend himself as being greedy.

Indio gets as much media coverage now as Palm Springs so you would think they would be happy.

I'm happy for Indio, when I was young I use to think it was shit hole and place where shotguns were used in a regular basis at parties we went to out there.

I mean if Indio said, "we want to add a 6 dollar tax to each pass to go to the homeless shelter" I would be happier than anyone.

But that is not what they are saying here so read the article.

*the Indio swap meet was the first place I bought a music tape, Missing Persons -Spring Sessions M as a weeee little kid
    Last edited by localdesertrat; 06-21-2012 at 12:17 PM.

Everything you write is so fucking interesting Greg, its a message board nothing is intersting, at least once in a while I'm incredibley funny.
    Last edited by Riggins33; 06-21-2012 at 06:23 PM.

TAMALE FAIR?! I am sold. That's sounds much more delicious than Coachella.

Quote Originally Posted by Riggins33 View Post
    at least once in a while I'm incredibley funny.
    You think so?
    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Smooches. =)

Yeah I think by far I'm the best thing about this board.

Unhappy Re: Indio Councilman Sam Torres wants to tax Coachella out of existance

Quote Originally Posted by Mugwog View Post
    TAMALE FAIR?! I am sold. That's sounds much more delicious than Coachella.
    Yeah it does SOUND good but they charge like $5 a tamale?!? It's prolly because somebody is tacking on a indio tax... You KNOW you need like 3 of those plus a beverage to get full
    "conversation is a game of circles and i'm getting dizzy-- bye"

Quote Originally Posted by Riggins33 View Post
    Yeah I think by far I'm the best thing about this board.
    Board member of the year shoe-in. Let's get this man fitted for his requisite crown of thorns.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

I know for a fact that rolling on E inside the vendor court at the Date Festival where the guy uses the vegi-matic is INSANE!

The Shamwow spokesman was pretty good too.

1% to 6%, get ready to pay up bitchez, you're footing the bill. GV doesn't give a flying fuck about you, nor does the city of Indio.

OMG... $18 extra per ticket.. that's sooo much! Rabble rabble rabble

bitch whine moan
    2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012b, 2013a, 2014a

Well, we already had a price increase this year, so that would make ANOTHER price increase next year. FUck that.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by microcuts View Post
    OMG... $18 extra per ticket.. that's sooo much! Rabble rabble rabble

bitch whine moan
    Maybe the cost would be deferred to ticketholders, but the point was this guy was trying to tax a company that already was being extremely helpful to the local economy and is about to make a huge local purchase which would then feed more form their pockets via property tax and extra $4 million. This wouldn't have a been a tax on US, but a tax on GV.
    last.fm
    6/15/14 Failure - Glasshouse // 7/9/14 Cloud Nothings/Metz - Roxy
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL
    9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Exactly. Stupid to punish a company that brings millions into the community by taxing them more than they already are.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

It's a recession: fuck everyone else's money

ITT: A bunch of anti-tax teabaggers

Quote Originally Posted by seitron View Post
    Someone posted an article on these forums (possibly more than one article) discussing how Goldenvoice was purchasing the Great Park in Irvine for the specific purpose of holding music festivals, and how it has a capacity much larger than Coachella.
    you need to work on your reading comprehension skills. nowhere does it say GV is buying the great park, just that they were planning to put on some shows there.
    Let's go on a livin' spree!

Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.