Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Indio Councilman Sam Torres wants to tax Coachella out of existance

Angry Indio Councilman Sam Torres wants to tax Coachella out of existance

Will tax push chase away shows?

12:12 AM, Jun. 19, 2012
    Written by Erica Felci, The Desert Sun

Council members fear peer's initiative spurring promoter to rethink land buy

Goldenvoice is rethinking its plans to buy 280 acres in Indio — including the Eldorado Polo Club — amid talk that city residents could implement a tax on the music festival tickets.

Negotiations over the purchase, unveiled in March, haven't been scrapped.

But two City Council members familiar with the negotiations said Monday that the Los Angeles- based promoter that puts on the wildly successful Coachella and Stagecoach music festivals is now hesitant to make such a financial commitment in the desert.

A big part for the reservations, the council members said, is Indio Councilman Sam Torres' effort to implement a 6 percent ticket tax on future Goldenvoice productions.

“It's falling apart,” Indio Glenn Miller, who is in regular contact with both the music promoter and land owners, said of the property deal.

“Once they purchase property, they're here to stay. Their business isn't polo. Their business is entertainment. I'm sure (the tax proposal) is weighing very heavily on them.”

Goldenvoice's plans to purchase land in Indio was seen as a way to ensure the Coachella Music and Arts Festival, launched in 1999, would remain here indefinitely.

If the deal falls through, Miller and Mayor Pro Tem Elaine Holmes said they're concerned it opens the door for another community to try and secure the popular concerts for a different venue.

“There's competition for this,” Holmes said. “Other venues are very eager to support this concert. We always want to be aware this could be a possibility.”

Goldenvoice Vice President Skip Paige declined to discuss the land negotiations Monday.

“I'm not going to comment on any speculation,” Paige said. “It's a private matter.”

Paul Tollett, Goldenvoice president and co-founder of Coachella, has always insisted the desert atmosphere is an integral part of the festival's success.

“Once you hit the windmills, the festival starts,” Tollett has previously told The Desert Sun.

The idea of taxing tickets to the multi-day, multi-stage music festivals — which draw 50,000 to 75,000 people a weekend — has been quietly discussed for some time.

But it really took off in late May, when Torres began championing a plan that would add about $18 to every concert ticket.

Torres' plan hasn't gotten any support from his council colleagues, so Torres is now trying to get enough resident signatures so he can put it on the November ballot.

If approved, Torres believes it could generate about $4 million for the city — a notable increase from the $830,000 that the city currently makes off of the ticket sales and camping sites.

Torres downplayed the idea of Goldenvoice leaving the desert as “saber rattling.”

“Obviously, that's a corporate decision for them. They're going to go to where they can make the most money,” he said. “I hate to think it's a punishment to the city of Indio because we're asking the question.”

It's not publicly known how long Goldenvoice is contractually obligated to stay in the desert.

The promoter has a long-term lease with the Empire Polo Grounds, but the terms have never been disclosed.

Last year, Indio officials negotiated a two-year contract that allowed the promoters to expand Coachella to two consecutive weekends.

The deal ends after the 2013 concerts, but Miller and Holmes hope the city can ink at least a 10-year deal after that and further solidify their partnership.

“We're hoping we can work with them to come up with a positive solution,” Miller said. “We will be a willing partner.”

Whether Goldenvoice will move forward with such a commitment if the land purchase falls through is the big unknown.

But Indio City Manager Dan Martinez said he doesn't think the property purchase is a make-or-break part of the producer's commitment to the desert.

“The dialogue we're having with Goldenvoice is very positive,” Martinez said of the early talks for a long-term deal.

“They've been here a decade and a half almost without buying it. They don't have to buy it in order to remain here for another decade.”

The proposed land purchase includes lots between Avenues 50 and 52 and Monroe and Madison.

Goldenvoice also consolidated the 200-acre Eldorado Polo Club, which sits on property owned by 19 individuals, with land from Triangle Bear Farms, Fish Creek and land owned by Glen Holden, former U.S. ambassador to Jamaica.

The land has been used for camping sites and parking during the April concerts.

The actual stages are set up on the neighboring 175-acre Empire Polo Club.

It was not disclosed how much Goldenvoice was paying for the land, which would provide opportunities for smaller concerts or wine and jazz festivals.

Officials did say Eldorado club's members still will be allowed to have equestrian events on the property during the polo season, from January to March.

Eldorado general manager Jan Hart said she was not aware of any snags in sale negotiations.

A message left for the property owners wasn't returned Monday.

“At the end of the day, Goldenvoice didn't feel like they had the total support for their presence here in Indio,” said Holmes, who has had contact with Goldenvoice's top officials.

“There was enough of an issue made (with the tax plan) that Goldenvoice wasn't comfortable with the level of commitment. It's certainly not the way I feel about it.

“Having Goldenvoice in our city, it's a tremendous benefit to Indio and the Coachella Valley. I'm very sorry that this potential purchase is in jeopardy.”

Next year's Coachella concerts will again be over two consecutive weekends in April. The first batch of passes sold out in two hours, but additional tickets are expected to go on sale after the lineup is announced.

Stagecoach: California's Country Music Festival is traditionally the following weekend.

Torres said he didn't think the tax idea would be a breaking point in the land deal since it's a tax on concert-goers and not the corporation itself.

He said he's reached out to Goldenvoice several times in recent months to no avail.

“It's not meant to be a punitive thing against Goldenvoice. We're not dipping into Goldenvoice's pocket,” Torres said.

“This is not greed. This is not anything against them. It's survival for the city of Indio.”

thestripe

Default Re: Indio Councilman Sam Torres wants to tax Coachella out of existance

“This is not greed. This is not anything against them. It's survival for the city of Indio.”

Give me a fucking break.

I don't understand how they can be so short-sighted. What's the economic impact of thousands of people coming to the city for three consecutive weekends and spending money on everything? Surely it's more than $4 million.

Prick

It's a new age of Coachella anyway. Move it to a bigger venue that will let it run late into the night.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

"Survival of the city of Indio". Most laughable thing I'll read today. Doesn't this idiot realize that the $830,000 the city gets is only what is being paid directly to the city? Do they not realize the millions upon millions of dollars the local businesses rake in each year because of this festival--and how much they stand to lose if they decide to move it elsewhere?
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

We're not dipping into Goldenvoice's pocket?
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

Dear Mr. Sam Torres:

Fuck you, and here's why:
    Any additional money that I have goes toward planning/usage of this trip to the festival; I would rather not be taxed, than give up more of my cash. It seems to me that somehow, someway, this increase in tax will benefit you, more than anyone else that you "claim" to represent. This is just like the proposed tax increase on the homeowners that decide to earn extra income by kindly renting out there place to individuals for the weekend.
    Kindly choke on a donkey dick.
    Thank you in advance & smooches,

Nyarl.
    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Smooches. =)

In a normal world, state and local governments offer tax breaks to large-scale events and productions that pump money into the local economy (which is, itself, taxed).

This all reminds me of The Simpsons where Mayor Quimby invents all sorts of ludicrous taxes to bleed out the Hollywood producers shooting a movie in Springfield. "Uh, there's a $1000 leaving town tax!"
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

Anyone who has been to Coachella for the last 10 years have seen that town evolve from a dirt clump with a few gated communities to South Orange County. They have a Costco, SAMs club and Walmart next door to each other for fucks sake.

How about they just leave it alone for once?

Also interesting how 2013 could be end of weekend 2 if it doesn't go well...

^Serious-ly. i love the Polo Fields and would be terribly saddened if Coachella was moved, but year after year of hearing about these political shake downs makes me wish GV would say "fuck off" and let them go back to the way they were before the festival.

Nothings going to happen. The end.

I've seen it develop drastically and I haven't been going for 10 years. My first year was 2008.

These people should be appreciative. Sure they have to deal with some bullshit for a month out of the year, but look at how much the festivals contribute to the local economy.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    It's a new age of Coachella anyway. Move it to a bigger venue that will let it run late into the night.
    Does such a place exist in the valley?

it's like the los angeles angels of anaheim.

we could have the coachella valley music and arts festival of bakersfield.

Bakersfield = MethChella

That is the biggest horse shit statement I've ever read.

Fuck it! Just move it to the new Gv owned field in Irvine.
    Coachella Vet. 03,05,07,08,09,10,11,12,13,and 14

Quote Originally Posted by ElBlueblazer View Post
    what field did they buy?

Have they made an official windmill t-shirt?

Quote Originally Posted by ElBlueblazer View Post
    Coachella would die once it passed the windmills.

complete moron

AscencionTorres@yahoo.com

Doesn't he know that the only true and correct way for the city to balance it's budget is to slash spending and get it's deficit under control? You don't want to push out the job creators with tax increases. Everyone knows that.

If anything, Ascencion should be trying to give tax breaks to Goldenvoice so they will buy the land.
    Last edited by theresalwaysone; 06-19-2012 at 04:42 PM.

Any magic that might be lost by leaving the polo fields wouldn't compare at all to the magic of a bigger one weekend only festival at their bigger Great Park site. I say ditch the polo fields
    Quote Originally Posted by bdb23 View Post
    but dude, these guys are talking about wizards piss, they're already in danger mode.

Irvine would never allow a fest the size of Coachella. Paul has also mentioned that getting away from the big city is a big part of Coachella.
    Last edited by JustSteve; 06-19-2012 at 08:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    Irvine would never allow a fest the size of Coachella. Paul has also mentioned that getting away from the big city is a big part of Coachella.
    Someone posted an article on these forums (possibly more than one article) discussing how Goldenvoice was purchasing the Great Park in Irvine for the specific purpose of holding music festivals, and how it has a capacity much larger than Coachella.
    Quote Originally Posted by bdb23 View Post
    but dude, these guys are talking about wizards piss, they're already in danger mode.

They're not going to move the festival to a new location.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

Quote Originally Posted by seitron View Post
    Any magic that might be lost by leaving the polo fields wouldn't compare at all to the magic of a bigger one weekend only festival at their bigger Great Park site. I say ditch the polo fields
    Do you move your lips when you read, dummy?
    "Well, that's just like, you know... your opinion, man"

Quote Originally Posted by seitron View Post
    STFU

Quote Originally Posted by ArcadeParade View Post
    He used to work for our company as a sub contractor. He loves attending the festival and would praise it all the time saying how much he loved it(he started going in '07). Now hes a city council man and he wants to tax concert goers, c'mon Sam calmate or im going to have a lil sit down with you chief!

Nothing will happen so just calm down people