Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tell us about 2012 FYF bands

Default Re: Tell us about 2012 FYF bands

Check their RA podcast. This is one of my favorite tracks of theirs.

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

I have a bunch of unreleased T&W goodies. Will check to see if I can share.

RBMA has a few live recordings ... http://redbullmusicacademyradio.com/shows/4085/
    Last edited by Ross1492; 06-18-2012 at 01:36 PM.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

TURBONEGRO is an on-again off-again gay party rock/stoner rock punk band from Norway. They play super-singalong stoney riffed tongue in cheek rock songs and have a super flamboyant live show featruing lots of nearly naked ugly dudes running around like maniacs, often wearing capes.

Their 1996 song "Denim Demon" became a European stoner rock anthem

While their comeback album Scandinavian Leather in 2002 was really their breakout hit

They recently returned with their first record in 5 years, Sexual Harassment, with new singer former Dukes of Nothing frontman Tony Sylvester, and it is fantastic!

last.fm
    4/5/14 - Trentemoller - Fonda // 4/9/14 - The Knife - Fox Theater Pomona // 4/22/14 - Dillinger Escape Plane - Glasshouse// 5/23/14 - 5/26/14 Punk Rock Bowling - Las Vegas
    5/28/14 - Elbow - Wiltern // 7/9/14 - Cloud Nothings - Roxy // 8/25/14 - Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    Comments about she left the movie feeling bad and she one of those girls that fuck in the ass to saving her Vagina intercourse for marriage.

CONVERGE is a metalcore band, oft-compared to Dillinger Escape Plan and the like because of their frenetic playing and changing time signatures, but their sound is much less jazz-influenced, technical, and refined, and instead go for a much more disparate, chaotic sound. To me, a lot of their best work sounds like the end of the world - dark, disconnected, full or rage and misery. Vocalist Jacob Bannon is also the main artist for the band, and his album covers, -t-shirt and posters lead a similar visual representation of this darkness and desperation. Their live show is completely captivating, and even if their recorded work doesn't thrill everyone (Bannon's vocals can be especially off-putting), they have an incredible ferocity on the stage that can be appreciated by most.

Here's a select track from most of their albums:
    Petitioning The Empty Sky

When Forever Comes Crashing

jane Doe

You Fail Me

No Heroes

Axe To Fall
    last.fm
    4/5/14 - Trentemoller - Fonda // 4/9/14 - The Knife - Fox Theater Pomona // 4/22/14 - Dillinger Escape Plane - Glasshouse// 5/23/14 - 5/26/14 Punk Rock Bowling - Las Vegas
    5/28/14 - Elbow - Wiltern // 7/9/14 - Cloud Nothings - Roxy // 8/25/14 - Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl

Comments about she left the movie feeling bad and she one of those girls that fuck in the ass to saving her Vagina intercourse for marriage.

A.A. BONDY makes dark, brooding, twangy folk music, not unlike Ryan Adams' more depressing works. His compositions are lush and sprawling, and his lyrics are poetic and perfect for drinking whiskey too. Last year's Believers took his work even darker paths.

Last edited by Drinkey McDrinkerstein; 06-18-2012 at 02:33 PM.
    last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    They are so fucking awesome live. new singer is great too. I'll do a write up later.
    This is what confuses me. Does the new singer still do old stuff? or only new material?

KING KHAN AND THE SHRINES is an insanely entertaining, drug-addled psychedelic/soul/garage act, whose recorded material cannot live up to the absolute absurdity of their live performances. it's a throwback band front by a total lunatic who parades around in a cape and mask and really like to get naked on stage. He generally performs with a huge band, and it seems logistically impossible to watch them play and not dance your ass off like a moron the entire time.

Last edited by Drinkey McDrinkerstein; 06-18-2012 at 02:33 PM.
    last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by swhite423 View Post
    This is what confuses me. Does the new singer still do old stuff? or only new material?
    He joined the band in 2011, presumably to record the new album...I have no idea if they've toured or performed live with him yet. I would imagine they would perform some of their classics, but who knows. The new album is good enough that I'd be happy with a set of just songs from it, though.
    last.fm

THE PAINS OF BEING PURE AT HEART make indie pop music with their feet planted firmly somewhere in the '80s. Their sound is almost bubblegum in delivery, but the lyrical content can get almost downright heartbreaking and depressing.

Their first self-titled LP was very fuzzed out and shoegaze-inspired

While the second full-length, 2010's Belong] has a much cleaner sound and production, though the intent remains mostly the same.

last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    He joined the band in 2011, presumably to record the new album...I have no idea if they've toured or performed live with him yet. I would imagine they would perform some of their classics, but who knows. The new album is good enough that I'd be happy with a set of just songs from it, though.
    Oh awesome! I haven't got a chance to listen to it yet, but I'm glad its good!

Chromatics

Long-running Portland-based Italo disco revival meets lo-fi indie rock project, spearheaded by creative mastermind Johnny Jewel, and featuring vocalist Ruth Radelet. Deeply hypnotic music; Jewel is a master of taking three or four notes of a catchy synth or guitar piece and carrying it out over a rhythmic beat for minutes on end.

Released a series of singles and eps throughout the 2000s, culminating in the excellent 2007 LP Night Drive. The band's sensibility can be distilled from two very different tracks from that album, a haunting, minimalist cover of an iconic Kate Bush song, and the pulsating menace of "Tick of the Clock":

After a long hiatus (punctuated by a very prominent appearance on the soundtrack to 2011's Drive), the band released their four-years-in-the-making opus Kill for Love earlier this year. Stream the whole album here.

Quote Originally Posted by sk8r408 View Post
    The word "lulzy" is offensive.

Fucked Up are the shape of punk to come. They started as an incredibly strong and prolific hardcore punk band with a manic lead singer (using the name Pink Eye) and great songs. Then, they put out their first 12" release, Looking For Gold, a long song with a whistling solo, a hidden song inside the spirals of the vinyl, and a 12 minute run time. Since then, they've looked to push the boundaries of hardcore in as many ways as possible. They release yearly singles based on the Chinese calendar that always contain a song longer than 10 minutes, they have guest vocalists from such non-hardcore acts as Cults, The City and Colour and Kurt Vile and the Violators, they put out a 16-track hardcore opera, complete with libretto and meta singles.

Oh, and they're incredible live. Damian (Pink Eye) riles up the crowd and has some great antics, and Mike Haliechuk (10,000 Marbles, main guitarist and songwriter) leads the band through huge sounding songs. If you're interested in the best music that punk has to offer, check them out.

Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Refused are the forebears of Fucked Up. They started (like Fucked Up) as a strong hardcore band. They had a few really good, if stereotypical, hardcore albums, toured a ton, and something happened. They put out The Shape of Punk to Come, one of the most forward-thinking and expectation-crushing punk albums ever released. They took the hardcore format and infused it with electronic, jazz, world and post-rock qualities. The performances were tighter, more focused and more intense, and the songs were better written. Very few bands actually took them up on the experimental ideals, and they flamed out on the US tour supporting the album, but they came back in fine form at Coachella this year. They put on a spectacular show, with the singer being very physical and active on stage and the band as tight as you'd hope.

Didnt see Chairlift in the initial lineup. Been bumpin "Something" a lot this year.

AGAINST ME! is a punk rock band that originally had its musical roots deeply anchored in folk/country music. Over the past few records they've developed a much bigger pop/rock direction, complete with huge singalong choruses. They're a total blast live and tend to respect their entire catalog.

last.fm

This is why I watch this message board. I saw the lineup for FYF today and the top two lines immediately took my head off but the talent is so deep for this one. Thank you for sharing the videos above, I'm grazing around and each act is fucking cooler than the last culminating in Chromatic's' Running Up That Hill. I will seriously have kittens right there in the dust if they live up to that performance. See you there.

Wheels Of Cheese

Black Dice

Every Samurai needs a Sensei, and Animal Collective's Sensei during their formative years was Black Dice. I don't think anyone could have seen the influence of their music slowly seep it's way into popular indie radio, in the early 2000's when they were first making the rounds. They have also released music on DFA, and are mentioned in the Snobdom national anthem "Losing my Edge". I can't really do anything to accurately explain the music with my ruddy commonspeak.

Yea I think a lot of men think they are bad ass, but a 12 year old with a AK can take me out I know ...... cr****

FIDLAR is a Los Angeles-based garage punk group. Delightfully raucous with hints of post-teenage crassness, FIDLAR's snarky brand of Southern California poppy hardcore owes a great deal to the Orange County scenes of yore — and, oddly enough, two of the band's members have a father in TSOL. The LA outfit's debut LP will be released later this year on Mom + Pop Records.

Mosh pit inducing party anthems like “Wake Bake Skate” and “Max Can’t Surf” possess the same tongue-in-cheek humor and imagery as Black Flag’s “TV Party”; it’s an apt connection for a band that lists “El Pollo Loco” and “Cheap Beer” as its interests online. The instrumentation begs a serious look, too, as FIDLAR skillfully blends surfy drums and sing-along hooks with raging, sludgey guitar riffs.

A touch of “angry young male” ennui peppers FIDLAR’s tracks just as much as references to marijuana and skateboarding — but the band’s California boredom feels less like a marketing ploy and more like an authentic manifestation of FIDLAR’s observations on Southland living.

Disclaimer: I know the FIDLAR dudes, and they're probably some of the craziest (and nicest) people in the LA scene right now.

Prematurely claiming Desaparecidos and Cloud Nothings (+ maybe Ceremony). Computer is acting up, but can do later.

Papa is an indie rock band from Los Angeles, formed by ex-Girls drummer, Darren Weiss. I can't even really place a finger on their sound, other than their distinct guitar riffs and solid rhythm. Their EP is really good, and they are great live. They are going to be a really good early day set.

???

Kat, you can summarize Cloud Nothings in eight words: I THOUGHT. I WOULD. BE MORE. THAN THIS.
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8r408 View Post
    The word "lulzy" is offensive.

Cloud Nothings: listen to the new album. They WILL sound exactly like that live. Thank Steve Albini for effectively capturing the live power of a band.

Gold Panda creates luscious soundwaves that pull you into spaces that move easily from chill to something warmer - "Marriage" lent itself to excellent remixes by his fellow electronic wizards, Baths, Star Slinger and Forest Swords:

He and King Khan make this line-up for me (and they couldn't be more different).
    SLC Summer so far:
    7/11 Liars
    7/12 Raphael Saadiq 7/19 Nas
    7/29 Star Slinger 8/2 MMJ
    8/9 Passion Pit/Austra
    8/16 Iron & Wine 8/23 DeVotchKa
    8/30 Common/Aloe Blacc

too many videos. calm down people.
    This ain't no middle of the mall shit.

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    For Linkin Park this is kind of embarrassing, but this song would be great live if you just wanna have fun and grind on a girl.
    Diarrhea Planet 2015

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Cloud Nothings: listen to the new album. They WILL sound exactly like that live. Thank Steve Albini for effectively capturing the live power of a band.
    This excites me soooooo much. I've fallen in love with that record.

Yeah dude, I saw them at the Echo and they were just excellent. Kat can probably attest to the fact that I made like a 14 year old in the mosh pit.

Quote Originally Posted by LickTheLizzard View Post
    too many videos. calm down people.
    I'm keeping the first post updated. That's probably the best place to go, then you can see who has been reviewed. But yeah, the loading is an issue.

LIGHTNING BOLT

Abrasive, disorientating, violent, and above all else LOUD. Imagine your favorite jazz drummer completely coked out, screaming nonsense into what sounds like a telephone receiver while a down tuned bass drenched in overdrive growls and laughs maniacally. They've been known to opt for the floor of a venue rather than playing on the stage, at times even setting up during the opener and launching an aural assault the second that band ends. Some may call it noise. Judge for yourself, here's the hit single Dracula Mountain from 2003's Wonderful Rainbow.

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    I'm keeping the first post updated. That's probably the best place to go, then you can see who has been reviewed. But yeah, the loading is an issue.
    Very helpful, thank you.
    This ain't no middle of the mall shit.

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    For Linkin Park this is kind of embarrassing, but this song would be great live if you just wanna have fun and grind on a girl.
    Diarrhea Planet 2015