Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tell us about 2012 FYF bands

Default Tell us about 2012 FYF bands

Because they got (in my mind) the best lineup of the year.

Click here for a list of bands with links to board member descriptions if you have trouble loading tons of youtubes.
    Last edited by bmack86; 06-19-2012 at 03:43 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

thestripe

Default Re: Tell us about 2012 FYF bands

No kidding.

Aesop Rock can rap better than you. That's okay: he can rap better than all of your friends too, so you don't have to feel too bad. Aesop was one of the Def Jux guys blowing up underground hip hop in the late 90s/early 2000s. He runs in the same circle as El-P, Atmosphere, Mr. Lif and others of that ilk, guys who like booming beats, abstract lyrics and difficult flows. Aesop, for my money, had the most esoteric lyrics and the most interesting voice of the Def Jux crew. Float and Labor Day are both insanely good albums from front to back, and Daylight is one of the best songs from the 2000s. He's got a new album coming out soon, his first since 2007, and I can't wait to hear it. He's a fantastic live performer, so if you like underground hip hop he's one to check out.

Guess I'll repost this in here...
    Red Cross (aka Red Kross) is playing and you should be fucking pumped. They were one of the seminal hardcore bands to come out of LA's south bay in the late 70s/early 80s. They are led by brothers Steve and Jeff McDonald. More recently, you may recognize Steve as the bassist from OFF!. Recently, they have been performing their album Born Innocent and Posh Boy EP in their entireties but also have a new album set to release later this summer. I'm really excited.

Dinosaur Jr. were expected to be huge, but good luck getting J. Mascis to do anything you want him to. They were the expected saviors of rock when the 90s sprang (Teen Age Riot by Sonic Youth was originally called J. Mascis for President), as the original lineup of J., Lou Barlow and Murph put out a good debut and two wickedly strong albums that were both forward-thinking developments of hardcore and catchy as hell. Instead, J. kicked Lou out and pushed Murph to the back. Still, time heals old wounds, and they got back together in the mid 2000s. They've put out two more wickedly strong albums, which means that exactly two reunion bands have actually made their second go-around worthwhile (Mission of Burma being the other.) They do booming alternative guitar rock (they, as much as Pixies and Husker Du, can really lay claim to the whole style) with a Neil Young/Crazy Horse bent, and J. is a guitar god. If you haven't seen them before, expect VOLUME and great guitar solos. They never disappoint live.

Quote Originally Posted by rag and bone View Post
    Guess I'll repost this in here...
    Redd Kross were so much fun at Coachella 2008. Definitely one to catch.

Wheelchair Epidemic hawkingvsreeve's Avatar

I did a write-up of Cursive's discog here.
    Quote Originally Posted by obzen View Post
    Giant. Fucking. Bjork. Buttons.
    last.fm

Who is Tiger & Woods?

DJ Harvey is one of the best DJs to rock a pair of turntables, at least if you care about fun over form. I'd say if you catch one dance act, make it him, but he does live in LA and plays pretty regularly from what I've heard, so maybe just see a full set from him some time.

Is there anything on this lineup that's outright terrible? Even though I won't be going, the solidness of just about everything I do recognize makes me want to check out the things I don't.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

Quote Originally Posted by Tubesock Shakur View Post
    Who is Tiger & Woods?
    I'm assuming this isn't sarcasm? They've been majorly blowing up the past year. Disco edits.

Saving fikus the trouble:

Quote Originally Posted by fikus222 View Post

Tycho is the music project of San Francisco artist and producer Scott Hansen. As Tycho, Hansen blends swirling melodies into vaguely triumphant arcs that crisscross between stuttering beats and vocal samples, creating rolling sonic landscapes that extend into the horizon.

Known in the design world as ISO50, Hansen is famed for his bucolic, sun-drenched design style, which serves as a backdrop and mirror for his musical output.

Hansen began his electronic-music career with 2002’s The Science of Patterns EP , which was followed in 2004 by his first full length, Sunrise Projector. The critical acclaim continued in 2006 with the release of Past Is Prologue on Miami-based IDM imprint Merck records. Ghostly International met Scott Hansen in 2007, and like everybody else, simply had to work with him.

In 2008, Tycho received a nod as one of URB magazine’s “Next 100” artists to watch. Since 2007, Tycho, with great care, released sun-drenched, melodic singles for the 3 years, honing his sound and collaborating with even more live instrumentation. In 2011, his meticulous process sees the release of Dive. The wait has been well worth it.

http://tychomusic.com/

http://blog.iso50.com/

http://ghostly.com/artists/tycho

Tycho is my favorite IDM producer/performer. I also have several of his shirts and posters. I've seen him live 7 times and each show is better than the last. Check him out, you will not be disappointed.
    Absolutely incredible at Sasquatch. Happy I get to see him again so soon.

NIN/Soundgarden/ - 8/14 - Austin 360
    Woods - 8/20 - Holy Mountain
    Jamie xx - 8/27 - The Mohawk
    Little Dragon - 8/31 - Moody Theater
    Ty Segall - 9/5 - The Mohawk
    Seth Troxler - 9/5 - Vulcan Gas Company
    Black Lips/King Khan & BBQ Show - 9/12 - J. Lorraine Ghost Town

I'm not overly familiar with the bottom two lines, but the only band I wouldn't really care to see on the rest of the lineup is Turbonegro. Paul Banks too I guess.

Really? I've always wanted to catch Turbonegro. Seems like a ridiculously fun time.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    I'm assuming this isn't sarcasm? They've been majorly blowing up the past year. Disco edits.

No sarcasm. Who are they really? Dudes thought they would have been recognized by now. Been in the game since 93 as solo djs.

Kishi Bashi is like a Japanese Owen Pallett, in that it features a lot of looped violin. It has more of a Eastern feel to it however. Some of it sounds like Wes Anderson movie soundtracks. I shouldn't say it, as it is one guy, but you get what I mean. The music is pretty cool; lots of layering and things of that nature. A good early day thing to check out.

Last edited by hawkingvsreeve; 06-18-2012 at 10:45 AM.
    last.fm

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Really? I've always wanted to catch Turbonegro. Seems like a ridiculously fun time.
    They are so fucking awesome live. new singer is great too. I'll do a write up later.
    last.fm
    6/15/14 Failure - Glasshouse // 7/9/14 Cloud Nothings/Metz - Roxy
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL
    9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by Tubesock Shakur View Post
    No sarcasm. Who are they really? Dudes thought they would have been recognized by now. Been in the game since 93 as solo djs.
    They play live frequently without masks or anything. I'd imagine their cover has been blown if anyone really cares.

Tiger & Woods are an awesome house DJ duo. They have a lot of killer remixes out there.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkingvsreeve View Post
    Kishi Bashi is like a Japanese Owen Pallett, in that it features a lot of looped violin. It has more of a Eastern feel to it however. I shouldn't say it, as it is one guy, but you get what I mean. The music is pretty cool; lots of layering and things of that nature. A good early day thing to check out.

Ooooh. Did you listen to I Break Horses yet, Brandon?

EDIT* Bmack, update the first post with links as we go along? Makes it easier to navigate.
    Last edited by Gribbz; 06-18-2012 at 10:47 AM.

NIN/Soundgarden/ - 8/14 - Austin 360
    Woods - 8/20 - Holy Mountain
    Jamie xx - 8/27 - The Mohawk
    Little Dragon - 8/31 - Moody Theater
    Ty Segall - 9/5 - The Mohawk
    Seth Troxler - 9/5 - Vulcan Gas Company
    Black Lips/King Khan & BBQ Show - 9/12 - J. Lorraine Ghost Town

Warpaint is an experimental rock band from LA. These four lovely ladies really know how to play. They have been playing together for some time but they didn't really start to put themselves out there until 2008. They are a really good live act that you don't want to miss out on. What makes them unique is that when you see them live you can tell they are on the same page musically. What I also think is cool is how they don't rely on just chords when they write music, they just seem to play whatever just sounds right to them. I'm not a good writer so just listen.

I have not. You should do a little blurb for them in here.

Edit:

That Tiger & Woods track is pretty funky.
    last.fm

I did a huge post on Walter Walter Schreifels early on in thew hardcore thread, which includes Gorilla Biscuits, QUICKSAND, and Rival Schools I would have hard time talking about Quicksand without mentioning the other bands, so i'll just post the link to that post (there's a lot of videos in it, so i won't just muddy up this thread). Anyway, they are definitely a band to see if you can.

http://www.coachella.com/forum/showt...=1#post2064347
    last.fm
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL

Quote Originally Posted by Gribbz View Post
    Tiger & Woods are an awesome house DJ duo. They have a lot of killer remixes out there.

Ooooh. Did you listen to I Break Horses yet, Brandon?

EDIT* Bmack, update the first post with links as we go along? Makes it easier to navigate.
    I'll endeavor to do that once a day, at the end of the day.

Baroness are a Georgia based sludge metal band, and are pretty rad. If you like the sound from their contemporaries (Mastodon, Kylesa, Black Tusk, Torche, Red Fang) you will likely enjoy them. A lot of their music has a very triumphant feel to it. Something you can raise a fist to with your bros, nah mean? They scream CHEEEEEEEEECK into the mics for their soundchecks. Humorous.

last.fm

Baroness are also about to unleash an epic double album, from which i am sure a lot of their set will be focused.
    last.fm

Moonface is a side project by Spencer Krug (of Wolf Parade, Swan Lake, Sunset Rubdown, and Frog Eyes). The guy is a genius. He likes to sing about fairytale themes, like dragons and whatnot. I've been waiting for years to see Krug perform in any of his projects, but it has never worked out for me. My most anticipated set of FYF thus far, ignoring the discoveries I will be making in the next few days.

Father John Misty. Amazing.

Joshua Tillman. Was former drummer of Fleet Foxes but went on to do his solo stuff, Father John Misty. If you live in LA Joshua will be playing drums tonight for free at The Satellite in Silverlake. (Monday June 18)

This lineup is so solid, and with tickets being priced at $77 it's a steal.

Chairlift are a synthpop duo from Boulder by way of Brooklyn consisting of Caroline Polachek and Patrick Wimberly. They used to be a trio that included Aaron Pfenning, but he left after the debut album when he and Caroline stopped dating and he moved on to his new project, DFA label act Rewards. They had a song in an iPod nano (or was it a mini?) commercial a few years ago from their debut album. That song was essentially boring. At one point they all played at an Australian festival topless, earning some internet coverage. I mostly forgot they even existed. Then they released this song last summer:

They signed to Columbia and released their second album early this year. Blowing away my expectations (which had increased on the strength of "Amanaemonesia"), it turned out as one of the better pop albums of the last several years, mining a ton of my favorite sounds of the '80s without ever lapsing into lazy pastiche:

Hey, like Tears for Fears?

How about a-ha?

Oh, and to their immense credit (and unlike a lot of their "chillwave" peers), these guys have the musical chops to pull of stripped down versions of their stuff:

Saw them live in March, and can happily report that they are a very good live act, and that Caroline is a charming and engaging frontwoman.
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

I'm really enjoying these Tiger & Woods tracks. I like that disco-ish kind of shit, so.
    last.fm

whoa. liked this one from the ra top 50.

so this is going to be at fyf?

ok I'm in...