Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
Results 211 to 240 of 265

Thread: Fiona Apple -- The Idler Wheel

  1. #211
    Coachella Junkie Mugwog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    6,666

    Default Re: Fiona Apple -- The Idler Wheel

    Shut the fuck up Amy.

    Get smelly proof bags and a vacuum sealer. Have your bus driver know what routes have routine stops and which ones don't.

    Fucking amateurs.

  2. #212
    Coachella Junkie Alchemy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Space
    Posts
    9,113

    Default Re: Fiona Apple -- The Idler Wheel

    Quote Originally Posted by faxman75 View Post
    One of the stories I read said she was stopped at an "interior check point".
    Because i'm tired. Here is what wiki says about them.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    So if you're close to the border you can be stopped and searched for things that HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH BORDER SECURITY.
    I've gone through this infamous check point many times. It separates El Paso from the rest of Texas, which I believe is why it is there. I think the idea is that they might catch whatever the actual border check points missed, since a great deal of all the drugs in the United States first make their way through El Paso/Juarez.

    I know somebody who has had to stay in their little holding cell. But I've never had that kind of problem. Although, there have been a few times when they were being ultra-vigilant and slowing down traffic. And I mean spending like a minute or more with each damn car, where the line stretches for about 50 cars. It's a stupid checkpoint.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

  3. #213
    Milkshake suprefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Burbank CA
    Posts
    43,938

    Default Re: Fiona Apple -- The Idler Wheel

    Quote Originally Posted by Mugwog View Post
    Shut the fuck up Amy.

    Get smelly proof bags and a vacuum sealer. Have your bus driver know what routes have routine stops and which ones don't.

    Fucking amateurs.

    Prob willie nelsons driver.

  4. #214
    Peaceful Oasis TomAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Zenith, Winnemac
    Posts
    41,040

    Default Re: Fiona Apple -- The Idler Wheel

    And never been through that stretch of West Texas. I-10 is the only east-west paved road in 50 miles in either direction.

  5. #215
    Coachella Junkie faxman75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    The murder capital where we murder for capital
    Posts
    27,915

    Default Re: Fiona Apple -- The Idler Wheel

    At least Jesse Ventua will take a stand. He mentions the interior check-points too.


  6. #216
    Peaceful Oasis TomAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Zenith, Winnemac
    Posts
    41,040

    Default Re: Fiona Apple -- The Idler Wheel

    Quote Originally Posted by HowToDisappear View Post
    There are at least six Border Patrol checkpoints in San Diego County, exclusive of the three actual border crossings. If we take the freeway (instead of the backroads) out to our favorite county desert campground, we could conceivably be stopped twice, without being anywhere near the border. At first they were casual about it, and it was strange being stopped, but it didn't seem all that intrusive. When the day came that they came to our windows demanding to know where we were going, wearing flak jackets and carrying assault rifles, we were like WTF? And on later trips, when they starting demanding to know our citizenship, and the citizenship of our children, that's when we were like what the hell country are we living in? It's ridiculous, and I'm sick of it. And yes, god help you if you've got any contraband and they have dogs; they will nail you to the wall.
    You're my age, you remember what it was like growing up in the Cold War. As kids in school we were taught that the Soviet Union was bad because their people were not free, and one of the most common examples given was the restriction on travel within the country. My family would take road trips, we would drive from Ohio to Florida or something, and my dad would say "Now imagine what it would be like if the army stopped us along the way and made us show our papers. That's what the Soviet Union is, kids." But that's precisely what the US is turning into.

  7. #217
    Coachella Junkie faxman75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    The murder capital where we murder for capital
    Posts
    27,915

    Default Re: Fiona Apple -- The Idler Wheel

    But only the darker skinned Americans have to do that Tom. Not us.

  8. #218
    zeezus amyzzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Arizzzona
    Posts
    41,067

    Default Re: Fiona Apple -- The Idler Wheel

    Fiona Apple has dark skin?
    Quote Originally Posted by concertgoer View Post
    You better stop because he can shut down this message board with one call.

  9. #219
    Milkshake suprefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Burbank CA
    Posts
    43,938

    Default Re: Fiona Apple -- The Idler Wheel

    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Fiona Apple has dark skin?
    Her bus driver was

  10. #220
    Member HowToDisappear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Back of Beyond
    Posts
    2,217

    Default Re: Fiona Apple -- The Idler Wheel

    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    You're my age, you remember what it was like growing up in the Cold War. As kids in school we were taught that the Soviet Union was bad because their people were not free, and one of the most common examples given was the restriction on travel within the country. My family would take road trips, we would drive from Ohio to Florida or something, and my dad would say "Now imagine what it would be like if the army stopped us along the way and made us show our papers. That's what the Soviet Union is, kids." But that's precisely what the US is turning into.
    It's genuinely appalling. We're sliding down the slippery slope, and I don't know how to stop it.


    And Faxy, don't count on it. My husband's whiter than white (I'm not dark-skinned either, but I have dark hair/eyes/ambiguous ethnicity). They'll still demand to know your comings and goings and have that AK at the ready if needed, for added emphasis.
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    See that guy in the background talking loudly about crab cakes? That's you.

  11. #221
    Peaceful Oasis TomAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Zenith, Winnemac
    Posts
    41,040

    Default Re: Fiona Apple -- The Idler Wheel

    Either you people can't read, or you've not met HTD in person. She's about as white as white gets.

  12. #222
    old school HotHamWater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    A thematic narrative
    Posts
    2,698

    Default Re: Fiona Apple -- The Idler Wheel

    I guess the checkpoint just north of Las Cruces never bothered me, even though you occasionally see people with guns there. I never had anything illegal on me, so they never had a reason to detain or hassle me.

  13. #223
    Member HowToDisappear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Back of Beyond
    Posts
    2,217

    Default Re: Fiona Apple -- The Idler Wheel

    That's not the point. We never carry anything illegal either. We're about as harmless as they come. But if we decide we'd like to go camping in a place we've camped a million times, in a county in which we were born and raised, and we've broken no laws and committed no crimes, what right have they to question our right to be there and travel where we please on open, public roadways? It's insane. (When they took a long, hard look at our daughters, who were home at the time for winter break from college, and questioned their citizenship, my hackles were completely raised. And the girls? They were stunned.)

    Last winter we popped up to Idyllwild, and they'd added a checkpoint to the 79 (a very beautiful and remote backcountry road) south of the Riverside County line, and all we could say to ourselves was "OH FUCKING HELL... REALLY???" Of course, when the border patrol agent stopped us and asked where we were going, we cheerily replied, "Idyllwild", when what we really wanted to say was "well, that's really none of your fucking business, is it?... because last I heard, this was a free country." But that would be the wrong answer, and getting snippy with a federal agent is never a good idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    See that guy in the background talking loudly about crab cakes? That's you.

  14. #224
    Coachella Junkie
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    13,131

    Default Re: Fiona Apple -- The Idler Wheel


  15. #225
    old school Mr. Fuzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    theFUZZHOUSE
    Posts
    3,028

    Default Re: Fiona Apple -- The Idler Wheel

    Damn! So that's the law, huh?
    Last edited by Mr. Fuzz; 09-21-2012 at 03:00 PM.
    fuckin' with the lights on

  16. #226
    Coachella Junkie Miroir Noir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Zip City
    Posts
    7,549

    Default Re: Fiona Apple -- The Idler Wheel

    Yep. The two questions that will end most police encounters are 1) "am I free to leave?" and 2) "if I am not free to leave, do you have probable cause for detaining me?"
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

  17. #227
    old school HotHamWater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    A thematic narrative
    Posts
    2,698

    Default Re: Fiona Apple -- The Idler Wheel

    Quote Originally Posted by HowToDisappear View Post
    That's not the point. We never carry anything illegal either. We're about as harmless as they come. But if we decide we'd like to go camping in a place we've camped a million times, in a county in which we were born and raised, and we've broken no laws and committed no crimes, what right have they to question our right to be there and travel where we please on open, public roadways? It's insane. (When they took a long, hard look at our daughters, who were home at the time for winter break from college, and questioned their citizenship, my hackles were completely raised. And the girls? They were stunned.)

    Last winter we popped up to Idyllwild, and they'd added a checkpoint to the 79 (a very beautiful and remote backcountry road) south of the Riverside County line, and all we could say to ourselves was "OH FUCKING HELL... REALLY???" Of course, when the border patrol agent stopped us and asked where we were going, we cheerily replied, "Idyllwild", when what we really wanted to say was "well, that's really none of your fucking business, is it?... because last I heard, this was a free country." But that would be the wrong answer, and getting snippy with a federal agent is never a good idea.
    No, I understand. I'm probably the one with the problem because I should care more. I just always answered the questions and went on my way. I never felt violated or anything.

  18. #228
    old school Mr. Fuzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    theFUZZHOUSE
    Posts
    3,028

    Default Re: Fiona Apple -- The Idler Wheel

    Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post
    Yep. The two questions that will end most police encounters are 1) "am I free to leave?" and 2) "if I am not free to leave, do you have probable cause for detaining me?"
    What if I say "no" but they want me to walk the line or take a breathalizer after?
    fuckin' with the lights on

  19. #229
    Member HowToDisappear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Back of Beyond
    Posts
    2,217

    Default Re: Fiona Apple -- The Idler Wheel

    I checked the ACLU's website, and you are only compelled by law to answer questions by the Border Patrol at the border or in an airport. So you can refuse at these checkpoints. I am certain it would be a drawn out, unpleasant experience, and they'd probably run your plates and put your name on some "non-compliant" list somewhere but.... WHOO-HOO.


    And Tommy, I really do feel it's a violation every time it happens. It worries me that an entire generation is growing up to believe this is normal and acceptable.
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    See that guy in the background talking loudly about crab cakes? That's you.

  20. #230
    Coachella Junkie faxman75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    The murder capital where we murder for capital
    Posts
    27,915

    Default Re: Fiona Apple -- The Idler Wheel

    Using a drug sniffing dog at an interior immigration check point is illegal. Here are some court cases you can read on the matter.

    City of Indianapolis V Edmond, US V Martinez-Fuerte, US V Ortiz and US V Brignoni-Ponce.

    Also there are plenty of youtube videos of people purposely challenging these check points and often these agents have no choice but to let the people go and they use the two questions Miroir Noir suggests above.


  21. #231
    Coachella Junkie Alchemy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Space
    Posts
    9,113

    Default Re: Fiona Apple -- The Idler Wheel

    Fiona was fantastic tonight!
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

  22. #232
    Coachella Junkie Miroir Noir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Zip City
    Posts
    7,549

    Default Re: Fiona Apple -- The Idler Wheel

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Fuzz View Post
    What if I say "no" but they want me to walk the line or take a breathalizer after?
    That depends on the context. You always have the right to remain silent and to not answer incriminating questions or to perform incriminating tests. But there's no guarantee that your silence, rightly or wrongly, will prevent your arrest.

    Also to note: in Pot's video above, I'm not certain that the subject's refusal to answer questions would have resulted in nearly as favorable of a result if he had smelled of booze or demonstrated obvious physical signs of impairment.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

  23. #233
    Peaceful Oasis TomAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Zenith, Winnemac
    Posts
    41,040

    Default Re: Fiona Apple -- The Idler Wheel


  24. #234
    Coachella Junkie Mugwog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    6,666

    Default Re: Fiona Apple -- The Idler Wheel

    Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post
    Also to note: in Pot's video above, I'm not certain that the subject's refusal to answer questions would have resulted in nearly as favorable of a result if he had smelled of booze or demonstrated obvious physical signs of impairment.
    Yeah the person in the video sounded very sober and aware of the situation. I've been at check points before and been asked the same thing. Had my car reeking of weed too, but this is California, officer asked me if I had smoked any weed and I said, "Nope". He gave me a dirty look and let me go, he knew he couldn't get shit for weed in CA.

    I wonder how many people have attempted that strategy impaired though....

  25. #235
    Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    9,490

    Default Re: Fiona Apple -- The Idler Wheel

    the drama continues...

    Quote Originally Posted by Officer Rusty Fleming
    First, Honey, I’m already more famous than you, I don't need your help. However, it would appear that you need mine....

    Two weeks ago nobody in the country cared about what you had to say, -- now that you’ve been arrested it appears your entire career has been jump-started. Don’t worry Sweetie, I won't bill you...

    Next, have you ever heard of Snoop, Willie or Armand Hammer? Maybe if you would read something besides your own press releases, you would have known BEFORE you got here, that if you come to Texas with dope, the cops will take your DOPE away and put YOU in jail...

    Even though you and I only met briefly in the hallway, I don't know you but I'm sure you're an awesome and talented young woman and even though I'm not a fan of yours, I am sure there are thousands of them out there, and I’m sure that they would just as soon you get this all behind you and let you go back to what you do best—so my last piece of advice is simple "just shut-up and sing."

    Sincerely

    Rusty Fleming

    December 31 - Matthew Dear/The Sword/Pallbearer
    January 30 - Behemoth
    February 3 - Zola Jesus
    February 6 - Sleep
    February 28 - A Place To Bury Strangers
    April 6 - Swans
    April 10-12 - Coachella
    April 17 - Clark/Nosaj Thing
    May 8-10 - Austin Psych Fest
    May 15-17 - Psycho California
    June 24-28 - Glastonbury

  26. #236

    Default Re: Fiona Apple -- The Idler Wheel

    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    the drama continues...
    The fuck is that about? Douchebag party of one, your table is ready
    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Smooches. =)
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Shut it down.

  27. #237
    Coachella Junkie algunz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Rustin' in Tustin
    Posts
    21,635

    Default Re: Fiona Apple -- The Idler Wheel

    What the hell is that from?

  28. #238
    The Encyclopedia bmack86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bishop, CA
    Posts
    28,627

    Default Re: Fiona Apple -- The Idler Wheel

    That guy really needs to get disciplined. That is most definitely not acceptable behavior for a police officer in a criminal matter. I'm glad she released the letter, even if it might cause an old, fire-and-brimstone judge and the police department in the area to look less favorably on her than they already probably are.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

  29. #239
    Coachella Junkie Miroir Noir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Zip City
    Posts
    7,549

    Default Re: Fiona Apple -- The Idler Wheel

    Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    What the hell is that from?
    The local sheriff!

    Who apparently lacks access to a spokesperson, civil attorney, or common sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

  30. #240
    Coachella Junkie Miroir Noir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Zip City
    Posts
    7,549

    Default Re: Fiona Apple -- The Idler Wheel

    Lololol wait. This was the spokesperson.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

Similar Threads

  1. FIONA APPLE
    By mchertron in forum Music Lounge
    Replies: 66
    Last Post: 03-22-2013, 02:34 PM
  2. Fiona Apple
    By shotglass75 in forum Rumors/Gossip/Wish List
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 06-19-2012, 07:59 PM
  3. Fiona Apple?
    By daftpunked in forum Rumors/Gossip/Wish List
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-23-2012, 12:49 AM
  4. Could this mean a late Fiona Apple add?
    By NoGwenPlease in forum Rumors/Gossip/Wish List
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 01-30-2012, 01:38 PM
  5. Fiona Apple
    By faxman75 in forum Rumors/Gossip/Wish List
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 12-16-2007, 12:36 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •