Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 265

Thread: Fiona Apple -- The Idler Wheel

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    11,892

    Default Fiona Apple -- The Idler Wheel

    Yeah I'm making a whole thread just for this album. Fuck the overall Fiona thread, I want to talk about this and this specifically.

    It's hard for me to explain how much I love this woman. She's easily the best female vocalist of our generation and her lyrical talents are equaled only by the true greats of all time. As a thoroughly "male" personality, there's something that always draws me in about great female songstresses almost more than any man can in that I'm more impressed by an artist who can make me identify with a part of the human condition that I feel so inherently distant from. When I listen to her words and the passion with which she sings them it makes me feel like I know the plight of every crazy woman I've ever known and loved.

    What are everyone's favorites? Thus far, Jonathan, Left Alone, Werewolf, Periphery and Anything We Want are just killing me. Hot Knife to me feels like her just demonstrating to the world what a fucking genius of harmonies and lyrics and singing she is. Can't wait to see if she tries to pull it off live and what it would sound like.
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

  2. #2
    old school Somewhat Damaged's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    5,319

    Default Re: Fiona Apple -- The Idler Wheel

    I've only listened to a few tracks on the NPR stream so I won't be able to opine until Tuesday. Do you have tickets to see her on this tour?
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    It's like finding out an old high school buddy is on meth, and you're not sure if any of the rumors of him giving handies behind Burger King are true but they very likely could be.

  3. #3
    Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    11,892

    Default Re: Fiona Apple -- The Idler Wheel

    Quote Originally Posted by Somewhat Damaged View Post
    I've only listened to a few tracks on the NPR stream so I won't be able to opine until Tuesday. Do you have tickets to see her on this tour?
    Yeah, Palladium. Can't wait, though I wish it was The Wiltern or somewhere else with seats. Saw her at Largo recently and I was amazed how cheerful she seemed.
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

  4. #4
    Member RedHotSgtPeppers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Edmond, OK
    Posts
    1,651

    Default Re: Fiona Apple -- The Idler Wheel

    Quote Originally Posted by miscorrections View Post
    It's really boring when people use this thread to post about their successes.
    Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    ...... hey im not posting anything in here about half raptor half alligator people

  5. #5
    old school ods..'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    5,248

    Default Re: Fiona Apple -- The Idler Wheel

    I love it so much. Her voice sound stronger than ever and the songs are complex and mysterious... I love the sparse percussion and piano melodies interracting with Fiona's voice... Favorite songs have to be Valentine, Jonathan, and Left Alone, but I've found myself muttering wow to nearly every song on the record. Easily could be my top record of the year when everything is said and done.

    Though I disagree with her being the "best female vocalist of our generation" she is definitely in the running. Obviously this isn't a thread for that discussion.

    If Coachella doesn't book Fiona this year they are seriously fucking up. I need her to have Outdoor sunset. Needs to happen.
    Last edited by ods..; 06-17-2012 at 08:37 PM.

  6. #6
    Coachella Junkie algunz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Rustin' in Tustin
    Posts
    21,429

    Default Re: Fiona Apple -- The Idler Wheel

    I really like Left Alone, but I've only listened to the song once.

  7. #7
    Member GolfWang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,768

    Default Re: Fiona Apple -- The Idler Wheel

    Thread is necessary. Fiona is a straight up soul singer in my eyes and probably the best songwriter around right now. I think "Werewolf" is my favorite, with "Hot Knife" and "Every Single Night" right behind it. There aren't any bad songs on here.

  8. #8
    old school ods..'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    5,248

    Default Re: Fiona Apple -- The Idler Wheel

    Quote Originally Posted by GolfWang View Post
    Thread is necessary.


    There aren't any bad songs on here.
    Yes.

  9. #9
    Coachella Junkie malcolmjamalawesome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    In A Beautiful Place Out In The Country
    Posts
    16,495

    Default Re: Fiona Apple -- The Idler Wheel

    In the Misc Lounge? I recommend The True Death.
    Quote Originally Posted by ruetheday View Post
    I don't fucking care. I don't even know who the hell Dave Wang is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

  10. #10
    Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    11,892

    Default Re: Fiona Apple -- The Idler Wheel

    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    In the Misc Lounge? I recommend The True Death.
    I refused to post anywhere but the Misc Lounge during the newb invasion of 2008 and I'm keeping it that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

  11. #11
    Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    11,892

    Default Re: Fiona Apple -- The Idler Wheel

    Adding youtubes and my favorite lyrical excerpts:



    Jonathan



    Left Alone--a serious masterpiece for her particular niche.

    And now i'm hard, too hard to know
    I don't cry when i'm sad anymore, no no
    Tears calcify in my tummmy
    Fears go inside the bottle
    How can i ask anyone to love me
    When all i do is beg to be left alone

    Oh and i tried to love
    And i can love the same man and the same bed and the same city
    But not in the same room it's a pity but
    Oh
    It never bothered me before
    Not til this guy
    What a guy
    Oh god what a good guy
    And i can't even enjoy him
    Cause i'm hard, too hard to know
    Oh i don't cry when i'm sad anymore, no no
    Tears calcify in my tummy
    Fears go inside the bottle
    How can i ask anyone to love me
    When all i do is beg to be left
    When all i do is beg to be left
    When all i do is beg to be left
    Alone
    I actually originally heard the lyric as "how can I expect anyone to love me when I all do is beg to be loved," which I actually think is a better line but what can you do. The things she does with her voice on the "tears calcify" part is just gorgeous.



    Werewolf--wow does this shit ever remind me of a lot of the carnage I've left in my wake unintentionally with women. One of her best choruses ever:

    But you were such a super guy til the second you get a whiff of me
    We are like a wishing well and a bolt of electricity
    But we can still support each other
    All we got to do is avoid each other
    Nothing wrong when a song ends in the minor key
    Nothing wrong when a song ends in the minor key


    Anything We Want--this whole song makes me think of being a teenager again when the cute shit you do trying to get laid is still sweet and optimistic and it's all nice memories of going pool hopping and shit like that. Just reposting the lyrics doesn't really do justice to how well they play out in her intonations through the course of the song:

    Let's pretend we're 8 years old playin' hookey
    I'll draw on the wall and you can play UFC rookie
    Then we'll grow up and take our clothes off
    And you remind me that I wanted you to kiss me
    When we find some time alone

    And then we can do anything we want
    And then we can do anything we want
    And then we can do anything we want
    And then we can do anything we want
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

  12. #12
    Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    11,892

    Default Re: Fiona Apple -- The Idler Wheel



    Good call on Valentine, I'd forgotten about it. So lovely. Possibly her best lyric work in a classical sense. Right up there with Etta, Billie, any black chick ever.

    You didn't see my valentine
    I sent it via pantomime
    While you were watching someone else
    I stared at you and cut myself

    Its all ill do cause i'm not free
    A fugitive too dull too flee
    I'm amorous but out of reach
    A still life drawing of a peach

    I'm a tulip in a cup
    I stand no chance of growing up
    I've made my peace i'm dead i'm done
    I watched you live to have my fun

    I root for you, i love you
    you you you you

    I made it to a dinner date
    My teardrops seasoned every plate
    I tried to dance but lost my nerve
    I cramped up in the learning curve

    I'm a tulip in a cup
    I stand no chance of growing up
    I'm resigned to sail on through
    In the wake of tales of you

    I root for you, i love you
    you you you you
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

  13. #13
    Peaceful Oasis TomAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Zenith, Winnemac
    Posts
    40,897

    Default Re: Fiona Apple -- The Idler Wheel

    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Right up there with Etta, Billie, any black chick ever.
    I would agree with this if Etta James ever had a lyric as fucking stupid as "I'm amorous but out of reach".
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

  14. #14
    Coachella Junkie Miroir Noir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Zip City
    Posts
    7,378

    Default Re: Fiona Apple -- The Idler Wheel

    P4K score: over/under 9.0? For better or (likely) worse, it will drive a lot of commentary on this album. We'll know in about a half hour.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

  15. #15
    Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    11,892

    Default Re: Fiona Apple -- The Idler Wheel

    Pitchfork will give it like a 7.2 I guess. I fucking hate Pitchfork. Far as I'm concerned, it's already album of the year.
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

  16. #16
    Coachella Junkie Miroir Noir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Zip City
    Posts
    7,378

    Default Re: Fiona Apple -- The Idler Wheel

    I actually think they're gonna come in big on this, the ultimate indie reclaimation project. And it will bring in an audience that otherwise wouldn't pay attention to this release.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

  17. #17
    Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    aquabania
    Posts
    17,533

    Default Re: Fiona Apple -- The Idler Wheel

    i love this album as well. she's matured a lot since when the pawn. her softest voice is strong. she glides effortly through the notes. i don't know all the song names yet, but i'm a fan. i'm sick of seeing comments about her wweight. she's always been skinny, shut the fuck up and/let the beautiful bitch sing.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

  18. #18
    Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    11,892

    Default Re: Fiona Apple -- The Idler Wheel

    You're actually counting on Pitchfork to give a good review to an actually good album?
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

  19. #19
    Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    11,892

    Default Re: Fiona Apple -- The Idler Wheel

    They only gave When The Pawn an 8 and the Jon Brion version of Extraordinary a 7.8, which should each be at least a point higher.
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

  20. #20
    Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    11,892

    Default Re: Fiona Apple -- The Idler Wheel

    Etta didn't really strive for any interesting wordplay in her lyrics either though. It was basically just all about love, fairly monosyllabic, etc. Also I don't see what's so stupid about that lyrics. It's a nice dichotomy. I want to kiss you but don't fucking touch me. That's kinda the essence of what makes Fiona so good--she encapsulates that.
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

  21. #21
    Peaceful Oasis TomAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Zenith, Winnemac
    Posts
    40,897

    Default Re: Fiona Apple -- The Idler Wheel

    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Etta didn't really strive for any interesting wordplay in her lyrics either though. It was basically just all about love, fairly monosyllabic, etc. Also I don't see what's so stupid about that lyrics. It's a nice dichotomy. I want to kiss you but don't fucking touch me. That's kinda the essence of what makes Fiona so good--she encapsulates that.
    What's stupid is that it doesn't make any sense. "I want to kiss you but don't fucking touch me"? Who says that sort of thing? In what context?

    Also why should I give a shit about some prima donna rock star complaining/confessing/bragging that she is 'out of reach'?

    Also 'amorous' is just a clumsy word to use when talking about yourself. "I want to kiss you but don't touch me" would be a better lyric.

    I know it's just one line but it's poorly crafted IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

  22. #22
    Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    11,892

    Default Re: Fiona Apple -- The Idler Wheel

    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    What's stupid is that it doesn't make any sense. "I want to kiss you but don't fucking touch me"? Who says that sort of thing? In what context?

    Also why should I give a shit about some prima donna rock star complaining/confessing/bragging that she is 'out of reach'?

    Also 'amorous' is just a clumsy word to use when talking about yourself. "I want to kiss you but don't touch me" would be a better lyric.

    I know it's just one line but it's poorly crafted IMO.
    Who says that sort of thing? Emotionally damaged people, dipshit. And to dismiss her feelings because she's a "prima donna rock star" is such bullshit. Why don't we just write off every sentiment of loneliness that any famous artist has ever made on the same grounds? She can't be dysfunctional because she's a rock star?
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

  23. #23
    Peaceful Oasis TomAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Zenith, Winnemac
    Posts
    40,897

    Default Re: Fiona Apple -- The Idler Wheel

    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Who says that sort of thing? Emotionally damaged people, dipshit. And to dismiss her feelings because she's a "prima donna rock star" is such bullshit. Why don't we just write off every sentiment of loneliness that any famous artist has ever made on the same grounds? She can't be dysfunctional because she's a rock star?
    Look at how upset you're getting!

    It's a bad lyric. Even good songwriters get lazy sometimes. Sorry if that offends you.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

  24. #24
    Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    11,892

    Default Re: Fiona Apple -- The Idler Wheel

    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Look at how upset you're getting!

    It's a bad lyric. Even good songwriters get lazy sometimes. Sorry if that offends you.
    Calling it a bad lyric is one thing. Dismissing it because she's not entitled to feeling a certain way because she's a "prima donna rock star" is however not fucking allowed when you're talking about someone who's clearly demonstrated her talents and capabilities for expressing heart-rending contradictions inherent in the nature of humanity. It might not be a great lyric in your estimation, but it yearns to express something a little more intricate and nuanced than "I want a sunday kind of love," even though that message might be more concise and therefore easy to digest.
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

  25. #25
    Coachella Junkie
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    13,131

    Default Re: Fiona Apple -- The Idler Wheel

    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    What's stupid is that it doesn't make any sense. "I want to kiss you but don't fucking touch me"? Who says that sort of thing? In what context?

    Also why should I give a shit about some prima donna rock star complaining/confessing/bragging that she is 'out of reach'?
    .
    Your opinions are bad and you should feel bad.

  26. #26
    Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Brentwood, CA
    Posts
    6,190

    Default Re: Fiona Apple -- The Idler Wheel

    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    What's stupid is that it doesn't make any sense. "I want to kiss you but don't fucking touch me"? Who says that sort of thing? In what context?
    buffalo66-08.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

  27. #27
    Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    DTLA, CA
    Posts
    21,394

    Default Re: Fiona Apple -- The Idler Wheel

    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    UGH
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

  28. #28
    Coachella Junkie Miroir Noir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Zip City
    Posts
    7,378

    Default Re: Fiona Apple -- The Idler Wheel

    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

  29. #29
    old school ods..'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    5,248

    Default Re: Fiona Apple -- The Idler Wheel

    Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post
    Well, will you look at that. Nice one, Miroir

  30. #30
    Banned marooko's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    In your mouth!
    Posts
    19,687

    Default Re: Fiona Apple -- The Idler Wheel

    I was just thinking about Fiona a few days ago and was hoping she would release a new album soon. I'm not up on my pop-culture so I don't know if its release had been discussed. I'm 3 tracks in and thoroughly pleased.

Similar Threads

  1. FIONA APPLE
    By mchertron in forum Music Lounge
    Replies: 66
    Last Post: 03-22-2013, 01:34 PM
  2. Fiona Apple
    By shotglass75 in forum Rumors/Gossip/Wish List
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 06-19-2012, 06:59 PM
  3. Fiona Apple?
    By daftpunked in forum Rumors/Gossip/Wish List
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-22-2012, 11:49 PM
  4. Could this mean a late Fiona Apple add?
    By NoGwenPlease in forum Rumors/Gossip/Wish List
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 01-30-2012, 12:38 PM
  5. Fiona Apple
    By faxman75 in forum Rumors/Gossip/Wish List
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 12-16-2007, 11:36 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •