Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Stones - Glastonbury 2013 and a handful of shows in UK & USA

old school

Default Re: Stones - Glastonbury 2013 and a handful of shows in UK & USA

Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee View Post
    One press report had the Coachella talent budget at $30m, both weekends. Top 4 headliners getting a rumoured $12 m total.

Stones are getting $5m or so per performance in 2012. It be 6-7 million for both weekends to get them, which is in line with Prince and Macca.
    so $15 for each weekend, in the must sell two wknds year of Radiohead and Dr Dre & Snoop Dogg..sounds about right.

i lost faith in them at 12-12-12..but they are performing live on ppv tomorrow night, hopefully Coachella didn't make a huge mistake. If it's still the stones i saw in 2005/6, will be a good show, but not giving u any leeway on the other two headliners..
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    Daft Punk will unveil its third member, Crush.

If true, I would like to recommend lip synching.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

Wait, so this rolling stone writer thinks he is doing something intelligent and forward thinking by doing what this board and cos does by putting rumors/tour dates etc into one place? So what "predictions" is this guy making by looking at what info is avail and pretending he thought of it hinself before anyone else?

Regarding the talent budget, I do wonder if the cost of booking the Stones or any other headliner of that caliber can be offset by increased advertising/marketing revenue.
    Arcade Fire - Santa Barbara Bowl, Aug. 4
    Spoon - Hollywood Forever Cemetary, Aug. 8
    Paul McCartney - Dodger Stadium, Aug. 10
    First Aid Kit - Wiltern, Nov. 12
    Coachella - Empire Polo Field, April 17-19

Rolling Stones rumor excites Coachella Music Festival fans

11:33 PM, Dec 14, 2012 Written by Bruce Fessier, The Desert Sun

The rumor that the Rolling Stones could play Coachella in April would not fade away Friday afternoon.

Rolling Stone magazine’s website reported early Friday that two new dates had appeared under the tour section of the legendary band’s mobile app. One was an April 12 performance in Indio listed as “Coachella 2013.” The other was a documentary titled, “The Rolling Stones: The Ron Wood Years” screening Dec. 27 at the Cinema Arts Centre in Huntington, N.Y.

Fans posted a screengrab of the Coachella date on Twitter and various fan sites, but by 7:30 a.m., the date was taken down.

MORE COACHELLA: Click here for complete coverage of the Coachella Music Festival, including photo galleries and stories from 2012.

An email query to Coachella founder Paul Tollett seeking confirmation was not returned by press time.

But Spin.com confirmed the Stones documentary will screen Dec. 27 at the Cinema Arts Centre.

Many expensive headliners have performed at Coachella over the years, including Paul McCartney, Radiohead, Roger Waters and Coldplay. But, the last time Coachella lost money was in 2008 when Tollett’s Goldenvoice company added Prince to a lineup that included headliners Waters, Jack Johnson and Portishead.

Tollett often scoffed at rumors that the high-priced Stones would play Coachella. One unconfirmed report to The Desert Sun speculated that the group might be seeking a share of the concessions to play the 2013 festival.

But the addition of a second weekend of the 2012 Coachella brought an infusion of cash to Tollett and Goldenvoice’s parent company, AEG Live. Coachella will run on consecutive weekends again in 2013.

A Thursday afternoon post on the message board on Coachella.com from a commenter called Bumblebee cited a “press report” that Coachella’s talent budget is $30 and that the top four headliners get “a rumored $12 million total.

“Stones are getting $5 million or so performance in 2012,” said Bumblebee. “It be 6-7 million for both weekends to get them, which is in line with Prince and Macca.”

A commenter called Gaypalmsprings said on the website Friday afternoon, “I really thought the Stones were going to play last year after news broke out a while back about contracts with the band and Coachella. Would love to see them live.”

The Stones have scheduled only a limited number of performances in England and the United States in celebration of their 50th anniversary, but Rolling Stone cited an October interview with guitarist Keith Richards saying, “We ain’t doing all this for four gigs!”

The Coachella Music and Arts Festival is scheduled to run April 12-14 and April 19-21 at the Empire Polo Club in Indio. The acts are usually announced around the third weekend in January.

Contact Bruce Fessier at bruce.fessier@the desertsun.com and on Twitter @brucefessier

http://www.mydesert.com/article/2012...102/312140007/
    Last edited by gaypalmsprings; 12-15-2012 at 09:13 AM.

They also cited Bumblebee though...
    Arcade Fire - Sir Richard Bishop, Bill Orcutt - Spoon - Paul McCartney - Steve Gunn - Beserktown Fest - Slint - Sleep - Swans - Owen Pallett - Neutral Milk Hotel - Chris Thile & Edgar Meyer - Bobby Bradford Quartet - Matana Roberts - Wadada Leo Smith, Anthony Braxton - Thurston Moore, Sebadoh - Songs for Unseen Warhol Films - Ben Frost, Tim Hecker, Pete Swanson - Ryoji Ikeda - Slowdive - A Winged Victory for the Sullen - John Zorn Marathon

I didn't cite my source correctly, and I didn't provide that quote. I just sent an email of apology to Bruce. The link to the quote is http://blog.pe.com/audio-file/2012/1...es-top-lineup/

haha I just found that article online and came running in here to see if anyone posted it yet.

Bumblebee a legit source, confirmed.

I wonder if they even realized your name gaypalmsprings, or just glazed over it.

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    Many expensive headliners have performed at Coachella over the years, including Paul McCartney, Radiohead, Roger Waters and Coldplay.
    why is coldplay one of the four headliners they chose to name?

old school

Quote Originally Posted by IceyHotshot View Post
    They also cited Bumblebee though...
    I don't know what to think.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...rooklyn-366790
    These $$ quotes are bigger than mine and from better sources. PPV and Brooklyn are not included.

$ numbers for Mcacrtney Chella, Prince Chella and Eminem Lolla have been published by news outlets but always anonymous sources. There was an interesting article from Australia citing promoters throwing money at headliners to make the flight. Then there's the Morrissey $5m single weekend coachella Smiths reunion quote...

The $12 mil number comes from estimates and other posts on the forum. Same with $30m total talent budget, which is in line with a confirmed $54m total ticket gross.

Quote Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
    Bad news folks, I just got word this isn't going to happen.

This pretty much confirms it then: the Stones are playing!

I say they will play Coachella, and they will up the admissions by 10,000 per weekend to help defer the costs. But then who am I to say, I'm no Bumblebee.

old school

i have my doubts about the Stones now, having seen their performance at 12-12-12, but they're on ppv tonight i believe, so we should be finding out shortly whether or not coachella made a big mistake.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    I say they will play Coachella, and they will up the admissions by 10,000 per weekend to help defer the costs. But then who am I to say, I'm no Bumblebee.
    you don't think an $50 or so increase in ticket prices defers those costs at all?

here is an interesting link to the Stones Official App that for the past week fans have been using the app to vote for which songs they were going to play last night on ppv. lends more credence to the app leak being from their official people and not a glitch.

also, has anybody seen last night's ppv?? i'm really interested in finding out if they sucked or not.
    Last edited by nbvcide; 12-16-2012 at 07:55 AM.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by nbvcide View Post
    here is an interesting link to the Stones Official App that for the past week fans have been using the app to vote for which songs they were going to play last night on ppv. lends more credence to the app leak being from their official people and not a glitch.
    Though crossed my mind that the Coachella leak by the Stones for added PPV exposure was intentional. Their 3-4 NYC area appearances obviously got overshadowed by all the 121212 stuff.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by InDaGreen View Post
    Regarding the talent budget, I do wonder if the cost of booking the Stones or any other headliner of that caliber can be offset by increased advertising/marketing revenue.
    GV can afford them, but it might mean a couple fewer awesome mid-tier acts.

Coachella being relatively free of advertising seems to be one fo the very few self imposed GV rules they refuse to break. GV openly welcome the corparate advertising orgy at Stagecoach.

old school

GV can afford them, but it might mean a couple fewer awesome mid-tier acts.

Coachella being relatively free of advertising seems to be one fo the very few self imposed GV rules they refuse to break. GV openly welcome the corparate advertising orgy at Stagecoach.
    while i agree that the huge Toyota Tundra banner across Mane Stage. and turning the Gobi into the ABC/SoapNet tent, with the rest of the tent being massages. and instead of the Energy Factory (which i hate, for sound bleed reasons, put it back into the a/c'd tent) they have a green-screen get your picture taken with Brooks & Dunn sponsored by Toyota....the Heineken labels on all advertising, the beer gardens, and the dome is the same equivalent imo.

and like i've said before, if it means fewer awesome mid-tier acts, then i'm not on board. if they can raise the funds to cover the Stones cost without marginalizing the talent budget for the remainder of the festival, then fine. that money could be spent better elsewhere. i think the Stones are cheaper than ever before this time around, and as a businessman Paul probably wants to jump on that.

it will sell out (it would have anyway, without the Stones) and it will be Oldchella FARRRRR more than in '09 with Macca. the only hope will be it selling out to chella fans so quick, Stones fans won't have time to buy tickets. But Stones fans ARE the ones that can afford all those high-priced scalper tickets that went unsold this year. So it will be more crowded than wknd1 this year.
    Last edited by nbvcide; 12-16-2012 at 06:59 AM.

old school

and like i've said before, if it means fewer awesome mid-tier acts, then i'm not on board. if they can raise the funds to cover the Stones cost without marginalizing the talent budget for the remainder of the festival, then fine. that money could be spent better elsewhere. i think the Stones are cheaper than ever before this time around, and as a businessman Paul probably wants to jump on that.

it will sell out (it would have anyway, without the Stones) and it will be Oldchella FARRRRR more than in '09 with Macca. the only hope will be it selling out to chella fans so quick, Stones fans won't have time to buy tickets. But Stones fans ARE the ones that can afford all those high-priced scalper tickets that went unsold this year. So it will be more crowded than wknd1 this year.
    Here's the lowest boxscore I could find with a quick glance of some 2006 dates. All of the 2012 shows probably did over $5m each. Stones shows are now a very finite resource, with limited cities and no full tours(I think it'll be more like McCartney/Prince tours) and no crazy over the top stage.

The Rolling Stones
    Alltel Arena
    North Little Rock, Ark.
    March 9, 2006
    $2,132,400
    $350, $60
    Concert Productions International/The Next Adventure

I'm curious if the lack of single day tickets and all the parking/hotel/heat/3 day hassles will scare away Stones hardcore. I also wonder about if there are other dates in that part of the world.

The $12 mil number comes from estimates and other posts on the forum.
    $2 million is pretty standard pay for top headliners at virtually all major American festivals, including Coachella. That's $6 million for the top 3 at your typical single-weekend festival. Whether Coachella pays double for two weekends, and what their total budget is, I don't know. Assume $12 mil for the top 3 over two weekends. The Stones appear to get about $6M/show, at least on this current run. Assume Coachella's paying for two shows. That's their whole headliner budget on a single act in which many of their core demographic have no particular interest.

Oh, and logic aside, they aren't playing anyway, so I can advise that all this time you and I are expending is wasted.

old school

dammit bumblebee, if you're going to be the source for legitimate press you can't go changing your opinion just because you saw some new figures. it makes it difficult for me when i try to quote you lolz

but, for the record, North Little Rock Arkansas is not the same thing as only LA-area appearance.
    Last edited by nbvcide; 12-16-2012 at 07:21 AM.

old school

dammit bumblebee, if you're going to be the source for legitimate press you can't go changing your opinion just because you saw some new figures. it makes it difficult for me when i try to quote you lolz
    I only brought up Little Rock to go against your claim of them playing for "cheap". GV has some pull with the Stones because the group wants exposure to a younger audience - see Gaga and Black Keys guest spots this week.

They cant sustain NYC/London prices as that drew from fans worldwide and were aggressively promoted.

GV has some pull with the Stones because the group wants exposure to a younger audience
    You know what the Stones want? No, you don't know anything. All of these rationales you come up with are of your own estimation/invention, and they are typically wrong.

The Stones are not playing Coachella.

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

No one is going to call nbv on his '$80 ticket increase' bullshit?
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

old school

I only brought up Little Rock to go against your claim of them playing for "cheap". GV has some pull with the Stones because the group wants exposure to a younger audience - see Gaga and Black Keys guest spots this week.

They cant sustain NYC/London prices as that drew from fans worldwide and were aggressively promoted.
    i only used the word 'cheap' because you made a solid claim two weeks ago to me in this thread that they aren't selling like they were in '05/'06, the last time they toured. you specifically said several NYC-area shows didn't sell out. If your opinion has changed due to the emergence of this year's numbers, cool.

LA can sustain NYC/London prices.

Coachella is a heavy promotion in itself, and draws attendees from around the world.

They are announcing several more dates in the coming year. I think it would be a full tour, but they are too old to play that many dates. and i predict they don't announce the new reunion dates until after Coachella's lineup is announced. Is the only reason to not announce them, festival dates being many of them perhaps. Bonnaroo i could see getting them as well.
    Last edited by nbvcide; 12-16-2012 at 07:56 AM.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by heart cooks brain View Post
    No one is going to call nbv on his '$80 ticket increase' bullshit?
    you're right, the new ticket price is fee inclusive. so what $50?

get off my dick and quit begging others to do your work for ya in every thread. if you don't have the balls to do it yourself, then shut the fuck up.

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

I believe i just did it.

My surprise was re: your post standing unquestioned over night.

Lastly, i believe the price increase was between $13 and $35 depending on when you purchased your ticket last year. Really, its been discussed ad nauseum, and i really shouldn't have to bring it up at all.
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

old school

Though crossed my mind that the Coachella leak by the Stones for added PPV exposure was intentional. Their 3-4 NYC area appearances obviously got overshadowed by all the 121212 stuff.
    i don't buy it... the ppv was world wide, as was the 12-12-12 show. if the leak was only about ppv sales, they could have played another song or two at the benefit and gotten far more exposure than a rollingstone.com article.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by heart cooks brain View Post
    I believe i just did it.

My surprise was re: your post standing unquestioned over night.

Lastly, i believe the price increase was between $13 and $35 depending on when you purchased your ticket last year. Really, its been discussed ad nauseum, and i really shouldn't have to bring it up at all.
    Okay, NOW you have done what you claimed to have done.

and it wasn't up overnight, i posted it two hours ago.

what's that amount times two weekends? sorry for saying they are earning $15-35 times two, instead of saying $15-35 times 65,000. what the fuck ever.
    Last edited by nbvcide; 12-16-2012 at 08:10 AM.

i don't buy it... the ppv was world wide, as was the 12-12-12 show. if the leak was only about ppv sales, they could have played another song or two at the benefit and gotten far more exposure than a rollingstone.com article.
    They only played 2 songs at the benefit for the same (partial) reason they have guests on stage for the same reason Mick was out of breath after singing one song at the White House a few months ago for the same reason they aren't doing a full tour anymore - they're 70 years old.

When they play the West Coast, it's going to be at a time, in a (likely indoor) place, and on a stage of their choosing, at prices (including merch and concessions deals) of their choosing, and before an audience composed primarily of adoring superfans already well familiar with the material and ready to lap up pretty much anything they play, not a bunch of snotty twentysomethings who might fuck off to see some EDM act after three songs.

The Stones are not playing Coachella (or Bonnaroo). Fact.