Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Transformational Festivals

Default Transformational Festivals

Things are going on. Special things. Do you know about them? Do you care? Are you part of the awakening?

You wanna fook on me?!

Default Re: Transformational Festivals

My buddies in papadosio throw an amazing smaller scale fest in ohio called rootwire. The goal is for everyone to contribute in the art, music, and experience and to help each other transform and grow. Had a complete blast last year. Great music, intersting art, and 2000 heady people from the midwest camping in hilly woodlands.
    "How long will this last, this delicious feeling of being alive, of having penetrated the veil which hides beauty and the wonders of celestial vistas? It doesn't matter, as there can be nothing but gratitude for even a glimpse of what exists for those who can become open to it."

Heh. I've seen that around on the interwebs but didn't pay it much mind. Seemed like another lame Ohio jam/EDM fest where all the music is stuck in shitty 90s raver mode. I'm guessing I should actually consider it?
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

Man. There's artists called Dopapod, Phutureprimitive, and DubCounscious on there. That really doesn't allay my concerns.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Hey here's an idea. You know those people who are desperately poor, down on their luck, uneducated, abused, and generally ill-equipped for life? Let's make fun of them.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    Heh. I've seen that around on the interwebs but didn't pay it much mind. Seemed like another lame Ohio jam/EDM fest where all the music is stuck in shitty 90s raver mode. I'm guessing I should actually consider it?
    Music was pretty solid last year. Its 50% jam/jamtronica and 50% djs if some nature. Last year bluetech and kilowatts played as invisible alies and 2 solo sets and it was a very solid 3 hours of minimal abient sounds. Im not all that familiar withthis years lineup. Honestly though this fest is less music centered and more art and experience centered, kinda like burning man. Id recomend it as long as your not expecting any 10/10 sets.
    "How long will this last, this delicious feeling of being alive, of having penetrated the veil which hides beauty and the wonders of celestial vistas? It doesn't matter, as there can be nothing but gratitude for even a glimpse of what exists for those who can become open to it."

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by xuclarockerx View Post
    please stop. no one is interested in your festival.
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 5 - Seth Troxler
    September 9 - Black Vice
    September 11 - Earthless
    September 14 - Lily Allen
    September 16 - Earth
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    September 23 - Andy Stott
    October 2 - Beck
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 20 - Mastodon
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Festival
    October 29 - The Melvins
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 15 - Primus
    November 18 - Slayer

Cool thanks dude. That was actually from 3 days ago and it's irrelevant now so you can rest easy. I hope you feel better bro.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Hey here's an idea. You know those people who are desperately poor, down on their luck, uneducated, abused, and generally ill-equipped for life? Let's make fun of them.

Moontribe Firetribe Solartribe. Nothing but amazing vibes in the middle of nature

It's time to drop the grid, unplug your television and leave the mainstream....ditch the glitter, burn all your money.

The earth is beautiful, embrace it. Live a life of love and freedom. Break the cycle.

See you in the dirt.
    You wanna fook on me?!

Wish I could drop off the grid entirely. Unfortunately we live in a world where it costs money to live, especially in an expensive state like California.

But these festivals are a great way to clear your mind, turn on, tune in, and drop out. One day of LiB showed me this. I want to learn more, and experience more. I constantly feel like I'm not getting everything out of life that I should.
    Last edited by SepaGroove; 06-19-2012 at 10:48 AM.

You can drop off the grid every weekend my friend

Find clean and cool bodies of water in nature, roll up a spliff and watch the dragonflies

Quote Originally Posted by Goatchella View Post
    It's time to drop the grid, unplug your television and leave the mainstream....ditch the glitter, burn all your money.

The earth is beautiful, embrace it. Live a life of love and freedom. Break the cycle.

See you in the dirt.
    Television has been host to several of the greatest works of art of the past couple of decades. If everyone left the mainstream, there'd be a new mainstream. Burning your money may make a statement, but mostly it'll make your life more miserable, and it won't change the fact that there are a limited number of resources at our disposal that they need to be utilized in some way, with an exchange of goods and services at the foundation of that utilization. The earth is neutral, and while we might feel it has beauty and is a benevolent force, it can also be ugly and wreck terrible damage on our lives. Freedom comes with its own costs and responsibilities, and in our efforts to be "truly free," we bondage ourselves in other ways, or miss out on some of the wonderful things life has to offer because we don't want to feel "chained" to something for the sake of some abstract ideal. Love can be as destructive and painful as it can be uplifting and beneficial. Stop your goddamned empty utopian hippie platitudes already, you vacuous cenobite.

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaam

Television has been host to several of the greatest works of art of the past couple of decades. If everyone left the mainstream, there'd be a new mainstream. Burning your money may make a statement, but mostly it'll make your life more miserable, and it won't change the fact that there are a limited number of resources at our disposal that they need to be utilized in some way, with an exchange of goods and services at the foundation of that utilization. The earth is neutral, and while we might feel it has beauty and is a benevolent force, it can also be ugly and wreck terrible damage on our lives. Freedom comes with its own costs and responsibilities, and in our efforts to be "truly free," we bondage ourselves in other ways, or miss out on some of the wonderful things life has to offer because we don't want to feel "chained" to something for the sake of some abstract ideal. Love can be as destructive and painful as it can be uplifting and beneficial. Stop your goddamned empty utopian hippie platitudes already, you vacuous cenobite.
    You are trying way too hard. Obviously I'm on some sort of grid fed device to even type this.
    Try somewhere else. You are the herpes of this thread.
    You wanna fook on me?!

Quote Originally Posted by Mugwog View Post
    You can drop off the grid every weekend my friend

Find clean and cool bodies of water in nature, roll up a spliff and watch the dragonflies
    You're right. And SoCal is a great place to do this. Beach, mountains, and desert all within short driving distance.

Seriously...what a fucking downer, negative, miserable position, Patrick.
    You wanna fook on me?!

You are trying way too hard. Obviously I'm on some sort of grid fed device to even type this.
    I'm sure you know by now that on the internet there are always haters. No matter what the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You're right. And SoCal is a great place to do this. Beach, mountains, and desert all within short driving distance.
    Sustainability...take what you need and reverse the programming of what you think you need. That is all I was saying. Reduce the use of the grid. Get in touch with the finer things in life. Simple things can be very interesting if we were not so distracted with all of the pointless things in life. It is 100% possible to live off the grid. I have seen it.
    You wanna fook on me?!

And your more-enlightened-than-thou act is tired and contradictory. No one wants to hear unsolicited advice about how to be more "free." There are few things more annoying than being scolded by someone who thinks they have everything figured out but just reduces the complexities of life into simplistic, hollow platitudes.

Well obviously you have never been transformed. Let alone at a music festival.

I am not, nor have I ever claimed to be anything more than yourself. I just have a different perspective.
    This is about gatherings of like minded individuals coming together to address serious issues in our failing system and educate each other to improve our planet and our relationships as a human race. Once again you are seperating yourself by building a wall. I am you Patrick. You are me. What am I going to do to make this a better place for the children of the future?

The answer does not rest inside a television set. Nor does it have to do with negativity or hate.

These are mere suggestions. I am just sharing thoughts as are you. Tired as they may be, these words must be spoken, typed and addressed.
    No one is being scolded. Calm down bud.
    Last edited by Goatchella; 06-20-2012 at 09:30 AM.
    You wanna fook on me?!

Seriously...what a fucking downer, negative, miserable position, Patrick.
    Fuck that. Telling people to "drop out" is much more of a self defeating cop out than pointing out the realities and complexities of a situation. I'm no golden standard for how to live your life to it's optimum potential, probably the exact opposite, but I still am aware that just ignoring the "negative, downer" aspects of something is the furthest thing from productive. The goal is to find them and then constantly improve upon them. Know limitations and work within them and slowly work to expand them. Realize that everything has a cost and that for one thing to thrive, another thing has to diminish. Fucking around in the woods on drugs is fine and all, but don't act like it gives you the key to the universe and an authority on how to solve other people's problems.

Well obviously you have never been transformed. Let alone at a music festival.

I am not, nor have I ever claimed to be anything more than yourself. I just have a different perspective.
    This is about gatherings of like minded individuals coming together to address serious issues in our failing system and educate each other to improve our planet and our relationships as a human race. Once again you are seperating yourself by building a wall. I am you Patrick. You are me. What am I going to do to make this a better place for the children of the future.

The answer does not rest inside a television set. Nor does it have to do with negativity or hate.
    What the fuck does that even mean to be transformed? You don't have to claim it, it comes across in your attitude. It's this smug "I've reached another level of being that you all cannot comprehend" superiority complex that does more to "build a wall" around you than my pointing out the flaws in your banal philosophizing. I'm in favor of such gatherings, but that has nothing to do with the bullshit you spout. Sure, Jersey Shore isn't the most enlightening thing in the world, but to dismiss one of the most major forms of international communication because the majority of it is just empty entertainment is, again, simplistic. Television has as much potential to inform and expand perception as any book or work of art or communal nature sit in or whatthefuckever. It's all in how it's utilized. And, again, negativity is a reality, it's a necessity, it's something that has to be dealt with, and by focusing in on the negative, you can get a better picture on how to improve something. Consciousness requires more than just saying "love another." It requires honest analyzing of the harsh realities of life and figuring out how to best navigate them.

Simple things can be very interesting if we were not so distracted with all of the pointless things in life.
    I couldn't agree more with this. We've been force fed materialism since we were children. If material things make you happy then cool, but one should always be aware of what's REAL in life.

Television will make it all better. I know better. I am better than you.
    You wanna fook on me?!

What the fuck does that even mean to be transformed? You don't have to claim it, it comes across in your attitude. It's this smug "I've reached another level of being that you all cannot comprehend" superiority complex that does more to "build a wall" around you than my pointing out the flaws in your banal philosophizing. I'm in favor of such gatherings, but that has nothing to do with the bullshit you spout. Sure, Jersey Shore isn't the most enlightening thing in the world, but to dismiss one of the most major forms of international communication because the majority of it is just empty entertainment is, again, simplistic. Television has as much potential to inform and expand perception as any book or work of art or communal nature sit in or whatthefuckever. It's all in how it's utilized. And, again, negativity is a reality, it's a necessity, it's something that has to be dealt with, and by focusing in on the negative, you can get a better picture on how to improve something. Consciousness requires more than just saying "love another." It requires honest analyzing of the harsh realities of life and figuring out how to best navigate them.
    To be transformed?.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transformation_(genetics)
    Things are changing in the world. Energy, Life, the planet...all changing....some will stay stuck. Not all will change.

I never mentioned anything about reaching another level. I think you are judging me a bit and taking the things I say out of context, twisting them into whatever you would like and using those delusional thoughts in an attempt to oust and belittle me. I keep breathing. I never claimed to be a philosopher....seems you have just apointed me. Thank you.
    What is the bullshit I spout? Obviously you don't agree with what I type here, so it must be bullshit. Nice angle.
    I believe that if children and adults for that matter, were spending more teaching the fundamentals of survival and tradition of living off the earth, nurturing the earth, working as a family unit, preparing for the seasons and just being in touch with reality a little more....instead of watching television, "reality shows", buying into glamour and ego driven consumerism.....if we were to get in touch with what will help us survive and flourish as a unit and less as selfish, sexy, entertained individuals we would be in a better place now and we would assure a better future for our children.

Your opinion is "Television has as much potential to inform and expand perception as any book or work of art or communal nature sit in or whatthefuckever"
    I ask you, what piece of art or communal nature sit in has ever profited on extorting hate, death, evil, greed, love, lust, nature ect.
    Does it take coal and nuclear power plants to fuel a piece of art or a communal sit in?

This isn't about television being bad....it is about the plug that goes into the wall and sucks the life from the planet by providing entertainment to people that have lost touch with reality....at the convenience and expense of the planet. That corporate monsters profit from. I'm not saying I don't watch TV and you are a devil for doing so. I am suggesting we get in touch with what matters and simplify our lives so as to get in touch with the reality that is our future...sustainability and sense.

You have me mixed up with some peace loving hippy. You don't know a fucking thing about me, so you should just back off of that one. I don't think love is the answer...I do think more people would feel and share love if they were not so angry about the life that they have been programmed and bred to live. You have been trained to need the grid, need a job, need a car ect.....those are all materialistic wants. You do not need any of those things. You have been born into a class system and you will never advance any further than your superiors will allow. You will be taxed and classed as they see fit.

Fuck that. Telling people to "drop out" is much more of a self defeating cop out than pointing out the realities and complexities of a situation. I'm no golden standard for how to live your life to it's optimum potential, probably the exact opposite, but I still am aware that just ignoring the "negative, downer" aspects of something is the furthest thing from productive. The goal is to find them and then constantly improve upon them. Know limitations and work within them and slowly work to expand them. Realize that everything has a cost and that for one thing to thrive, another thing has to diminish. Fucking around in the woods on drugs is fine and all, but don't act like it gives you the key to the universe and an authority on how to solve other people's problems.
    Drop out of the rat race...you are worth more than that. Your family and friends need you, yet you are unavailable because you are dedicating 75% of your waking hours to do someone else's work, fulfill someone else's dream. A slave. I am you Patrick. I am that same guy. We are all in this same group. Slaving.
    I don't suggest we ignore the negative downer....I suggest we educate it, awaken the real love and life trapped inside the hallow shell of the drone that has been tricked and fooled.

"Realize that everything has a cost and that for one thing to thrive, another thing has to diminish"

In order for us to take back our country, our state, our freedom....in order for us to thrive...another thing has to diminish...I am clearly stating that that other thing is our failing institution of a government. It is diminishing rapidly Patrick...obviously you know that being that you enjoy television so much and seem to be on the Internet so much.
    Things out there are not good. I think it is important that everyone realizes that survival might be a necessity here soon. If you are not educated and you are not prepared, if you are depending on a grocery store to feed you and pills to make you feel better, if you are so out of touch with the things our ancestors have learned and taught generation after generation.....you will diminish just like that failing system. We thought we could be lazy, we thought we had it all figured out, we lost touch with what life was really about in the pursuit of some commercialized, ego driven business plan.

If any of that made sense...despite the grammatical errors...if you believe any of that to be true, you have been transformed...you have evolved past the state that humanity has been in. Things are changing in the world. Thoughts like these will infest the mind of one that has been awakened and is conscious of the future and the past.

I don't hold the key to other peoples problems...they do. They are just too distracted with all these other things around them to figure it out.

So.....figure it out.
    Love & Light Patrick
    I love you and I hope your day gets better.
    You wanna fook on me?!

I hate doing these multi-quote line by line responses, but I've already expended enough energy into this.

To be transformed?.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transformation_(genetics)
    Things are changing in the world. Energy, Life, the planet...all changing....some will stay stuck. Not all will change.

I never mentioned anything about reaching another level. I think you are judging me a bit and taking the things I say out of context, twisting them into whatever you would like and using those delusional thoughts in an attempt to oust and belittle me. I keep breathing. I never claimed to be a philosopher....seems you have just apointed me. Thank you.
    What is the bullshit I spout? Obviously you don't agree with what I type here, so it must be bullshit. Nice angle.

. . .

You have me mixed up with some peace loving hippy. You don't know a fucking thing about me, so you should just back off of that one. I don't think love is the answer...I do think more people would feel and share love if they were not so angry about the life that they have been programmed and bred to live.

So.....figure it out.
    Love & Light Patrick
    I love you and I hope your day gets better.
    First off, fair enough that I'm making assumptions about you based purely on what you've posted (this is pretty much how people process things though, we judge people by what they do and say and fill in the blanks in our minds, for better or worse), and you're doing a lot of the same for me. Maybe you don't realize it, but saying things like "figure it out" and "I hope your day gets better" without knowing anything about how my day is going just because I'm disagreeing with you makes you sound like you think you're superior and pity the people you come into contact with who don't have it figured out. It's hard to swallow pontificating about how to make the world a better place when it comes from a place of smug condescension. Whether or not that was your intent, that's how it comes off.

I believe that if children and adults for that matter, were spending more teaching the fundamentals of survival and tradition of living off the earth, nurturing the earth, working as a family unit, preparing for the seasons and just being in touch with reality a little more....instead of watching television, "reality shows", buying into glamour and ego driven consumerism.....if we were to get in touch with what will help us survive and flourish as a unit and less as selfish, sexy, entertained individuals we would be in a better place now and we would assure a better future for our children.
    I'm pretty much with you on this and wish I had been taught more self sustainability. Although I do think it would also be beneficial to teach people how to operate within the system we do have set up because whether we like it or not, it's something we have to deal with.

Your opinion is "Television has as much potential to inform and expand perception as any book or work of art or communal nature sit in or whatthefuckever"
    I ask you, what piece of art or communal nature sit in has ever profited on extorting hate, death, evil, greed, love, lust, nature ect.
    Does it take coal and nuclear power plants to fuel a piece of art or a communal sit in?

This isn't about television being bad....it is about the plug that goes into the wall and sucks the life from the planet by providing entertainment to people that have lost touch with reality....at the convenience and expense of the planet. That corporate monsters profit from. I'm not saying I don't watch TV and you are a devil for doing so. I am suggesting we get in touch with what matters and simplify our lives so as to get in touch with the reality that is our future...sustainability and sense.
    Plenty of art and gatherings have been driven by darker impulses. I guess you're saying television is an evil because it runs off electricity. Which is some whack logic. A lot of beneficial things run off electricity. Of course we need to find more sustainable energy solutions, but because the people who have a vested interest in keeping energy profitable are trying to prevent those solutions from coming to fruition doesn't make any kind of entertainment that relies on some kind of fuel source inherently evil or whatever. I imagine these Transformational Festivals you're promoting would have some kind of amplification that would run off electricity? What makes your preferred form of recreational coal burning better than someone else's? And what about art installations that require some kind of fuel? What about the transportation required to get people together? It's just such a tired cliche to rattle off "Kill your TV" slogans as though that's a practical solution. For the most part I can't stand tv, I don't have cable, don't want it, I only watch very select shows on DVD or streaming online. Some I would consider monumental works of art on par with the great novels and films of our time. Some are just fun time wasters. You can't be out there saving the world from itself and having amazing adventures every waking hour of your existence. Some times you get stuck in the house. Some times you need to take it easy because you're exhausted from work or running around doing important world changing things or just having fun. Some people just aren't very good with people and don't like large gatherings and would rather be by themselves. A television can be good for these types of situations. It's just a medium with constructive and destructive powers just like anything else. Television probably isn't going to save many people's lives, and yeah, it probably does a fuckload of damage to the collective psyche, and, like most things, it's best in small portions. It depresses me as much as you to watch people turn into vegetables watching TV all day every day at the expense of building a richer inner life, but, again, it's kind of a condescending attitude to go about saying "unplug your television" like everyone's a slave to the almighty cathode. Plenty of people are plenty in touch with what matters and have concerns about sustainability and watch tv from time to time.

Drop out of the rat race...you are worth more than that. Your family and friends need you, yet you are unavailable because you are dedicating 75% of your waking hours to do someone else's work, fulfill someone else's dream. A slave. I am you Patrick. I am that same guy. We are all in this same group. Slaving.
    I don't suggest we ignore the negative downer....I suggest we educate it, awaken the real love and life trapped inside the hallow shell of the drone that has been tricked and fooled.

. . .

You have been trained to need the grid, need a job, need a car ect.....those are all materialistic wants. You do not need any of those things. You have been born into a class system and you will never advance any further than your superiors will allow. You will be taxed and classed as they see fit.
    Yeah, it sounds nice to say things like "drop out of the rat race," but the reality is people have to survive. I'm as strong a dissident as exists against the current order of things, but there still inevitably has to be some kind of system. Work needs to be done. People's needs have to be met. We're not cave dwellers any more. We don't live in small tribes, and short of near extinction, we probably won't be going back to that kind of lifestyle. Our global society is far too large and complex to turn back into hunter gatherers. Sustainability is essential, but figuring out how to do it on this grand a scale is almost impossibly difficult. And yes, a lot of people are actively working against sustainability for their own gain, or out of ignorance or laziness or whatever. That doesn't mean everyone should retreat to some isolated cabin in the woods and have their own personal vegetable garden which they live or die by (obviously exaggerating here, so don't debate this at face value, you get my point). We find ways to improve and reform the system we have and make it workable, not just ditch our entire way of life (a near impossibility) and go back to a more primitive way of living. There's so much about modern life that is wonderful. Air travel, modern medicine, the internet, on and on and on. And it requires a certain infrastructure to keep it going. It sucks that we aren't working harder to make that infrastructure a more sustainable, environmentally friendly thing that supports and emboldens people instead of keeping them trapped and oppressed. But you know what, someone has to be the janitor or sewage worker or gas station attendant or whatever unfulfilling, unglamorous job you can think of. This doesn't mean these people should be screwed over and treated as poorly as they are, but we can't just eliminate the positions. No matter what system we have, someone is always going to be doing "someone else's work." It's putting in hours for the common good. Giving up something of yourself in exchange for a little something more for yourself. The problem is that the game has been rigged and the exchange isn't fair. Too many people are giving up too much of theirselves and getting too little back.

You know what, we do need a job, a car (well transportation, I'm not a big fan of car culture and really wish the US had reliable public transportation outside of a few major metropolitan areas, "the grid." The grid is the infrastructure where people put their specialized talents to use to benefit the greater good. And while, yes, our society is far too materialistic, some material goods actually enhance people's lives. This computer (and those that came before it) have led to me having so much joy in my life it makes me want to explode. Same with my iPod. And a car that has made it possible to go see my friends, travel to life changing music festivals, etc. We shouldn't sacrifice the important intangible things in our lives for material positions by and large, but it's just naive hippy bullshit to act like getting rid of all your possessions is going to make you happier. Having a nice enough house with a bed that protects me from the wrath of nature keeps me pretty fucking happy. Throwing my bed out the window isn't going to "set me free." It's going to make my goddamned back ache. The problem with the things you're saying, in my eyes, is that you're coming at complex problems with simplistic solutions that don't really work in the real world. In day to day life. For everyone. Maybe they work for a select few, and that's fucking awesome, but that's not practical across the board.

In order for us to take back our country, our state, our freedom....in order for us to thrive...another thing has to diminish...I am clearly stating that that other thing is our failing institution of a government. It is diminishing rapidly Patrick...obviously you know that being that you enjoy television so much and seem to be on the Internet so much.
    Things out there are not good. I think it is important that everyone realizes that survival might be a necessity here soon. If you are not educated and you are not prepared, if you are depending on a grocery store to feed you and pills to make you feel better, if you are so out of touch with the things our ancestors have learned and taught generation after generation.....you will diminish just like that failing system. We thought we could be lazy, we thought we had it all figured out, we lost touch with what life was really about in the pursuit of some commercialized, ego driven business plan.
    I've dealt with a lot of this up there, but about the "pills to make you feel better." Some people have actually chemical imbalances that can only be corrected through medication. Just because we over medicate in our society doesn't mean that it's not truly beneficial to some people. Sure, out ancestors survived without a lot of things, but that doesn't mean their lives were better. It's a shame our way of thinking hasn't caught up with our scientific advances, but some things are getting better, even if others are getting worse.

[insert organic popcorn eating gif]

tl;dr version: The way you communicate is very condescending and makes it sound like you think people you encounter are just brainwashed sheep who don't put any real thought into their lives, but in reality, some of us put probably too much thought into the state of the world and it makes swallowing simplistic solutions to complex, global problems very difficult.

I'm telling you, goat's 180 is a result of Randy.