Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why Didn't Bowie Ever Play Coachella?

old school

Default Re: Why Didn't Bowie Ever Play Coachella?

Quote Originally Posted by Mugwog View Post
    That was almost 10 years ago

To make Bowie relevant to the youth again we would have to do a dubstep remix of space oddity by skrillex
    well...yeah. thats what Bowie did, the male version of Madonna, constantly re-inventing himself. 90's duets with trent reznor, david lynch soundtracks. ten years ago he was headlining(?) Area, a touring rave massive, alongside Moby, Blue Man Group, Busta Rhymes, John Digweed, The Avalanches, TiŽsto, Dieselboy, & DJ Dan. If he was performing nowadays, he'd be playing Coachella. Cuz that's what's cool at the moment.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    Daft Punk will unveil its third member, Crush.

he should be there as long as he plays Magic Dance

SmellyBath

Bowie's never gonna do it. his skin is much too dry for the climate. doctors orders.

I'm on a tightrope baby, nine miles high.

Quote Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
    He can take a big paycheck and do a hits set on the mainstage or he can also just do something low key in the Mojave Tent - he did a few drum n bass sets at festivals on the Earthling tour.
    Not if his heart can't stand the pace. IIRC heart trouble in early '05 caused the cancellation of uk festival appearances
    Dede' Arneaux
    Come a long long, come a long long way

Bowie among a list of artists that turned down the opportunity to play at the Olympics Closing Ceremony ...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2012...ony?CMP=twt_gu
    Dede' Arneaux

David Bowie turned down the offer to sign off Sunday night's Olympic Games closing ceremony with a performance of Heroes, one of several high-profile acts who passed up the chance to perform in front of a global TV audience of hundreds of millions at the finale of London 2012.

Organisers of the £15m show had also hoped to persuade the Rolling Stones, Kate Bush and the Sex Pistols to appear in what was intended to be a history of British music. Even the Who, who did close the Games with a medley ending with My Generation, turned down the request to play twice, according to industry sources. But a decision by the band to announce a US tour in July swayed them, given the scale of the promotional opportunity.

The three-hour show featuring Elbow, Take That and another Spice Girls reunion was watched by an average of 23.2m viewers, making it marginally more popular than the £27m opening ceremony two weeks earlier. Viewing peaked at 26.3m on the night, although the event, which garnered a more mixed reception than Danny Boyle's show, would have been helped by its Sunday night slot, when people are more likely to be at home.

As for Bowie, the 65-year-old has not toured since 2006, and it was always an ambitious request to try to persuade him to participate, even if Heroes was used as an unofficial anthem for Team GB during the Games. Although he closely monitors his own press coverage, Bowie, now based in New York, repeatedly turns down requests to perform or appear in public.

Fans of the singer had to make do with a segment in the middle of the "Symphony for British Music" in which Fashion was played against a catwalk sequence featuring Kate Moss and Naomi Campbell Ė one of several recorded sections which suggested that hoped-for performers would not appear.

Six months ago, artist managers and other music industry executives were given a presentation by concert producer Kim Gavin and film composer David Arnold of ambitious plans to showcase the history of British pop music from the 1960s. At that stage, there were few confirmed participants other than an agreement to play John Lennon's Imagine, which formed a centrepiece of the programme.

Kate Bush was among those Gavin and Arnold hoped would appear, and there were rumours in the industry that she had agreed to perform. However, Bush too is reluctant to appear in public. Organisers agreed to play a remix of Running Up That Hill, and the singer released a statement on her website on Monday praising a "brilliant show".
    Dede' Arneaux

Quote Originally Posted by Ardentbiscuit View Post
    I was being silly, personally I think the holograms and/or projected performances are lame. If I am going to bother to cart my ass out to Indio I better see something real otherwise I say leave it for the home or at the very most Imax equipped or similar cinemas.

I don't foresee Bowie ever playing Coachella but maybe. Who knows.

From what I've read of Bowie it seems like he think it's insane that he could be considered a super star and probably doesn't even fully realize how important he is to people.
    I'd be all for Eric Prydz Presents: EPIC on the mainstage with the hologram above his head... not all holograms suck!

Coachella Weekend #1

Quote Originally Posted by Dede' Arneaux View Post
    Bowie among a list of artists that turned down the opportunity to play at the Olympics Closing Ceremony ...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2012...ony?CMP=twt_gu
    i almost shit myself during the closing ceremonies when they started playing one of his songs. i thought it was gonna be this big epic "im back and i still have my voice motherfuckers!" moment, so disappointing. kate bush would have been amazing as well. instead we got the spice girls and way too much Jessie J

that pink floyd bit was bullshit as well. surprised the pistols didnt do it just so they could somehow fuck it up

Quote Originally Posted by anonimouse View Post
    i almost shit myself during the closing ceremonies when they started playing one of his songs. i thought it was gonna be this big epic "im back and i still have my voice motherfuckers!" moment, so disappointing.
    Me too, I was certain for about 10 secs that he was going to appear and sing

Dede' Arneaux