Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Fake Poster Thread

Rolwolf

Default Re: 2013 Fake Poster Thread

Quote Originally Posted by travelfan View Post
    To make a (semi) realistic poster...

1. Download a free graphic design program, I used Gimp.
    2. Drop a Coachella poster of your choice into the program. Use the paint brush to brush out all text, and if the poster is multi-colored (like 2012), use a gradient brush and go line by line, selecting colors that are in the back of each line of font. It might look a little janky, but when you put text over it you won't really notice.
    3. Bring the poster into iPhoto. Change the tone, exposure, etc. of the blank poster until you get the color and vibe you are looking for.
    4. Next, use Word. Drop the edited photo in, and use WordArt boxes to write text on top of the Coachella photo. Use the Eurostile font, play with different sizes for different billed names, and use the "circle" from Symbols to make the dot between names.

There you have it. Took me only a couple hours over a week to make mine, and I had never used a graphic design program before so most of that time was spent figuring out how to do certain things. If you have, it should be child's play. I was surprised how simple it was.

I will literally get nothing done for the rest of the day. Thanks a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolwolf View Post
    I will literally get nothing done for the rest of the day. Thanks a lot.
    Have at it. Also, use the color (or closest one) of the little date boxes for the "dot" colors, as they virtually always match. And always make "the" and "and" smaller than the line font, and make sure you have the right number of Sahara acts. Blocking out the main Main/Outdoor/Sahara/night Mojave slots gave me the right "starpower" for the billed lines since I was aiming for realism, and for billing I used a combination of Last.Fm listeners and Facebook like (Last.fm for indie stuff, Facebook for Sahara cheese) but made exceptions, especially for overseas acts, rare acts, and acts that had a million+ listeners but are not really that relevant anymore (The Bravery). You'll have a blast.

Quote Originally Posted by nbvcide View Post
    it's not just Coachella.

Bonnaroo:
    Jack Johnson billed over Robert Plant, Phil Lesh, Allman Brothers, Willie Nelson, and BB King
    Yeah Yeah Yeahs & Andrew Bird above Merle Haggard
    Skrillex and Aziz Ansari (the guy from Parks & Rec) over Alice Cooper
    Widespread Panic over White Stripes
    they billed The Strokes and Mumford & Sons on the 3rd line the same year Strokes co-headlined Coachella
    (billed 12th overall at roo, 4th at chella)
    of course, they billed David Bryne above Snoop Dogg (who co-headlined Coachella), Al Green, Elvis Costello. which gives even more reason to bill him lower.
    Black Keys (as a subheadliner) billed above Neil Young (and also Buffalo Springfield)
    and they billed the Beach Boys under that band that does that 'Creep' song..

Lollapalooza:
    The Killers over Beastie Boys and over Jane's Addiction twice
    Kings of Leon over Lou Reed
    Ben Harper over Iggy & the Stooges
    Snow Patrol over Patti Smith

i could go on and on and on...
    Really?! you're gonna tell me you've never noticed Coachella booking legends below hipster bands with 1 or 2 albums? especially solo acts? Look, tell me the last time the act that played the Outdoor at sunset that was on the first 2 lines, cuz i'm fairly certain it's never happened. Outdoor sunset acts are usually 3rd or even 4th lines, so the booking fits.

Solo acts are never billed as high as the group they are most known for:
    Pulp subheadlined, but Jarvis Cocker was on the, you guessed it, third line. (not to mention Outdoor sunset)
    Gorillaz headlined, Blur was 2nd line, but Damon Albarn's The Good The Bad & The Queen was yup, third line.
    Faith No More subheadlined, but Mike Patton was on the 5th line
    Rage Against The Machine headlined, but Zach's One Day As A Lion was 4th line (& Tom Morello 6th).
    Oasis headlined, but Noel Gallagher was 2nd line (under Bon Iver and David Guetta)
    Bright Eyes subheadlined, but Conor Oberst was 3rd line

MIA over Chem Bros, Madness third line under M83 and Amon Tobin, Buzzcocks 5th line after A$AP Rocky, Erykah Badu third line under Steve Angello, Duran Duran 2nd line under The Strokes, Sven Vath third line under Axwell, Air & Happy Mondays 2nd line over Willie Nelson & Crowded House & the Roots, Vampire Weekend billed 3rd over the Specials and Echo & the Bunnymen and Johnny Rotten's Public Image Ltd, MGMT over Devo, Lupe Fiasco 3rd line over Public Enemy's 4th line, Booker T billed 5th line under Turbonegro, Mumford & Sons billed 2nd line, over the London Suede & Big Audio Dynamite & Erykah Badu & Bright Eyes. Is Throbbing Gristle bigger than X? No. But it's a bigger get (even if it proved to not be a draw, at all).

Jeff Mangum third line, under Miike Snow
    Lauryn Hill third line, under Interpol
    Noel Gallagher under Bon Iver
    Les Claypool 5th line, under Major Lazer, Dirty Projectors, Gossip
    Paul Weller (of The Jam) 3rd line, under Lupe Fiasco and the Yeah Yeah Yeahs
    Bob Mould (of Husker Du) 6th line, under Para One & Surkin and the Bloody Beetroots
    all solo artists known for the bands they used to perform with, all billed low.

Leonard Cohen, 3rd line (under Franz Ferdinand). Is Eddie Vedder solo or even David Bryne bigger than Cohen? No, i wouldn't say so. You could make the case that Vedder & Byrne are bigger than the solo acts listed above (i would disagree), and I would counter that the acts listed higher than Vedder & Byrne are bigger than those acts that were listed ABOVE the above solo acts. Not to mention that they'd all be bigger draws (if not gets) than Vedder & Byrne. Be honest, how many there would give a fuck about Vedder's solo album? Or David Byrne's solo work? Everyone there would be waiting for those 2 or 3 Pearl Jam/Talking Heads songs and you know it. And the whole board would bitch how awful the set was if they didn't.

GIL SCOTT HERON 6TH LINE AFTER THE WHITEST BOY ALIVE, LA ROUX, DJ LANCE ROCK, DILLINGER ESCAPE PLAN, PROXY, STEVE PORTER, LUCERO AND RA RA RIOT.

You're taking way too much effort to respond to one comment. No one give s a fuck about your examples. Some of them are just fucking ridiculous.

I get your sentiment. But the fact that you are a complete dolt and taking way too much effort in this discussion makes you unbearable.
    10/8 - Little Dragon @ Marquee (Tempe, AZ)
    10/11 - Carolina Chocolate Drops @ Rialto Theater (Tucson, AZ)
    11/10 - The Black Keys @ US Airways Center (Phoenix, AZ)
    4/10/15 - 4/12/15 - Coachella

You quoted that tl:dr meaning you read it, jokes on you bucko.

Any fake poster should have tool on saturday night, lock it up.
    "How long will this last, this delicious feeling of being alive, of having penetrated the veil which hides beauty and the wonders of celestial vistas? It doesn't matter, as there can be nothing but gratitude for even a glimpse of what exists for those who can become open to it."

Quote Originally Posted by grannock View Post
    You quoted that tl:dr meaning you read it, jokes on you bucko.

Any fake poster should have tool on saturday night, lock it up.
    Sense. Start making it.

I am not nearly well enough versed in the indy rock scene to make a semi realistic poster.
    "How long will this last, this delicious feeling of being alive, of having penetrated the veil which hides beauty and the wonders of celestial vistas? It doesn't matter, as there can be nothing but gratitude for even a glimpse of what exists for those who can become open to it."

Rolwolf

Mychella.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Last edited by Rolwolf; 08-03-2012 at 12:43 PM.

nice, i like it. except i think it's too soon for the national and it's a-trak not a-track. and i don't know why dj khaled is in that, lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    the best songs are the ones that dont remind you of anyone in particular yet still give you that utter euphoric contentedness of perfection in your mind, body and soul. keep them close.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post
    A bag of doritos > RHCP > getting kicked in the balls > Mumford & Sons > skinned alive > Macklemore
    Quote Originally Posted by elliottb View Post
    Ohh god, you guys are so fucking sensitive. Yes there is potential to get laid at Coachella if you camp or are willing to have sex against the fences by the Sahara.

Prodigy and Underworld would not play on the same day. The line-up is a bit too stacked.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

It's also Old 97's, not Old 79's and they don't have a "the" in their name.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Women just obviously can't write creative music. They're all ripping off the Beatles, who were men. Duh.

Rolwolf

Oops! Thanks, I fixed the typos. There were a whole lot more before I posted it, haha.

With The National, I'm working off the shot-in-the-dark assumption that they release a new album in early 2013.

And yeah, Sunday's stacked, but not so much that the bigger acts don't get their prime-time spots on the right stages.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by GuyInTucson View Post
    You're taking way too much effort to respond to one comment. No one give s a fuck about your examples. Some of them are just fucking ridiculous.

I get your sentiment. But the fact that you are a complete dolt and taking way too much effort in this discussion makes you unbearable.
    30min is too much effort to put into a couple posts in a thread that consists wholly of fake posters created by boardies? wow. that would yield pretty shitty posters with less than 30min worth of effort. Unless you're saying that making fake posters is a waste of time. It's a much better use of time to post in a hundred different threads telling everyone they're idiots, rather than explain it in one.

It's a much better use of time if it's short and meaningless, like all of your posts.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    Daft Punk will unveil its third member, Crush.

Pretty Lights would definitely be higher, and I hate to say it but I think The Crystal Method would be a bit lower.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Pretty sure Pussy Riot is still going to be in jail.
    last.fm
    10/22/14 - TV On The Radio @ Regent // 11/9/14 - Bad Religion @ Mayan // 11/14/14 - Death From Above 1979 @ Regent // 11/16/14 - Lucero @ Echo

Quote Originally Posted by cash881 View Post
    Pretty Lights would definitely be higher, and I hate to say it but I think The Crystal Method would be a bit lower.
    no, if this was not a bullshit poster, they would def be in that spot, if not higher...the crystal method is a legend , your just talking crazy man, you crazy

They're about the same place they were in 2009's poster. They're certainly even less popular and less relevant now though.
    last.fm
    10/22/14 - TV On The Radio @ Regent // 11/9/14 - Bad Religion @ Mayan // 11/14/14 - Death From Above 1979 @ Regent // 11/16/14 - Lucero @ Echo

Poor man's Chemical Brothers.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

Run the Jewels - 10/16 - Red 7
    Screaming Females - 10/23 - Red 7
    Guy Gerber - 10/29 - Vulcan Gas Company
    Fun Fun Fun Fest -11/7 - 11/9 - Auditorium Shores
    Caribou & Jessy Lanza - 11/23 - The Mohawk

It's a much better use of time if it's short and meaningless, like all of your posts.

Or your entire life.

I mean, let's be honest here, you ARE the biggest piece of shit on this board.

Rolwolf

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Pretty sure Pussy Riot is still going to be in jail.
    Maybe. If not it would be an exciting booking, even if just for hype's sake.

Well, they're also not really a touring band, they're a protest group. Even if they don't go to jail, I don't think they're being let out of the country, and if they do, they're probably not coming to a big outdoor festival.
    last.fm

Pussy riot would headline

They're about the same place they were in 2009's poster. They're certainly even less popular and less relevant now though.
    sadly

Put santana up there

Has anyone cared that much about them since Vegas?
    Coachellas attended: 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 (W1), 2013 (W1)

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Theme night listing:

Thursday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Friday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Saturday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Sunday Night: Boo, I have to go back to my parent's house!
    The level of sheer laziness and pure speculation and confusion about very easily found and well-known things that this board has gotten to is truly confounding.

old school

and they brought out LMFAO last time..
    Last edited by nbvcide; 08-08-2012 at 12:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tyles View Post
    Has anyone cared that much about them since Vegas?
    I liked Tweekend..."Name Of The Game" was a pretty bad-ass, as was the video. But you are pretty much correct.
    last.fm

I liked Tweekend..."Name Of The Game" was a pretty bad-ass, as was the video. But you are pretty much correct.
    Their radio show on Indie 103.1 was great, but other than that, nothing. There also seemed to be a long period where they were doing nothing but DJ sets for years everytime I saw them booked for something.

Theme night listing:

The level of sheer laziness and pure speculation and confusion about very easily found and well-known things that this board has gotten to is truly confounding.

and they brought out LMFAO last time..
    I see that as punishing the crowd for seeing them over Paul McCartney.

Theme night listing:

So, we're just going to ignore that Husker Du is on that poster?
    Youth, you son of a bitch, where did you go?

Quote Originally Posted by Emma Ocean View Post
    so I assume you've never been cunt punched at a festival? Well lucky you!

old school

Quote Originally Posted by Cheddar's Cousin View Post
    So, we're just going to ignore that Husker Du is on that poster?
    or The Kinks