Page 40 of 54 FirstFirst ... 3536373839404142434445 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,200 of 1597

Thread: theklein25 reviews albums

Default Re: theklein25 reviews albums

Jawbreaker - Dear You
    No more indie rock for Jawbreaker because this is the first record where they switched to a major label. Save Your Generation contains a lot of catchy bass and guitar lines on top of some good singing. This track is some good punk to rock out to, and I like the composure of Schwarzenbach's voice in it. I Love You So Much It's Killing Us Both is another energetic song with some heavy power chords, and good circle pit music. Accident Prone is my favorite. It starts off with each instrument pretty mellow, but things start to intensify with the singing and the song starts to really pick up. I like that main guitar line because it's kind of epic. The words in the song are creative, while the drums are making this song for me with the heavy power chords adding the flavor. The atmosphere setting is kind of dark, it's like being in a shed on a rainy night. Oyster is another good song. The guitar and drumming do it again. Amazing outro. This band is proving to be awesome using a technique so many bands use, which is just banking on power chords and drumming at a fast tempo. Bad Scene, Everyone's Fault sounds like something Rancid would do, it's kind of creepy. It's probably the happiest sounding song and just a punk rock party song. Dear You had great flow to it, and all the instruments come out very clean. There are a lot of good songs on this album. Figured I couldn't go wrong by picking the final album.

My rating: 7.5

Brand New - The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me
    I could already tell the best song on this album is Jesus. I don't know how you can beat it when you take the slow guitar approach hitting the same notes in a pattern ,and the 1-2-3 drum beat. Then you have Lacey harmonize with the guitar hitting some high notes and him saying "I-I-I DIE-IE-IE" I think. Then there's a sort of guitar solo, but it's the kind of solo where the guitar notes are calm notes that flow. The emotional yelling seals the deal and makes this song pretty flawless. They even throw in a pause. You Won't Know is second favorite song. Kind of starts off with a similar guitar scale like in Jesus, but the yelling and jamming that comes out of nowhere in this track is great. There's enough energy to power at least one hotel in Las Vegas, and if anyone tried to interrupt me I'd make them wait. This is good "emo" music right here, especially during the mini guitar solo with the bass adding depth. Degausser is third in line. The track is full of so many mixed emotions. This track has 2 things I really like in a song. The walkie-talkie effect and a group of people shouting the same thing. The album of the title matches the passion and energy being demonstrated by these songs. I'm not as big of a fan of Sowing Season (Yeah) like a lot of people might be. I do like the shredding on the guitar. The yelling is a little too exhausting for me, but it's still a fun track. Luca is a very appealing song to listen to. The flow of the guitar notes is very beautiful, and the singing is fairly relaxed. The song makes you feel like you're part of a dream. Until the big outro hits, which make this an awesome song to experience live. Brand New just bring so much energy and emotion that I have to admit this album could be their best. Definitely appears this was written during some downs days for Jesse Lacey and probably some of the other members.

My rating: 7.75

Jet Black was one of my favorites next to Bad Scene. Bad Scene felt right at the time, being that I was in high school. Felt just like the parties I attended then. Klein, if you get the time, listen to Unfun. That is a great poppy punk album. If you want more structured songs that are prettier, check out Jets to Brazil. Blakes band after Jawbreaker.
    Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    ICYMI: Today the two board members with the most questionable approach to music held mirrors up to each other; no one learned a thing and nothing will change.

August 23/24 - FYF Fest - Expo park
    October 3/4 - Desert Stars - Pioneertown
    October 17 - Massive Attack - SB Bowl
    November 8 - Slowdive - Theater at Ace
    November 9 - Slowdive - Theater at Ace
    April 10/11/12 - Coachella wknd 1 - Indio

Soundgarden - King Animal
    Been Away Too Long pretty much sums up the relationship of Soundgarden. The song comes out firing with a great deal of energy, and Cornell doesn't sound like he did back in the 90's but he's still a powerful frontman. Non-State Actor is kind of vintage in a way with a heavy guitar riff throughout, the flow of the song is good, and it's just some good rock. By Crooked Steps comes out pretty nasty. Those heavy riffs are like getting stomped on over and over. Then Thayil proceeds to melt everyone's face off. The chorus is kind of strange, but it also rocks out super hard too. Song after song just contains heavy rock and it's impressive how these guys were able to put this together after a 16 year album drought. Of course they don't get as heavy as they did back in the day, but A Thousand Days Before and Blood on the Valley Floor are two back to back well hand crafted guitar driven tracks. Halfway There has Chris Cornell written all over it. Some people don't like his slower songs, but I think this one was very well done. The difference is that they still keep it electric and not go to total acoustic. I really like the guitar in this too. Rowing is an awesome last track. The song is just paced kind of bizarre, but the vocals are really good, and more shredding by Thayil. I had super low expectations for this record. However, after I heard it a couple times I learned to really like it. Chris Cornell has still got enough in the tank, and they really rock hard on King Animal. The band has moved forward, adapted to modern time, and it's not fair to compare this to their previous work too seriously.

Last edited by theklein25; 12-02-2012 at 07:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post

Daft Punk - Alive 2007
    Having never seen Daft Punk before this is the closest experience I can get, although I wish there were some lazers. Robot Rock is super exciting of course because there was only 2 minutes of buildup. Honestly the song sounds a lot better on this recording, you can feel a heavier drop, and the mixing is much more dancier. The Oh Yeah snippets are cool, this is clearly Robot Rock's song. Television Rules the Nation / Crescendolls is a huge electronic explosion with some Around the World mixed in there. Again the sensation caused by the mixing and drops makes Swedish House Mafia sound like Swedish House Girl Scouts. It sounds like one giant party out there. Around the World is back this time louder and with its beat. Sounds a lot like the master track, but enhanced thanks to the energy from the crowd. Things get a little crazier when Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger comes in for the first time because there's some intense mixing that follows. Then the drops during are Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger bumping, then there's more crazy music, hopefully there were lazers shooting all over. I imagine One More Time / Aerodynamic was not the most fun combo to witness. Though the beginning is kind of slow, and very quiet. The dullness makes Aerodynamic Beats / Forget About the World look like a hero. The song is so full of energy, and it feels like disco is being reincarnated. After some Da Funk feels like pretty much everything you'd expect to hear has been done. The drums are loud, and the live version is like the recording but with some stuff thrown in. It's like a greatest hits album performed, so of course it's going to be good. The audio was very good and super clean.

My rating: 8.5

You think this was "not the most fun combo to witness." You couldnt be more wrong....

Michael Jackson - Off the Wall
    5 albums in and Michael Jackson has already established himself as the master of pop music. The opening track Don't Stop 'til You Get Enough is full of disco flavor and so groovy. The guitar rhythm makes you want to move, and Michael Jackson's voice is pretty amazing right now. All the horns and arrangement of everything make this one spectacle. If you tried to dance throughout this whole song, you'll probably be sweating near the end because it's 6 minutes, yet "Don't stop 'til you get enough," is one line that never gets old. The amount of places I've heard this song would exceed my 10 fingers. Rock With You is another track just full of disco fever with that drum beat and tempo. Jackson's voice is timed so well with the instruments. You feel like you're floating when he hits that main chorus line. Another incredible song. Off the Wall and Get on the Floor are two tracks that have some more great vocals and catchy rhythm, I didn't find them to be as good to dance too but they are very detailed and some more great songs. She's Out of My Life is a big time ballad sung by Michael Jackson. The song starts off with him just sounding very alone and sad, and it ends with him sounding very alone and sad. Imagine if more pop these days was like this. There'd be less crap and maybe radio stations would appeal to more people. I like all the songs on this album, and really you can't complain. Off the Wall is put together so well, and some fine work by Michael Jackson.

My rating: 9

Taco - After Eight
    There was something vibrant, sophisticated, and unique about this album that made it very intriguing. This album doesn't have an 80s feel when Singin in the Rain opens up but rather a early to mid 20th century feel. Then there's that song Puttin' on the Ritz that just cannot get out of my head because it's so catchy. Not a big fan of his stage name, Taco, because it's just going make people think of tacos. As the album progresses through it starts to lose some of it's magic because the tracks start to sound more alike. I still dig how he brings back a sound from an earlier time period and adds his touch to it. Good pick. I love this album cover so much!

My rating: 8
    Just remember this is an eight
    Translation

Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    Still pretty serious about this.

Jack White @ Bill .... 08/22/14
    FYF @ LA Sport Area 08/23 - 08/24/14
    Swans @ The Independent 08/08/14
    Decibel Festival @ Seattle 09/24 - 09/28/14
    War on Drugs @ Fillmore 10/05/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14

Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    Just remember this is an eight
    too low or too high?

Thanksgiving Choice

Interpol - Turn on the Bright Lights
    Turn on the Bright Lights is the debut album by Interpol. Untitled starts off the album with some fast guitar strumming. The atmosphere of it makes me feel like I'm driving home in the pouring rain at night. The bass and drum enter and make this song have an amazing beat. Paul Banks starts singing and really I have no idea what kind of emotions are going on but I like it. This song is incredibly mysterious, put together great, and the outro is wet. The guitar parts that are crafted for Obstacle 1 are pure genius. It's nearly impossible for me to turn off this song once it's started because the guitar is that good, along with the bumping from the bass, and drum beat that matches it so well. The energy coming from the vocals is incredible too. That 1-2 rhythm that feeds into the chorus is my favorite. "You'll go stabbing yourself in the neck," has got to be my favorite line of this album. The change in the drum rhythm and bass to lead into a guitar solo is just another highlight to this track. It's a very underrated pump up song. NYC is a much slower song. This is where you do hear the album title, which is one thing I always look for. The guitar outro kind of feels like you're on your way to heaven or something. To this day I believe PDA is one of the top 5 Interpol songs. The drummer is going super hard, and the guitar in this track. The lyrics sung by Banks are great too. They have 200 couches. I mean who else would have that many couches. This song is the perfect song to play when you just got back from a party, and you can tell the alcohol is starting to wear off. Because this is more of a good bye song than hello song. The guitar that takes us to the end of this song is pure excellence and kind of like a second wind. The back up vocals are sick too. Hands Away has kind of a sad feeling to it, but how about that bass pedal. Stella Was a Diver and She Was Always Down is just another song where Kessler can show off his guitar playing skills, another sick bass line, and Fogarino killing it on the drums. The New is one of the more experimental darker tracks, but Banks keeps it cool. Probably Interpol's best album because all the personal on this record absolutely destroy it and they really all play together so well. What a debut album.

My rating: 8.5

Madonna - The Immaculate Collection
    This is the first greatest hits album of Madonna's work. I would hope these are her best songs, but it's definitely filled with her most well known tracks. This was a very silly hour for me because I don't like her stuff at all. She's wasn't even that bad back then, but this is just music one artist I won't ever put on in my own free will. It's songs like Like a Virgin that are just trying to be more provocative then actually good. Holiday or Material Girl to me is just a dance song that only can be distinguishable because of the lyrics. Like a Prayer is an attempt by Madonna to be different, but one minute you're like a virgin and now you're like a prayer, and now what you're like a grandma? She even speaks some Spanish in La Isla Bonita. Maybe that helped her get the role for Evita. Anyways I think her music is just silly. I need some new requests.

My rating: 6

How about Why? - Alopecia
    ICYMI: Today the two board members with the most questionable approach to music held mirrors up to each other; no one learned a thing and nothing will change.

This is the first greatest hits album of Madonna's work. I would hope these are her best songs, but it's definitely filled with her most well known tracks. This was a very silly hour for me because I don't like her stuff at all. She's wasn't even that bad back then, but this is just music one artist I won't ever put on in my own free will. It's songs like Like a Virgin that are just trying to be more provocative then actually good. Holiday or Material Girl to me is just a dance song that only can be distinguishable because of the lyrics. Like a Prayer is an attempt by Madonna to be different, but one minute you're like a virgin and now you're like a prayer, and now what you're like a grandma? She even speaks some Spanish in La Isla Bonita. Maybe that helped her get the role for Evita. Anyways I think her music is just silly. I need some new requests.

DJ Sprinkles - Midtown 120 Blues

8/16: Anthony Naples, Maxmillion Dunbar @ f8
    8/18: Man Man @ The Chapel
    8/23-8/24: FYF Fest
    8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

Reatards - Teenage Hate / Fuck Elvis Here's the Reatards
    This ain't no middle of the mall shit.

For Linkin Park this is kind of embarrassing, but this song would be great live if you just wanna have fun and grind on a girl.
    Diarrhea Planet 2015

Why? - Alopecia
    The backstory to how Why? was created is pretty interesting. Their music is basically indie rock combined with hip hop, but fronted by a nerdy white guy. The first track Vowels, Pt. 2 is a great opening track because the rapping is killing it line after line. The outro on the drums is very cool, and transitions so smoothly into the best song Good Friday. Yoni Wolf is not holding back, he talks about all kinds of things like: eating pussy, doing something until his dick hurts, and talking shit. The line where him and the chick sing in unison a few times throughout the song was one of my favorite parts. He's rapping with attitude and like he's the man, so it makes the song more fun. The guitar kept it simple but the production was great. Fatalist Palmistry had the best guitar lines in it which made it one of the better rock songs. A Sky for Shoeing Horses Under had an uplifting feel to it, and the xylophone or whatever that was kept it fresh. I was surprised how much I enjoyed the lyrics in this record. Maybe it's because he phrased everything the right way to make it humorous sounding rather than thug.

I really think that is their finest record.

Pitbull - Global Warming
    9/10 Swans @ Roxy, 9/18 Neutral Milk Hotel & Daniel Johnston @ Hollywood Bowl, 9/19 Tokimonsta @ El Rey, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/3-4 Desert Stars, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/22-25 CMJ, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

To be fair a lot of these recordings were remixes and not the original studio or single versions.

soundcloud.com/mikey-and-the-dylans

These three songs

"Hot Latinas"
    "Hair of the Dog"
    "Gettin Her Done"

Also..John Frusciante- Letur Lefr
    Gorillaz-Gorillaz
    Last edited by IzGewd; 11-25-2012 at 06:20 PM.

DJ Sprinkles might like more than just sprinkles, I think he/she likes cupcakes too. I have no idea the story, but something being a transgender is involved, so the internet tells me. The electronic beats are very flamboyant, and yet juicy and electrifying. The Midtown 120 Intro worked with the constant switching between the talking and pulse drops. There's some deep message I believe in here, but I'm not going to find it. Midtown 120 Blues turned out to be 8 minutes of the same drop and rhythm on repeat. I felt like I was in one of those teenage clothing stores like Hollister or something shopping thanks to this song. Also something about it made it the perfect audio for a porno soundtrack. I like the thump thump noises. The sound and rhythm of it just seemed to time well with yeah... House Music Is Controllable Desire You Can Own was another one of those mall songs only this one was more appropriate for an elevator. The constant drops were actually ridiculously good, and the piano notes in the background added effect. The song even had little ringing sounds which made it sound like an elevator![I] Sisters, I Don't Know What This World Is Coming To[/I ]was just repetitive weirdness. The constant background shouting combined with the rhythm just made one weird track, and that tapping was just strange too. DJ Sprinkles is not your regular house DJ, he doesn't appeal to everyone I imagine, but his music sounds perverted enough to have a good time too.

The Reatards - Teenage Hate
    This album is really raw, and full of fast riffs and screaming. Sounds like some good old fun garage punk rock. I'm So Gone is a fun track to get things started. The guitar riffs are really cool and Jay is throwing all kinds of words out there in that punk fashion. It Ain't Me proves to be a great display of screaming and where the band rocks out pretty hard. Nothing is better pictured than a garage atmosphere with the band rocking out, and putting together an album where the songs flow so well. Fashion Victim turned out to be my favorite song for some reason. I like the intro and then the plucking riffs, while the drums and vocals were doing their thing. Not much else to say about this album except for the quality being pretty low to make this album have that old school punk feeling I think.

DJ Sprinkles might like more than just sprinkles, I think he/she likes cupcakes too. I have no idea the story, but something being a transgender is involved, so the internet tells me. The electronic beats are very flamboyant, and yet juicy and electrifying. The Midtown 120 Intro worked with the constant switching between the talking and pulse drops. There's some deep message I believe in here, but I'm not going to find it. Midtown 120 Blues turned out to be 8 minutes of the same drop and rhythm on repeat. I felt like I was in one of those teenage clothing stores like Hollister or something shopping thanks to this song. Also something about it made it the perfect audio for a porno soundtrack. I like the thump thump noises. The sound and rhythm of it just seemed to time well with yeah... House Music Is Controllable Desire You Can Own was another one of those mall songs only this one was more appropriate for an elevator. The constant drops were actually ridiculously good, and the piano notes in the background added effect. The song even had little ringing sounds which made it sound like an elevator![I] Sisters, I Don't Know What This World Is Coming To[/I ]was just repetitive weirdness. The constant background shouting combined with the rhythm just made one weird track, and that tapping was just strange too. DJ Sprinkles is not your regular house DJ, he doesn't appeal to everyone I imagine, but his music sounds perverted enough to have a good time too.

This is just stunning in how far it misses the point/tone/context/explicit text of the album. I guess America really isn't ready for grown up electronic music.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

at least he gave it an 8...?

Pitbull - Global Warming
    To begin the 7th album (yeah that many?) we get a rip off of the macarena song in the title track Global Warming. Don't Stop the Party immediately begins the club jam. The transition is so fast it's like taking 3 shots in one. It's got the beat and mix for the nightclubs out there, so there's gonna be a lot of grinding. There's a lot of people yelling and rapping as well. I don't like how fast a transition that was. it wasn't smooth at all. That fast beat comes back and people I realize Pitbull is speaking some speaking Spanish too. Couldn't they think of a better way to say party, it reminds me how the Beastie Boys would say it. At the 2 minute mark there's some buildup and then a falldown into that sloppy chorus. Really this is just one sloppy song, but nobody listens to it sober anyways. Feel This Moment was pretty bad, but then again you can't take anything serious featuring Christina Aguilara. Not even Adam Levine thinks her opinion matters. Back in Time was so bad that they knew it, so they had to throw in some Skrillex effects mid way. Party Ain't Over felt like the party should have been over by now, but I think Pitbull was feeling a little bit insecure so he had to throw this song in to pump up the puppies. I wish nobody enjoyed his mediocre mixing, and not gets all the ladies like he talks about in his songs, but sadly he does. Drinks For You is for all the milfs out there like J-Lo. Like seriously it is. Tchu Tchu Tcha was actually not that bad. It had the singing power and right beat. It didn't feel like i was getting hit in the face with a pillow like all his other songs. It had the right tempo, sound effects, and personal, so this song helped get the album half a point. Pitbull what are you doing, we all know this is a weak attempt at maintaining your popularity. You're album title is pretty weak too.

My rating: 4

Two Fingers - Stunt Rhythms
    Peter Ilyitch Tchaikovsky - Tchaikovsky

I wonder if he's a believer in climate change

Hot Latinas - The guitar was actually really good throughout. It was like a pretzel because it looped so well. The drum beat and bass were both pretty exceptional too. The lyrics and rapping are pretty weak and need some work.

My rating: 6.5

Hair of the Dog - The bass pedal added cool effect to the singing. I like the guitar in this song too. It reminds me of something Red Hot Chili Peppers would do. The random giggles/noises are kind of unnecessary. The chick isn't that great at singing either. I do enjoy the mood set throughout it though.

My rating: 6.75

Gettin Her Done - Definitley had the most established beat, the guy who rapped in the first 2 songs actually sounds a lot better in this track. Finally hear some lyrics that complement each other well. "Lets lose our clothes" is my favorite line. That guitar is pretty sick and the heavy drum beat made it work. Easily the best song. A good song that seems more appropriate for some night life fun.

Bravo on Global Warming. I can't believe this clown's videos get 300 million views on youtube.
    9/10 Swans @ Roxy, 9/18 Neutral Milk Hotel & Daniel Johnston @ Hollywood Bowl, 9/19 Tokimonsta @ El Rey, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/3-4 Desert Stars, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/22-25 CMJ, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

The Black Keys - Brothers

11/21 - Pearl Jam - Viejas Arena

Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post
    Bravo on Global Warming. I can't believe this clown's videos get 300 million views on youtube.
    Damn, holy shit. I blame Miami... and Los Angeles and New York too i guess