Page 38 of 54 FirstFirst ... 3334353637383940414243 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,140 of 1597

Thread: theklein25 reviews albums

Default Re: theklein25 reviews albums

Interesting review of Boards Of Canada. My interpretation of that album is WAY different than yours.

Dead Kennedys - Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables
    The opening track Kill the Poor is one of the most sarcastic songs out there. The song itself actually is good because the guitar playing is really good, and the drums add to the feel of the ultimate punk song. The album soon hits a speed that is too fast for anything to slow it down. There's some good bass and guitar in Let's Lynch the Landlord. The whole time I'm wishing Jello Biafra had a different voice because I really don't like it. Sounds too much like a cartoon voice for me and I can't take the music as serious as I'd like. The instrument playing is done so well too. The big song from this album is obviously Holiday in Cambodia, which is popular for numerous reasons. The notes on the guitar flow so well. The feel of it makes you feel like you're on some kind of chase. The song would fit a roller coaster ride so well. I'm probably one of the harshest critics when it comes to The Dead Kennedys. I respect how they can use weirdness to mock the flaws of government and humanity.

My rating: 7

Flatbush Zombies - D.R.U.G.S
    I have no idea who these guys are, but when it comes to rapping they go hard. The Intro is kind of creepy, but when the song kicks in there's some good rapping. Breakfast AT ePiffanies felt like listening to a Childish Gambino rap song. The difference was this song has a flute. These guys are quite the trouble makers, rapping about smoking weed. Isn't that illegal? Well these guys think they are thug by breaking the law. S.C.O.S.A is where the big boy rapper comes in. That guy's voice is so deep I imagine him as the big bald guy in the background with his arms crossed and wearing sunglasses. Remember, I Got Money is probably one of the best rap songs. You feel like you're at the strip club all fucked up. I really don't know what he's saying, but the beat is cool, and when you got money then you can rap how you want. Not sure if Laker Paper is about the Lakers and Weed, or just weed. Oh well good drum roll in here, and the rapping/lyrics are executed well. "Throw them titties in my mouth" is the best line. JupiterSound gives you the equivalent feeling of what I imagine a drug you're trying for the first time. It's a little awkward but you're so relaxed at the same time that you just go with the flow. The song also makes it feel like it's 1 A.M. Too get to the point this is a great album. They rap about stuff I want to hear about, and the beats are amazing. Thought this album was a joke at first, but it turned out to be the real deal.

My rating: 8.5

I kinda want to buy that album on the artwork alone.
    Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    ICYMI: Today the two board members with the most questionable approach to music held mirrors up to each other; no one learned a thing and nothing will change.

September 24 - Modest Mouse - Vina Robles Amp.
    October 3/4 - Desert Stars - Pioneertown
    October 17 - Massive Attack - SB Bowl
    November 8 - Slowdive - Theater at Ace
    November 9 - Slowdive - Theater at Ace
    April 10/11/12 - Coachella wknd 1 - Indio

Don't have to bro, they are giving it away
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

Toys That Kill - Fambly 42
    Released in 2012 by the punk band Toys That Kill comes the record Fambly 42. Mobbed By the 3's consists of jamming, cool guitar, and punk rock yelling. There's a good transition to V-Chip, but before I can get a feel for that song it's already over. I'm Foaming! brings out the good vibes. I Don't Wanna Be Around was a cool power strumming song. Overall nothing by them was impressive, and it's kind of sad that they've been together since 1999 and this is the best they could come up with.

My rating: 5

Tiny Tim - God Bless Tiny Tim
    God Bless Tiny Tim is one of the first inside looks into the mind of a pedophile tripping on acid. Welcome to My Dream feels like opening a fairy-tale book and then the result is this song. Livin' in the Sunlight, Lovin' in the Moonlight by Tiny Tim, as much as it hurts me to say it, is a good cover. The instruments are so catchy, his voice is kind of painful accept when he hits the chorus lines. Creepy part is I knew this song thanks to Spongebob. On The Old Front Porch is a duet with himself. I prefer the deeper voice because the higher voice freaks me out. The Other Side is so creepy. The laugher is atrocious, and I'm ready to vomit. The song itself defines mediocracy. Daddy, Daddy, What Is Heaven Like? is incredibly disturbing. Straight just sounds like a schizophrenic lullaby. I Got You, Babe is one of the worst covers of something I've ever heard. He rolls his voice so much and it's so awful. So many of his songs consist of just stroking a ukulele, or something. Again his voice scares me. The talent is there, but he'd rather troll society.

My rating: 4

Hasil Adams - Out to Hunch
    I'll keep this one short and sweet, since I don't want anyone wasting their time like I did. This album was put together by a one dimensional redneck with some of the worst audio quality out there. Songs like We Got A Date are just one bug drunk mess. Other songs are about hot dogs. Guy can't sing. He tries drumming and guitar playing at the same time, which is explains the horrible music. Stop spending money on alcohol and hire a drummer.

My rating: 2

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

If you knew anything about FYP, the band that the two main guys from Toys That Kill were originally in, you wouldn't be too surprised about the quality of the material.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

John Zorn - Spillane
    Beck - Sea Change (OR Mutations, if you've listened to Sea Change a lot)
    Terry Callier - What Color is Love

Deftones - Koi No Yokan

Daft Punk - Alive 2007
    Hieroglyphics - Full Circle
    MF Doom - MM...FOOD

Didnt I request a Make up album ?
    Translation

Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    Still pretty serious about this.

Jack White @ Bill .... 08/22/14
    FYF @ LA Sport Area 08/23 - 08/24/14
    Swans @ The Independent 08/08/14
    Decibel Festival @ Seattle 09/24 - 09/28/14
    War on Drugs @ Fillmore 10/05/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14

Last.fm

It's on my list. Doing one or 2 more Souldisharge requests and then you're up

Quote Originally Posted by rasooli View Post
    Daft Punk - Alive 2007
    Hieroglyphics - Full Circle
    MF Doom - MM...FOOD
    down for that

Butthole Surfers - Locust Abortion Technician
    Sweat Loaf might just be the most killer song on the album. You so get thrown off guard with the father-son speech. The guitar riff is absolutely awesome. The atmosphere goes from calm to panic to calm again with that soft guitar break and the back to panic mode. Not something commonly heard in the 1980s. Gibbey Haines's vocals help carry this song and become the power switch throughout. Maybe the Butthole Surfers go on to soften up a little because this might be the most hardcore and scariest album they put out. Human Cannonball brings in the heavy punk drumming and more powerful guitar playing. Not really a fan of U.S.S.A.. It kind of annoyed me. The O-Men is something you'd hear in a nightmare, and now I think I know where Passion Pit got there sound. The album cover explains it best because I felt like I was in one bizarre sex crazed hell circus.

My rating: 8

The Make-Up - I Want Some
    I Want Some is a collection of 23 songs that were either singles or b-sides released by the band The Make-Up throughout their career. The first track is Pow! To the People A little bit strange, but they weren't kidding when they said this was gospel. This song makes me ask an important question. What is pow in their minds and why are they preaching it? I enjoyed this song a lot because it was entertaining. I Want Some was so catchy with the bass rhythm, clapping hands, the "oooooo's" and "aaaaaah's". Another catchy song follows, Walking on the Dune," the song's rhythm is just so catchy. The first half pretty much keeps in check with this. The second half however at first I thought was something temporary, but turns out song after is sung in this kind of depressing tune with lots of shrieking. Songs like Untouchable Sound and Free Arthur Lee are just strange to em. After a couple of these songs I figure out the formula. Have a catchy rhythm, throw in some shrieking, and yell and sing about something random. Not all those second half songs were my thing. The album was like getting on a bus, having a good time, and then you find out halfway through you're on the wrong bus, so then you have to backtrack.

My rating: 7.5

Notes:

the Sweet Loaf guitar riff is basically the Sweet Leaf guitar riff by Black Sabbath.

Their most hardcore release is the PCPPEP, and the scariest one (for my money) is Rembrandt Pussyhorse.

If you liked this, you should definitely listen to both of the above-mentioned, as well as Psychic, Powerless, Another Man's Sac.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Nirvana - From the Muddy Banks of the Wishkah
    Well I like Nirvana, and I like electric performances that match the record. So it wasn't hard for me to like this live album from Nirvana that I believe they were selling at Starbucks at one point. All this album reminds you about is how great performers they are live, and how important they were to the early 1990's. Track after track on this live album beats out most things any other grunge band had put together. Drain You is an amazing song when performed live. Heart-Shaped Box felt like there was emotion put into this performance. Silver really stood out, and a song I very rarely pay attention to, but this album reminded me how good a song it is. It sounds like one of those performances of a life time, even though the songs were taken from various performances and the instruments were probably torn up many times in front of those crowds.

My rating: 9.5
    Last edited by theklein25; 11-14-2012 at 02:36 PM.

Nirvana - MTV Unplugged in New York
    Compared to your typical live Nirvana performance this one is different because it's an acoustic performance. Everything feels so intimate, and the atmosphere is something you'd never get with Nirvana. This album gave a new meaning to About a Girl. The recording off this album made it to the radios and is still played to this date. The crowd gets pumped for Come As You Are and the performance of it becomes an instant classic. The Man Who Sold the World goes down in my mind as one of the greatest live covers of all time. The emotion behind it feels so sad, dark, and a little bitter, yet the song is beautiful, and no offense to Bowie but I think I like this version better. Something in the Way isn't overshadowed like it normally is, and finally gets performed in the perfect environment. The cello really makes a difference. The Lake of Fire cover is really good too and Nirvana is able to make it their own song. Kurt Cobain's voice sounds flawless on this record, and he masters the acoustic guitar. I like this live album better than From the Muddy Banks of the Wishkah because there's more of a connection in this record, along with that intimate and emotional feeling.

My rating: 10

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

any revoew of that album that doesn't involve where did you sleep last night is wrong.
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Nirvana were really great at "electronic performances"
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Nirvana were really great at "electronic performances"
    lol i've been doing so many edm albums. the word electric has slipped from my vocabulary.

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Notes:

the Sweet Loaf guitar riff is basically the Sweet Leaf guitar riff by Black Sabbath.

Their most hardcore release is the PCPPEP, and the scariest one (for my money) is Rembrandt Pussyhorse.

If you liked this, you should definitely listen to both of the above-mentioned, as well as Psychic, Powerless, Another Man's Sac.
    Cool, I'll take advantage of this info

Hey klein, a request for anything done by Jawbreaker.
    ICYMI: Today the two board members with the most questionable approach to music held mirrors up to each other; no one learned a thing and nothing will change.

I got one!!!

Brand NEw - The devil and god are raging

Quote Originally Posted by Drewski27 View Post
    Hey klein, a request for anything done by Jawbreaker.
    I'm Down

Quote Originally Posted by gillster17 View Post
    I got one!!!

Brand NEw - The devil and god are raging
    This is the closest thing to Taking Back Sunday. I'll take it. Also this is the only album of theirs I've never heard. 1 in 4 chance of you picking this lol

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    I'm Down
    sweet.

King Animal - Soundgarden
    Green Day - Dos

theklein - "song titles" in quotes, album titles in italics. Or even 'album titles' like that, single quotes and italics are interchangeable.
    9/20 - Crosby, Stills & Nash - Santa Barbara Bowl
    9/21 - Caetano Veloso - Hollywood Bowl
    9/26 - William Basinski - Pasadena Arts Council
    9/28 - Bob Mould - Roxy (?)
    10/01 - King Crimson - Orpheum

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare