Page 37 of 54 FirstFirst ... 3233343536373839404142 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,110 of 1597

Thread: theklein25 reviews albums

Default Re: theklein25 reviews albums

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    My guess is even for some of the classics he hasn't heard them. I don't really request things for the review: I like having someone listen to good music that they might otherwise never have heard. theklein might have been a Bob Mould/Husker Du/Sugar fan before, but my gut says he wasn't. I don't know if he is now, but I'm glad that he enjoyed the albums I had him listen to because it means he at least might listen to them again and someone else will like some good stuff.
    Thats the thing though. You are doing the thread justice by SHARING music with someone. Everyone else just wants to see theklein make fun of some album or agree with them so they list some random collection of 5 albums or MORE everytime they post. There needs to be some filter then just LISTEN TO ALL THESE and start dumping itunes album playlists they have. We already know which of these albums are good or bad, but I personally want to know an alternate viewpoint on the records instead of what most boardies/pitchork/reviewers always say.

Not theklein has that crazy of a viewpoint to even begin with!

Look at you, giving a fuck.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

Blind Melon - Nico
    The cover of The Pusher is such a passionate first song to open up the album. Nico is such a nice dedication to Blind Melon's Shannon Hoon. Soup has an excellent guitar riff, and really is an energetic. The slowed down No Rain is something Blind Melon fans probably appreciate more than I do, but I'll just stick with the original. All That I Need is super lovely. Pretty much any song that is titled similar to that has always been good to me, and the song is usually something close to heart. Pull is a jam. It's kind of like a combination of jazz and rock. The drum beat and guitar is sick. Letters from a Porcupine was just the most satisfying outro. Blind Melon has always felt like an outdoors band to me, they just sound so much better out in the sun. I enjoyed these songs, sometimes they were all over the place. Good harmonica use.

My rating: 7.5

Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    Look at you, giving a fuck.
    Look at you, being a little bitch. Hopefully it doens't rain on you any time soon.

Well if it's like Crazy Frog or Skrillex bad than I dont mind. I'm fine with how things are going. Just less requests per turn is all I'm asking.

Metz - Metz
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

King Crimson - Lizard
    So King Crimson's Lizard is quite the original album. Never have I heard so much flute at one time in my life. They call this progressive rock but to me it's more like progressive flute. Cirkus starts off so relaxed and then things take a turn with that saxophone solo. Things are totally jazz now and the outro possesses some of the harshest sounding notes that feels totally disastrous. Yet this disorder makes the song special and unique. It's like pre-National Anthem by Radiohead. That song successfully puts me into a dimension where it feels like time is running out. I kinda felt like I was watching a movie because so much went on. Happy Family is a song dedicated to The Beatles. To me I feel like I'm watching that scene in Anchorman because that flute is getting played to pieces. The final song Lizard is pretty much what this album is going to get remembered for. I was very impressed with the song. The intro is like walking into a bar in Morocco. Once the Jazz kicks in I feel a little safer. It's so trippy like a Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds. The singing is so soft. With 7 minutes left things intensify. The saxophone is going hard, and there's all kinds of scary sounds coming from the piano and horns. Overall this album was very unique, creative, and something tnat I'll never understand how it worked

My rating: 7.75

Quote Originally Posted by vulcandeathgrip View Post
    The Panics - Cruel Guards
    Henry Wagons - Expecting Company ?
    The Mark Of Cain - Songs Of The Third & Fifth
    ???

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post

sometimes they were all over the place.

This was true of pretty much all Blind Melon tracks even before Shannon died, but yeah, it's particularly true of most of these tracks, since they had to work with what they had. Glad you called out "Pull" as I think that's one of the best tracks on their and the clearest indication of the direction they were going had Shannon not died. What did you think of "Soul One"? I think the version on Nico is the best thing they ever recorded. Glad you enjoyed the album. Might be worth checking out their two albums if you haven't previously and only know them for "No Rain." Both their albums are great and I think they hold up really well. And man, they were a great live band, especially consider that Shannon was always pretty messed up (see, e.g., Woodstock set where he's frying on acid . . . ridiculously ballsy move).
    Darkside (1/25)
    Oneohtrix Point Never (2/7)
    Four Tet (3/7) / Voices from the Lake (live) (3/7)
    London Grammar (3/25)
    Trentemoller (4/5)
    Factory Floor (4/15)
    Coachella (4/18-4/20)
    Haxan Cloak (5/15)

this article has so many klein-isms

http://www.buzzfeed.com/ryanhatesthi...ntial-rock-ban

Tool - ∆nima
    The second studio album by the Alt metal band Tool. The opening of the album has the coolest drum sounds. Stinkfist is quite the pleaser with Maynard James Keenan going back in forth between the vocal effects and then his yelling. The guitar playing of Adam Jones is just impressive on this song. So much thrashing. Eulogy follows with some interesting tapping sounds. All the ticking makes me kind of antsy and the 2 minute wait is really worth it. Things speed up and out of nowhere the heavy guitar riff enters. The song instantly becomes the best with the guitar and bass. Then the chorus kicks in and I'm just super stoked. Gotta be some of the most energetic stuff they came up with at that point in their career. The whole 8:29 minute song is fun, especially after a slow section of the song is followed up by a wild guitar solo that carries up until the final moments. So much power in Keenan's voice. Hooker With a Penis shows how awesome a drummer Danny Carey is. The lyrics are pretty hilarious, yet they make an awesome metal song out of it. Die Eier von Satan sounds like it was recorded at the site of a construction scene, after a shaky start it becomes a really good song. Tool put a lot of great sound effects into their work. The power riffs, and bass never disappoint. If you're looking for some good drumming then this album has got it. This and Undertow really are two great achievements that came from the band.

My rating: 8.25

Tool - Lateralus
    If Tool were planning to take a step backwards then they successfully succeeded. There really are no songs worth talking about until Schism. Holy crap though that song is great. It starts off so relaxed. I feel like I'm inside another galaxy just floating around. Then all the instruments really kick in. The guitar riff just feels out of this world. Keenan does some great singing on this album. Parabol isn't that great but I love it's purpose in setting up Parabola. Some of the best lyrics found in that song. The guitar is shredding hard, and this is what I call alt metal. Lateralus is another brilliant track too. Unfortunately everything else is just ok in my opinion. Tool is a little overrated in my mind because it sometimes sounds like they don't care as much as they should. Still the production killed on this record and it feels like a million different things are happening and that you're not the only one in the room

VigoTheCarpathian

Loquitur: En Bertrans de Born.
    Dante Alighieri put this man in hell for that he was a
    stirrer-up of strife.
    Eccovi!
    Judge ye!
    Have I dug him up again?
    The scene in at his castle, Altaforte. "Papiols" is his jongleur.
    "The Leopard," the device of Richard (Cķur de Lion).

I

Damn it all! all this our South stinks peace.
    You whoreson dog, Papiols, come! Let's to music!
    I have no life save when the swords clash.
    But ah! when I see the standards gold, vair, purple, opposing
    And the broad fields beneath them turn crimson,
    Then howl I my heart nigh mad with rejoicing.

II

In hot summer have I great rejoicing
    When the tempests kill the earth's foul peace,
    And the lightnings from black heav'n flash crimson,
    And the fierce thunders roar me their music
    And the winds shriek through the clouds mad, opposing,
    And through all the riven skies God's swords clash.

III

Hell grant soon we hear again the swords clash!
    And the shrill neighs of destriers in battle rejoicing,
    Spiked breast to spiked breast opposing!
    Better one hour's stour than a year's peace
    With fat boards, bawds, wine and frail music!
    Bah! there's no wine like the blood's crimson!

IV

And I love to see the sun rise blood-crimson.
    And I watch his spears through the dark clash
    And it fills all my heart with rejoicing
    And pries wide my mouth with fast music
    When I see him so scorn and defy peace,
    His lone might 'gainst all darkness opposing.

V

The man who fears war and squats opposing
    My words for stour, hath no blood of crimson
    But is fit only to rot in womanish peace
    Far from where worth's won and the swords clash
    For the death of such sluts I go rejoicing;
    Yea, I fill all the air with my music.

VI

Papiols, Papiols, to the music!
    There's no sound like to swords swords opposing,
    No cry like the battle's rejoicing
    When our elbows and swords drip the crimson
    And our charges 'gainst "The Leopard's" rush clash.
    May God damn for ever all who cry "Peace!"

VII

And let the music of the swords make them crimson!
    Hell grant soon we hear again the swords clash!
    Hell blot black for always the thought "Peace!"

what in the name of fuck

Tool - Lateralus
    If Tool were planning to take a step backwards then they successfully succeeded. There really are no songs worth talking about until Schism. Holy crap though that song is great. It starts off so relaxed. I feel like I'm inside another galaxy just floating around. Then all the instruments really kick in. The guitar riff just feels out of this world. Keenan does some great singing on this album. Parabol isn't that great but I love it's purpose in setting up Parabola. Some of the best lyrics found in that song. The guitar is shredding hard, and this is what I call alt metal. Lateralus is another brilliant track too. Unfortunately everything else is just ok in my opinion. Tool is a little overrated in my mind because it sometimes sounds like they don't care as much as they should. Still the production killed on this record and it feels like a million different things are happening and that you're not the only one in the room

Oh, shit. This is going to kick off a shitstorm for you, theklein. I don't disagree with your review, as I don't love this album, especially when compared to Aenima, which is a stone cold fucking classic (so I thought your review sold it a little short . . . I mean, no mention of Pushit, but whatever, Eulogy rules), but a lot of Tool fans (on this board) love this album.
    Darkside (1/25)
    Oneohtrix Point Never (2/7)
    Four Tet (3/7) / Voices from the Lake (live) (3/7)
    London Grammar (3/25)
    Trentemoller (4/5)
    Factory Floor (4/15)
    Coachella (4/18-4/20)
    Haxan Cloak (5/15)

Quote Originally Posted by xuclarockerx View Post
    this article has so many klein-isms

http://www.buzzfeed.com/ryanhatesthi...ntial-rock-ban
    This is funny. Also did Vigo go insane? My last tool review was a little rushed unfortunately

I request "Will Work For Food" by Uncle Slam.
    *based upon tedious fact checking.

Tool - Lateralus

Disappointed

The Panics - Cruel Guards
    The opening track from the Panics Get Us Home on Cruel Guards is surprisingly really good. The opening drum roll is epic. The stringed instruments that make the primary sounds create this western love story feeling. The acoustic guitar adds some spice to it. If this guy is now the lead singer for Of Monsters and Men I wouldn't be surprised. Really impressed with that first track. Creaks is a nice song to listen to. A very smooth track, with some nice guitar playing, and though I've heard many songs in this kind of form I still enjoyed it. To me Don't Fight It is a very motivational track. The lyrics might be a little weak, but the instruments in it are really good. The band is showing its dynamics and saying yeah we could be the next U2 if we wanted to. Sundowner is quite the exit song. Good production use, and some cool guitar playing that really made it feel like the Sun was a part of the song. Something in the Garden another nice song with the the band unity, and feels like their religious creation. This album was kind of like a sandwich. You got the bread on both sides then there's some stuff in the middle.

Puff Daddy & the Family - No Way Out
    The first album by Puff Daddy & the Family opens with an exciting and epic intro that features the helicopters. Victory is one awesome song. There's so much build that sets up for the beat. Diddy and Notorious B.I.G. are owning it. Busta rhymes is just being himself and yelling. The whole song is what I'd consider perfect hip hop. Been Around the World is cool because let's face it, they're actually rapping to the song Let's dance. Don't stop What You're Doing is what you imagine 90's Hip Hop to song like. I'm sure someone's wearing a Michael Jordan jersey in the music video of this song (if they have one) It's like the female Will Smith rapping. O wait it's Lil Kim let me pretend to be respectful. If I Should Die Tonight opens with some excellent composing and piano playing. Nice tribute to Marvin Gaye The song ends up being pretty touching, so I imagine the rap fans shedding some tears, like the hair metal fans would during Every Rose Has Its Thorn. The best song has got to be I'll Be Missing You. The song starts off pretty mysterious and dark and about B.I.G. who got shot, and then you hear Every Breath You Take's rhythm, and they're rapping and singing to the song while managing to remain consistent with the syllables of the orignal. Also I'm pretty sure this song is in Rush Hour. Very fun song to chill too. As much as whatever he goes by now, at one time P.Diddy, can bug me with his comments and shows in real life he managed to put one hell of a record that I have tremendous respect for and I better respect him as an artist.

My rating: 9

Geogaddi.jpg

Boards of Canada - Geogaddi
    Some albums are just beyond my intellect level. This I would consider one of them because I'll never understand how this music could make my mind and body feel so good. Music is Math has the magic touch, and tripped me out hard. Sunshine Recorder is so smooth and fluid, I felt like I was a spinning record inside a lava lamp, which doesn't make any sense. After a while I get so caught up in the music I don't even notice that it's a new song. Nothing about this album feels happy at all, it's so dark and one amazing spectacle. 1969 is ridiculously good. It gets my heart pounding, and I feel like i'm floating in jello with a bunch of fairies. The robot voices are speaking to me, and the talk of 1969 is just a subliminal message to get people to fuck. A lot of the following songs follow in the tradition of pounding bass, and electronic bump noises accompanied with household item sounds. Alpha And Omega and The Devil Is In The Details both freak me out a little. Especially the second track because there's some creepy voices, and what I believe is some sound effect that sounds like a chick. What's creepier is the current conditions outside match this song well. This is the perfect windy fall weather song. Production is A+ material. Not every song interested me, but most did, and my mind feels like it opened up and turned into a flat surface.

My rating: 8.5

YES.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

The best song has got to be I'll Be Missing You. The song starts off pretty mysterious and dark and about B.I.G. who got shot, and then you hear Every Breath You Take's rhythm, and they're rapping and singing to the song while managing to remain consistent with the syllables of the orignal. Also I'm pretty sure this song is in Rush Hour. Very fun song to chill too. As much as whatever he goes by now, at one time P.Diddy, can bug me with his comments and shows in real life he managed to put one hell of a record that I have tremendous respect for and I better respect him as an artist.

My rating: 9
    GOLD
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Here We Go Magic - A Different Ship
    The sounds of relaxation and leisure reflect off the sound of this album. Hard to Be Close obviously is something that was meant to be big. The guitar flows like something you'd hear in a Radiohead song. The singing almost resembles a lot of pop rock bands whose names I won't mention. The timing of everything is pretty spectacular. Make Up Your Mind sounds really old school to me. The build up of it would be great for a jukebox. This song is taking us on a cyber chase. Over the Ocean is so mellow, and really the guitar player is hitting 4 notes at a time but it manages to work thanks to the bass which is should receive the bulk of the credit. Luke Temple is really doing some of his best work on the vocals, as the song takes you out on a raft floating on a relaxed sea. How Do I Kow to me feels like the outlier of the album. I thought we were listening to a bunch of chill songs, this is just a little too chaotic of a song for me. Is this folk, indie rock, or is this just improv? The last song A Different Ship has a cool rhythm to it, the high notes he sings are a little to high, but I liked the song overall. Thanks to the power of technology Here We Go Magic put lots of cool songs into their album. A very solid album that's enjoyable to listen to, but a little work on their album flow, and some progression in the vocals could help this band get farther.

My rating: 6.75

Interesting Tool reviews Klein, did Stinkfist interest you in the world of fisting at all, did the world (of fisting) become a little bit clearer to you?

Also, would you be willing to perform the task at hand in Die Eier von Satan?

Regarding the swarm of request: I only wish to have the two Nirvana albums reviewed back to back for the contrast between a legendary live performance and a collection of their best live performances. The other albums can be shuffled at your discretion.

@ Cutter: Seeing as TheKlein25's favorites a year ago were Blink 182, I'm sure this thread has broadened his horizons a little bit. Not everyone has the same musical exposure.

This is funny. Also did Vigo go insane? My last tool review was a little rushed unfortunately
    Vigo has always been insane.
    Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    ICYMI: Today the two board members with the most questionable approach to music held mirrors up to each other; no one learned a thing and nothing will change.

September 24 - Modest Mouse - Vina Robles Amp.
    October 3/4 - Desert Stars - Pioneertown
    October 17 - Massive Attack - SB Bowl
    November 8 - Slowdive - Theater at Ace
    November 9 - Slowdive - Theater at Ace
    April 10/11/12 - Coachella wknd 1 - Indio

I can't see myself disliking blink-182. They're one of the greatest pop punk bands of all time and their work is meaningful to me.
    I like most Alt Rock to begin with

Where is theklein25 getting his images from? Haha wtf.
    9/20 - Crosby, Stills & Nash - Santa Barbara Bowl
    9/21 - Caetano Veloso - Hollywood Bowl
    9/26 - William Basinski - Pasadena Arts Council
    9/28 - Bob Mould - Roxy (?)
    10/01 - King Crimson - Orpheum

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by cutterbutter View Post
    Thats the thing though. You are doing the thread justice by SHARING music with someone. Everyone else just wants to see theklein make fun of some album or agree with them so they list some random collection of 5 albums or MORE everytime they post. There needs to be some filter then just LISTEN TO ALL THESE and start dumping itunes album playlists they have. We already know which of these albums are good or bad, but I personally want to know an alternate viewpoint on the records instead of what most boardies/pitchork/reviewers always say.

Not theklein has that crazy of a viewpoint to even begin with!
    You're taking this thread way, I mean way, too seriously.
    9/20 - Crosby, Stills & Nash - Santa Barbara Bowl
    9/21 - Caetano Veloso - Hollywood Bowl
    9/26 - William Basinski - Pasadena Arts Council
    9/28 - Bob Mould - Roxy (?)
    10/01 - King Crimson - Orpheum

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Just because its not a serious thread doesn't mean it should be the dumpster of the music lounge.