Page 32 of 54 FirstFirst ... 2728293031323334353637 ... LastLast

Thread: theklein25 reviews albums

Default Re: theklein25 reviews albums

Titus Androdicus - Local Buisness
    Kendrick Lamar - Good Kid M.A.A.D City

Faith No More - Angel Dust
    What makes Faith No More a special band is that they are pretty unique with the sound they've created. Funk metal essentially, but they will experiment as well. Angel Dust is not a step backwards from their previous releases it only adds to the exciting discography they put out relevant to this LP's release. Land of Sun and Caffeine are two pretty heavy tracks to open up this album. They really help what I consider the superstar track Midlife Crisis. This song makes a good challenge to grunge showing that other forms of rock are still relevant. The rhythm is super stellar and the heavy bass makes me want to jam all day long. This is a pure rock song, and then there's a song like Crack Hitler which is super experimental funk. Take a page out of a police chase because that's what the speed of the song makes me feel until the chanting part slows it down for a moment. Everything Ruined is another powerful song with those heavy guitar chords and bass. Kindergarten is one of my favorites because it's so badass and a complete metal song. The screaming just gives me a boost of energy. Mike Patton just sounds like a leader and is in total control of the album throughout. He is the show and can alter his voice in so many different ways to make one dynamic and diverse record. Easy makes this album a complete package. The slow song with it's piano medley makes it remarkable in my opinion because they dropped the metal and funk. This is quite an album.

My rating: 8.25

Mr. Bungle - California
    This is no Faith No More what can I say. If they're going to call their album California at least make it legendary. None of Them Knew They Were Robots has a lot of swing to it. The song also sounds like something straight out of a Scooby-Doo chase scene. I felt like there may have just been way too much sassiness in the singing. The Air-Conditioned Nightmare was a very confusing track. Guess that's why they call it experimental because brace yourself it's pretty out thee. Golem II: The Bionic Vapour Boy was a page taken out of the how to make circus music textbook. There were clowns on unicycles, some dude blowing fire, and acrobat chicks with beards swinging around. More importantly than anything else I was bored throughout most this album, at times there was some excitement caused by some heavy bass but mostly I just sat there ready to move on.

My rating: 4

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

i guess there's a limit to how unique a band can sound in order to be special.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

There's no limit. I just found them to bad. I mean look at the praise I gave Faith No More for being unique

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Peeping Tom - Peeping Tom
    Mike Patton is doing what he wants and Peeping Tom is great demonstration of that. With all these side projects he clearly wants to make all kinds of music. There are a lot of guest appearances that really strengthen this album. Mojo is a pretty cool song. A pretty heavy guitar riff that meets all these cool sound effects and a pretty extraordinary song. The chorus is kind of weak, but just focus on the sound effects like the turntable and you'll have some fun. The phrase "I know assholes grow on trees" can be heard in Don't Even Trip. Amon Tobin's contribution makes this song a little spooky, while Patton does his best to make this song work with some deep vocals. Celebrity Death Match is a strange song that may have ruined some of the balance in the LP. I don't think the songs supported one another rather each was completely independent and I couldn't find a clear direction. The trip hop was a solid attempt. I have to praise Sucker because this song really helped make this an album worth repeating. There is such a heavy vibration throughout which feels like my cell phone. The lyrics are great and cannot say enough how good Norah Jones did. The song feels pretty dark but something I can nod my head to. There are a lot of cool studio effects and sweet mixing on the tables. Not a bad album, the drummer did a good job as well as the producers.

My rating: 6.5

Tomahawk - Tomahawk
    I like the opening track Flashback a lot because Patton's voice sounds a little different then normal, there appears to be more attitude in his voice. The little riffs in the song really get me excited and make me like I'm in a motorcycle circle pit. There's a nice transition into 101 North, which displays some cool experimental sounds, heavy riffs, and more awesome vocals by Patton. He sounds like he's talking through a megaphone, which is effectively used in God Hates a Coward. The atmosphere of the whole thing is pretty dark and moody. Almost sounds like Patton has you tied to a chair delivering these lyrics to you. POP 1 has a Depeche Mode feeling during the intro with those sound effects that just give me the chills. Once you notice the heavy bass you better expect things to pick up and the song immediately transitions into another bad ass jam. Track after track proves to be entertaining. Sir Yes Sir sets itself up to be like a scene out of Jaws with the down tempo moving to intense yelling. This project is the next best thing to Faith No More because the creativity is demonstrated. The metal, experimental tunes, and the vocals are mastered pretty well.

My rating: 7.5

Boredoms - Chocolate Synthesizer
    The opening track [I]Acid Police/I] was a big hint to me that I'd have to listen to this album with an open mind. I understand that they're Japanese so there was a strong chance they'd not be singing in English. However I don't even know if they were speaking their native language and instead just yelling random noises. That song Shock City really scared me. I honestly have no idea what was going on in that song. Some person is shrieking throughout. The instruments have no rhythm. Sounds like a cat got ripped in half, and a some girl is getting raped. Calling Anarchy in the UKK bad may be the nicest way to describe their song. At this point I'm ready to put on some Backstreet Boys because I'm developing a headache. Voredoms was a rare track that actually wasn't too terrible. It actually had some consistent tempo and something about it worth listening to. These are the kinds of records I have nightmares about. I could relate this to the feeling of being on a roller coaster where the lights are turned on, so the excitement is gone and you just want
    the ride to end because you're head hurts and you're bored

My rating: 2

Great success.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

hahahahaha
    9/20 - Crosby, Stills & Nash - Santa Barbara Bowl
    9/21 - Caetano Veloso - Hollywood Bowl (?)
    9/26 - William Basinski - Pasadena Arts Council
    9/28 - Bob Mould - Roxy (?)
    10/01 - King Crimson - Orpheum

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Parts & Labor - Mapmaker
    An exciting start for this New York based band. The drums create a lot of energy, the horns make it feel like fireworks are going off, and there's some cool sound effects that add the electronic elements. More great energy from the track New Crimes where the drums are going all out and the guitar riff is pretty sweet. Throughout this album they manage to play with all kinds of different sounds and make some cool noise rock at the same time. I like the song Fake Rain mostly because of the singing, but the high note strumming on the guitar was enjoyable as well. Knives and Pencils makes a great outro song as well. Almost sounds like Michael Stipe. The drummer is the man on this album. Decent album, but couldn't really relate the songs to much. They were interesting, but not great.

My rating: 6.25

Actually, that's their third album. And the drummer posts here.

Lol o boy. Is it Rage Patton? At least he'll feel good about my praise towards him

O SHIT

You should include the year and label to be a little more official. Just a suggestion.
    Last edited by Baby Sandwich; 10-26-2012 at 10:59 AM.

Two Nuns and a Pack Mule - Rapeman
    The opening track Steak and Black Onions sure has a lot of attitude. Pretty sick bass and heavy static. I wouldn't call the music too flashy and the style of play certainly won't attract a large fan base. There is a great deal of energy especially in Up Beat where Steve Albini sings all out. Just Got paid is cool. Superpussy has is a funny name and just hilarious in general. There is a lot of screeching from the guitar, which doesn't hurt my ears surprisingly.

My rating: 6

First off, the Boredoms review is priceless.

Second, if theklein hated California so much, I wonder what he would think of Mr. Bungle's Disco Violante

Third...

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    i guess there's a limit to how unique a band can sound in order to be special.
    Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    There's no limit. I just found them to bad. I mean look at the praise I gave Faith No More for being unique
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    This exchange made me laugh out loud.

And fourth...

Lol o boy. Is it Rage Patton? At least he'll feel good about my praise towards him
    Lol. Wut? No, I am not the drummer for Parts and Labour, but thank you anyways.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin II
    The second studio album by the supergroup Led Zeppelin has a lot to offer to rock fans. Jimmy Page delivers some of the most powerful guitar riffs out there. Whole Lotta Love opens up with super guitar and such a sexy rhythm. Robert Plant's voice makes the song entertaining along with his lyrics. They're music embodies the decade. Heartbreaker is super smooth and more guitar and bass that is just better than most musicians I'll probably ever hear in my lifetime. Even the drums stand out as great musical accomplishment. I enjoy Thank You because it has such a chill intro. I kind of feeling like I'm running through a field of daises. Plant is hitting all the key notes and the song is far different than any of their heavier guitar fast tempo tracks. Moby Dick has that cool drum break down which makes it special. Ramble On is another instant classic with the passion heard in the singing and the sexy guitar. I think you could argue that each song off this album is a classic and nothing should be skipped. Everything just sounds so carefully thought out, and makes most music today look like shit.

My rating: 9.5

straight up, i like it.

Thanks. Sorry for the lack of reviews this weekend guys. It's been a pretty busy weekend. Tomorrow I'll try to squeeze one in. Tuesday I'll do the same because Im going to Miike Snow that evening

Boredoms - Chocolate Synthesizer
    The opening track Acid Police was a big hint to me that I'd have to listen to this album with an open mind. I understand that they're Japanese so there was a strong chance they'd not be singing in English. However I don't even know if they were speaking their native language and instead just yelling random noises. That song Shock City really scared me. I honestly have no idea what was going on in that song. Some person is shrieking throughout. The instruments have no rhythm. Sounds like a cat got ripped in half, and a some girl is getting raped. Calling Anarchy in the UKK bad may be the nicest way to describe their song. At this point I'm ready to put on some Backstreet Boys because I'm developing a headache. Voredoms was a rare track that actually wasn't too terrible. It actually had some consistent tempo and something about it worth listening to. These are the kinds of records I have nightmares about. I could relate this to the feeling of being on a roller coaster where the lights are turned on, so the excitement is gone and you just want
    the ride to end because you're head hurts and you're bored

My rating: 2

BORE

Moby - 18
    Access to Arasaka - void();

Can it be Play by Moby instead?

Alexander "Skip" Spence - Oar
    A tribute album to Alexander "Skip" Spence in which he is apparently playing all the instruments. I enjoyed the consistency and flow of this album, though it was not the most exciting thing to get through. His vocals were really hit or miss for me. Diana has a very beautiful guitar melody, but he sounds like he's choking and about to die. War in Peace is far different then the other songs. It's one big trip and makes you feel like you're in a new dimension. He sounds like he had a much better time than I did. Those bonus tracks are far too out there. He kept it simple but still put together some good tunes like Little Hands and Cripple Creek.

My rating: 6.25
    Last edited by theklein25; 10-29-2012 at 10:02 PM.

VigoTheCarpathian

Every Picture Tells A Story
    Last edited by VigoTheCarpathian; 10-29-2012 at 10:12 PM.

Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin II
    The second studio album by the supergroup Led Zeppelin has a lot to offer to rock fans. Jimmy Page delivers some of the most powerful guitar riffs out there. Whole Lotta Love opens up with super guitar and such a sexy rhythm. Robert Plant's voice makes the song entertaining along with his lyrics. They're music embodies the decade. Heartbreaker is super smooth and more guitar and bass that is just better than most musicians I'll probably ever hear in my lifetime. Even the drums stand out as great musical accomplishment. I enjoy Thank You because it has such a chill intro. I kind of feeling like I'm running through a field of daises. Plant is hitting all the key notes and the song is far different than any of their heavier guitar fast tempo tracks. Moby Dick has that cool drum break down which makes it special. Ramble On is another instant classic with the passion heard in the singing and the sexy guitar. I think you could argue that each song off this album is a classic and nothing should be skipped. Everything just sounds so carefully thought out, and makes most music today look like shit.

My rating: 9.5
    I like this review, and totally agree with it.

Is this the highest rating you've given so far?

VigoTheCarpathian

Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    I like this review, and totally agree with it.

Is this the highest rating you've given so far?
    No, he has given I believe three perfect ten scores.