Default Re: theklein25 reviews albums

Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    Can we end this thread already?
    QFT
    7/23 - Fuzz - Troubadour (?)
    7/30 - Shabazz Palaces - Roxy (?)
    7/31 - Hamilton Leithauser - Echo (?)
    8/01 - Ceremony/Nothing - Roxy (?)
    8/06 - Herbie Hancock - Hollywood Bowl (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by cutterbutter View Post
    Can you stop reading this thread already?
    QFT

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

Why end the best off season thread on the forum?

Jack Rose - Kensington Blues
    Who is Jack Rose? Well I certainly had never heard his work before, but his album Kensington Blues demonstrates his ability to play the acoustic guitar. No vocals, no nothing, except his guitar. The opening track Kensington Blues has pretty cool guitar riff. Everything sounds so fluid and he's going all out. It sounds kind of like something you'd hear from the older days. Like something railroad workers would enjoy. Rappahanock River Rag has one of the cooler sounds to it. Lower sounding notes followed by higher notes going back and forth. He's going pretty fast, pretty hard to keep track of what notes he's playing. Now that I'm a Full Grown Man II starts off pretty slow. Then out of nowhere the intensity starts to build up, and this becomes a pretty crazy song. It's also close to a ten minute song, so he manages to make it feel like a 4 minute tune. Calais to Dover allows the album to go out with a big bang. All in all, Jack Rose is a pretty skilled guitarist and it's hard to complain. Hard to compare this to rap, edm, or alternative rock, but I think this rating is fair

My rating: 8
    Follow me on Twitter at Klein25
    Spoon Aug 8 Hollywood
    Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern
    The Horrors Oct 14 Santa Ana

Sugar Army - The Parallels Amongst Ourselves
    With the opening tracks of Parallels and Tongues in Cheeks I can say this album is off to one hot start. Parallels has elephant noises and an awesome intro. I like how direct they are, but you'll find out later what happens. Acute has an awesome guitar riff. The singer really sounds on his game. This song sounds like it was meant to be their jam, and I would bet this was their single. The chemistry just sounds there, so this is their best track I'd say. It has a solo that's kind of out there, and the singer sounds like he's in space. After that though my relationship with this band goes downhill and it's inevitably time for a breakup. It's not them, it's me. They bring a certain kind of energy that I've never been a fan of. Instead of being straight forward they energize people with a slower epic feel. Maybe the Boy who Just Cried Wolf was just Paranoid was pretty boring to me. You are a Possession. Up for Sale is pretty fast and has a cool guitar rhythm, and one of the standouts left.

My rating: 5.75
    Spoon Aug 8 Hollywood
    Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern

Beirut-The Rip Tide
    Rodrigo y Gabriela-Rodrigo y Gabriela
    Chase & Status-No More Idols

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post

Sugar Army - The Parallels Amongst Ourselves
    With the opening tracks of Parallels and Tongues in Cheeks I can say this album is off to one hot start. Parallels has elephant noises and an awesome intro. I like how direct they are, but you'll find out later what happens. Acute has an awesome guitar riff. The singer really sounds on his game. This song sounds like it was meant to be their jam, and I would bet this was their single. The chemistry just sounds there, so this is their best track I'd say. It has a solo that's kind of out there, and the singer sounds like he's in space. After that though my relationship with this band goes downhill and it's inevitably time for a breakup. It's not them, it's me. They bring a certain kind of energy that I've never been a fan of. Instead of being straight forward they energize people with a slower epic feel. Maybe the Boy who Just Cried Wolf was just Paranoid was pretty boring to me. You are a Possession. Up for Sale is pretty fast and has a cool guitar rhythm, and one of the standouts left.

My rating: 5.75
    Pretty much nailed it I reckon

A Tribe Called Quest - Midnight Marauders
    Phish - Hoist
    Last edited by icedKeg; 09-29-2012 at 10:45 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pee Wee Herman's Hermits View Post
    Melted my face off at Skrillex

Split Enz - History Never Repeats
    Reviewing greatest hits albums in retrospect is not fair to all the regular studio albums out there because it'd be like comparing an all-star team to a regular team. Here's my opinion anyways. The opening track I Got You is the perfect song to start the album. It's got that cool riff with a spacey keyboard. The feel of it just makes perfect for a commercial. I like the demeanor of the vocals because it suits the rhythm and sound well. The energy in the chorus is great too. Pretty much track after track Split Enz brings that new wave feel as well as art rock with that New Zealand spice. I See Red is a little too generic but the keyboard is played really fast, and it has an awesome sound. Pretty much what I take away from that track. Something about Message To My Girl made it my favorite track. I enjoy the calmness of it and the rising sound of the background sounds. The slow keyboard adds to that romantic feel, and I think this is as Finn's voice gets. Dirty Creature is the other awesome track from this collection. It starts off with a pretty funky feel. Then out of nowhere the vocals start to pick and the song gets lively. The chorus is great and the energy from the vocals makes this song. The song is fun, and I like the placement of the track. Pretty much I felt that the first half of this greatest hits album was the new wave stuff, while the second half was where the diversity stepped in and we get the more memorable tracks.

My rating: 8
    Spoon Aug 8 Hollywood
    Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern

Dirty Three - Horse Stories
    A strange band name that I really don't what to know the back story of with an album name that's nearly as puzzling but oh well. There's no singing but a pretty good gel of guitar, bass, violin, and drums. Hope has a beautiful sound. Although that whistling noise kind of hurt my ears at first, the violin and guitar were quite pleasant. It sounded like something back from the cowboy and indian days. Red is just a crazy all over the place song. I felt that it was too sloppy and really didn't feel the song despite its intensity. Warren's Lament is the highlight of the album. It has a melancholy feel to it, so I felt pretty depressed the whole time it was on. Sometimes that's the beauty in music. The first go around I really enjoyed this album, but then I listened to it a second time and the magic was gone. Didn't keep me entertained for long enough to be something I'd want to listen to again. Still is nice music when you listen to a couple songs at a time.

My rating: 7.25
    Spoon Aug 8 Hollywood
    Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern

Karnivool - Themata
    Tame Impala - Lonerism
    Gyroscope - Breed Obsession

Beirut - The Rip Tide
    It's hard not to like this band. The music is just so calming and makes you feel all good inside. It's up there as some of the best sunset music. The atmosphere that is set is one of my favorite features about this record. The opening track A Candle's Fire is soothing and the sound of the horns is beautiful. Why not take a nap in a room filled with lit candles? Well maybe because the room will catch on fire, but I would love to kick back with some candles and just enjoy this track. Santa Fe outdoes the first track with it's faster beat. The song becomes amazing when the drums kick in. The chorus that is ended with those horns is hard to top. These songs sure brighten up my day. It's a shame their Coachella set time conflicted with other important things. The Rip Tide has such a sad feel to it. The song makes me feel like I'm on a harbor dock just staring at the sunset reflecting on bitter as well as sweet moments. Definitely Beirut's best work and one of my favorite albums from last year.

My rating: 8.5
    Spoon Aug 8 Hollywood
    Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern

Rodrigo y Gabriela - Rodrigo y Gabriela
    2 members, 2 covers, and the 2nd album by the Mexican duo. The way to describe their music is pretty simple. Folk acoustic music predominantly in the style of their Mexican roots. Tamacun and Diablo Rojo are really fast paced songs with 2 acoustic guitars that are full of energy. I swear I hear drumming but that's probably from the powerful low notes. Satori is a great song itself. It's so mystical and makes me feel one with the Mexican culture. I feel that they welcome me in with open arms I could go for some cuisine. I feel that their music is something that's good to dance to if you know the moves. The Stairway to Heaven is pretty sexy, and I enjoy their take on it. You feel the elevation and then the coming back down to Earth. Very nice music.

My rating: 7
    Spoon Aug 8 Hollywood
    Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern

Chase & Status - No More Idols
    I straight up don't know what Chase & Status are considered genre wise. I think the fact that they have so many different featured artists really affects the songs. The opening track No Problem sounds like reggae mixed with hardcore electro. The song is pretty fun and I like the chaotic feel of it. The singer makes the song pretty interesting as well with his voice. I could picture lazers going off everywhere and people raving to the max. Let You Go introduces that soul/ R & B feeling. Then it gets matched with electric beats. It's pretty close to dubstep but the mixing is so well done that this is a great track. Very futuristic robotic music. Blind Faith is pretty much holy shit this song hits some high notes. Plus the reggae singing is back which is kinda exciting. Everybody at the raves would be going crazy to this track. It almost has that larger than life feel except I remind myself how many bros probably jam to this. Brixton Briefcase is incredibly terrible. Cee-Lo Green should take his one hit wonders else where. His voice is atrocious in this track, not to mention the music is just as bad. I like Embrace because it features White Lies. The song itself may not be that great, but it's got McVeigh's voice so you can't go wrong. I like what they did in this album, and all the different artists make this a fun breakbeat album.

My rating: 7.5
    Spoon Aug 8 Hollywood
    Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern

Cee Lo is far from one-hit wonder.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

I can't really speak for Goodie Mob because I don't know how much work Cee-Lo put in, but Gnarles Barkley, "Crazy" & his song "Fuck You" are both projects that resulted in one true hit.
    Spoon Aug 8 Hollywood
    Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern

^

QFT

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    I can't really speak for Goodie Mob because I don't know how much work Cee-Lo put in, but Gnarles Barkley, "Crazy" & his song "Fuck You" are both projects that resulted in one true hit.
    You clearly don't know what a "one hit wonder" is.

Boris - 7/29 - The Mohawk
    NIN/Soundgarden/ - 8/14 - Austin 360
    Woods - 8/20 - Holy Mountain
    Jamie xx - 8/27 - The Mohawk
    Little Dragon - 8/31 - Moody Theater
    Ty Segall - 9/5 - The Mohawk
    Seth Troxler - 9/5 - Vulcan Gas Company
    Black Lips/King Khan & BBQ Show - 9/12 - J. Lorraine Ghost Town

If these don't prove that Gnarles Barkley is a one hit wonder, as well as Cee-lo then I give up
    Spoon Aug 8 Hollywood
    Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

I'm really curious what exactly you think that screenshot is supposed to be proving.
    last.fm
    6/15/14 Failure - Glasshouse // 7/9/14 Cloud Nothings/Metz - Roxy
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL
    9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

I've never heard of "Forget You" before. Horrible example of a one hit wonder.

Cee-Lo is not a one hit wonder. Chumbawumba are a one hit wonder.

Cee-Lo is fucking great. or was, rather.

Here's my contribution to the thread:

Cee-Lo - Cee-Lo Green... Is the Soul Machine
    Goodie Mob - Soul Food

Then talk about Cee-Lo.

This is a banger for all times

That album, Soul Machine, is one of my favorite contemporary rnb/pop/soul albums bar none.

Quote Originally Posted by ods.. View Post
    Cee-Lo is fucking great. or was, rather.
    What makes you say this? The Lady Killer was a fantastic record IMO. Did he release something more recent that I'm unaware of?

This is one of my favorite songs of the past five years:

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

he has what appears to be a ridiculous Christmas album coming out this month
    last.fm
    6/15/14 Failure - Glasshouse // 7/9/14 Cloud Nothings/Metz - Roxy
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL
    9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

I liked the Lady Killer, I really did.

Seeing him for that terrible 20 minute set at Chella really changed the way I feel about him... I dunno I feel like he's so past his prime and just in it for the dollars now. Showing up late and throwing that fit...

And then I saw him on the Carson Daly late night show, he was performing somewhere in LA, some small club. And he was literally POURING sweat, having trouble breathing and singing well, and he looked super unhealthy/fat. Obviously, that's a judgmental way to look at someone (I'm no George Clooney, myself), but he just looked not into it at all. Kinda weirded me out.

And obviously, Lady Killer isn't anywhere as good as his old stuff, in my opinion. There are some gems on that record though, which proves he still has the chops. I wish he would show it live, you know?

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    he has what appears to be a ridiculous Christmas album coming out this month
    Oh lawl. At least he's working on another real album currently (or so wiki tells me).

Quote Originally Posted by ods.. View Post
    Seeing him for that terrible 20 minute set at Chella really changed the way I feel about him... I dunno I feel like he's so past his prime and just in it for the dollars now. Showing up late and throwing that fit...
    Ya, I hear you. That was one of my more anticipated sets. It wouldn't have been as big of a deal if he didn't spend the majority of his set complaining. Most artists tend to make the best out of shitty situations like that. The one's I've seen anyway.

He is everywhere now, I used to love him, but it seems he has traded integrity for money. Can't say I blame him, dude has kids and has been working his ass of for years to get where he is, but he just seems like a shell of what he used to be. He used to be a very insightful dude, now he just wants to party. Nothing wrong with that, but it's not anything I care to listen to.

/no fun club rant
    Last edited by stinkbutt; 10-03-2012 at 01:49 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

With you, stinkbutt. Pretty much exactly how I feel. I respect though, which is why klein (and anyone who hasn't heard his shit) should listen to those albums!