Page 26 of 54 FirstFirst ... 2122232425262728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: theklein25 reviews albums

Default Re: theklein25 reviews albums

you got to be kidding me
    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Say goodbye to that acid, Greg.

Not sure what to say about your INXS review...

Have a crack at : Regurgitator - Tu Plang

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

you were probably going to do this anyway.

September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    September 23 - The Zombies / Andy Stott
    October 2 - Beck
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 20 - Mastodon
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Festival
    October 29 - The Melvins
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 18 - Slayer

Beastie Boys - Hello Nasty
    Hello Nasty is the result of taking a party rock band and combining it with a good turntablist to create a stellar party album. The band brings their energy and they manage to keep up with their previous classics. The Move is a good rap song with a nice beat, but that chick's backup moan was super annoying. This song introduced how the turntables were going to make an impact. Song For the Man's intro is hilarious, and from their song just gets kind of weird. There's no rapping, and it's pretty much instrumental. [Intergalactic [/I] had a pretty epic intro that sounded like shit with aliens was about to go down. The mixing and rapping are too great to not call this the best song on the album. The beat is so moving, and the robot voice is different but catchy as well. How they all feed off each other makes this my favorite Beastie Boy song of all time. There are a lot of songs on this album that are solid and what you expect from the Beastie Boys. Three MC's and One DJ is a little disappointing only because I expected more if they're going to name the song that. Electrify is one of the more exciting songs to finish up the album. Hello Nasty definitely has me as a returning customer forever.

My rating: 8.25
    Follow me on Twitter at Klein25
    The Eeries The Troubadour
    Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern
    The Horrors Oct 14 Santa Ana

Future Islands - On the Water
    A Synthpop album of high production value that was just too slow for my liking. Before the Bridge and Give Us the Wind really picks things up, but it's already too late to consider this album ground breaking. On the Water has a cool drum beat to up and the keyboard adds to the nice introduction, but what's up with the guy's voice. Sounds like a clown if you ask me. The Great Fire is a pretty mystical song, and the guest vocals really help shape the song. Always hit or miss with me when we dig into this small branch of music.

My rating: 5.5
    Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern

Jay-Z - Life and Times Volume 3
    Inspectah Deck - Uncontrolled Substance
    Erik B. & Rakim - Paid in Full
    The Roots - Rising Down

What's the best album/band you've discovered from the boards? This thread or otherwise.

I guess reviewing My Bloody Valentine made me appreciate them more than I had in the past.

I also like the Minus the Bear choice and They Might Be Giants was fun. The reviews on my queue and all the new albums that have been coming out make it hard to go back and revisit
    Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern

As we lose steam on him reviewing albums, this thread is now the "Getting to know TheKlein25" thread.

TheKlein25, having been at this place for a year (the forums), what was your best experience? What was your worst? Which of the women here would stand behind at a concert while heavily breathing down their neck?

Royksopp - Melody AM
    Duke Ellington - The Legenday Duke Ellington
    B Tribe - 5

My best experience on this forum may have been trolling people with the RHCP secret show question. That or the LMFAO thread which was hilarious as well.

The worst was people criticizing Kroq ACX night 1 because that was an awesome lineup before Incubus canceled.

I don't know how to answer the question regarding the women on here because I've met none in person and if I had an answer I probably wouldn't say for now because that just makes me sound like a creeper.
    Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern

Daughn Gibson - All Hell
    Some guy from a band I've never heard of decided to take a different direction to put out an album that isn't half bad. It sounds like country performed in a very dark manner. In The Beginning has a good keyboard rhythm and a pretty good chorus. The lyrics do get dark, plus on top of that the vocals are so unique and go well with the instruments to create these established tones. Honestly the vocals sound pretty old school, but the modern sound of the instruments counteract that. Rain on a Highway gave me that trapped in a dark cave feeling due to the solemn tone. I really liked the pacing and piano in that song. There was so much going on in this album I had to listen to it numerous times just to better understand the elements. Drum beats were pretty simple but they carried well, and I just really liked the tempo. Ray is a super soothing track. Nice vocals and suggestion.

My rating: 7.5
    Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern

Swans - The Seer

This ain't no middle of the mall shit.

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    For Linkin Park this is kind of embarrassing, but this song would be great live if you just wanna have fun and grind on a girl.
    Diarrhea Planet 2015

Regurgitator - Tu-Plang
    This band knows how to keep it real. Who cares what people think because I Sucked a Lot of Cock to Get Where I Am is a jam. I like the start it brings to the album and why not speak about something a lot of people do. Besides the lyrics the guitar and rhythm were pretty tight. Kong Foo Sling was definitely 311ish with that turntable and beat, which made it another cool song. Next thing you know they get a little experimental and G7 Dick Electro Boogie is another lazer tag gem. Track 4 is elevator music to me. F.S.O. was another bad ass song, with that killer drum beat, and bass line. It may almost been on the level of Korn so beware. Still a good track. Blubber Boy ended with such a cliff hanger... I loved it. They reminded me of a lot of other bands I listen to just not on the same caliber. Pretty fun record though if you're into that rap rock, and pop punk feeling.

My rating: 7.25
    Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern

Daughn Gibson - All Hell
    This is one of my favorite albums of the year. Nice review, Klein, seriously. I agree with and liked a lot of the things you said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pee Wee Herman's Hermits View Post
    Melted my face off at Skrillex

thanks icedKeg!

Coming soon...
    Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern

Don't bother. It is awful.

For Linkin Park this is kind of embarrassing, but this song would be great live if you just wanna have fun and grind on a girl.
    Diarrhea Planet 2015

Quote Originally Posted by LickTheLizzard View Post
    Swans - The Seer

I'm listening to this album right now and I'm really stoned. So far so good.

#420NO

Diarrhea Planet 2015

Pretty fair review of Regurgitator I reckon, just bear in mind it was released in 1996.

Jane's Addiction - Nothing's Shocking

Jay-Z - Vol. 3... Life and Times of S. Carter
    Compared to Jay-Z's previous albums and relative to the time this is the best album he had put out. His effect as a MC became pretty career defining and establishing him a reputation as a supreme rapper heading into the 21st century. He tries to act all gangster in his tracks So Ghetto, which has a cool piano breakdown and explicit lyrics, as well as plenty of other tracks. In all reality he's more of a celebrity who lives the lifestyle of the rich and famous and would be seen at all the same events as Bieber. No track sounds similar to another and the rapping is done very well. Not the greatest when it comes to beats, but still a powerful rap album.

My rating: 8.5
    Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern

Inspectah Deck - Uncontrolled Substance
    Another solid gangster album released in 1999. This is Deck's turn to shine as he has always been one of the more overshadowed members from Wu-Tang Clan. Movas & Shakers has cool horns. Feels like the ultimate pimp song. He's a pretty good rapper and has a good selection of guests. I like the piano outro on Forget Me Not. Longevity and Elevation are some of my favorites. Wasn't a huge fan of this album but it was still good. I'm more into the beats when it comes to rap and not so much drawn in by the lyrics.

My rating: 7
    Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern

Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    I'm listening to this album right now and I'm really stoned. So far so good.
    I bet. I wish I had some weed right now. I wonder how fucked up would it be to see Swans on shrooms.
    9/10 Swans @ Roxy, 9/17 Karen O at Masonic Lodge, 9/19 Tokimonsta @ El Rey, 9/20 Chvrches @ Tower Theatre, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/3-4 Desert Stars, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/22-25 CMJ, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

That would be terrifying.

Diarrhea Planet 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post
    I bet. I wish I had some weed right now. I wonder how fucked up would it be to see Swans on shrooms.
    Yeah, that's probably a bad idea. But also potentially genius.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Eric B. & Rakim

The opening track is pure genius. I Ain't No Joke has such a funky fresh beat. I really like how slick the turntable sounds. The horn melody is awesome too. My favorite song without a doubt has to be Paid in Full. I have no idea where I've heard it before but it sounds very familiar. The drum beat is pretty sexy and the vocal effect of people saying phrases adds the exotic feel. There's some sick turntable action and the rapping is superb as well. Eric B. Is President has a lot of random sound effects going on and the chorus makes this as I imagine one of the better songs to blaze to on the record. I feel that by avoiding the gangster route they helped pave the way for a lot of future hip hop artists. The rapping by Rakim is really good and it set up a foundation.

My rating: 8
    Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern

The Roots - Rising Down
    One of the more intense intros I've heard, but what a mood changer when Rising Down begins. I really like the message conveyed in that song. 2008 was a tough year and definitely a lot of issues to address. The lyrics are executed well as well as the beat, which is really enhanced with those backup vocals. Get Busy has the gnarly turntables and muffle sounds. Whoever is saying south side, north side sounds cool. As the album moves on forward I get more impressed with the drums. They are just great. Criminal straight up sounds like a rock song. Great bass intro and guitar melody. Something about that song reminds me of a hip hop version of Scar Tissue until rapping enters. There's a small portion of Rising Down where I get bored, but then The Roots manage to reel me back in with Lost Desire. They rap with that swag, sometimes they create too dark of a mood, but still a very enjoyable album.

My rating: 8
    Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern

The Mountain Goats - Transcendental Youth
    This album really begins with Lakeside View Apartment Suite. The slow piano and slow singing sounds more like a story than a song. The entrance of the bass and drums nearly transforms this song into a musical number. I like to imagine the singer on a broadway stage acting out the lyrics. A very relaxing and enjoyable track. The tone of these songs makes The Mountain Goats sound very friendly and inviting. Harlem Roulette has a pretty fast pace, and track that was composed excellently. I really like the imagery in these songs. They create these stories out of songs, rather than just your conventional thoughts or not descriptive song. Counterfeit Florida Plates has a silly opening by mentioning the mess made by sunscreen that was stole from a CVS. Another relaxing track with an uplifting mood. John Darnielle doesn't have the greatest voice but he's able to utilize in a way that complements the instruments almost flawlessly. The horns in Transcendental Youth make for the perfect outro. For what the album focuses on, which apparently is outcasts and mentally ill, they do a great job at making it sound like a happy and peaceful record.

My rating: 7.75
    Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern

I'm glad you enjoyed it. I once heard going to a Mountain Goats show described as "triumphantly screaming along to songs of desperation" which I think fits them perfectly.

They seem like they'd be fun live. A festival set would be cool
    Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern