Page 20 of 54 FirstFirst ... 1516171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: theklein25 reviews albums

Default Re: theklein25 reviews albums

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    I Fucked Your Dad is another good song because of the nice instrumental outro
    Best sentence ever.
    This ain't no middle of the mall shit.

For Linkin Park this is kind of embarrassing, but this song would be great live if you just wanna have fun and grind on a girl.
    Diarrhea Planet 2015

Blur - Parklife
    When you hear people talk about Britpop, Parklife has to come to mind because it at one point set the standard. Girls and Boys is the record's best song. It has a very recognizable chorus and the biggest hit off that album. It has that catchy rhythm as well My 2nd favorite song off this album has always been Tracy Jacks just because it has such a happy tone and I love the whammy on the guitar. There is a good collection of string and brass instruments that go into this record which really adds to the atmosphere. To the End stands out as well because Damon demonstrates his vocal range and the song sounds like pure fantasy. The album cover is one of my favorites by far. There is no better time to listen to this record than on a bright sunny day.

My rating: 8
    Follow me on Twitter at Klein25
    Spoon Aug 8 Hollywood
    Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern
    The Horrors Oct 14 Santa Ana

Bear vs. Shark - Terrorhawk
    I loved the energy Catamaran gave off. I think it defined post-hardcore perfectly. That was my favorite song by far, and if these guys ever reunite I would see them just to mosh to that song. After that each song is hit or miss. There are some songs that I would normally skip because the vocals are too shaky. Of the 13 true songs, I would say 10 are really awesome. I Fucked Your Dad is another good song because of the nice instrumental outro, which I think should have been used more in their other songs. Still was a good recommendation.

My rating: 7
    Ok.. Ok... I wish it could of been a 7.1 thinking this album is on the same level as daughtry makes me cringe a bit but thats cool.... so if you like this im going to put out one more album that I absolutely loved in high school The Fall of troy Doppleganger.... I listened to it recently and it sounds a little outdated but still for me is awesome hope you enjoy!

WU LYF - Go Tell Fire to the Mountain
    Prior to the release of this album I remember there being a lot of hype for their debut album. The album itself is pretty solid indie rock with very atmospheric elements which adds to the buildup and epic feel. Such a Sad Puppy Dog is one of those songs that makes me feel like I'm flying. I also just picture things blowing up all around me as if I'm on a battlefield. The negative thing I have to say is the vocals are below average. It's something that took me a few songs to get used to. Overall it's a good listen because of the buildups and then the delivery.

My rating: 7
    Spoon Aug 8 Hollywood
    Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern

The vocals of WY LYF does take some time to get used to. It seems like people either love or hate the band, but I feel like there really is no one like them, and they are amazing live.

Insane Clown Posse - The Great Milenko

Personally, I loved the WU LYF vocals instantly.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Women just obviously can't write creative music. They're all ripping off the Beatles, who were men. Duh.

Quote Originally Posted by rasooli View Post
    The vocals of WY LYF does take some time to get used to. It seems like people either love or hate the band, but I feel like there really is no one like them, and they are amazing live.

Insane Clown Posse - The Great Milenko
    I'll take this one in the other thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

Cog - The New Normal

Townes Van Zandt - Live at the Old Quarter
    Taking place in Houston Texas, country singer Townes Van Zandt gives a live performance showcasing his early material. All the songs have a soft acoustic melody and Van Zandt sings in a country/folk style. If I Needed You defines his musical style well. He sings about his girl and plays the acoustic guitar. The mood his performance sets is very calming and his music is chill. Though I listened to the album I can't rank it on my normal scale.

My live album rating: 7.5
    Spoon Aug 8 Hollywood
    Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern

Stars of the Lid - And Their Refinement of the Decline
    Mysterious and dark is where this album by Stars of the Lid begins. And Their Refinement of the Decline is a two hour two-disc release. Articulate Silences Part 2 is very moving by the way it is presented. The song reminds me of death just by how dark it is. It'd make a good effect to a scene where someone is drowning. Things lighten up in The Evil That Never Arrived. The horns are much more positive and the atmosphere goes from dark to bright. There is never is a steady emotion on disc one, which helps create this ambient mystery. Side 2 is much along the lines of the first side. They create these waves that allow the mind to come up with much more than what went into the music itself. There is a lot of movie soundtracking potential with these tracks, but more importantly if you're into droning then adds this into your collection.

My rating: 8.5
    Spoon Aug 8 Hollywood
    Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern

Justice - †
    The debut record from the French electro house duo. Parties and fun is the result of this album. They bring their own element into this genre. By creating very heavy drops and beats, Justice becomes very easy to identify. Genesis gets going right away and features some nice breakdowns. You want to clap along but also time is moving so fast that there is no time to think. The album takes big turn when introducing D.A.N.C.E. Now we discover there is much more to Justice than just hardcore elecro house. Vocals are a big derivative to this track and the mixing has a much more friendly beat. Justice has so much confidence in Phantom that they added a second part that immediately follows part 1. The track features a very fast rhythm, a groovy bass line, and never gets old. Justice welcome themselves nicely in the new era of electronic music.

My rating: 8.5
    Spoon Aug 8 Hollywood
    Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern

Just for the record, I have always thought Tinariwen are decent at best on record, but are absolutely phenomenal live.

Also, that WU LYF review is the funniest one yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Starfucker - Starfucker
    Such a strange band name. However their debut album opens with a pretty nice bang. Florida possesses a nice spacey electronic rhythm that creates an entertaining track. There is some guy talking in the background, which may not have been so necessary but luckily it worked out. After that things start to dip. The songs get less creative and it is not until Laadeedaa that this roller coaster ride heads back upwards. I'm pretty sure they're pretending to speak in an alien language, but at least they have a fast drum beat and fun rhythm. Following that song things get really spacey but the downside is there are a lot of underwhelming songs that accompany this atmosphere. Overall the album didn't live up to it's potential.

My rating: 5
    Spoon Aug 8 Hollywood
    Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern

Reptilians is a much better and developed album from them.

Someone should suggest an album that I can rip to shreds
    Spoon Aug 8 Hollywood
    Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern

Townes Van Zandt - Live at the Old Quarter
    Taking place in Houston Texas, country singer Townes Van Zandt gives a live performance showcasing his early material. All the songs have a soft acoustic melody and Van Zandt sings in a country/folk style. If I Needed You defines his musical style well. He sings about his girl and plays the acoustic guitar. The mood his performance sets is very calming and his music is chill. Though I listened to the album I can't rank it on my normal scale.

My live album rating: 7.5
    I think Townes was going for a chill feeling with his music, so he'd probably be happy to read your description.

Glad you liked SotL.
    Last edited by IceyHotshot; 08-06-2012 at 12:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by IceyHotshot View Post
    Is the Stars of the Lid review still on the way, or did I miss it?
    read a couple posts up and its there.

Quote Originally Posted by Mugwog View Post
    I have no idea what this is, but i'm a little scared
    Spoon Aug 8 Hollywood
    Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern

HAHAHAH Oh you 90s babies.

9/10 Swans @ Roxy, 9/18 Neutral Milk Hotel & Daniel Johnston @ Hollywood Bowl, 9/19 Tokimonsta @ El Rey, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/3-4 Desert Stars, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/22-25 CMJ, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

Do both albums, followed up by

I'd like to hear your thoughts on the "Nookie"
    Hed PE guitarist Wes Geer said that "Nookie" is "cheesy and is not as good as [Hed PE's song] 'Bartender'. ['Nookie' has] a catchy hook, but at least in my opinion, it's just kind of dumb. But somewhere along the way the business decided to support that one harder than they did 'Bartender', you know."
    Wes sounded kind of jelly.

Nirvana - In Utero
    After the breakout success of Nevermind, Kurt Cobain wanted to take Nirvana back to its roots. The band recorded some of their songs that they had been working on since their Bleach days. Apparently the record label flipped out because they believed In Utero would not succeed. The album is far grungier and contains much more explicit lyrics over their previous release. The good thing is that they still kept that distinguishable sound and from the second the record begins you know it's Nirvana. Heart-Shaped Box was a very successful single. The guitar riff is pretty classic and the lyrics are easy to memorize. The story behind those lyrics are still a mystery, I'd rather not believe a word that comes out of Love's mouth. Rape Me is a controversial track that I'm pretty sure turned off a lot of marketers and hearing that song on the radio is always awkward. Dumb might be my favorite song. The cello on that track makes it sexy, and it's such a simple song with a powerful message. Nirvana sealed their legacy with their second superior album of the 90's, thus proving they were at least the best band from 91-94. This is one of my favorite records to just have on when I'm feeling down, and there's no better environment for it then in a room all by yourself.

My rating: 9
    Spoon Aug 8 Hollywood
    Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern

Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    Joe Strummer - Streetcore, please.
    Seconded

Aphex Twin - Come to Daddy
    A strange and bizarre E.P. There is a bit of thrill and excitement that is endured by listening to Aphex Twin's Come to Daddy. That can get overshadowed by the strangeness of the whole record. The album cover is freaky just for starters. Come to Daddy (Pappy Mix) sounds like the devil's music. Demons are unleashed and I embrace myself for maybe getting dragged down to hell. Still was an interesting electronic song. The next song Flim had a cool beat, but nothing else on the E.P. is really worth talking about. I'm indifferent.

My rating: 5.25
    Spoon Aug 8 Hollywood
    Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern

Aphex Twin - Richard D. James Album

Aphex Twin - Come to Daddy
    A strange and bizarre E.P. There is a bit of thrill and excitement that is endured by listening to Aphex Twin's Come to Daddy. That can get overshadowed by the strangeness of the whole record. The album cover is freaky just for starters. Come to Daddy (Pappy Mix) sounds like the devil's music. Demons are unleashed and I embrace myself for maybe getting dragged down to hell. Still was an interesting electronic song. The next song Flim had a cool beat, but nothing else on the E.P. is really worth talking about. I'm indifferent.

My rating: 5.25

Also... you really need to watch this video.