Page 15 of 54 FirstFirst ... 1011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
Results 421 to 450 of 1596

Thread: theklein25 reviews albums

  1. #421
    Coachella Junkie cutterbutter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    6,337

    Default Re: theklein25 reviews albums

    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    has he done airplane over the sea yet?
    Please no.

  2. #422
    Coachella Junkie Boourns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    nowhere
    Posts
    26,447

    Default Re: theklein25 reviews albums

    Caninus - Now the Animals Have a Voice
    4/27 Ghost B.C. @ Fonda, 4/30 Mono @ Troubadour, 5/3 I Break Horses @ Bootleg Theater, 5/19 Lykke Li @ The Theatre at Ace, 5/28-6/1 Primavera Sound, 6/18-22 Sled Island, 8/2 Burger a-Go-Go

  3. #423
    VigoTheCarpathian
    Guest

    Default Re: theklein25 reviews albums

    Beethoven's 9th

  4. #424
    old school theklein25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Long Beach, California
    Posts
    2,618

    Default Re: theklein25 reviews albums

    Quote Originally Posted by VigoTheCarpathian View Post
    I'm a little disappointed that you didn't like this album Klein. I was hoping that it was going to be the one that made you go "aha, that's what they're talking about."
    Yeah I know you wanted me to like it, but that type of music usually doesn't fly well with me. Elliot Smith is really good though
    Follow me on Twitter at Klein25
    Foster the People - April 8 @ Pomona

  5. #425
    old school theklein25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Long Beach, California
    Posts
    2,618

    Default Re: theklein25 reviews albums

    Quote Originally Posted by VigoTheCarpathian View Post
    Loveless
    My Bloody Valentine nice.
    I have listened to Neutral Milk Hotel before, that's about all I'm gonna say
    Follow me on Twitter at Klein25
    Foster the People - April 8 @ Pomona

  6. #426
    VigoTheCarpathian
    Guest

    Default Re: theklein25 reviews albums

    Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    Elliot Smith is really good though
    Interesting. And you hated Metal Machine Music, which is understandable, but you gave Throbbing Gristle an 8.

  7. #427
    Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    8,423

    Default Re: theklein25 reviews albums

    Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post
    Caninus - Now the Animals Have a Voice
    I remember a Howard Stern episode about this

  8. #428

    Default Re: theklein25 reviews albums

    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    SHUT THE FUCK UP
    lol

  9. #429
    old school theklein25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Long Beach, California
    Posts
    2,618

    Default Re: theklein25 reviews albums



    The Cramps - Songs the Lord Taught Us
    A solid album by a band that put a new spin on punk. Songs the Lord Taught Us paved the way for a new genre known as psychobilly. I Was a Teenage Werewolf begins with an old school rock n roll feeling with a bluesy guitar riff. Even though they were innovative in their own way, I wasn't a fan of the second side of the record because it turned into generic punk where it became a lot of yelling and singing a repetitive line. The album is certainly good, and served as an influence, but their music was still just above average.

    My rating: 6.5
    Follow me on Twitter at Klein25
    Foster the People - April 8 @ Pomona

  10. #430
    old school theklein25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Long Beach, California
    Posts
    2,618

    Default Re: theklein25 reviews albums



    Husker Du - Zen Arcade
    Epic could not be emphasized enough when describing this album. Broken Home, Broken Heart and Charter Trips draw me in with awesome guitar riffs and fast tempo, and it really never slows down. The record is composed of a lot of tracks that are under 3 minutes, and with mostly fast songs it feels like you're flying through a 70 minute album. I'll Never Forget You possesses such a great guitar solo complemented with such an angry tone by the singer. The Tooth Fairy and the Princess held a nice instrumental break, which set up Turn on the News, one of their best songs, perfectly. Piano even sneaks its way into this punk album. There is very little wrong with this record and its influence would help create my favorite genre.

    My rating: 9.25
    Follow me on Twitter at Klein25
    Foster the People - April 8 @ Pomona

  11. #431
    Member FEELS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Palm Desert, CA
    Posts
    2,019

    Default Re: theklein25 reviews albums

    Great review ^

  12. #432
    The Encyclopedia bmack86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bishop, CA
    Posts
    27,721

    Default Re: theklein25 reviews albums

    Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post


    Husker Du - Zen Arcade
    Epic could not be emphasized enough when describing this album. Broken Home, Broken Heart and Charter Trips draw me in with awesome guitar riffs and fast tempo, and it really never slows down. The record is composed of a lot of tracks that are under 3 minutes, and with mostly fast songs it feels like you're flying through a 70 minute album. I'll Never Forget You possesses such a great guitar solo complemented with such an angry tone by the singer. The Tooth Fairy and the Princess held a nice instrumental break, which set up Turn on the News, one of their best songs, perfectly. Piano even sneaks its way into this punk album. There is very little wrong with this record and its influence would help create my favorite genre.

    My rating: 9.25
    Thought you'd like that.

    Dinosaur Jr. - Bug
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

  13. #433
    old school theklein25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Long Beach, California
    Posts
    2,618

    Default Re: theklein25 reviews albums

    I've only listened to the 90's Dinosaur Jr, so this will be cool
    Follow me on Twitter at Klein25
    Foster the People - April 8 @ Pomona

  14. #434
    Member vulcandeathgrip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Down Here
    Posts
    258

    Default Re: theklein25 reviews albums

    Between The Devil And The Deep - Self Titled

  15. #435
    Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    8,763

    Default Re: theklein25 reviews albums

    Zola Jesus - Stridulum EP

    and give us a Klein's choice review sometime soon.
    April 22 - Thee Silver Mt. Zion Memorial
    April 24 - Godflesh / Mogwai
    April 26 - Cloud Nothings
    May 1 - Ghost
    May 2-4 - Austin Psych Fest
    May 23 - Saint Vitus
    May 27 - Fu Manchu
    June 6-8 - X Games Concerts
    June 12-14 - Sónar Barcelona
    June 27 - Deafheaven / Swans


    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    Muse might as well named themselves the Pablo Honeys.

  16. #436
    old school theklein25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Long Beach, California
    Posts
    2,618

    Default Re: theklein25 reviews albums



    Colin Stetson - New History Warfare Vol. 2: Judges
    An interesting jazz album created by Stetson that gave me a new outlook on jazz. To me a lot of that album was composed of cacophonous sounds, but he made it work and got praise by the critics. When I listened to this record I felt that I went from listening to a horror movie soundtrack that quickly changed into a collection of whale calls and velociraptors from Jurassic Park. I noted that The Stars in His Head [Dark Lights Remix] Bell Orchestre was where I thought of the whale party. Clothed in the Skin of the Dead had a pretty cool melody and sounded like a jazz battle was about to ensue. Red Horse (Judges ll) sounded like a basketball song to me because it sounded like shoes were making that squeaking sound when they make contact with the court, but about halfway through that song the velociraptor interrupts and it sounds like its dying. I wasn't a huge fan because the sounds weren't pleasant enough for me. Weird album, probably an even weirder review

    My rating: 5.25
    Follow me on Twitter at Klein25
    Foster the People - April 8 @ Pomona

  17. #437
    old school theklein25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Long Beach, California
    Posts
    2,618

    Default Re: theklein25 reviews albums



    Chemical Brothers - Surrender
    When it comes to electronica you can't go wrong with The Chemical Brothers. Surrender is one of their most supreme albums because it is strong from start to finish. Music: Response already makes it a blast because it's got such a good beat. The production and mixing that went into Surrender is hard to top because not a second is lost. When you get Noel Gallagher (Let Forever Be, a name that would so be an Oasis song) to sing for one of your songs then you know this album is for real. That's definitely one of my favorite tracks, along with Out of Control because not only do these songs have great beats, but the vocals take it up a notch. A Sleep From Day I would say is the weakest track, but the album is saved by Hey Boy Hey Girl, which is arguably the strongest track on the album because the music just loses you and makes you want to dance forever to it. The album cover is awesome as well. I would say this has to their second best, if not their greatest album.

    My rating: 9.25
    Follow me on Twitter at Klein25
    Foster the People - April 8 @ Pomona

  18. #438
    old school theklein25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Long Beach, California
    Posts
    2,618

    Default Re: theklein25 reviews albums

    I had in my queue that Hank Williams 3 - Straight to Hell is next , went to see who requested it, but the post is gone. If whoever requested it wants me to still do it let me know. Faking the books is now next
    Follow me on Twitter at Klein25
    Foster the People - April 8 @ Pomona

  19. #439

    Default Re: theklein25 reviews albums

    Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post


    Colin Stetson - New History Warfare Vol. 2: Judges
    An interesting jazz album created by Stetson that gave me a new outlook on jazz. To me a lot of that album was composed of cacophonous sounds, but he made it work and got praise by the critics. When I listened to this record I felt that I went from listening to a horror movie soundtrack that quickly changed into a collection of whale calls and velociraptors from Jurassic Park. I noted that The Stars in His Head [Dark Lights Remix] Bell Orchestre was where I thought of the whale party. Clothed in the Skin of the Dead had a pretty cool melody and sounded like a jazz battle was about to ensue. Red Horse (Judges ll) sounded like a basketball song to me because it sounded like shoes were making that squeaking sound when they make contact with the court, but about halfway through that song the velociraptor interrupts and it sounds like its dying. I wasn't a huge fan because the sounds weren't pleasant enough for me. Weird album, probably an even weirder review

    My rating: 5.25
    Lol, weird review indeed. I get that this record can sound harsh, but it's easily one of my fqvorite albums ever. Also I wouldn't really call it jazz. Thanks for listening.
    Philip Glass Ensemble - Philip Glass - Tycho - William Tyler - Nickel Creek - Jandek - Liars - The Mountain Goats - Arcade Fire - Swans

  20. #440
    Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    8,423

    Default Re: theklein25 reviews albums

    Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    I had in my queue that Hank Williams 3 - Straight to Hell is next , went to see who requested it, but the post is gone. If whoever requested it wants me to still do it let me know. Faking the books is now next
    It was me, I was drunk and listening to it at the time so I just posted it. Feel free

  21. #441
    Member santasutt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Mass
    Posts
    2,063

    Default Re: theklein25 reviews albums

    Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post


    The Cramps - Songs the Lord Taught Us
    A solid album by a band that put a new spin on punk. Songs the Lord Taught Us paved the way for a new genre known as psychobilly. I Was a Teenage Werewolf begins with an old school rock n roll feeling with a bluesy guitar riff. Even though they were innovative in their own way, I wasn't a fan of the second side of the record because it turned into generic punk where it became a lot of yelling and singing a repetitive line. The album is certainly good, and served as an influence, but their music was still just above average.

    My rating: 6.5
    Thrifty, Klein. The Soviet judge gave it a solid 8.
    Quote Originally Posted by Starraven View Post
    Can I be in a great mood because I don't have an upcoming jail date?

  22. #442
    old school theklein25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Long Beach, California
    Posts
    2,618

    Default Re: theklein25 reviews albums



    Lali Puna - Faking the Books
    Nice cohesion of drums and electronic to produce this chill listen by Lali Puna. I was typing up a document while I had this on and it set such a pleasant atmosphere. The vocals were pretty nice as well. Each song had a nice to ring to it. People I Know was a favorite of mine. Not many complaints, I just wouldn't call it a stand out album.

    My rating: 7.5
    Follow me on Twitter at Klein25
    Foster the People - April 8 @ Pomona

  23. #443
    old school Mr. Fuzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    theFUZZHOUSE
    Posts
    2,820

    Default Re: theklein25 reviews albums

    People Under the Stairs, O.S.T.
    I just want to have something to do...

  24. #444
    Member MostlyMellow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Sacramento
    Posts
    210

    Default Re: theklein25 reviews albums

    Thats what the album aims for. Hypnotic put you at ease . You appreciate it more as you get older I think. But you definitely will. Nice review

  25. #445
    old school theklein25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Long Beach, California
    Posts
    2,618

    Default Re: theklein25 reviews albums

    thanks! Expect a Gaslight Anthem review on Tuesday!
    Follow me on Twitter at Klein25
    Foster the People - April 8 @ Pomona

  26. #446
    Coachella Junkie getbetter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    East Palo Alto
    Posts
    8,187

    Default Re: theklein25 reviews albums

    Just remember Taco is a eight.

    Simian Mobile Disco, Earth @ Pappy and Harriet's 04/26/15
    Austin Psych Fest @ Carson Creek Ranch 05/02-04/14
    The Decemberist @ Crystal Ballroom 05/30/14
    Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds @ The Warfield 07/07/14


    Last.fm
    Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    thanks for whatever you did in mexico.



  27. #447

    Default Re: theklein25 reviews albums

    I'm going to ask you to listen to the record that introduced me to ambient music, and was really an enormous watershed for me. It's not the best ambient record I've heard, nor is it my favorite, but it was hugely influential to my tastes and although I doubt it will have the same effect on you, I recommend it with the hope that you will hear somewhat of what I did the day I first put it on. Please listen with headphones.

    Tim Hecker - Ravedeath, 1972
    Philip Glass Ensemble - Philip Glass - Tycho - William Tyler - Nickel Creek - Jandek - Liars - The Mountain Goats - Arcade Fire - Swans

  28. #448
    Coachella Junkie cutterbutter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    6,337

    Default Re: theklein25 reviews albums

    theklein25 reviews books:

    Our Band Could Be Your Life by Michael Azerrad

  29. #449
    old school theklein25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Long Beach, California
    Posts
    2,618

    Default Re: theklein25 reviews albums

    I appreciate the suggestion, but Cutter you really expect me to review a book? Literature is a strong subject of mine, but sounds like lots of effort

    Will do Iceyhotshot
    Last edited by theklein25; 07-20-2012 at 09:57 PM.
    Follow me on Twitter at Klein25
    Foster the People - April 8 @ Pomona

  30. #450
    The Encyclopedia bmack86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bishop, CA
    Posts
    27,721

    Default Re: theklein25 reviews albums

    Our Band Could Be Your Life is probably the single most influential music-related writing I've read in my life. I couldn't recommend it more highly to anyone interested at all in punk, alternative rock and independent American music.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Similar Threads

  1. allmusic.com reviews
    By benhur in forum Music Lounge
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 08-11-2012, 09:00 AM
  2. reviews
    By Bellecour in forum Past Experiences
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-17-2012, 09:50 PM
  3. How theklein25 believes it's going down
    By theklein25 in forum Misc. Babble
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 03-29-2012, 09:16 AM
  4. Dome Reviews
    By lasdnb in forum Line Up/Artists
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 04-24-2009, 01:57 PM
  5. Sat band reviews
    By Hawkings in forum Line Up/Artists
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 03-01-2008, 07:00 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •