Page 48 of 54 FirstFirst ... 4344454647484950515253 ... LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,440 of 1597

Thread: theklein25 reviews albums

Default Re: theklein25 reviews albums

xx (2009)
    The XX utilize the indie pop sound to create a darker but more relaxed sound that creates an intimate experience with the listener. Not only is this good atmospheric music, but music that is fascinating and really strung well together. Crystalized is the first song that grabs my attention. The singing by Romy Madley Croft and Oliver Sim is very surreal. The guitar intro of this song gives me the chills and not knowing what's behind the door. The two singers complement each other, while Jamie XX provides the atmospheric sound effects in the background. The main chorus is very catchy, and the flow of the guitar creates an awesome sensation. The best song of this album is Islands mainly because the bass throughout this song is outstanding. Sim's voice creates a super chilling feeling. The drum beat can kind of get you dancing but really I'd rather just chill to this song. Heart Skipped a Beat has a very steady rhythm and one of the more upbeat songs on this record. On the other hand, Fantasy is a scary dark song. Sims takes this song by himself. It's very quiet, until some loud guitar notes and mixing come in, and make this a chilling experience. You feel like something tragic has just happened. Infinity is another quiet song that builds up to become a loud tense song. There's some really solid guitar playing and nice vocals from Croft. The outro of this song is where you hear the loudest notes. The debut album by The XX is quality work and nails what they're trying to accomplish. The XX make a name for themselves with this album and create their own distinct sound.

My rating: 8

Coexist (2012)
    The XX have a tough task to please fans with their second studio album. Angels is a very soft opening track. It provides a good melody and chilling vocals from Croft. Not something to get crazy over but at least it's pretty. Chained is a much better song. From the very beginning with the drum symbols being hit to the transition to a very nice beat created by the mixing and drums. The singing throughout is pretty great, and then that vintage XX sound comes in with a short guitar solo. The chemistry in the band is just there. Try is kind of tropical feeling, and I want to picture coconuts and a sunset on the beach. Sunset makes a very nice single. There are awesome drops throughout. The drum beat is something new, and you can hear the bass shaping the song. Not as crazy about the vocals as I am the rhythm and beat. Tides starts with Sim and Croft singing in unison. Once Jamie Smith contributes his touch this song becomes really good. One of the best rhythms I've ever heard out of the XX. These were the best songs I felt on this album. The rest of them were solid, but kind of dull at times. Coexist is a good second album by the band as they prove not to be just a one album band.

My rating: 7
    Follow me on Twitter at Klein25
    The Eeries The Troubadour
    Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern
    The Horrors Oct 14 Santa Ana

The Postal Service - Give Up (2003)

Give up is the debut and only studio album by the indie pop band The Postal Service. The opening song The District Sleeps Alone Tonight is very relaxing and the vocals from Jenny Lewis make it pretty. The drum beat is pretty cool, while the electronic effects make feel like a computer. Tempo picks up out of nowhere. Such great Heights is the most popular song for several reasons. That electric keyboard intro is super orginal and every person has their own images of what they see. More of a standout is those electric drums. They carry the song's beat and make it incrediby catchy. There's a guitar solo to set up the bridge back to the main chorus where Ben Gibbard's innocent soundig voice makes the song. Sleeping In sounds like a little kid pondering life, so the appeal is great for kindergardenters. Recycled Air is one of my favorites on this album. The keyboard and studio effects provide such a nice and pretty rhythm. The guitar is really pleasant, and Gibbard's voice is sung in the tone I like the most. It's at a much slower pace you can just enjoy the song and enjoy the beauty of the recording. We Will Become Silhouettes opens with accordians and a very calming sound. There's a rush making you feel like you're about to get into a hot air balloon. The song becomes one ambient electronic poppy tune. Brand New Colony is Such Great Heights Part 2, but recorded to be apart of the Mario franchise. The Natural Anthem is completely different than everything we've heard before and one crazy exit song. The keyboards and drums create an electrifying feeling. The Postal Service aren't a band that will blow you away with their energy, but rather the rhythms and connection they create with the listener with music that just feels easy to relate to. Each song is layered so nicely to give it some great depth and feel.

Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern

Good stuff. Thought this thread was dead.

Thanks. I needed an extended break so I could do things like this,

Von (1997)

Von is the debut album by the post-rock band Sigur Rós of Iceland. The band didn't know what kind of success they would have, so there were very few copies released initially. The opening track Sigur Rós sounds like the machines are being released and we're all about to die. The screaming that arises is just spooky and really grabs my attention. It sounds like we're in a cave and all the creepy screaming intensifies. I'm left speechless by this epic rock song of pure ambience. Once Myrku comes on I know it's going to remain as one of the best songs on the album. The bass and guitar create this galatic warp in my mind. All i can picture is the night sky. I'm really impressed by the sound and the shredding to creature such unique sounds. Von is a very chilling song. The guitar is very fluid and the step of each note is smooth, while the drum beat is excellent. Mistur has eery sounds with a high pitched voice that probably puts their fans to tears. A pretty voice, but it's so foreign sounding it might as well be an alien singing. Rukrym has over 6 minutes of silence but then becomes Myrky but backwards. It's so neat to hear an already awesome song get played backwards to sound like something completely different and become another great song It feels like a rebirth in spirit. The atmosphere this album sets is pretty hard to top and I have to say they were really strong from the start.

My rating: 8.25

Ágætis byrjun (1999)
    Svefn-g-englar is better than anything heard on the first record. The timing of it is slow but every second feels meaningful. The littlest things are special. Singing is great especially the emphasis of "It's you" throughout, which is just beautiful. Some of the best guitar out of Jón Þór Birgisson. The orchestra makes me feel like I'm swimming in the ocean on the moon. Beautiful voice from Jónsi on Starálfur. The violin throughout was superb as well as the tone overall. You can tell how much a difference the strings are on this record and the quality they bring. The song gives you that life is amazing right now feeling. Ný batterí has got the horns and drums it's pretty mystical. Viðrar vel til loftárása" is a powerful song that once again shows what this band's got for you. Ágætis byrjun is a super relaxing song that defines what this band is aiming for, which is a new approach towards music.
    Sigur Rós has worked their way to becoming one of the top bands to emerge from the late 1990s and the vivid sounds bring you into a new world.

My rating: 9

( ) (2002)
    No album title, no song titles, though they do all eventually get references in this third studio album. Apparently Jónsi sang this whole album in a made up gibberish language as well. untitled #1 has really powering vocals and a piano that really controls the feel. Unlike what we heard in earlier albums this album portrays a much lighter side. The number of people involved with the album is larger than other and the amount of instruments used has grown in order to create much depth in these already deep songs. The beautiful piano in untitled #3 is how I remember this song. untitled #4 is one pretty and uplifting song. I love the guitar and the drums in this song because they are way more complicated than usual, while the vocals are nice. E-Bowl #6 just has the scariest vocals. They entrance you deeply along with the slow drum pounding memorable. The bass has a distinct sound to it, while Sigur Rós get in touch with their older sound. The biggest album outro on untitled #8 which is so loud and intimidating. Didn't really like this album as much as their first 2 mostly because it didn't have that much new stuff to offer and didn't sound as inspired like their previous works. A lot of it is droning which is cool most the time, but a little repetitive sometimes too.

My rating: 7.5

Takk... (2005)
    As we get to the fourth studio album finally there majority of the songs don't go longer than 5 minutes, which people could have mixed feelings about. The new approach on this album seems to be more focused on the power of the orchestra, which successfully revitalizes the magic of what is Sigur Rós. The droning is used a lot less and instruments create happiness. Glósóli really has amazing guitar throughout and makes me feel like I'm out in a farm or something running through the corn fields hearing chiming and nature's sounds. Hoppípolla shows off that new sound. Lots of horns and the track feels very bright as opposed to a lot of songs that are dark. Sæglópur does a really good job making the orchestra and piano feel like separate entities so that they both really stand out. Gong is pretty cool because the rhythm of it is outstanding. I just want to drink to this song and release my drunk emotions. Something about the band name and where they're from just makes the room feel colder automatically. I like this album for it's deep personal. Lots of strings, lots of brass, and you're conventional rock instruments to create another pleasant experience.

Valtari* (2012)
    Going into Valtari I had no clue what to expect. As the album began I felt like I was on a mountain overseeing an ocean. The music was very relaxing and if they were to be at Coachella then the Outdoor theater would be the spot. My one criticism is that the song Valtari had twinkle twinkle little star or a rip off of it in the background. Overall each song made me feel like I had an alternate life as a wolf, dolphin, etc. There were a lot of different sounds and this music crosses a boundary i am unfamiliar with.

*first review written, a lot in my effort has changed.
    Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern

^ I think u missed their 2008 album. (long title, forget it)

Also:

"Sleeping In sounds like a little kid pondering life, so the appeal is great for kindergardenters."

"Brand New Colony is Such Great Heights Part 2, but recorded to be apart of the Mario franchise."
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Hey here's an idea. You know those people who are desperately poor, down on their luck, uneducated, abused, and generally ill-equipped for life? Let's make fun of them.

Yeah. I skipped it on purpose. (Sorry to all the hardcore fans). Found it to be not as important as the first 4. Reviewing every album of every artist seems nearly impossible.
    Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern

You should really try to do every Lou Reed album though.
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

have you done both grinderman albums yet?
    September 16 - Earth
    September 18 - DJ Shadow & Cut Chemist
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    September 23 - Andy Stott
    October 2 - Beck
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 20 - Mastodon
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Festival
    October 29 - The Melvins
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 18 - Slayer

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    What I will first be reviewing:
    Friday Headliners
    Saturday Line 2
    Sunday Line 3
    Friday last line
    Saturday last line
    Sunday last line
    So far Blur, Stone Roses, XX, Postal Service, Sigur Ros

New Order is next. I was thinking of doing the first 5.
    Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern

Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    You should really try to do every Lou Reed album though.
    METAL MACHINE MUSIC PLZ
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Hey here's an idea. You know those people who are desperately poor, down on their luck, uneducated, abused, and generally ill-equipped for life? Let's make fun of them.

New Order

Movement (1981)
    After the suicide of Ian Curtis the rest the band members continued on but under a new name, The New Order. Dreams Never End is the perfect song title in itself as the Sumner, Hook, Gilbert. It's got a Joy Division sound to it, but definitely there's a lot of newness recorded in here too. The vocals are pretty deep, but they consistently transition right into the guitar. Truth is very slow and dark, and has a standout bass line throughout as Peter Hook carries the song. They keep it pretty dark in Senses with a great bass line to open it up. Sumner's voice creates suspense and lots of buttons are pushed to create these electronic sounds. Then a super catchy song Chosen Time comes on. It really makes you move with the bass and guitar hooks. Doubts Even Here is one New Order's early standout hits. It's like judgement day is coming. The sounds come off with really slow feel. You get lost into the synthesizers. A good first album by New Order where the songs are really strong. Some of these songs were written during the Joy Division era, so having a different vocalist step up could cause some nervousness and uncertainity.

My rating: 8.5

Power, Corruption, & Lies (1983)
    The rhythm and bass of the first song Age of Consent is outstanding. It seems New Order has found each member's strength and put it to full capacity. The only strange part is Peter Hook takes the lead and does an excellent job. The synthesizers create such a good rhythm, while Hook is starting to show me he's one of the greatest bass players of all time. The "ooOoo's" are great fill-ins to the song, and love the guitar's cameo appearances. We all Stand is off to a slow start, the vocals are a little flat, but this band uses their instruments to succeed. The bass has so much powerand funk and the guitar throughout is great, while they throw in some 60's sounding keyboards. fluid. A fun song to listen to just see hearing the cohesiveness of the group . Thieves Like Us has amazing keyboard to create such fluid sounds with a drum beat that you can just get down to. The bass is just going all nuts. The vocals hit all kinds of great notes and are loud. I like the way love is said. One of their best songs, but it's not on the original album. A dynamite drum beat to start off Blue Monday. Same story as the song mentioned before. Then the electronic sounds comes in. But where this song really gets kicking is the main bass riff and glorious sounds of the synthesizers. It really gets you going. The vocals coming from Sumner obviously are some of the most memorable and the tone he sings everything in really makes a difference. The beat is just so catchy, while they do everything they can do put sound effects around it. Your Silent Face keeps it going with the awesome rhythm. An underrated song that gets lost because of all the other standouts. It has a harmonica in it, and pretty vocals. Ecstasy is a good name for this song. I like the drum beats especially the pedal and just the coolness of it. It's gonna make you feel like you're on drums Leave Me Alone has got tremendous guitar. This is the best album to be put out by New Order because the whole thing is so good. There's so much detail and so many notes that can make you dance.

My rating: 9.5

Low-Life (1985)
    The Perfect Kiss is so jammy. The drums are spectacular. The keyboard makes you want to dance. The funkiness of it all is so grand. It transforms into this super spacey song with frogs making ribbits. It's got more dance fever to it. Multiple percussion used, and a keyboard that lifts off to new boundaries. The synthesizers go so well as build up to the main bridges. The guitar on Sunrise is so good. I feel like this song reminds us why they are a rock band The attitude in the vocals is very alternative rock sounding too. They're really tearing it up with such a good rhythm. This hands down is one of my favorite songs by them. Sub-culture really picks it up. The vocals are very energetic, which feature Ish Ledesma and backup female singers. Then you just feel like you're at a rave with the bass and keyboard. This song goes on for over 7 minutes. There's all kinds of break downs going on. Something about the sound just goes well with its time. They really go through this song going through so many notes per second. Some of the best drumming ever by Gilbert. Low-Life is a great followup album because they put out distinct sounds, there's so many highs in this album and basically zero lows. They can get epic like the start of Face Up, but also very funky moments later.

My rating: 9.25

Brotherhood (1986)
    Sounds like they're going back to an older sound with Weirdo. The guitar has some new wave inspired rhythm to it. The vocals are in unison creating good flow, and the pace As It Is When It Was wasn't a favorite of mine. It was a slower song that relied to much on one guitar. For what we're used to this sounds like a completely different band trying to mimic The Cure. All Day Long has a bass rhythm and high keyboard notes that make me feel like I'm shopping on the third floor of a department store. It holds down a steady beat, calm vocals, and a guitar rhythm that is pretty. The keyboard makes you feel like you're out watching the stars. It's got a very uplifting feel to it, and the guitar just waits to break out. I like the chillness of this song, however seeing it live is another story. Angel Dust is that rave song. The name implies it, the rhythm implies it, and the sound tries to get you moving. Love the beat throughout it and the sound of the keyboards. State of the Nations has cool guitar, it's heavy, then out of the blue it morphs into a funky electronic song. So good throughout. Theere's a bass solo, that turns into a keyboard solo that I think becomes a guitar solo, and the whole time the drums get pounded on. Bizarre Love Triangles has such a original sound. Really crazy stuff on the keyboards. I like the jump sound effects because it's super 80s. The bass pedal is fully manipulated and another catchy song is formed. Another great album out of New Order, I would list this one as the most funky one yet.

My rating: 8.75

Technique (1989)
    Fine Time a great album starter. You hear a new sound once again by the band. Sumner changes it up on the vocals. It's really hard to describe how this song sounds, but it's very heavy on the synthesizers. The percussion gets the crowd moving, and from the light tapping on the cymbals to just the bass pedal getting pounded on the beat is very strong. All the Way and Love Less are a good 1-2 punch. I love the softness and especially the guitar in the second song. I feel like it's spring time and can picture the drive all the way to down at the polo fields. There's really strong song to song flow I. Round and Round is another strong song and I'm not talking about the one by Ratt. New Order is doing everything they can to keeping these heavy synthesizer and groovy sounds relevant. The detail in this song is just very fine, I enjoy every moment in it. The lyrics are cheesy but I'll let it slide. Run is super good as well. The fluidity of it is something to note. The guitars are played excellent together. I like the slower pace of it but it's not slow enough to where you'll get bored. There's so many positive vibes out of it, so it makes a pretty solid love song. Vanishing Point is some vintage New Order. I love the progress the band made from their first album all the way to Technique. The sound has changed so much and over those years they kept it fun in each of those albums.

Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern

VigoTheCarpathian

Kurt Vile - Smoke Ring for My Halo

Hot Chip

The Warning (2006)
    The Warning is the second studio album released by the British electronic indie pop band Hot Chip. This record really starts off strong by having the first two tracks really getting your body moving. Though the tone in the vocals of Careful are kind of down, it has this hardcore video game techno sound. You feel like you can jump from roof to roof from large buildings. Then the comedown part of this song that occurs a few times chills down the listener. The next song And I Was a Boy from School is less action filled and more catchy. This catchy rhythm that was programmed is heard throughout the whole song, until a enchanting synthy solo comes in, but what gets you dancing is the tempo of the drums. The vocals from Taylor and Goddard are really strong in this song. Their tone shows they're trying to perform as a darker and more serious group. Over and Over turns up the volume on the percussion. It's the most fun song to come on yet. All the synthesizers and the electric guitar create such a heavy and fun electronic song. The K-I-S-S-I-N-G... and guitar solo are the big highlights coming from this song. It has the most fluidity to it, and most energy. Hot Chip shows drastic improvements from their debut record. Tchaparian explodes with very heavy bass and drops, not sure what that meowing sound is, so I just imagine a cat in the background. This song is more focused on the beat and less on a dancy rhythm, so the use of vocals are more noticeable here in this techno one. Arrest Yourself makes me go back and forth on whether I like it or not. The heavy programming and synthesizers make me really like it, but the "arrest yourself" line is kind of weak. No Fit State is placed in a great spot. I thought all the strong tracks were done with, but then this one comes on. I really like the tone in the singing, and it's got some of the most quality sound. A lot of editing went into this song to allow the guitar, bass sounds and synthesizers mix so well together. Hot Chip attempts to make a more serious sounding record and they do it well.

Made in the Dark (2008)

Ready for the Floors is one awesome song to be heard early on in this 3rd album. It's very upbeat and immediately can get you dancing. There's an awesome synthy breakdowm. The rhythm is so fun thanks to the guitar, and electronic songs. Unlike the previous album, Hot Chip sings with a more upbeat tone and makes the lyrics as catchy and fun as possible. The energy you get out of Out at the Pictures is hard to top, the first minute and half is just build up by a synthesizer. I put on my headphones. Then the words come in and for the rest the album this remains as my favorite song it terms of vocals. How can you top, weather weather..." over and over. It has such a geeky feel to it, but like Devo for example they have such a good sound no one cares. We’re Looking for A Lot is a really chill slow song. A weird voice comes in so often makes me feel like im in a nasa room. Like te pacing and singers in this who give such a relazed . The song Made in the Dark says "Made in the dark". I felt like this was there attempt of making their own Chasing Cars Hold On has keeps it up, another fun song. I really like the feeling of this one. It'd be a fun song to hear live. Hot Chip really didn't improve but they were already doing well, so to put out another great album with a change of sound is something the band should be proud of.

One Life Stand (2010)

Thieves in the Night opens up pretty slow and epic then collapses into a fine electronica song. The sound of it sounds a bit familiar to me; however the production pays off as this is one solid track. [I]Hand Me Down You Love[I] opens with such a sweet piano. The strings that are added enhance mood. The squeaky voice gets my approval. A classier side of Hot Chip revealed in this song. Developing shoes evolvement. One Life stand is a funky, and electronicy neat song, drum and synth gel well. Slush is too slow for my taste. Didn't think it was good at all, it sounds like a vocal warmup exercise. We Have Love is a weird track. It relies too much on a heavy house beat. Take It In is a feel good song. The piano adds some depth and enhances the effectiveness of the sound. The rhythm gets your dance fever out.. Soft vocals, and good use of the synthesizers, I wish more songs went this route. Too much slow stuff on this album, and I didn't think it was as good as their previous albums.

In Our Heads (2012)

Though there were some good moments on the 4th album, Hot Chip redeems themselves with In Our Heads. Motion Sickness is a pure awesome song; they sound like they're on top of the world and one of the biggest bands alive. Love the new sound from the synthesizers. An awesome guitar solo that flows right back into the best part of the song. The singing reminds me of 80’s in a way. Excellent high notes hit by Taylor. Don’t Deny Your Heart is a fun upbeat song that has a lot of pop elements in it. Not so much about the music in this one but providing a catchy rhythm. There's just a nice flow from song to song. These Chains is a good pre-gaming song and would be best heard with a bunch of neon lights. Night & Day is the song that makes you feel like you're in the club. Ends of the Earth is a great song and sets up Let Be Him pretty nicely. It's is a 7 minute song that I give major props to for being exciting throughout. There's a good harmony in the vocals that mixes well with the song. This song has a lot rhythm to it with birds chirping, and other noises that remind you of the beauty of life. It could get you dancing on the ocean. Hot Chip are back, and I'm glad I finally heard this album because I didn't once in 2012. The songs are so different from each other, so you'll hear a lot of different bases covered.

Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern

Grizzly Bear

Yellow House (2006)
    Yellow House is the second studio album by the Brooklyn band Grizzly Bear. The unique and distinct sound of the band takes notice immediately with the opening track Easier. Quickly all types of instruments are performed in this album, such as the xylophone, banjo, and Chris Taylor's arrangement woodwind instruments. Knife just stands out as the best song to come on so far. It also takes shape to be the most memorable track on the record. The melody out of the guitar, and the singing by Droste and Rossen. The song sounds so calm and like they're spirits singing in a lonesome environment. Plans is another strong song off this record. I really like the whistling. The guitar has such a relaxing rhythm to it. The saxophone really changes the mood of the song as things feel like they're spiraling out of control at the end. On a Neck, On a Spit has some really good instrumentals. The mood is created by the strings. The song is pretty heavy literally and emotionally. Yellow House is such a good album to calm your nerves and to read a book to or some calm activity. The flow of the tracks work great, and the band does a good job at arranging various instruments.

My rating: 7.75

Veckatimest (2009)
    Southern Point gets this album off to a nice start. Strong composition in this track already with the strings. Its got some super spacey sound effects. tThe guitar gets the blood rushing. Two Weeks is a huge song off this album. It shows that they can make comfortable songs, but also singles that will blow your mind with progression they've made. The piano of it is so good while the lead singer Edward Droste voice matches the sound of the piano and melody so well. The harmonious vocals in the background really add power and it's mentioned that members of Beach House were involved. This song erases gravity. Fine For Now is where the band just jams. The vocals are continuously strong. The crashing on the symbols make it feel like waves are pounding against a rock wall. Dory is a harmonious but strange song. This song just shows the range Grizzly Bear has in their sound. About Face has nice some of the records nicest guitar riffs. I Live With You sounds like a full orchestra is going. Has a kind of fairy tale in the woods feeling. They keep it pretty enchanting with that heavy guitar and violin/cello. The vocals are pretty sad and dark sounding. A big bang carries us out at the end. I want to imagine fireworks going off at the Hollywood Bowl. Foreground just comes in so smoothly afterwards and calms everything down. At this point in the career of Grizzly Bear, the band has created it's best work yet.

Shields (2012)
    Shields in the 4th studio album. Sleep Ute has a fluid guitar rhythm. Vocals out of singing once again off to a superior start. It feels more energized than what I'm used to, and a bit more tense. Some wavy guitar thrown in there, and horns. When all you hear is the fluid note to note action on the guitar you really build a connection to this. Aldema is only worth mentioning because its outro sets up the best song Yet Again. The guitar strokes are really chilling. The early vocals are so smooth. It's the perfect song to begin a long drive to. The chorus works out so good, the backup vocals add nice harmony. The pacing just works out so great. Droste solidifies it right there why he's my favorite singer from the band . The guitar solo is an incredible moment and the rest the band jams hard. All the synths and whatever else is thrown in there add so much depth to the song. I like the fluidity of A Simple Answer. The sharp notes on the piano gel well with the nice sound of the song. Good singing from Droste in Gun Shy, and Half Gate follows with extraordinary music and sound. You can find guitars, pianos, synths, cello, the wheel, saxophones, clarinet, bass clarinet, and flutes all somewhere within this album. This is the best record I've heard from Grizzly Bear because the band explores a more energetic side and starts to drop the folk to become more experimental.

My rating: 8.75
    Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern

I think you'll enjoy the Make-Up "In Mass Mind" & The Evens (self titled). Do it!

9/18 Kode 9/Mala/DJ Spinn @ Verboten
    9/19 The Replacements @ Forest Hills Stadium
    9/19 Andy Stott/Function/Vatican Shadow/Demdike Stare @ Output
    9/20 There Will Be Blood Live @ United Palace

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

PRETTY LIGHTS

Taking Up Your Precious Time (2006)
    Pretty Lights sounds like an electronic band name, but it's actually just a stage name for one guy. It's hard to tell what he's aiming for because his sound seems to change over time. Short Line is one funky electronic song, that introduces a solid song. Until Tomorrow is even more funkier with that super heavy bass. The hip hop feel comes in with the guitar which is full of soul, and the piano rhythm that drives this song. Almost too much is going on for me to enjoy this song. The vocals are almost unnecessary, and the fusion of genres hurts my brain. Finally Moving has got to be the best song on this record. It opens with a catchy guitar rhythm that reminds me something the Red Hot Chili Peppers would bust out, but he probably got it from someone else. The sampling of Something's Got A Hold On Me is really cool. The violin adds that eloquence and than my favorite addition to a song is the swishing noise from turntables. I also like the auto tuned vocals. This song stands out as the best with it's excellent timing and movement. Switch Up sucks it's like combining Bollywood, dubstep, soul, and hip hop. The mixing just sounds really off and all the pauses are not good. Didn't think this song was record worthy. Down the Line a pretty chill trippy song. It's got what sounds like an old man telling a story, there's some horns and a piano that adds awe to this track. This is some good work from Pretty Lights. There's some bad songs, but there's also some really good songs. Not sure how I feel about it live. Thumbs down to that song Happiness.

Making Up a Changing Mind (2010)

Making Up a Changing Mind is a 6 song E.P. put out in a series of 3. There has been no LP since his 2009 release Passing by Behind Your Eyes. I guess when you skip some of his work you'll find out that soul and funky sound has now transformed into some heavy wub wub wub music. I Can See It in Your Face is a heavy electronic jam with a hip hop feel because of the beat and singing. I guess what he does is presses down on some buttons to create this heavy bass drop. Then the heavy mixing comes in, and you hear that Daft Punk a sort of Daft Punk sound because he's probably using a similar machine. Song has a smoothness and swag to it, but it's still whatever. Understand Me Now starts off pretty song and has a good melody going on. I like the guitar playing, and the turntable spinning is more subtle. Really wild transitions in this song. I think it might be the best on the E.P. Total Fascination is pretty horrendous. The singing is bad enough, but all the wub wub wub's and pauses are too much. If people like this song it's because they like the drops from the bass. Simple as that. Easy Way Out has a catchy beat, but what is up with Pretty Lights using shitty vocals on his songs. This E.P. defines average electronic music. I don't think many people would argue that nothing really stood out. Spilling Over Every Side is not much better and has a lot of wub wub wub's too. No more time needs to be spent on Pretty Lights.

My rating: 5
    Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern

Eric Prydz Presents Pryda (2012)
    This is the Swedish DJ's only studio album out today. I really like the opening track Shadows. The tempo of it non-stop movement, the sounds coming from the mixing feel so smooth, and the wave like sounds create a trance. There's a consistency to it that makes it easy to move to and the bass drops could be astonishing live and give you a lot of adrenaline. Javiar feels like we've just landed on alien planet. The piano goes well with all the percussion and electronic music to create this dance club jam. The change in timings creates different mood swings and the song is well planned out. Hardrock Lausanne is a fun jam with sweet vibes, fun drum beat and spacey sounds. A consistent sound throughout providing good tempo, neat sounds, and something fun to move to. You is another strong track opening with foot step like sounds and what sounds like someone tapping on thick glass. The singing adds cool atmosphere to the layers and scales occurring in this track. Sounds like the stars are twinkling. Leja another good spacey track that is very fluid. I was pretty impressed by the work of Prydz, though it's not up there as one of the best, this is a pretty respectable album.

Last edited by theklein25; 02-11-2013 at 03:12 PM.
    Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern

Tame Impala

Innerspeaker (2010)
    Tame Impala hails from Australia and their debut album would quickly rise to one of the best records of its release year. All but a couple songs were written by the frontman Kevin Parker. It Is Not Meant to Be has such a fluid guitar rhythm and is complemented by the power of the bass. The song never changes its pace and the psychedelic powers arise. There's some engineering effects to make you feel sucked in. Desire Be, Desire Go is a much faster song that creates a pour of adrenaline. The vocals that come from Parker are pretty impressive. He sounds like John Lennon sort of. On this track he controls the speed of his voice perfectly to match the tempo of the song. The guitar sounds so raw, and the drums sound like they are in the room with you. Lucidity is another upbeat and fast song that relies on the same techniques heard so far. The guitar roars louder in this track and is always one of my favorites to hear live because of the energetic jamming and waves that takes us to the exit. Solitude is Bliss stands out as one of the most superior songs on this album because of it's excellent composition of guitar and bass. It's the definition of a psychedelic surf song about love. The awesome flow in this song just gives me the chills. The guitar solo that Parker creates to then set up his trancy vocals was well thought out. Jeremy's Storm is basically a 5 minute interlude of the band just jamming hard and a song that should be listened to. The Bold Arrow of Time really reminds me of some Eric Clapton back in the Cream days. Runway, Houses, City, Clouds pretty much solidifies that this album is strong throughout. This is the song that makes you feel like you're on drugs. The keyboard and guitar make this song super trippy. You get caught up in this tornado of a song. Then it slows down and you fall to the Earth. The guitar synthesizer just gives goosebumps. The Tame Impala really are a fun band to listen to already. This debut album has such a flow throughout. Each song has something beautiful about it.

Lonerism (2012)
    Lonerism is the second studio album by Australian band Tame Impala. My biggest question before listening to this album was how were they going to follow Innerspeaker's success and if there would be a change in their style. Kevin Parker had these same thoughts going in his head, and in order to overcome this obstacle he pretended to put Tame Impala and start writing songs for a new project; therefore the pressure was nearly nonexistent and he could let the creativity flow. The opening track Be Above It already demonstrates the completely new sound. It starts with a soft voice repeating, "Gotta be above." Then this 1-2 tempo drum beat kicks in repeating through out the rest of the song. Parker's voice then turns the song into a trance, and the guitar and synth sound so psychedelic that my mind is nearly blown. It's set at a slow pace that every instrument has a dazzling effect. Another standout song soon follows. The keyboard and rhythm for the track Apocalypse Dreams is so upbeat and Parker's high notes he sings make for another spacey track. When the song slows down it gets taken over by the bass line that reaches the soul. We're definitley heading towards a fantasy land because these songs are too good to be true. Why Won't They Talk to Me is pretty indie pop track that gets kicked off with that stellar drum beat. The synth in the background almost sounds like birds chirping and the guitar does it's thing. The song just gives me the chills. My belief that he sounds so close to John Lennon makes everything even more too good to be real. Each song flows so well, so it's hard to ask for a better song order selection. Each track plays off the other one as well. Elephant is pretty strange but the heaviness of the song makes it sound like elephants are stomping around marching somewhere or at least that's what I imagine. Then there's that spacey guitar solo that makes it sound like something is going down. Finally there's possibly my favorite track Nothing That Has Happened So Far Has Been Anything We Could Control. It has such a spooky intro, I feel like I'm entering a haunted house with my candle. The song hits it's rhythm, then stops with some talking, which then transitions into the spaciest part (my favorite part). The drums are crashing, and Parker's voice sounds astonishing. Without a doubt this has been my favorite album of 2012.

Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern

The Lumineers - The Lumineers (2012)
    The Lumineers are from New Jersey and Colorado. I guess they couldn't decide. Their self-titled album is their first record after the band's formation in 2005. They bring an indie folk sound with elements of alternative rock. Flowers in Your Hair is a pretty up tempo love song. Nice flow throughout this song. I really like the mandolin's sound to this track. The tempo from the drumming goes great to the fast strumming of the guitar. A social atmosphere set in Classy Girls. Sounds like people are clapping along to the drums. For some reason I picture this song taking place at one of those country bars. The guitar is played in a series of high notes. All the stringed instruments have a lot of life to them. I guess square dancing fans would like this tune. Dead Sea a nice song that is Wesley Shultz's little ballad. For most the song it's him, his guitar, and a violin in the background. . Ho Hey has got to have some of the worst lyrics I've ever heard in a song. "Took a bus to Chinatown" "I’ve been sleeping in my bed." The guitar is so fluid throughout this song and the Shultz's voice voice is at his finest. Those Ho's and Hey's are unneeded, but it makes the song easy to remember I guess. Stubborn Love might be the record's best song. I like the increase in pace and the cello's sound to go along with the guitar creates these melancholy mood. Schultz's high notes express a lot of passion and emotion which I respect. Big Parade to Morning Song were all average and below. Charlie Boy puts me to sleep. Flapper Girl is the most generic folk song you could ever hear. It is clear The Lumineers appeal to a certain fanbase. They've successfully crossed the folk turf and have a voice in the alternative rock scene. Their debut album is not something I'd ever want to hear on a drive, or just as entertainment in general, but if you like background noise I think this is a safe choice to put on.

My rating: 6.5
    Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern

Dead Can Dance - Spiritchaser (1996)
    Dead Can Dance is a pretty clever name, but after hearing this Australian band's music I realized their name is a joke because this music doesn't make the alive dance, but rather their boringness and uninspiring sound kills you. Honestly I could write a description and it would fit to every song on this album. Spiritchaser is their 7th studio album. There is no clear distinct genre to describe Dead Can Dance because they utilize genres from all over the world to create a artsy sound. The opening track Nierika is pretty flat. It has a jungle and African sound to it, but you just wait for something to happen. Song of the Stars continues from the last song and is over 10 minutes of a man and a woman moaning a foreign language trying to sound pretty but failing. Could the drummer learn a few different notes and a change of tempo. Indus has neat studio sound effects in the background, but the melody is boring and apparently similar to a Beatles' song. Devorzhum sounds like the whales are crying, and it's the dawn of a new era. I'm probably suppose to be impressed by this song's beauty but nope this band sucks. You can count on me being elsewhere.

My rating: 4
    Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern

La Roux - La Roux (2009)
    In For the Kill is the first song on the self-titled debut album by the duo La Roux. If this song doesn't define synthpop then I don't know what does. It has a heavy drum and bass line. While the keyboards bubble it all up. The vocals by Elly Jackson are sung in an extra high pitch. I'm kind of scared but also intrigued. The first single released by La Roux was Quicksand, which has a pretty steady beat throughout. Nothing about the song is too impressive. It's heavy on the electronic keyboards and mixing. The album's biggest song by far is Bulletproof, which is a very up tempo and super danceable song. The vocals from Jackson sound more natural because she doesn't use so much the soprano pitch. The drums provide the tempo, while the electronic sounds make this the ultimate shopping song. I'm Not Your Toy sounds like a crowd pleaser. The bass stands out a lot in this song, and goes well with the high pitched vocals. Maybe a lot of people like these lyrics, but I think they're about as Cheesy as Chuck E.'s place. Fascination is another upbeat dance song. The electronic sounds are a bit more heavier. I could see this being a good song to hear live. There's a really good flow throughout this record. Do I think these songs are spectacular? Not really, but I can see why a lot of people would find La Roux's music fun.

My rating: 6.75
    Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern

James Blake - James Blake (2011)
    With all the dubstep craze James Blake decided to put a spin on that style of music in his self-titled album. The album opens with the song Unluck, which is sung with weird autotuned vocals throughout. There are gun shots being fired periodically. The tone being conveyed is very soulful and calming. The beat throughout is very relaxing and the bass drops are so unique. The Wilhelm Scream sounds like it was recorded in a tunnel. The song has such a chilling vibe to it because it has such a slow rhythm. The intensity rises and soon you are falling along with Blake who utters he's falling throughout. Really there's something magical about this song. In I Never Learnt to Share the only lyrics are, "My brother and my sister don't speak to me, but I don't blame them." He sings it with a pretty sad sounding tone, but that's the song. The Limit to Your Love cover stands out as the great song on this album. The opening piano and singing is soulful. The drum then provides some dubstep like drops. This song promises to keep you entertained throughout Measurements such a good song to end album. These songs work so well together, so this is one of those albums you will always make it from start to finish. Blake transforms his career from being a dubstep producer to a musician that entangles this elemement with music more people are accustomed to.

My rating: 8.25
    Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern

Excision - X Rated (2011)
    X Rated is the first studio album by the Canadian dubstep artist Excision. The opening track X Rated is some really heavy shitty dubstep. What's even funnier is the bro who chants the triple x rated line. The following track The Underground is really heavy and has so many drops. It has the same sound throughout. You'll rave your face off to the drops. Ohhh Nooo is so bad I can’t help but laugh the whole time. It’s not just the bad sound of it throughout, like what is this shit. It sounds like a broken record. That baby chipmumnk that says 'Oh No" is just insult to injury. You go through the same verse 3 times and it never improves. Execute is nothing to brag about either. The sounds just sound like broken machinery The dubstep gods take a giant shit which results in that track SEXisM. Excision makes me want to cut myself which is not good at all. Got to keep those Skrillex fans entertained somehow I suppose.

My rating: 2.5
    Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern

LOL that Excision review was hilarious.

I
    Eric Prydz

??? Eric Prydz Presents Pryda ??? Is this what I want to listen to?

To be continued....
    Yes

io echo - io echo EP (2007)

Very little is out there about io echo. They're an electronica band that opened for Nine Inch Nails in the past. The song Addicted is a very up tempo rock song. It’s a very energetic passionate song, the lead singer voice has a lot of fire in it. Reminds me of Paramore sort of, but it has electronics to it. Doorway is an electronica sounding song with some nice mixing but still has some quality guitar rhythm and energy. I’m on Fire is similar to Kasabian's Fire, but I guess this band was first. Anyways the way she yells Fire is not very good. Energy is up there, but the quality of sound isn't that good. Beware a really slow tune. The chick's voice is hitting the high notes, some aren't that good. There's a spooky background piano and slow tempo. It's hit or miss. This band is alright, but nothing that spectacular. Enter to Exit is a fun one though with the heavy bass, the keyboard and fast pacing from the guitar. We'll see how far the band has come from 5 years ago.

My rating: 5.5
    Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern

Skinny Lister - Forge & Flagon (2012)
    Skinny Lister is a five piece folk act based in London, UK. Started in 2009. If The Gaff Don't Let Us Down reminds me of an upbeat Irish folk song. The guitars, the mandolin, the flute all make this one really happy bar let’s get drunk song. "Raise a glass to England " is my favorite line. Rollin Over os another energetic song. The mandolin and harmonies just make this song pretty entertaining. Sounds like all 5 band members will sing along together. Seventeen Summers good shows the bands diversity by producing a calming song. The ukulele is excellent along with the horns, flute, the lyrics. Kite Song is another good song because the guitar is so smooth, while the melodeon layered on top makes this song very beautiful. An intensity in the vocals and volume picks up and you can feel the energy. Polkas is self-explanatory, it’s polka music. They all sing a gibberish like language in unison, but the mood is so happy., Colours is really good too and a good song to end on. The mandolin picks up and just some solid playing from the band members. What I noticed that Skinny Lister sounds like they're having fun recording these songs. They could be a very fun live band with all the energy these guys harvest.

Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern

James McCartney - Available Light (2010)
    In McCartney's first EP it sounds like he is trying to revive classic rock. Angel is a really solid song. The guitar is excellent, fast speed and an upbeat mood. The vocals from McCartney are pretty upbeat and good. I like the lines leading up to the chorus. The brief pauses work well to re-calibrate the energy. It's the perfect song for someone trying to warm up a crowd because of the fundamentals to make a generic rock song are executed. Glisten has a more serious sound to it thanks to the tone of the cello and guitar that open this song. The mood of this song is casually lead into a more lively rock song. Mccartney has his own unique voice where he sounds like his father but also like Stevie Nicks kind of. Old Man, the Neil Young cover, is a mix of epic sound that mixes acoustics and electric guitars to create what McCartney was probably would be a break through song for him. This EP doesn't stand out as something worth going crazy over, McCartney's sound isn't exactly original either. There's some good guitar playing and singing to create 5 solid songs.

My rating: 6
    Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern

The Neighbourhood - I'm Sorry (2012)
    The Los Angeles indie rock band doesn't have much out there, but they're getting their name out there through radio stations with a couple singles off this EP I'm Sorry. Female Robbery has a chilling beginning. Like a church bell that is then followed by some bass lines and a screeching. The lead man Jese Rutherford, who used to be into hip hop, comes in and sings with such a calm and collective voice. The actual song has such subtle guitar lines that are really good. I really like the chorus. He sounds paranoid and doesn’t want someone to be told anything, then transitions into verse 2. Leaving Tonight was a slower song with big heavy guitar high notes getting strummed out furiously, while the drumming created this sense of falling.. Sweater Weather is my favorite song on the E. I love the lines delivered, like you can put your fingers in the hole of my sweater, and touch my neck and I'll touch yours. The drum beat is so solid and the guitar is vert calming and supports the chillness of this track. The slow outro is pretty cool where they break it down in a slower verse. You can hear the hip hop influence used to achieve the swag in his vocals. Wires keeps a consistent flow, this one. It’s got all the same components of their other songs. The use another catchy verse, which seems to be their strength. High guitar notes and a swell beat describe the sound. The Neighbourhood are off to a promising start.

Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern

Excision - X Rated (2011)
    X Rated is the first studio album by the Canadian dubstep artist Excision. The opening track X Rated is some really heavy shitty dubstep. What's even funnier is the bro who chants the triple x rated line. The following track The Underground is really heavy and has so many drops. It has the same sound throughout. You'll rave your face off to the drops. Ohhh Nooo is so bad I can’t help but laugh the whole time. It’s not just the bad sound of it throughout, like what is this shit. It sounds like a broken record. That baby chipmumnk that says 'Oh No" is just insult to injury. You go through the same verse 3 times and it never improves. Execute is nothing to brag about either. The sounds just sound like broken machinery The dubstep gods take a giant shit which results in that track SEXisM. Excision makes me want to cut myself which is not good at all. Got to keep those Skrillex fans entertained somehow I suppose.

My rating: 2.5
    QFT, right here.
    Darkside (1/25)
    Oneohtrix Point Never (2/7)
    Four Tet (3/7) / Voices from the Lake (live) (3/7)
    London Grammar (3/25)
    Trentemoller (4/5)
    Factory Floor (4/15)
    Coachella (4/18-4/20)
    Haxan Cloak (5/15)