Page 41 of 54 FirstFirst ... 3637383940414243444546 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,230 of 1597

Thread: theklein25 reviews albums

Default Re: theklein25 reviews albums

Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    This is just stunning in how far it misses the point/tone/context/explicit text of the album. I guess America really isn't ready for grown up electronic music.
    I felt like I was in one of those teenage clothing stores like Hollister or something shopping thanks to this song.

Yeah.

8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/11: Tomas Barfod @ The Rickshaw Stop
    9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

Gorillaz - Gorillaz
    During the final years of Blur before they broke up came a new project by Damon Albarn called Gorillaz. The debut album by Gorillaz and so on has no connection to Blur whatsoever. A song like 5/4 can start off with just a few simple guitar chords and then a minute later meet all kinds of studio effects. The drums are situated to have a different percussion sound, there's some unique keyboard noises, and a turntable thrown in there too. Tomorrow Comes Today is a great follow because it's in the complete opposite tone. The bass is so loud, and the melody effects make this an enjoyable track. Noodle's backup vocals add that extra coating that this song needs. As soon as Clint Eastwood begins it takes the title for best constructed track. Having Del the Funky Homosapien come in to rap with an alternative rock band is something you rarely hear from a British band until the Gorillaz came along. He really was perfect for the job though and excels with his lyrics. The drum beat isn't even the most impressive thing, but the sound of the symbols crashing makes it a big deal. The effects and background vocals add so much to the main chorus. 2D or Damon comes through with some really catchy lines, and that melodica is great. Another bass heavy track with really cool studio effects is Man Researcher (Clapper), and Punk is so good why couldn't it be longer, I swear the intro sounds like someone is tapping on my brain and then the actual heart of this song is so energetic and lively. I don't like the start to Sound Check at all. However, once the turntables kick in and the bass this sounds like one awesome hip hop let's go drifting in my car track. Then 2D's singing makes this song becomes so melancholic. 19-2000 is well known for it's Boop Do Do Do Do noises. I liked that bubbly noise caused by the mixing. It sounds like they're blowing giant bubbles from a machine. As for the song itself I think it's alright. I'm a big Slow Country fan. It's got those effects in the background making it sound like I'm in a tunnel with the wind blowing hard. The bass tempo reminds me of something No Doubt would bust out back in the day. Gorillaz prove to be off to a great start with this album. The production is outstanding and they pay attention to detail in all their song. Only gets better on the next album.

My rating: 8

John Frusciante- Letur Lefr
    Letur Lefr is a 5 song EP composed of experimental synth pop and hip hop. It was pretty interesting actually. The first song In Your Eyes was very strange with all these poppy noises. It felt like they were playing on top of a hill of cotton candy. I didn't really like Frusciante's voice on this song, and then the experimental freakout into this strange poppy beat was just strange. The song was soon all over the place. 909 Day comes in with this solid beat and synth that adds suspense. RZA enters for the first time, but really the song goes nowhere. Glowe has a lot more flavor to it, and finally some guitar playing that is pretty cool. FM is where we finally get some full length rapping. Frusciante throws in some guitar and this becomes the best track. In My Light has a lot of emphasis in electronics and a very unique exit song. I really wasn't too big a fan of this, but he's trying something new.

My rating: 6.25

Two Fingers - Stunt Rhythms
    I like Amon Tobin, but boy was this album plain. The whole time throughout I was questioning whether I'm listening to dubstep or not. Songs like Snap sound like a hick up and come out just awful. I liked the beat in Defender Rhythm, but then the following track Fools Rhythm sounds like the same exact song but in a higher verse. A bit of a head scratcher for me. Razorback sounds like something Muse would have put in The 2nd Law. It sounds like light sabers coming together to make a song. Sweden was a disgrace to Sweden and all those beautiful ladies out there. I liked Little Brat because finally something sounded complete. Pretty much everything else was borderline dubstep and mediocre experimental electronic music.

My rating: 5

The Black Keys - Brothers
    Brothers is the 6th studio album by the duo The Black Keys, although they finally added some extra personnel. Everlasting Light is performed in a very calm demeanor, and a good song to get an album going. Next Girl follows in a very smooth transition. The lyrics are pretty basic but I like it because it's easy to relate to. The lead guitar is very sexy, while the muffled guitar backing really adds effect. Tighten Up has a identifiable intro with the bass and whistling, so whenever I hear that on the radio I know what's coming. I really liked this song until it got overplayed, but there are so many little things added to this song that makes it fun. I always feel like I'm sailing when this track comes on, but there is just excellent guitar playing by Dan Auerbach throughout. Howlin' For You has become the anthem at Phoenix Coyote's games, but more importantly this has some of the best drumming on the record because it's extra loud. The rhythm throughout is pretty fun, and makes a good singalong. She's Long Gone has the dueling guitar effect and just sounds like a very mature song. It made it big by being in some drinking commercial. The Only One is more of their better work. The song is so smooth and the higher notes sung by Auerbach match great to the guitar rhythm. Ten Cent Pistol is more of the same thing, with some great drumming by Carney. These type of songs are good to have in the background when you want to have a relaxing time drinking. Never Give You Up and These Days work so well back to back. The album exits on such a calm note but with a message. Danger Mouse has only helped this band progress and I believe this is one of their top 2 albums at the time.

I find that to be their most laid back album. Nothing really that rocking. Good though.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Hey here's an idea. You know those people who are desperately poor, down on their luck, uneducated, abused, and generally ill-equipped for life? Let's make fun of them.

The Future Of The Left - The Plot Against Common Sense

Quote Originally Posted by rasooli View Post
    Peter Ilyitch Tchaikovsky - Tchaikovsky
    No idea what specific thing youre asking. There's so much out there

Future of the Left - The Plot Against Common Sense
    Sheena Is A T-Shirt Salesman starts it off nice for their third studio album. The bass pedal is bumping and it's a heavy rock song. Beneath The Waves An Ocean opens with pretty sick and heavy riffs. Probably the best song on the album because all the instruments are on target and the singing is pretty good. Camp Cappuccino is a very shitty song. The singing sounds like shit and the repetitiveness is more annoying than a red light. Robocop 4 - Fuck Off Robocop is another terrible song. The pop culture references are about as funny as Lindsay Lohan. The one thing that was consistent was really good bass like heard in Sorry Dad, I Was Late For The Riots can be heard throughout this album. The band can be very energetic but also very slow in other songs which means that track will be bad. My final thought is that Andy Falkous sounded like crap for the majority of this album, but he was saved by his band members.

My rating: 5.25

IT'S A HEAVY ROCK SONG

8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/11: Tomas Barfod @ The Rickshaw Stop
    9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

Punch Brothers - Who's Feeling Young Now?

Smog - Knock Knock
    Parliament - Mothership Connection
    Pistol Annies - Hell on Heels
    Jamey Johnson - The Guitar Song
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

I bumped King Animal up to a 7.5. I don't like all I wrote about that album because some of my views have changed and i am more familiar with the songs, but it is what it is

You mean to say you can't properly evaluate an album based only on a cursory listen? Preposterous!
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    You mean to say you can't properly evaluate an album based only on a cursory listen? Preposterous!
    sig worthy!

8/25 Sleep @ Stage 48
    8/30 Heavy Blanket @ Union Pool
    8/30 Black Pus @ BNB
    8/30 Hernan Cattaneo b2b Guy J @ Verboten
    8/31 DJ Qu/Lauren Ritter @ Paper Box

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

Frank Zappa - Hot Rats
    Fantomas - Delívrium Córdia
    Swans - Soundtrack For The Blind
    Last edited by getbetter; 12-03-2012 at 05:45 AM.
    Translation

Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    Still pretty serious about this.

Jack White @ Bill .... 08/22/14
    FYF @ LA Sport Area 08/23 - 08/24/14
    Swans @ The Independent 08/08/14
    Decibel Festival @ Seattle 09/24 - 09/28/14
    War on Drugs @ Fillmore 10/05/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14

Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post

Two Fingers - Stunt Rhythms
    I like Amon Tobin, but boy was this album plain. The whole time throughout I was questioning whether I'm listening to dubstep or not. Songs like Snap sound like a hick up and come out just awful. I liked the beat in Defender Rhythm, but then the following track Fools Rhythm sounds like the same exact song but in a higher verse. A bit of a head scratcher for me. Razorback sounds like something Muse would have put in The 2nd Law. It sounds like light sabers coming together to make a song. Sweden was a disgrace to Sweden and all those beautiful ladies out there. I liked Little Brat because finally something sounded complete. Pretty much everything else was borderline dubstep and mediocre experimental electronic music.

My rating: 5
    I actually quite like this album. Really only the first track sounds a little like dupstep. Razorback is fantastic. And a lot of these tracks worked amazingly well in his ISAM 2.0 show. E.g., here's Razorback from ISAM 2.0:
    Darkside (1/25)
    Oneohtrix Point Never (2/7)
    Four Tet (3/7) / Voices from the Lake (live) (3/7)
    London Grammar (3/25)
    Trentemoller (4/5)
    Factory Floor (4/15)
    Coachella (4/18-4/20)
    Haxan Cloak (5/15)

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    I bumped King Animal up to a 7.5. I don't like all I wrote about that album because some of my views have changed and i am more familiar with the songs, but it is what it is
    Is Marijuana normally involved?

Quote Originally Posted by Mugwog View Post
    Is Marijuana normally involved?
    No, but the combination of me seeing 10 of those songs live, and realizing it's better than all those other 7 rated albums made me feel it was necessary to bump it up half a point

Punch Brothers - Who's Feeling Young Now?
    Progressive Bluegrass is something I don't listen to everyday, but if there's more out there that sounds like this then I got some listening to do. The opening track Movement and Location is full of so much amazing sound because of that banjo and fiddle. Chris Thile has an amazing voice right off the bat. The next song This Girl proves to be really good too. The main chorus is very pleasant, and all the instruments unite to create a world of great strumming. No Concern of Yours keeps the train moving by being the most beautiful song so far, that fiddle makes it feel like it's raining out side. Great vocals accompanied with great sound just equals one excellent track. If you want to say a track was rocking then I guess that goes to Flippen. A song strictly dedicated to rocking out on the guitar/banjo. New York City is another track I enjoyed a lot. The lyrics made me kind of sad, but the fiddle seemed to dictate the mood of the band. They then tried to make a big move by covering Kid A. It worked really well, but I'm not sure it was absolutely necessary to put on the album. Oh well, what I like most is the singing, following that is how well all of them play their respected stringed instrument. Each song was layered and had unique qualities to it to make it memorable.

Eve 6 self titled.

Smog - Knock Knock
    Knock Knock is honestly one album that can be sung in one kind of tone and yet remain so good. The opening track Let's Move to the Country is so calm. The small symphonic effects make me want to be apart of that environment. Held possesses so many neat sounds. That electrostatic pulse is going off throughout. The drum beat and bluesy guitar fit so well together. I love how it feels like a metal song, but everything about it so mellow. Teenge Spaceship is so calm and beautiful. The production behind that song was mastered perfectly. The song makes me feel so secure. Bill Callahan's voice sounds great, and The orchestrated effects really stand out. Cold Blooded Old Times was fun track. The heavy guitar riffs combined with the upbeat piano create a song that is just so good. The power of his droning techniques really adds quality to these songs. "Sweet Treat is a dark yet deep song with few lyrics. Hit the Ground Running has some more splendid guitar, and a backing fiddle sounding instrument to produce a more upbeat song. It's pretty complicated to explain Smog, but the music is pretty complex, detailed, and impacting as I believe Callahan sings about his past in quite a great tone. Great album cover

My rating: 8.5

Held is a minor miracle of a track. I don't know how he pulled off something that spare and repetitive and made it into something so complex and dark. Bill is spectacular.

Quote Originally Posted by Riggins33 View Post
    Eve 6 self titled.
    you're gonna have to troll harder than this

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Held is a minor miracle of a track. I don't know how he pulled off something that spare and repetitive and made it into something so complex and dark. Bill is spectacular.
    indeed

Glad you liked Punch Bros. They are all amazing players and Chris Thiele is a world class mandolinist (even got a MacArthur grant of $500k). He plays Bach solo for the encore of their shows, really really impressive stuff.

Parliament - Mothership Connection
    Album is just straight up pure filthy funk from start to finish. These guys helped start a trend that I'm not sure has even finished yet. The radio broadcast that opens up for P. Funk (Wants to Get Funked Up) is just straight up so smooth. There are so many singers expressing the funk, while the bass is bumping and the tropical noises are almost too much for me to happen. The narration, which I believe is performed by Clinton goes so well with all the other vocalist to create such a lively listen. The saxophone solo caps off an amazing first track. The rhythm that starts off Unfunky UFO is only the opposite of unfunky. The horns, drums, bass, synth are all a giant cake of funk. The beat is groovy and the everyone singing in harmony could only get topped by the solos by Clinton, Collins, whoever. Supergroovalisticprosifunkstication believe it or not is very funky too. This song has some cowbell. All it took was 7 lengthy tracks to come up with one of the greatest funk albums out there. Give Up the Funk (Tear the Roof off the Sucker) comes out of nowhere. Just when you think the album can't get any better, this song is introduced. I've never typed funk so many times in my life, but this song defines funk. There's multiple scales of singing, a drum beat and bass line that really do so much for the song, and great lyrics to sing along to. I don't know how you could be sad when you hear this song come on. Very enjoyable album that just has too many people involved to even acknowledge.

My rating: 8.75

How would that be trolling to a guy who loves Blink 182?!?

Quote Originally Posted by IceyHotshot View Post
    Glad you liked Punch Bros. They are all amazing players and Chris Thiele is a world class mandolinist (even got a MacArthur grant of $500k). He plays Bach solo for the encore of their shows, really really impressive stuff.
    Yeah it was a good listen. Think that'll crack my top 25 of this year

Quote Originally Posted by Ray del Mundo View Post
    I actually quite like this album. Really only the first track sounds a little like dupstep. Razorback is fantastic. And a lot of these tracks worked amazingly well in his ISAM 2.0 show. E.g., here's Razorback from ISAM 2.0:
    Still not impressed

The narrator is actually Lollypop Man, AKA the Long Haired Sucker. But yeah, that's Clinton.

If you want to check out more P-Funk stuff (they have some incredible releases), I'd recommend checking out:

Parliament - Funkentelechy vs. the Placebo Syndrome
    Funkadelic - Maggot Brain (If you know Sleigh Bells' music, look for the sample they took from this album)
    Funkadelic - One Nation Under A Groove

And you should really watch the Live: Earth tour video to see the most incredible entrance from a performer ever.

Pistol Annies - Hell on Heels
    Well you know it's country music when the lyrics don't make sense. Sorry woman but Hell on Heels doesn't intimidate me one bit. The song has some rhythm that I respect but besides that it's not that great of a song. What does hell on heels even mean, that her feet hurt, or that above those heels is one bitch? C'mon Miranda Lambert don't stoop to Taylor Swift's level. It's time to go line dancing to Bad Example. The guitar creates this urge for me to put on overalls, and the "honk if you're horny" reference was actually kind of funny. Boys From the South has that intro you hear in a lot of country/folk songs. God these lyrics are just ridiculous and incredibly corny. I like the guitars throughout this song because they create a nice feel. Trailer For Rent as a song title just cracks me up. I'm not trying to judge but when you make this your song title I'm going to laugh and not take it seriously. Maybe it's just a big cultural divide, but from my perspective these were some terrible lyrics attached to alright instrumentals.

My rating: 6