Page 39 of 54 FirstFirst ... 3435363738394041424344 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,170 of 1596

Thread: theklein25 reviews albums

Default Re: theklein25 reviews albums

I know punctuation, but I'm too good for quotation marks. Italicized words look better and are easier to locate. Bold is too distracting

This is the closest thing to Taking Back Sunday. I'll take it. Also this is the only album of theirs I've never heard. 1 in 4 chance of you picking this lol[/QUOTE]

Well not to hype it up but this is easily one of my top ten albums of all time. Was never into their really emo stuff but this album really struck a chord with me. It's honestly a mix between the sic transit one and daisy. I absolutely love this album so hopefully you will get a kick out of it too. I recommend it on a long drive

Quote Originally Posted by gillster17 View Post
    This is the closest thing to Taking Back Sunday. I'll take it. Also this is the only album of theirs I've never heard. 1 in 4 chance of you picking this lol

Well not to hype it up but this is easily one of my top ten albums of all time. Was never into their really emo stuff but this album really struck a chord with me. It's honestly a mix between the sic transit one and daisy. I absolutely love this album so hopefully you will get a kick out of it too. I recommend it on a long drive
    I can't say I love the album or Brand New generally, though I think they're both ok, but "Jesus Christ" is a pretty amazing track. Huge emotional pay-off on that song.
    Darkside (1/25)
    Oneohtrix Point Never (2/7)
    Four Tet (3/7) / Voices from the Lake (live) (3/7)
    London Grammar (3/25)
    Trentemoller (4/5)
    Factory Floor (4/15)
    Coachella (4/18-4/20)
    Haxan Cloak (5/15)

Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral
    Knock Knock. Oh shit it's Nine Inch Nails back with its 2nd album. It's impossible to describe the emotion in Mr. Self Destruct You feel electrocuted wiht all the heavy sound effects at the same time of Trent Reznor yelling. The song is super chaotic, and you get hit by this storm. On the other-hand Piggy is super chill. Fog has got to be everywhere. The drums make the same noise as banging on metal trash cans. A little jazz music thrown in here may have gone down. Heresy isn't the prettiest song, but the guitar and drum pounding pump you up. "God is dead and no one cares" Genius words. March of the Pigs is one of the best. So much thrash. The lines, "Does't it make you feel better?" and the piano are the complete what was happening earlier with the unbeatable speed of the intro. The piano ends and we go back to the thrash instantly. Honestly feels like a vampire orgy attack, all your blood is being sucked away and there may have been a little rape action going on. The song Closer is unbeatable with the bass drop and tempo. "I wanna fuck you like an anima,"l comes out of nowhere and are iconic words in my mind. The guitars, bass, and synth are super heavy The lyrics end and the song becomes just instrumental for 3 minutes or so. The outro is one of my favorite parts because it's super eery and great. I Do Not Want This has some awesome drum beats, and I hear it in some songs of more recent times. Hurt is quite the exit song. The whole song is sad, and not something you'd expect from NIN. It's very slow and the instrumentals make it depressing. The lyrics are pretty harsh too. Great concept album! My second favorite NIN album!

My rating: 8.75

Metz - Metz
    I've never heard of Metz, until recently, but they'll forever now be apart of my memories because it's hard to forget a band that comes out firing like they do. Heachache is a brilliant opening track. The drums are crashing and for that matter crushing because its destroying everything. The guitar and bass are composed of super heavy riffs, and there's a backing rhythm guitar or something that I really like. Jesus, Sad Pricks has a great intro. i love the singing in it. This band makes me feel apart of the group, and it's like I'm witnessing everything they put into this record. Wet Blanket is the most energetic thing. They remind me of Japandroids in a way, but of course Metz has more bass, and that song really shows it off. Cool rhythm heard in this song. Wasted has a little older sound to it, and what I consider a song displaying great chemistry. Sounds like a lot of work went into this, and they're pretty fun with killer riffs.

My rating: 8

Go see them. They are incredible live. And wear earplugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

That really blows I find out about them after they play my favorite venue here
    Re: GayInTucson's illiterate ass

Quote Originally Posted by EmberVega View Post
    I don't think we'll be hearing from him again. R.I.P

They'll definitely be back, but I imagine they're going to be in bigger venues next time around. The response has been pretty rapturous all around for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Uncle Slam - Will Work For Food
    The name Uncle Slam is well deserved because this isn't the father of some hardcore thrash slam rock, but the title uncle is very fitting. Having never heard this band I don't know what to expect. The album opens with the wind howling, and then bells ringing. Some guitar enters and the song still remains pretty mysterious. It's almost like Back From Beyond is the next Hell's Bells . The organs close out the song, and we move onto Left For Dead. The guitar riff is super heavy and ferocious. The drums are getting pounded on hard and fast. The singer has that heavy metal voice. I wouldn't call his voice great, but sounds like he's giving it his all. I Roadkill a lot because the guitar riff is like roller coaster loops. The yelling of "roadkill" is intense, and the song is just grinding your bones away. Face the Fight has a wild start and at this point I'm already impressed with the skills of the guitar and drummer. At the end of the song I'm pretty sure I ended up with a face-drop. The self-titled track Will Work For Food is more of the heavy guitar riffs and just another joy ride. Finger First gave me a lot of enjoyment for some reason. I guess it had mostly to do with the vocals. They were entertaining throughout. Also the slow down guitar riff followed by some whammy bar action was pretty sick.

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post

Hurt is quite the exit song. The whole song is sad, and not something you'd expect from NIN.
    You haven't listened to any NIN have you?

There's like one semi-depressing song on Pretty Hate Machine, besides that can't think of anything else that's performed in a sad feeling throughout, from the first 2 albums

Yeah.

Blade Runner - The Soundtrack
    I'm a fan of the work done by Vangelis, so no surprise that the Blade Runner soundtrack wouldn't disappoint. The Main Titles has a very futuristic sound to it, but the spacey synth is neat, and it kind of sounds like we're landing a spaceship. The tapping on the xylophone and whatever makes that chiming sound make the song very delicate. Wait For Me is another track I enjoy because the tempo of it makes for good problem solving music. It's something I'd expect to hear in moment where the protagonist is doing research and there's a bunch of cuts. My favorite thing is how you can tell jazz was a major influence in this track and many others. I want to say that's a saxophone, but I might be wrong, whatever that brass instrument is, I really love it's effect. My favorite song is Love Theme. It's overpowering and highly seductive. The saxophone is driving the whole song, and so relaxing. Everything in the background is so soft and progressively gets louder in volume making the mood swing. Good song to makeout to. After that, everything else goes from great to good, except Tales of the Future. This ain't no ancient Egypt tale. Now I have to go watch the film again to remember which part some of these songs went to because I forget, or they just didn't make the film maybe. The MVP is that saxophone because the way it was played was hot.

My rating: 7.5

Beck - Sea Change
    Having not been a fan of Beck until 2005, I'll never know the reaction initially made by people to this album because it's pretty different compared to his other popular albums. The Golden Age opens with some calm acoustic guitar, and some delicate sounds. It sounds a little country to me, but the song is very pleasant, and the rhythm guitar is cool, and the song ends with what sounds like a storm brewing up. Paper Tiger has more of an orchestra effect thanks to that cello. Also that bass is bumping. I like this track because it sounds more uplifting compared to most these other tracks. Beck is just showing off his ability of putting together a well composed record. A electric guitar solo gets thrown in, so now this song is just simply winning. Guess I'm Doing Fine is more in alignment with The Golden Age. The song is dominated by the acoustic guitar, and the rhythm of the bass is keeping the song tamed. I like the lyrics a lot in this song. Lonesome Tears is just one sad song. Beck is singing great though. The cello is back and creating all kinds of waves of emotions. The keyboards are effective too. I just imagine Beck standing outside in the middle of the street singing this song in the pouring rain. Sunday Sun is another song I enjoy. The piano portrays some attitude, and the singing harmonization is nice. There's a bunch of jamming at the end, which is unique in this album, and I like the energy. Sea Change is not my favorite Beck album, but the production that went into this album is spectacular, I mean just look at all the personal.

Becks breakup album.
    You guys are mean. Sexy people are not meant to be smart.
    April 26 - Black Sabbath - Hollywood Bowl
    June 27 - Fuck Buttons - the Independent
    July 11 - Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds - Shrine Auditorium

The outro is one of my favorite parts because it's super eery and great.
    Listen to that melody. IT'S A DOWNWARD SPIRAL

I haven't listened to it in a while but I really like Sea Change, maybe my favorite Beck album.

John Zorn - Spillane
    It starts with a scream. I guess one day the composer John Zorn got inspired to create an album that combines a number of genres like jazz and experimental features. The opening track Spillane early on has some jazz piano and bass along with fast tapping on the drums. More and more noises enter the song, and soon it's like living in a fictional world. I get lost by this song 4 minutes in. Lucky for me this song is 25 minutes long. 10 minutes in I feel like I'm in The Shining or something. Things get a little too creepy with that harp and piano. I feel locked away in some room. It gets spookier at the 15 minute mark. Now the scene takes us to an opera or something, which is just a nightmare for me anytime. I think there were some airplane noises and a police siren at one point. I liked when random yelling would come out of nowhere, and the brass instrumenets were cool. Two-Lane Highway is a very guitar drive track. I like it much more because it puts me in more in my comfort zone. The feeling I get from it is that it's suppose to make the listener feel like they're out enjoying the great nightlife. Forbidden Fruit felt like the buildings were falling. Things got a little chaotic. The use of violins and that turntable were what stood out to me. This album by Zorn is quite impressive because of all the places he can take you just through sound effects.

Terry Callier - What Color Is Love
    Dancing Girl is such a powerful track. I love Callier's voice from the start and his singing puts me in awe. The instruments are wonderful as well and this song is absolutely beautiful. Spanning from the horns to the drums to the piano. The orchestration done in it is a classic The jazz genre is smiling at Callier. What Color is Love is a very true song. The song feels like a love ballad that is very beautiful. Again the orchestration behind it is masterful, and Callier's voice really creates emotion of it. I'd Rather Be With You is just another example of how well Callier sings. You Goin' Miss Your Candyman has great vocals of course, but the bass on it is another thing I'd like to highlight. The instrument was most powerful on this track bringing out the funk. The songs felt like they were in control throughout, and the organization of it was great. Got a little bored briefly at times, but it was at the top when you could feel the emotion in the singing, and all the stringed instruments and piano were gelling.

Deftones - Koi No Yokan
    Koi No Yokan is the 7th studio album by Deftones and a good followup album to Diamond Eyes. Swerve City features an awesome guitar rhythm and it's time to crank the volume to full blast. Chino Moreno already sounds like a beast. The guitar solo is cool and the drums are in control. The lines, "They traveled throught the air, oohoooh," is my favorite part. Somebody sounds kind of pissed off in Leathers The guitar is loud and the riffs are sick. More cool singing and I have the urge to mosh. Poltergeist comes out with a lot of attitude and heavy guitar. Melts your face off. So far I'm liking the flow of the album, and the energy level is great. Guaze has a super heavy guitar riff. I also like the beeping noise in the background. I feel like I'm in a room with steel walls trying to break out, but only putting minor dents in the walls, and bashing my skull open. I like the softer vocals compared to the loud yelling. Rosemary is your stereotypical heavy rock song about an emotional moment so it's sung slower. [ITempest [/I] didn't really feel better than anything else, which is good I guess. It was a good 6 minute rock song. Goon Sqaud starts off so mellow, and then they bring the energy. The album demonstrates a lot of dynamics from the band going from soft to loud, calm to energized. The metal had some depth to it, and was the opposite of bland. I still like Linkin Park's Living Things better, but I'll let this album have a quarter of a point more.

Linkin Park vs. Deftones? lolz

Daft Punk - Alive 2007
    Having never seen Daft Punk before this is the closest experience I can get, although I wish there were some lazers. Robot Rock is super exciting of course because there was only 2 minutes of buildup. Honestly the song sounds a lot better on this recording, you can feel a heavier drop, and the mixing is much more dancier. The Oh Yeah snippets are cool, this is clearly Robot Rock's song. Television Rules the Nation / Crescendolls is a huge electronic explosion with some Around the World mixed in there. Again the sensation caused by the mixing and drops makes Swedish House Mafia sound like Swedish House Girl Scouts. It sounds like one giant party out there. Around the World is back this time louder and with its beat. Sounds a lot like the master track, but enhanced thanks to the energy from the crowd. Things get a little crazier when Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger comes in for the first time because there's some intense mixing that follows. Then the drops during are Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger bumping, then there's more crazy music, hopefully there were lazers shooting all over. I imagine One More Time / Aerodynamic was not the most fun combo to witness. Though the beginning is kind of slow, and very quiet. The dullness makes Aerodynamic Beats / Forget About the World look like a hero. The song is so full of energy, and it feels like disco is being reincarnated. After some Da Funk feels like pretty much everything you'd expect to hear has been done. The drums are loud, and the live version is like the recording but with some stuff thrown in. It's like a greatest hits album performed, so of course it's going to be good. The audio was very good and super clean.

My rating: 8.5

Hieroglyphics - Full Circle
    Why are there so many sparkling noises in Fantasy Island? I'm so distracted I can barely follow the rapping. There were a lot of different rappers though, so it's interesting to get all these personalities inside this song. Those sparkles though. Of all those songs Make Your Move was up there as one of the best. It had good rhythm thanks to the guitar, and sounded recorded in a hotel room. It sounds like a more mature rap song, and I kind of get the vibe that they think they're the shit in this track. Classic turned the sample into something more by getting some groovy bass and drops in there. I feel like they're getting closer and closer to me, and soon in my face, but Del the Funky Homosapien is part of this track so it can't be bad. Love Flowin is the most thug song on the record. This is where the big dogs come out and try to make something out of that awful beat. Eminem wannabe gets his 30 seconds of fame and that's how to describe that song. The beats in so many of these songs are like vanilla ice cream, decent but there's so many more exciting flavors out there, so I complain that more could have been done in this album. I really couldn't take the rap seriously either, but I liked 7 Sixes because of the NBA references.

My rating: 6.5

MF DOOM - MM.. Food
    Mixing rap and food has the potential to be good. Beef Rap has some rap of course, then it sounds like a TV break with someone banging on a trash can, then more rapping about dying. Potholderz had some cool mixing and I like the rhythm. The rapping was good on it, especially whoever the guy who ended the song. One Beer was awful. I hated everything about it. The high notes by that chick/guy (I'm not sure) were horrible. The beat is something that's been used by 5th graders for years. By the time Gumbo hit I realized how fed up I was with this album. It's so sloppy, the music is average, and there's nothing to really highlight. Why would I want to hear people talk about food. That's what they have the Food Network for. I want to hear music, not a narrative. Kon Queso came on too late. The song is super fly, but I'm already burned out. I like the tempo in this song, and the rapper. His lyrics aren't stupid, and there's a nightlife feel to this track. This album as a whole just didn't seem to work well for me.

My rating: 5

Daft Punk - Alive 2007
    Having never seen Daft Punk before this is the closest experience I can get, although I wish there were some lazers. Robot Rock is super exciting of course because there was only 2 minutes of buildup. Honestly the song sounds a lot better on this recording, you can feel a heavier drop, and the mixing is much more dancier. The Oh Yeah snippets are cool, this is clearly Robot Rock's song. Television Rules the Nation / Crescendolls is a huge electronic explosion with some Around the World mixed in there. Again the sensation caused by the mixing and drops makes Swedish House Mafia sound like Swedish House Girl Scouts. It sounds like one giant party out there. Around the World is back this time louder and with its beat. Sounds a lot like the master track, but enhanced thanks to the energy from the crowd. Things get a little crazier when Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger comes in for the first time because there's some intense mixing that follows. Then the drops during are Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger bumping, then there's more crazy music, hopefully there were lazers shooting all over. I imagine One More Time / Aerodynamic was not the most fun combo to witness. Though the beginning is kind of slow, and very quiet. The dullness makes Aerodynamic Beats / Forget About the World look like a hero. The song is so full of energy, and it feels like disco is being reincarnated. After some Da Funk feels like pretty much everything you'd expect to hear has been done. The drums are loud, and the live version is like the recording but with some stuff thrown in. It's like a greatest hits album performed, so of course it's going to be good. The audio was very good and super clean.

My rating: 8.5
    Great review, however I would give it a 9 because I saw that show live.

How would you briefly describe it?

honkypap
    Re: GayInTucson's illiterate ass

I don't think we'll be hearing from him again. R.I.P

Green Day - ˇDos!
    The second album Green Day has released of 2012. This album takes a different route by having more of a garage rock feel to it, and avoiding the pop feel Green Day has embraced more and more over the years. Lazy Bones has a guitar opening I'd expect to hear from The Strokes. The lyrics are well written and better than some of that cheesy love stuff. The guitar throughout tears it up, and it's one of my favorite songs on the record thanks to the timing and rhythm. The idea behind Makeout Party is awesome, and has a lot of good strumming, plus that solo. Feels like a garage rock song, the bass solo is pretty badass too. The singing was just all over the place. Some parts were awesome, other parts were a little sloppy. The top 2 songs were Stray Heart and Fuck Time. The best being the former. Stray Heart had it all. Very seldom does Mike Dirnt get to really rock the bass these days. That song has one of the best bass lines I've heard from Green Day in a long time. The lyrics are the best when it comes to real life, and the guitar riff keeps it simple enough and doesn't take away from Armstong's singing. The fast riff and drumming that goes into the chorus is one of the best parts besides the chorus itself. The drumming that starts off Fuck Time, and the the guitar riffs already make this sound like a party song. Then the way Billie Joe Armstrong starts to sing makes this the sexiest barnyard line dancing song out there. All the lyrics are hilarious, while the rhythm just makes this song upbeat and wild. It gets you pumped. "I wanna hold you till your paralyzed," is ridiculous enough that I laugh. Pretty much everything else on this album is filler. Nothing else is that impressive, but at least there's a lot of energy. Well there is that song Nightlife. It doesn't exactly fit on the album, but it might be really good if you're drunk. I'll have to find out. Billie Joe sounds very intoxicated, and the tempo is too slow. Oh well couldn't be any worse than Kill the DJ. Amy is a nice outro song, I like it enough. This album is no ˇUno!, but it's worth revisiting more than just a few times.

My rating : 6.5

Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    Great review, however I would give it a 9 because I saw that show live.
    I would have given it a 9.5, with a half-point deduction for not ponying up the money to include the Close Encounters theme from the begining of the show.
    Coachellas attended: 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 (W1), 2013 (W1)

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Theme night listing:

Thursday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Friday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Saturday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Sunday Night: Boo, I have to go back to my parent's house!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    The level of sheer laziness and pure speculation and confusion about very easily found and well-known things that this board has gotten to is truly confounding.

Blade Runner - The Soundtrack
    I'm a fan of the work done by Vangelis, so no surprise that the Blade Runner soundtrack wouldn't disappoint. The Main Titles has a very futuristic sound to it, but the spacey synth is neat, and it kind of sounds like we're landing a spaceship. The tapping on the xylophone and whatever makes that chiming sound make the song very delicate. Wait For Me is another track I enjoy because the tempo of it makes for good problem solving music. It's something I'd expect to hear in moment where the protagonist is doing research and there's a bunch of cuts. My favorite thing is how you can tell jazz was a major influence in this track and many others. I want to say that's a saxophone, but I might be wrong, whatever that brass instrument is, I really love it's effect. My favorite song is Love Theme. It's overpowering and highly seductive. The saxophone is driving the whole song, and so relaxing. Everything in the background is so soft and progressively gets louder in volume making the mood swing. Good song to makeout to. After that, everything else goes from great to good, except Tales of the Future. This ain't no ancient Egypt tale. Now I have to go watch the film again to remember which part some of these songs went to because I forget, or they just didn't make the film maybe. The MVP is that saxophone because the way it was played was hot.

Thank you for reviewing this. I was on the road when this was posted and had now idea you had done so until today.
    Coachellas attended: 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 (W1), 2013 (W1)

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Theme night listing:

Thursday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Friday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Saturday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Sunday Night: Boo, I have to go back to my parent's house!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    The level of sheer laziness and pure speculation and confusion about very easily found and well-known things that this board has gotten to is truly confounding.

How would you briefly describe it?
    Still to this day the most fun I've ever had at any show.

The energy was amazing and I was with all of the people that I love most. One of the best nights of my life for sure.