Page 27 of 54 FirstFirst ... 2223242526272829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: theklein25 reviews albums

Default Re: theklein25 reviews albums

Well, I saw them once as a full band, last April in NYC. And then in the last 9 months I saw JD solo 5 times. They have a massive catalogue of something like 600 songs, so you always get something a bit different. Easily one of my favorite bands ever and always a blast live. JD told me they'll be back in LA soon (can't recall if he specifically said end of this year, but I got the impression it was something like that).

The Killers - Battle Born
    The 4th studio album by the Las Vegas band The Killers. After trying out some new sounds in Day & Age, Brandon Flowers, as well as the rest of the band, decided to return back to their roots and have started showing pride in their hometown of Las Vegas. Runaways has been out for quite some time as the debut single. The song is pure gold. It couldn't start off anymore peaceful. The lyrics are beautiful themselves and the song is off to a perfect song. Then the pace picks up and the drums come marching in and the mood and tempo are completely transformed. The main big chorus at around 2:00 gives me huge goose bumps, and Flowers voice hits some spectacular notes. The song then transitions with some chilling synthesizers and settles back into the build up for the marching drums and who wouldn't want to yell 
I knew it when i met you, I'm not gonna let you
Runaway. The song has one of the biggest finishes in Killer's history. Song of the year for me.
    Battle Born itself has a lot to live up to. Flesh and Bone drops in with a tick tock sound and some pretty spooky synths. The song then lightens up and the song starts the album off on the right track. After 2 pretty marvelous songs, The Way it Was, track 3, comes on. Brandon Flowers appears to be talking, finally it picks up, but the song is very underwhelming. Another slow track follows, but after that at least A Matter of Time is decent. 4 straight mediocre tracks leads up to Miss Atomic Bomb, which sounds just like everything else with a little Coldplay feel in there. I just wanted to point out that this song may have one of the worst notes performed by Flowers ever. It doesn't get much better, each song has great production and sounds awesome, but there's nothing that special about most these tracks. Over time it might get better, but to me it sounds like they put all the effort into just a few songs and added a lot of fillers. I do like the song Battle Born . It's kind of like the big firework finish. All I got to say is though I expected more from The Killers, they're still above average and the instruments were still great. Maybe with time I'll like this album better.

My rating: 6
    Follow me on Twitter at Klein25
    Spoon Aug 8 Hollywood
    Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern
    The Horrors Oct 14 Santa Ana

B-Tribe - 5
    Classical Spanish music with a little electronic music can turn out pretty good. The sound of the guitar and the mood overall put me into a state of relaxation and feel of being in paradise. The song Anika is really good, and would best be played on a date by the fireplace with a fine glass of wine. A sensational song with such a sexy rhythm. Demasiado is best for the complete opposite situation. I could imagine it being a song for people to have a good cry to. Each part of the song stretches out long enough to keep the same frame of mind. The song just sounds sad to me. Misterio / Interlude is where they go all out on the guitar and put together another paradise feel song. I wasn't expecting this album to be as good as it is. Just the way it makes you feel and the sensations make this a very good listen.

My rating: 8
    Spoon Aug 8 Hollywood
    Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern

Let's hear the Uno review.

It'll be up either before 5, or 11 I got one more album to praise then I'll get that final listen of Uno to assure my thoughts
    Spoon Aug 8 Hollywood
    Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern

Röyksopp - Melody A.M.
    The debut album by the electronic duo Röyksopp that is nothing short of a great release. The opening song So Easy is pretty intriguing and makes for a good detective song. The splashing noises made by the turntable and then the chanting that enters forms one great track. Eple is trip hop at its finest. I love the downtempo feel of that song. It pretty much turned me into ice. They just keep it coming with the song Sparks. Anneli Drecker's vocals are pretty chilling and the song is super chilling. The tempo remains very steady at a slow pace and the ending pretty much feels like the waves making it's way toward you, while on the dry sand. Poor Leno proves to be one of the songs with the most dance potential. The rhythm is so eccentric and could really pump a crowd. Finally my favorite track goes down as Remind Me. It's futuristic elevator music. I really want to get trapped in an elevator with someone for 30 minutes with this song on repeat. That'd be great. The keyboard makes for the perfect head bobbing and the rhythm of the instruments is great for dancing. I'd say 8 of the 10 songs are really great and I was really happy with this album.

My rating: 8.5
    Spoon Aug 8 Hollywood
    Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern

Green Day - ¡Uno!
    The ninth studio album by the band Green Day, which has been promoted by them week after week starting a couple months back before the release. Nuclear Family is the opening track, and it really sets the tone. It's fun and has lots of energy. I really like the lyrics, and the guitar riffs, as well as that solo. The countdown was pretty fitting too with Billie stopping at three. Stay the Night and Carpe Diem keep the energy alive with some awesome jams. That transition to the chorus in Carpe Diem just made me really like the song for some reason. Let Yourself Go comes in as track 4. The lyrics are hard to beat. He tells whoever to shut their mouth and he doesn't give a fuck anyways. The moral of the song is to have fun. Best energy, awesome guitar solo, fun chorus, and the tempo is great. Looking back that track is my favorite. Backup vocals are great too if you catch them. The best song is then followed by the absolute worst track. Kill the DJ is barely a song. Pretty much a joke, with terrible lyrics, and not even a good beat. I didn't like it. Tracks are then on and off from really energetic to that 21st Century Breakdown sound. Sweet 16 told a good story and I really liked the vibe from it. The placement of that song was good time. The best placement goes to Oh Love. Which proves to be best suited as the triumphant finisher to the album. Once you adjust to the unusual sound it turns out to be a pretty great song. It helps end ¡Uno! on a pretty high note. Though not Green Day's best work, they manage to put out a fun and energetic record that keeps the tradition of good vocals, and good instrument rhythms.

My rating: 7
    Spoon Aug 8 Hollywood
    Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern

Your reviews of B-Tribe and Royksopp were spot on. I believe your Killers review was the longest one you've ever done.
    Last edited by rasooli; 09-18-2012 at 09:05 PM.

Pantha Du Prince - Black Noise
    Skee-Lo - I Wish
    Digitalism - Idealism

Swans - The Seer
    Swans' career dates all the way back to the early 1980's, but for me this 2012 album is the only record I've listened to. This album is dark and eery, and there sure are a lot of instruments behind sneaking their way in here. The vocals are so abstract and I couldn't even give you an answer to what is going with the vocals. Mother of the World gets the adrenaline running. The images in my head range from pirates steering their ship into the fog to a lonesome person arriving at an abandoned motel in the middle of the night. Point is it's a pretty spooky song, yet the dynamics are great and it keeps me at the edge of my seat. Not really a fan of half hour long songs, but I have to admit The Seer kept me entertained throughout. The bagpipes are pretty gnartly. Then once the song gets into form it becomes quite the thriller. It's almost like the ultimate western song. Not that folk stuff, but what you'd expect to hear in a chase scene but better. I have a feeling that many genres were mixed in order to compile this track. Song after song has something to offer. Apostate
    is the icing on this cake. The siren sounds are a great buildup to what becomes an excellent outro song. The Seer pretty much swallowed me, and then spat me out to leave me confused but highly impressed with this album. Something about all those instruments were super powerful.

Spoon Aug 8 Hollywood
    Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern

See them next time they come around. That's the real treat.

And glad you liked it. Swans is a great act. Lots of their previous work is also worth checking out.

Sugar - Copper Blue
    Girls - Album
    Baroness - Yellow and Gold
    Jack Rose - Kensington Blues
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

I think you mean Yellow and Green
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

Spoon Aug 8 Hollywood
    Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern

I did, and thanks Klein.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Jane's Addiction - Nothing's Shocking
    Though a good heavy alternative rock band thanks to their guitar player Dave Navarro, they are fronted by a pretty cool dude with one of the most annoying singing voices in the music industry. Don't really like the song Had a Dad. Farrell's vocals are annoying as it gets on this track. The mini guitar solos within this song kind of help balance it. The drumming keeps the song going as well. Mountain Song is the best track because of multiple factors. The bass intro is pretty sick, and makes the guitar and drum that much more powerful when they enter. I don't mind the vocals as much either in this song. It's a pretty heavy song with a very recognizable guitar riff that I would put up there. That solo is not killer but super respectful just because it doesn't take away from the drummer's rhythm or change the mood of the song. I really like the drums help transition into the chorus because when you hear that fast pounding you know what's coming. Jane Says is very overrated. Not only do I find it boring but it drags on for so long. I get that they want to have a sing along song but could they make it exciting at least. I do hope a lot of people do realize that Jane's Addiction did help pave the way for 90's alternative rock, and will always be associated as a 90's band even if they released this album 1988, because this is one of the type of styles that emerged.

My rating: 6.5
    Spoon Aug 8 Hollywood
    Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern

Fallout 3 soundtrack
    Having never played the game I can't really build much of a connection to these songs. Every song is fairly old and from artists such as the Ink Spots, Billie Holiday, Bob Crosby. The game itself didn't come up with any original songs, and I found the order of these songs pretty sloppy. I'm not really a soundtrack person unless it's original score because the case is more often than not, just a random placement of the songs. I was pretty bored with this and excited to move forward. I feel they could do a lot better.

My rating: 5
    Spoon Aug 8 Hollywood
    Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post

Fallout 3 soundtrack
    Having never played the game I can't really build much of a connection to these songs. Every song is fairly old and from artists such as the Ink Spots, Billie Holiday, Bob Crosby. The game itself didn't come up with any original songs, and I found the order of these songs pretty sloppy. I'm not really a soundtrack person unless it's original score because the case is more often than not, just a random placement of the songs. I was pretty bored with this and excited to move forward. I feel they could do a lot better.

Yea, you have to play the game to really enjoy the music and understand where its coming from. It fits perfectly with the gameplay and storyline for the game. Thanks for following up with this review.

Sugar Army - The Parallels Amongst Ourselves.
    Split Enz - History Never Repeats
    Dirty Three - Horse Stories

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

you know you want to.

August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 5 - Seth Troxler
    September 9 - Black Vice
    September 11 - Earthless
    September 14 - Lily Allen
    September 16 - Earth
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    September 23 - Andy Stott
    October 2 - Beck
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 20 - Mastodon
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Festival
    October 29 - The Melvins
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 15 - Primus
    November 18 - Slayer

of course. I neglected this thread for 3 days. I will be back tomorrow. I'm nowhere close to having an opinion on this album yet other than the fact that it's their worst. Probably in 3 or 4 days I'll be ready
    Spoon Aug 8 Hollywood
    Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern

Pantha du Prince-Black Noise
    German minimal techno artist Pantha du Prince's 3rd album is something he should be proud of. The sounds these songs make are pretty unique and make me want to dance in one of those European ice clubs. Abglanz is a pretty fun song with it's sound effects. Sounds like someone is dropping a lot of loose change. Song also has a pretty sick rhythm. Stick to My Side was the standout song to me. Just a crazy dance song that's somewhat bizarre but highly enjoyable. I did some research only to find that Noah Lennox of Animal Collective is apart of this track. Probably explains why it's so good and I'm sure AC fans are super stoked. The flow of this album is good and I like the beats.

My rating: 8
    Spoon Aug 8 Hollywood
    Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern

Digitalism - Idealism
    There was something about this debut record that I didn't really like. It sounded pretty amateurish and pretty stereotypical. At first I was really excited by the track Magnets. I Want I Want was very fun as well. Digitalism in Cairo was silly. At least the bass tried to save the song. What was that dude repeating? Then there's track Pogo which sounds like one hot mess. This just sounds like a middle school electro album to me. Terrible lyrics, average beats, and the same bump bump bump. Wasn't really impressed with this duo.

Spoon Aug 8 Hollywood
    Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern

Girls - Album
    Joy, sadness, confusion all found in the debut album by Girls. The song Lust for Life is amazing. The singing sounds sarcastic, but in a good way. Love the harmonica in the song. It's just a great energetic song. The next song Laura is a good transition and I like the flow. Hellhole Ratrace is super touching and I just love the passion in the vocals. The instrumentals really add the emotional effect. I almost want to cry myself. The strength of this album is the flow of songs. No song takes away from the other. Indie surf rock is always something pleasant to listen to. The guitar player of Girls is probably the strongest member just because the notes he plays create a whole atmosphere. I just straight up feel like I'm at the beach during the summer watching the sun set. This and their second album both compliment each other so well.

Spoon Aug 8 Hollywood
    Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern

Sugar - Copper Blue
    Bob Mould is back, this time with his new band Sugar. The 1992 release turned out to be pretty good. It's definitely got that alternative 90's feel. The opening track The Act We Act features a pretty heavy guitar riff. The song then settles down into a pretty sweet alternative song. To me this sound can be found in bands such as Collective Soul, so it sounds like Sugar were an influence on a respectful amount of bands. The next song A Good Idea has such a great bass rhythm, and the added sound effects are so neat. It sounds so 90's that I love it. At this point we're 2 for 2 on awesome guitar solos. Bob Mould's guitar playing is spectacular and can be super catchy, for example, Helpless. Hoover Dam is another fun song, it has some synths and the slower tempo serves as somewhat of break from all the fast songs. If I Can't Change Your Mind sounds like it had the potential to be a huge hit. Not really sure how it faired during its time, but the guitar riff sounds very radio friendly. As I mentioned earlier, I just love the 90's sound and Bob Mould continued to demonstrate his rock godliness with a new band.

Spoon Aug 8 Hollywood
    Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern

Muse - The 2nd Law
    Muse, the greatest rock band of the 21st century. Larger than life. Over 3 years later from another succesful album known as The Resistance, they bring you their 6th studio album The 2nd Law. Based on trailers and singles it left a lot of Muse fans worried. The opening track Supremacy is surprisingly good, so maybe the 2nd Law will be great after all. Heavy bass and guitar riffs. I love the high note Matt hits when he says "supremacy." It reminds me of Led Zeppelin and the outro is pretty cool. Their latest single Madness follows. I really like this song. The wub sound is awesome and the pacing of the song is great. The guitar solo is cool and transitions into the best part of the song. A faster more dramatic section where Matt hits that note crying, "I need to Love." Then the part when he says "Come to me" is my favorite part because the drums, bass sound awesome. The chick saying M-m-m-madness is alright. Then we get to Panic Station... It has such a 70/80's bass line, and sounds really sloppy. Are these noises Matt making for real. This sounds like a bad Queen song. If you're going to throw in a guitar solo at least make it good. At least the twitter photos with the horns make a lot more sense now unfortunately. The drum beat is cheesy and just about everything about this song is horrible. Of course Survival is the next real track to follow. What has a pretty cool intro transitions into some horrible background tenors and sopranos with Matt singing some horrible lyrics. The guitar solo is alright, but everything else about the song is pretty boring. I hate the background singing so much. Matt you're talking about winning, but with these kind of songs you're going to lose. Follow Me isn't even original. I swear they have other songs that sound just like this. On top of that it has such a terrible bass drop, and flat out embarrassing. Animals had the potential to be a good song, but they found a way to mess that one up to. Was the yelling by all the people at the end necessary? Big Freeze is another song that I swear has been done before when they hit the chorus. First we have to deal with a boring introduction. It'd be pretty catchy if I hadn't heard it before with different lyrics. Don't worry guys Christopher Wolstenholme is going to get his time to shine. He actually gets two songs. Save Me and Liquid State. You think that boring into in Save Me stops after one minute? No it continues for the whole fucking song. It actually gets worse too. It sounds like a song to sing to your kids to help them go to sleep. Problem is it's so bad that it'd probably make his kids cry. Liquid State is actually alright. Finally get back to the heavier stuff. It's alright if you're a band just getting started, but this is Muse! The 2nd Law: Unsustainable couldn't make me any more angrier. It has a very epic intro, and by now I've already come to terms that this album sucks. Some chick is talking about shit I dgaf about, then a robot voice says "Unsustainable." There it is the shitty ass dubstep. The dubstep dies, but then you hear this weird noise. It sounds like someone is giving R2-D2 a handjob that it can't handle. 45 seconds of this song is actually really good, especially when Matt is singing. The 2nd Law: Isolated System might be the best track on the record sadly. It sounds like the outro for a great record, when in reality it's the outro for a horrible album. The mood of it is perfect for people like me crying to how horrible this album is, and possibly living in a world where Muse can't write good music anymore.

My rating: 3.5
    Spoon Aug 8 Hollywood
    Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern

Matt you're talking about winning, but with these kind of songs you're going to lose.
    It sounds like a song to sing to your kids to help them go to sleep. Problem is it's so bad that it'd probably make his kids cry.
    Some chick is talking about shit I dgaf about, then a robot voice says "Unsustainable." There it is the shitty ass dubstep. The dubstep dies, but then you hear this weird noise. It sounds like someone is giving R2-D2 a handjob that it can't handle.
    Golden.

Great Muse review mate, the distinction between your writing when you are passionate about something and when you are doing a review at the request of us is obvious. Get angry more often !

Muse, the greatest rock band of the 21st century.
    Can we end this thread already?
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

No. Get out of here.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    Can we end this thread already?
    Can you stop reading this thread already?