Page 25 of 54 FirstFirst ... 2021222324252627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: theklein25 reviews albums

Default Re: theklein25 reviews albums

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post

Gorillaz - Plastic Beach
    After the success of Demon Days, Gorillaz decided to take a different route for their third album Plastic Beach. This record just offers many more dimensions than any previous Gorillaz release. The list of musicians who are featured in Plastic Beach is impressive as well. We get a nice introduction by Snoop Dogg and then White Flag serves as more build up to create that excitement. Rhinestone Eyes finally brings me back to a familiar base and it's an alright song. Stylo, the first single, is far different than anything Gorillaz has done before. It's super dependent on drums and bass with a lot of special effects added in. It's a pretty fun song, and followed up by a silly song that still makes no sense to me (Superfast Jellyfish). Each song is special enough that I could mention it, but my favorite track is Empire Ants. The song trips my mind out and when Little Dragon's Yukimi Nagano starts singing I feel scared just because the bass already starts to make me paranoid. On Melancholy Hill is another great track because I get good vibes from it, and helps me relax. Plastic Beach is one of the more diverse albums out there, applying multiple genres into one rock album and making it fun/successful.

My rating: 8.5
    Empire Ants is also my favorite track off PB. Glad that you've seemed to like the albums I've recommended.

Boys Noise - Oi Oi Oi
    Hello. Talk about a great Electro House record. & Down is as powerful as a rhino charging at something. That song hit me pretty hard. That 1-2-3 tempo at what I would call the song's chorus was sweet. The Battery is super sick and incredibly heavy. That song could melt away just about anything. I really enjoyed the quality and the dynamics. It seemed to always find it's way back to the main beat. Each song was fun and definitely entertaining. Raves in space is the environment I feel. Vergiftet sounds like a crazy video game song on steroids. Oh and they have a Battery part 2 called Wu-Tang. Never got bored and watching them for 20 minutes or so would be fun.

My rating: 9

If you saw Boys Noize for twenty minutes you wouldn't just have fun. You would not be able to leave. He is what got me into electronic. Seriously if you liked the album he will blow your mind live. Everyone I've talked to agrees that his live work is miles above his studio work. And that's not saying he doesn't make some good recordings.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobert View Post
    The dance tent for adults.

Sea Lions - Everything You Always Wanted To Know About Sea Lions But Were Afraid To Ask
    Straight out of Oxnard, the city that I went to high school in, comes a band that's just getting started. Theire style is surf rock and that's probably the easiest way to describe it. They strive for that pop melodic sound throughout the album, which results in all chill songs. I Should Be Sleeping is the album's standout song because it is the only one that doesn't one dimensional. The singer doesn't really showcase his voice, and the guitar player does his thing. I'm just not a fan of their style. The fact that some comments I've read saying Sea Lions does not sound like your typical Oxnard band cracks me because I didn't think their was a distinguished sound of Oxnard. This band is on the right track, but they got lots of work to do.

My rating: 4.5

The Ink Spots - 20th Century Masters: The Millennium Collection
    When you look back at The Ink Spots you have to appreciate what they did for music. The album is super relaxed, and controlled by an outstanding piano and voice. I Don't Want To Set The World On Fire makes me feel like I'm in a club during that time era. The world is black and white too me as well. Their music is incredibly simple yet it makes a large impact. This group was a big influence and their music would help shape rock and roll and R & B. The atmosphere this music was perfect as I was reading. The only negative comment I'd have to make is that a lot of their songs sound pretty similar. The lyrics are a big factor in interpreting these songs. The Ink Spots are pretty good and brought me to a decade that I never want to visit.

My rating: 8

Do you gather their historical impact from listening to their music or by reading their wikipedia page?

The commercials

Klein's Choice

Dishwalla - Pet Your Friends
    So I was driving home, and this band's hit popped up on the radio, which inspired me to re-visit an album that I haven't listen to in 2 years. The first song Pretty Babies is something I'd consider a great intro song. The bass is super noticeable and the beat is kickass. The song makes me excited for what's in store. The music is a little bit whiny but it's somewhat entertaining for the first 2 tracks. Track 3 would go on to be the band's career defining track. It's the only successful song off the album and for their career I believe. Counting Blue Cars is such a positive song and you feel the passion coming from Dishwalla. The bass line is super steady, and the drummer really carries the song as well. The pauses serve as the perfect transition, which really help the guitar player make an impact. The song is one of the perfect end credit songs. I picture an ocean, a road, a blue car, and a guy crazy enough to drive off into the ocean to profess his love. It's pretty easy to see how that song was a huge hit during 1996. After that the band really can't keep it up. Charlie Brown's Parents shows the band is leaning towards a heavy sound that just doesn't work. Then the vocals start to get worse, and they start to sound more typical. Miss Emma Peel is a poor man's Counting Blue Cars. Still the album is decent alternative rock.

My rating: 6

Pretty babies is one of thoses songs my dad would play a lot in the car.
    Translation

Sparks @ Ace Hotel 02/14/15
    Caribou @The Fillmore 03/01/15
    The Pop Group @ GAMH 03/11/15

Last.fm

john frusciante - the empyrean

I'm kinda lagging on these reviews, but the TV on the Radio one should be out soon.

Rasooli I can't find the full Fallout 3 soundtrack, wanna help me out and tell me the tracklisting

So, we're to page 25, I've enjoyed lots of reviews on here and am constantly impressed that you give a thorough listen to even the most annoying of recommendations. theklein25, I still want to know how old you are.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

I'm 20

TV on the Radio

I will be rating the 4 TV on the Radio albums, as requested, from worst to best. Each album I will briefly address.

What a way to kick off with Second Song. The song had neat vocals, and a rhythm that is certainly rememberable. No Future Shock felt sloppy, and wasn't really happy with the last couple tracks. Things felt lazier from the band. You is a cool song because of the mystical feeling. That was a song that made me feel one with the rainforest. The setting is nighttime, and I picture the trees with snakes, and ponds with frogs. Repetition was half good and half bad, very good instrumentals but vocals got repetitive. This is the weakest album by TV on the Radio.

My rating: 7

Staring at the Sun was the star of this album. The song felt like a journey to Mars because the song took me to a foreign land. I felt overall that the album felt a bit slow, and it was a little more out there. Ambulance was the LVP. I didn't think it fit into the album that well, and it ending made me happier. Poppy had cool guitar riffs and cool drum beat, I liked that song a lot as well. Overall I found it to be a nice debut album.

My rating: 7.5

Posted on 7-31:

TV on the Radio have a unique style that makes their music sound very artistic. The way I Was a Lover begins could be done no better. That's when you start to feel like you're soaring over the mountains. Province is my favorite on the record because it has a very pleasant rhythm and features David Bowie. The album's steady pace puts the listener in a state of peace thanks to the atmosphere the music gives off. Tunde Adebimpe has a wide range in his vocals which is part of why this album is so nice. Wash the Day Away ends this album on such a powerful note, and the band doesn't hesitate to go all out. Very impressive record.

My rating: 8.25

This record sounds highly motivated from the beginning with the opening track Halfway Home. The clapping and beat get the blood rushing and the adrenaline is coming. It took me a second track to already get the impression that all the songs would follow in this fashion by being highly detailed. Dancing Choose is where jazz meets rap and rock. Trying to describe the genre on that one is difficult. It's a pretty unique track. Golden Age is another spiritual track that is pretty upbeat, which is probably a fun song for a lot of people. I would consider Family Tree one of the most beautiful tracks they've written. It definitely deserves some love. This is their best record because of the diversity, which has fun songs like Red Dress and ones previously mentioned, and the artistic side which has songs that are made for the heart and mind.

My rating: 9
    Last edited by theklein25; 09-05-2012 at 01:33 PM.

Longpigs - Mobile Home
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Women just obviously can't write creative music. They're all ripping off the Beatles, who were men. Duh.

theklein, the most enjoyable TV on the Radio release actually may be Young Liars, the EP they put out as a duo prior to the release of Desperate Youth. I'd give that a spin as well (and it's only 5 songs.)
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

INXS - Kick

Sleep - Dopesmoker
    A hour long song. That's Dopesmoker. It's pretty much stoner rock on steroids. I wish I knew what the singer was saying but oh well. The little interlude at the 43 minute mark was one of my favorite parts just because it was a break from the heaviness. This is not my kind of music, but I appreciate it from the creative perspective. I found the guitar rhythm to be consistent throughout, which may have been repetitive through the recording process, but at least it turned out good. This record by Sleep isn't the easiest thing to sit through for one hour straight, but at least it's doable. In the end I liked how the instruments all worked together, and they made it work, even though at times it felt like bumping my head against something. An album that'll drain you for sure. I'm gonna take a nap

The Notwist - The Devil, You + Me
    Super chill indie music is the best way to describe this Notwist album. Markus Acher's voice is relaxing and right on target. Where in This World is a mysterious song that has a deer in the headlights effect. There is some strange mixing, but the song is extraordinary enough to be a cool song. When the guitar is acoustic it gives me I just woke up feeling. When they go electric more exciting things happen. Gravity is well composed and a nice listen. Alphabet is a bit spacey, yet the demeanor of it still makes it just another calm song. The mood and tone created by the synth and lyrics make this a calm and dark record. I like that record has a calm exit rather than going out with a bang.

My rating: 7

Quote Originally Posted by IceyHotshot View Post
    The Mountain Goats - Transcendental Youth
    I wanna review this, problem is it's technically not released yet, and I don't want to use my last freeleech token. Is their a link for this?

I wanna review this, problem is it's technically not released yet, and I don't want to use my last freeleech token. Is their a link for this?
    You can just wait until it's out, it's a month off. I can remind you.

The Avalanches - Since I Left You
    I have always considered this to be one of the most unique albums of all the albums I've listened to. When you have songs that are made up of sample after sample things can get weird. Since I Left You is where a fairy tale song meets drugs and hypnotism. The singer's voice is as smooth as butter, and all the mixing sounds sleek. All he flutes and bells, and other orchestra instruments really add to that mystical feeling. Things start to get more electronic and dance based which is the direction The Avalanches then keep throughout this record. It's really difficult to describe the rhythm of each song because they are frequently changing. A Different Feeling is a lazer show combined with a dance off and a storybook all in one. The Avalanches did what they wanted and I'll never understand what I'm listening to. I just know the music can make feel depressed and other times on my toes. There is just too many dimensions. Frontier Psychiatrist is as all listeners know, the album's big track. Some boy needs therapy and through all these intense mixes and samples comes a masterpiece. There's birds, guns fired, horses and all kinds of fun things. This is the Sun of this record's galaxy. Since I Left You proves that if you put a bunch of random noises together correctly you can walk out a hero.

My rating: 8.5

Where's your que list?
    fuckin' with the lights on

Not much they're all on this page

Beastie Boys - Hello Nasty
    Future Islands - On The Water
    Daughn Gibson - All Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by Pee Wee Herman's Hermits View Post
    Melted my face off at Skrillex

Rasooli I can't find the full Fallout 3 soundtrack, wanna help me out and tell me the tracklisting
    Sure, its:

The Ink Spots - I dont want to set the world on fire
    Roy Brown - Mighty mighty man
    Cole Porter - Anything goes
    Bob Crosby and the Bobcats - Way back home
    Margaret Whiting - A wonderful guy
    Billie Holiday - Crazy He Calls Me
    The Andrews Sisters, Danny Kaye - Civilization (Bongo, Bongo, Bongo)
    Billie Holiday - Easy Living
    Bob Crosby and the Bobcats - Happy Times
    The Ink Spots - Into each life some rain must fall
    The Ink Spots - Maybe

You should check them out. Great music.

One album at a time, people.
    10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater (?), 10/18 Culture Collide, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale, 11/7 Warpaint @ Echoplex, 11/12 Blonde Redhead @ Fonda

That's the track listing for the Fallout 3 soundtrack, not requests for albums to be reviewed.

Quote Originally Posted by rasooli View Post
    That's the track listing for the Fallout 3 soundtrack, not requests for albums to be reviewed.
    I know, that was in reference to the post above it. And all the ones in previous pages.
    Last edited by Boourns; 09-07-2012 at 09:48 PM.
    10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater (?), 10/18 Culture Collide, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale, 11/7 Warpaint @ Echoplex, 11/12 Blonde Redhead @ Fonda

John Frusciante - The Empyrean
    The former Red Hot Chili Peppers guitarist strung together his tenth solo record and once again shows off his skills. Before the Beginning is a beautiful song that sounds pretty emotional. It's pretty cool when it goes from high notes to a power chord. Solo records are always fun because it gives a musician from a band to showcase their own work. Unreachable sounds like a journey of struggle and hope. The song has super soft guitar, but heavy bass. The song then tails off with a big guitar solo. The songs are far different than what you hear from the RHCP, songs like Heaven feature piano and violin. For the most part the atmosphere is very peaceful. Central finally brings some energy back to the table. Frusciante is actually yelling and the drum beat picks up. The Empyrean has a lot to offer, and definitely not a disappointment.

Longpigs - Mobile Home
    Britpop was spiraling downhill, but that didn't stop the Longpigs from putting out their second record. The band didn't stay together much longer after that. If this album is any indication then it would be that this band simply ran out of ideas. There are a few gems off this album, which are Blue Skies, and Free Toy. They sound like your 90's alternative songs. More songs needed to be in the style of Blue Skies. The guitar has a nice ring to it, and it's set at a good tempo. After that I really don't know what happened. Dance Baby Dance reminds me of The New Radicals, only the Longpigs sound pretty sloppy. Miss Believer could not be any more boring. Finally Keep the Light Alive just has some embarassing vocals. The band needed to find an identity, and I'm not sure if they were even halfway there.

My rating: 5

INXS - Kick
    Are they rock, are they pop, or are they just dance music? I really can't tell. Really doesn't matter because I didn't like this album regardless. There's just something about them that I don't like. I just don't see the appeal unless I'm a woman born 35 to 60 years ago. Need You Tonight is just so repetitive with that riff over and over and over. Devil Inside actually strays away from the dance feel, but I'm still indifferent on that song. The one thing I'll say is that the guitar playing was pretty good on that track. Never Tear Us Apart was another track that I didn't see the hype in. It felt pretty generic. After listening to this album I feel like a housewife missing my kids who have moved out.

My rating: 3.5