Page 21 of 54 FirstFirst ... 1617181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: theklein25 reviews albums

Default Re: theklein25 reviews albums

Foosball is the devil!
    Arcade Fire - Sir Richard Bishop, Bill Orcutt - Spoon - Paul McCartney - Steve Gunn - Beserktown Fest - Slint - Sleep - Swans - Owen Pallett - Neutral Milk Hotel - Chris Thile & Edgar Meyer - Bobby Bradford Quartet - Matana Roberts - Wadada Leo Smith, Anthony Braxton - Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - Songs for Unseen Warhol Films - Ben Frost, Tim Hecker, Pete Swanson - Ryoji Ikeda - Slowdive - A Winged Victory for the Sullen - John Zorn Marathon

Marilyn Manson - Portrait of an American Family
    The debut album by Marilyn Manson that features industrial metal along with spookiness. I hate to skip to the future of Manson's career but this album is weak compared to what they go on to release. Most the songs on this record are pretty flat and the album in it's entirety lacks dimensions. I'm just happy they didn't get discouraged and would go on to release some awesome freaky rock songs. The album cover is pretty classic.

My rating: 5
    Follow me on Twitter at Klein25
    Spoon Aug 8 Hollywood
    Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern
    The Horrors Oct 14 Santa Ana

I know this will upset some of the purists but I love this version. An evil amalgam of two of my favourite artists.

X - Los Angeles
    At just the start of the 1980's, punk band X released their debut album known as Los Angeles. From start to finish the album never lets down. Composed of constant power chords and fast drumming, yet something about it makes this album an all time classic. There is a great deal of energy that is emitted and the passion and inspiration can be heard clearly in their music. Soul Kitchen is a very lively song, it's a very good cover. The back and forth between the 2 singers is awesome. Los Angeles is a standout song because of the powerful guitar, as well as the energy from the singers is another key to the greatness of this song. I enjoy the following song Sex and Dying in High Society a lot as well. Has that ringing in it that is also heard at the start of All the Small Things. This is one of the essential punk albums out there.

My rating: 8.5
    Spoon Aug 8 Hollywood
    Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern

Quote Originally Posted by ods.. View Post
    Also... you really need to watch this video.

Lol this is disturbing and makes no sense.

X - Los Angeles review right above ^
    Spoon Aug 8 Hollywood
    Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post

X - Los Angeles
    At just the start of the 1980's, punk band X released their debut album known as Los Angeles. From start to finish the album never lets down. Composed of constant power chords and fast drumming, yet something about it makes this album an all time classic. There is a great deal of energy that is emitted and the passion and inspiration can be heard clearly in their music. Soul Kitchen is a very lively song, it's a very good cover. The back and forth between the 2 singers is awesome. Los Angeles is a standout song because of the powerful guitar, as well as the energy from the singers is another key to the greatness of this song. I enjoy the following song Sex and Dying in High Society a lot as well. Has that ringing in it that is also heard at the start of All the Small Things. This is one of the essential punk albums out there.

My rating: 8.5

edit: I'm glad you enjoyed this album a lot. The last line just confuses me to all ends. This is an album that does not leave my car
    Last edited by Mugwog; 08-08-2012 at 11:54 AM.

X write-up is fucking brilliant.
    Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    I'd contribute to this discussion but I'm still busy reminiscing about the halcyon days of punk. You know, the mid-90s.

I don't know how to describe it, but I think I messed up. It's at the end Adam's Song, then goes into All the Small Things and then comes back at the end. It's some ringing sound. Oh well it was unnecessary for me to mention that in the first place haha.
    Spoon Aug 8 Hollywood
    Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern

The 100th Review

The Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream
    During an era where Grunge was dominating the rock universe, Siamese Dream entered the realm with a big bang. The album opens with what I would consider a perfect song, Cherub Rock. The shoegazing influence can be heard within this song, as it holds one of the sickest guitar riffs ever. This is definitely a statement song with the lyrics, "Hipsters unite, Come align for the big fight to rock for you." Then for good measure they decide to pull off a big finish and shred it out on the outro. There are 2 spectrums to this record. There's a very light side and then there's a heavier side. Disarm and Spaceboy are more on the lighter side. They relax the mind and it shows the diversity in Billy Corgan's tone. Soma is pretty calm as well until they break into a very heavy guitar ballad. Rocket embraces psychedelic and shoegazing elements making this another standout song. Then there is Geek U.S.A., which proves that Billy Corgan is one of the supreme guitar players of his generation. The song celebrates the beauty of the instrument and the power it holds. Finally I need to mention my favorite song on this record Today. The song opens with a guitar riff that sends you to the heavens, then 30 seconds later it is accompanied by the trademark lead guitar sound. The lyrics are so perfect, and it's impossible to argue the passion that went into this track. The album has excellent flow and each song has something exciting about it. The year was 1993, and this would be the first of 3 albums that solidly conclude the Smashing Pumpkins are one of the top 90's bands.

My rating: 9.75
    Spoon Aug 8 Hollywood
    Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern

Kevin Drumm - Sheer Hellish Miasma

Theklein's first noise album. I expect a fun review.
    Arcade Fire - Sir Richard Bishop, Bill Orcutt - Spoon - Paul McCartney - Steve Gunn - Beserktown Fest - Slint - Sleep - Swans - Owen Pallett - Neutral Milk Hotel - Chris Thile & Edgar Meyer - Bobby Bradford Quartet - Matana Roberts - Wadada Leo Smith, Anthony Braxton - Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - Songs for Unseen Warhol Films - Ben Frost, Tim Hecker, Pete Swanson - Ryoji Ikeda - Slowdive - A Winged Victory for the Sullen - John Zorn Marathon

Flying Lotus - Los Angeles

The Orb - The Orb's Adventures Beyond The Ultraworld
    The debut album by The Orb is an exhilarating journey through who knows what. Some of the songs can get a little out of hand with all the random noises applied. The second half of the record is when I really start to enjoy the songs. Outlands begins with what sounds like a rainstorm, and then eventually transitions into a psychedelic song with a nice beat. The outright most nastiest song has to be Into the Fourth Dimension. It has a super fast beat, which would be intense in person. Then every so often a violin is played, which sweetens the song up. Perpetual Dawn is another stand out track as well because it holds down a reggae like rhythm and keeps up that nice pace. Somewhere along track 4 or 5 is where I started to really dig the tracks. When they're on their game, it gets very captivating.

My rating: 7.5
    Spoon Aug 8 Hollywood
    Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern

Joe Strummer & the Mescaleros - Streetcore
    What Joe Strummer proves with this album is the capability he has of writing and singing in various genres. However the iconic frontman for The Clash died unexpectedly and didn't get to see the finished work. The first track Coma Girl is a pretty good song to start the album. The song was pretty simple, but the chorus was somewhat catchy. Burnin' Streets was border line country, but had a nice range of vocals, and one of the better tracks on Streetcore. Get Down Moses was a joke and should have never been recorded. The reggae thing just did not work. That was the biggest flaw on this album. Redemption Song was an ok cover, but could have been done better with the instrumentals. Arms Aloft was more what you would expect from Strummer with it's fast guitar rhythm and old school feeling. I enjoyed the London Calling shoutout as well. Overall the album is fun to listen to, the producers worked with what had been recorded and it's just another bright spot in Strummer's career.

My rating: 8
    Spoon Aug 8 Hollywood
    Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern

Rolling Stones - Let It Bleed
    Not only is Let It Bleed one of the best records of it's generation, but the album is very high up there as one of the greatest of all time. Rock and Roll is truly captivated in this record, while the songs cover numerous topics. One of the most recognizable Vietnam associated songs starts of the record known as Gimme Shelter. Very stimulating guitar and iconic riffs from Keith Richards with the meaningful lyrics by Mick Jagger make up this war song. Despite what the song discusses the song itself is damn good. I could pretty much go on to say why each song is spectacular. Live With Me opens with a snazzy bass line and then throughout the rest the song it embraces blues, and has a cool saxophone solo. For good measure You Can't Always Get What You Want was the perfect choice to end this album. The song speaks the truth and is very moving. Why I believe this record goes down as one of the greatest is because it reflected the time period, and was something people wanted to hear. Over a dozen extra people were used to play an instrument to add effect.
    The energy and realism is reflected in the sound.

My rating: 10
    Spoon Aug 8 Hollywood
    Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern

Martin Scorcese plays Gimme Shelter in just about every one of his gangster films.

The only tens so far are Rage Against the Machine's debut album and this one, right?

Enema of the state
    Spoon Aug 8 Hollywood
    Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern

I like Get down Moses, one of the better songs on the album.
    Last edited by Riggins33; 08-10-2012 at 06:31 PM.

Yeah, it's one of the more liked ones for most from what i have heard/read. i dig it a bunch, too.

also, redemption song was recorded to be a duet with johnny cash. there is a version out there with both of them that is fantastic.

Last edited by JustSteve; 08-10-2012 at 06:24 PM.

The White Stripes - Elephant
    Elephant stretches from acoustics to very heavy alternative rock. Don't get me wrong there are some very great songs on this record, but then there are some that are dull and too simple. Meg White's drumming is so one dimensional on this record, I'll fault whoever was responsible for writing the drum beats. Seven Nation Army is a pretty good song to start off the record. It has that catchy but repetitive guitar rhythm, but when Jack White busts into higher notes that song becomes awesome. Ball & Biscuit is the other gem off this record. Jack White demonstrates just how great a guitar player he is. The slow to fast tempo is balanced well. I would say it makes a good song for plenty of occasions. The Hardest Button to Button is an example of a simple song that relies on too much repetitiveness. I just can't tolerate the chorus, and the way the guitar sounds. I Want to Be the Boy Who Warms Your Mother's Hearts still has me wondering if this is a serious song, or just a running joke. Unfortunately the guitar is still not good enough for me to counter the singing and drumming.

My rating: 5.5
    Spoon Aug 8 Hollywood
    Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern

I like that Redemption Song video you posted JustSteve
    Spoon Aug 8 Hollywood
    Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern

New York Dolls - New York Dolls
    Unfortunately for New Yorks Dolls self-titled record, I think it has not aged well. I couldn't get a feel for any of the songs. This is one of the bigger ambiguous cases I've dealt with. My opinion on this record does not change a single thing. History has already been solidified, and this album influenced many. What I don't like about this record is that it is too friendly to seem punk. There is a lot of sick guitar and drumming on this record, but the voice turns me off. Sorry to let all the New York Dolls' fans down, but I expected to be blown away, and I was kind of let down. Trash was probably my least favorite.

My rating: 4.75
    Spoon Aug 8 Hollywood
    Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern

How was the RHCP show?

The show was great. Monarchy of roses, dani california, can't stop, and scar tissue began the set and the crowd went nuts. One of the loudest roars I've ever heard when can't stop began. All the band members were super energized. Flea gave badass speeches. It was a good time.
    Spoon Aug 8 Hollywood
    Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    The show was great. Monarchy of roses, dani california, can't stop, and scar tissue began the set and the crowd went nuts. One of the loudest roars I've ever heard when can't stop began. All the band members were super energized. Flea gave badass speeches. It was a good time.
    So the new guitarist was okay? I heard from others that went to past shows that he just can't play like Frusciante.

The White Stripes review is probably the most infuriating thing I've ever read on these forums.
    Last edited by cutterbutter; 08-13-2012 at 08:40 PM.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

I don't disagree with that review.
    last.fm
    6/15/14 Failure - Glasshouse // 7/9/14 Cloud Nothings/Metz - Roxy
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL
    9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

He s not on the same level. Especially when it comes to creating music, but there was so much chemistry between him and the rest of the band. He played all the songs like you'd expect from frusciante. Josh added his own guitar solos in the classics probably so that he could add his own flavor, and as a backup vocalist he might be better. The guy can jam
    Spoon Aug 8 Hollywood
    Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern

Jon Wayne-"Texas Funeral"
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

Cog - The New Normal
    The album opens up with a pretty energetic song called Real Life, which has a catchy chorus as well. This album could represent the idea that progressive rock and opinions about the government seem to go well together. When listening to this record I could not see the light, the atmosphere set is always dark. The River Song is the track to note. It has the most the depth to it. The transitions of fast to slow are done very fluidly, which helps make this song powerful and full of energy. Throughout the songs they speak of oppression and the unfairness of society, so if you're into that here you go. Cog are pretty good at what they do. It's not my favorite genre out there, but this is a solid album.

My rating: 7
    Spoon Aug 8 Hollywood
    Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern

Milli Vanilli - Girl You Know It's True
    It's pretty sad that this record peaked at number 1. What's even more sad is that this record won a Grammy. What's even sadder and outright pathetic is that they lost their Grammy because the duo who fronted the band turned out not to be the actual singers. Each song relies on a similar shitty drum beat. Then you got these 2 dudes who can't sing who are covering for these other 2 dudes who don't sing and look like girls. Girl You Know It's True has got to be one of the most overrated songs out there. There's nothing even catchy about. The record is bubblegum pop. There's no soul in their music. The downfall of their career was rightfully deserved, and they thankfully have almost been erased from history.

My rating: 0.5
    Spoon Aug 8 Hollywood
    Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern