Page 19 of 54 FirstFirst ... 1415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: theklein25 reviews albums

Default Re: theklein25 reviews albums

OK so a lot when down. Here's my defense:

Not a racist and street performer certainly does not imply any race. Just meant I've seen people on the street with their acoustic guitar who are just as good.

Baroness is good, but I can't give it a better rating than all the other albums I've given a 6.75 or higher or else that'd be a contradiction.

The production is very clean and good

Finally The 2nd Law cover is so terrible, why is that posted in here?
    Follow me on Twitter at Klein25
    Spoon Aug 8 Hollywood
    Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern
    The Horrors Oct 14 Santa Ana

Moderat - Moderat
    It's pretty cool that this is a side project of Modeselektor and Apparat. Rusty Nails is a club feel song that has a nice vocal track. The lyrics are simple but the beat and voice complement each other. The album is very clean and perfect for raves and clubs. It's mixed well enough to be considered a good electronic record, but it has a few songs I didn't like. Sick With It had bad singing and not a good dance vibe either. They did a good job at keeping a steady flow and putting together something that is memorable but has the potential to reach an even higher level.

My rating: 7.5
    Spoon Aug 8 Hollywood
    Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern

TV on the Radio - Return to Cookie Mountain
    TV on the Radio have a unique style that makes their music sound very artistic. The way I Was a Lover begins could be done no better. That's when you start to feel like you're soaring over the mountains. Province is my favorite on the record because it has a very pleasant rhythm and features David Bowie. The album's steady pace puts the listener in a state of peace thanks to the atmosphere the music gives off. Tunde Adebimpe has a wide range in his vocals which is part of why this album is so nice. Wash the Day Away ends this album on such a powerful note, and the band doesn't hesitate to go all out. Very impressive record.

My rating: 8.25
    Spoon Aug 8 Hollywood
    Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post

TV on the Radio - Return to Cookie Mountain
    TV on the Radio have a unique style that makes their music sound very artistic. The way I Was a Lover begins could be done no better. That's when you start to feel like you're soaring over the mountains. Province is my favorite on the record because it has a very pleasant rhythm and features David Bowie. The album's steady pace puts the listener in a state of peace thanks to the atmosphere the music gives off. Tunde Adebimpe has a wide range in his vocals which is part of why this album is so nice. Wash the Day Away ends this album on such a powerful note, and the band doesn't hesitate to go all out. Very impressive record.

My rating: 8.25
    Glad you liked it!! always thought they'd be something you liked.

I think it's time theklein25 reviews some Prince, so long as it's not LOtUSFLOW3R.
    Coachellas attended: 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 (W1), 2013 (W1)

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Theme night listing:

Thursday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Friday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Saturday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Sunday Night: Boo, I have to go back to my parent's house!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    The level of sheer laziness and pure speculation and confusion about very easily found and well-known things that this board has gotten to is truly confounding.

Quote Originally Posted by ods.. View Post
    Prince - Dirty Mind
    ahem

Sorry, I missed that one, and yes, that'd be a good place to start.
    Coachellas attended: 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 (W1), 2013 (W1)

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Theme night listing:

Thursday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Friday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Saturday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Sunday Night: Boo, I have to go back to my parent's house!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    The level of sheer laziness and pure speculation and confusion about very easily found and well-known things that this board has gotten to is truly confounding.

I got three for you this time:

Justice - Justice (also known at times as Cross or +)

Starfucker - Starfucker

Aphex Twin - Come to Daddy

I just checked and Klein has so far reviewed 84 albums in a span of about 7 weeks. Impressive. You're 100th review should be different/special. How could we make that happen? Maybe review that Smashing Pumpkins albums that started this thread?

Well done though Klein. This is the only thread on the boards that I make sure to check everyday.
    Last edited by rasooli; 07-31-2012 at 06:32 PM.

Imagine rasooli's pandering was an album and review it.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

I now understand Bmack's avatar pic. I want some feedback on what I may have missed in YS
    The lyrical density, plus her performance. You picked up on the biggest complaints that people have put forth in regards to Ys: that Van Dykes Parks' score was too overbearing and bright as compared to the songs that Joanna wrote. However, I feel that Parks wrote a great orchestration, especially for Only Skin (which I find to be an absolutely perfect song.) Joanna has stated that Ys reflects four big changes in her life over the course of a year, and that Only Skin consolidates those four changes into one total story.

For me, I'm sold by her absolute love of the language, her virtuosity with the harp and her own voice, the lack of clear choruses as compared with the dense compositional structure that she used, but, more than anything, I continually come back to the fact that it's a catchy, compelling, and well-played record with some of the most incredible, personal songs I've ever heard.

Oh, and when (if) you see her live, you'll understand it all.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Quote Originally Posted by IceyHotshot View Post
    Seems racist to call Tinariwen street performers. Doubt you would have thought that if it were a white band from Seattle.
    Not at all. Tinariwen WERE street performers, and their sound reflects that. They focus on long groove and total focus rather than individual melodic moments, which is suggestive of the fact that they were, at one point, trying to keep people focused for a few seconds rather than a long period.

Plus, that was a bad recommendation for a Tinariwen album. Aman Iman is the one to listen to from them. And, despite the fact that Tinariwen are great live, they can never live up to Amadou and Mariam for desert blues-based music on record.

theklein, if you want to give this general style of music a chance (and understand: Tinariwen are touareg musicians who live as nomads, as opposed to most of these other groups) check out Amadou and Mariam: Dimanche a Bamako. It's quite possibly the best introduction to African music I've ever heard, possibly barring The Indestructible Beat of Soweto, a compilation of South African musicians.

And I love the Baroness album, but I don't disagree with that review overall. It's an 8 for me, maybe 8.5, but he does get very post-grunge on some songs. I just think he does it better than Nickelback.

Marilyn Manson - Portrait of an American Family

X - Los Angeles

The Orb - The Orb's Adventures Beyond the Ultraworld

Wesley Willis - Rock N Roll Will Never Die
    In this record, for every song, Wesley Willis picks a figure, sings a short story about them, then says their yells out their name over and over, then there is some talking all along to the same rhythm. It gets repetitive. I can see how people are fans of this record, but for me personally it just wasn't funny and the singing sucks.

My rating: 3.5
    Spoon Aug 8 Hollywood
    Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern

Rock over London, rock on Chicago. Wheaties represents champions.
    This ain't no middle of the mall shit.

For Linkin Park this is kind of embarrassing, but this song would be great live if you just wanna have fun and grind on a girl.
    Diarrhea Planet 2015

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Now listen to the other 47 Wesley Willis records.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Dinosaur Jr. - You're Living All Over Me
    As soon as Little Fury Things began I knew I was in for an exciting record. Dinosaur Jr. has no holding back on the amount of guitar shredding they do on their sophomore album. Each song has something special about just because of the mini guitar solos and just the plain fact of hearing one of the greatest guitarists. Sludgefeast is a standout track on its own just because it's a song beyond your imagination. This is one of their best, if not the best record. I also enjoyed the Just Like Heaven cover bonus track.

My rating: 8.5
    Spoon Aug 8 Hollywood
    Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    The lyrical density, plus her performance. You picked up on the biggest complaints that people have put forth in regards to Ys: that Van Dykes Parks' score was too overbearing and bright as compared to the songs that Joanna wrote. However, I feel that Parks wrote a great orchestration, especially for Only Skin (which I find to be an absolutely perfect song.) Joanna has stated that Ys reflects four big changes in her life over the course of a year, and that Only Skin consolidates those four changes into one total story.

For me, I'm sold by her absolute love of the language, her virtuosity with the harp and her own voice, the lack of clear choruses as compared with the dense compositional structure that she used, but, more than anything, I continually come back to the fact that it's a catchy, compelling, and well-played record with some of the most incredible, personal songs I've ever heard.

Oh, and when (if) you see her live, you'll understand it all.
    ok cool, I will check out her other albums and follow the lyrics along as she sings
    Spoon Aug 8 Hollywood
    Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern

The Milk-Eyed Mender is probably the most accessible musically, but lyrically it's the most obtuse probably. She just has a great way with words. The newest one, Have One On Me, has some incredibly catchy songs on it.

theklein, you need to get on to listening Funhouse by the Stooges because it is the greatest album of all time. And forget about this spirit animal shit, I would like for you to assign a Hustler Honey to this album.
    "ain't no thang but a chicken wang"

The Stooges - Fun House
    Garage rock may never again reach the heights of The Stooges. Fronted by one of the most iconic rock beings known as Iggy Pop. Fun House shows you what rock is all about. The x-factor is the saxophone because it adds balance but also chaos when needed to this masterpiece. Loose is the perfect example of having a perfect drum beat, excellent guitar, nice bass, and a catchy chorus. T.V. Eye is another great song on the album because of it's rhythm and energy. Iggy Pop's energy is another powerful effect to this record because he definitely brings it. A flavorful volcano eruption that rains gold is the best way I can describe this record because you want to see the lava fall on you because you won't get burned. L.A. Blues is just a beast way to end the record and hard to forget. One of the best albums out there because of the energy they feed off each other and taking garage rock to new grounds.

My rating: 9.5
    Spoon Aug 8 Hollywood
    Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern

Klein's Choice

Last Dinosaurs - In A Million Years
    The debut record by the Australian alt band Last Dinosaurs. Zoom opens the album and immediately attracts the listener with it's thrifty guitar riff. You may not like it at first but after a few listens you'll be begging for more. They then hold down that song very nicely and give off good vibes. Somehow each song transitions over to the next perfectly all of which have these catchy guitar rhythms. The first 5 songs are all consistent amongst each other and then Satellites interludes, so that the second half of the album brings something new. The downside to this record is that it may be a little soft, thus falling into the pop category. Honolulu is the second best song on this record. It's lyrics and diversity to the rest of the record explain why. If you're a big fan of Phoenix I strongly suggest this album. It's one of my favorites from this year and will make my top 25 of 2012 for sure.

My rating: 7
    Spoon Aug 8 Hollywood
    Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern

The Stooges - Fun House
    Garage rock may never again reach the heights of The Stooges. Fronted by one of the most iconic rock beings known as Iggy Pop. Fun House shows you what rock is all about. The x-factor is the saxophone because it adds balance but also chaos when needed to this masterpiece. Loose is the perfect example of having a perfect drum beat, excellent guitar, nice bass, and a catchy chorus. T.V. Eye is another great song on the album because of it's rhythm and energy. Iggy Pop's energy is another powerful effect to this record because he definitely brings it. A flavorful volcano eruption that rains gold is the best way I can describe this record because you want to see the lava fall on you because you won't get burned. L.A. Blues is just a beast way to end the record and hard to forget. One of the best albums out there because of the energy they feed off each other and taking garage rock to new grounds.

Oh yeah, baby! I'm glad you like the album. Had you heard it before? It's actually a perfect album to listen to while working out or making out. I guarantee that you'll up the rating on that bad boy, if you do either while listening to it. Here's a couple more albums that you must listen to:

The Rolling Stones - Let It Bleed
    New York Dolls - Self Titled
    The White Stripes - Elephant
    Nirvana - In Utero

Never listened to any album by them in full, but i've always liked what i've heard. Rolling Stones, and Nirvana I've heard of those of course, and a White Stripes review may not be a good idea, unless people really want it. I've never heard New York Dolls, I can review that one if you want
    Spoon Aug 8 Hollywood
    Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern

Joe Strummer - Streetcore, please.

Daughtry - Daughtry
    The American Idol runner-up proved that he is more than just a reality show contestant. This album is a singles record because the non-singles are unfortunately nothing to talk about. However, now that I've said that I can now focus on the albums top tracks (all singles). It's Not Over is a flat 10. The song is so real and I love the energy. His voice is superb on all the record, but it's really brought out on that first track. Home is another song that gets stuck in your head easily. It's beautiful and he's keeping it real. I have to say they do a good job at finding a way to get all the instruments to bring something to the table. What About Now is a great track because the piano and guitar team up well. In the end I respect how carefully written most these songs were, even if it's nothing to brag about. Good pop record.

Spoon Aug 8 Hollywood
    Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern

Never listened to any album by them in full, but i've always liked what i've heard. Rolling Stones, and Nirvana I've heard of those of course, and a White Stripes review may not be a good idea, unless people really want it. I've never heard New York Dolls, I can review that one if you want
    I'd like to read your reviews for all the albums, if you have the time.

Wow a 7 on daughty pretty suprised by that im really hoping my suggestion does not fall below that. Though I think you will enjoy Bear vs shark..... A

Bear vs. Shark - Terrorhawk
    I loved the energy Catamaran gave off. I think it defined post-hardcore perfectly. That was my favorite song by far, and if these guys ever reunite I would see them just to mosh to that song. After that each song is hit or miss. There are some songs that I would normally skip because the vocals are too shaky. Of the 13 true songs, I would say 10 are really awesome. I Fucked Your Dad is another good song because of the nice instrumental outro, which I think should have been used more in their other songs. Still was a good recommendation.

Spoon Aug 8 Hollywood
    Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern

Prince - Dirty Mind
    Prince's third studio album almost reaches the level of perfection with it's funky new-wave jams. The drum beats come out so great and the bass really stands out too. He did a great job at making those standouts. The synthesizer in When You were Mine is very fun, and the bass/drum beat makes the song very danceable. The album title is pretty self-explanatory as the lyrics in the songs get pretty sexual, but the cheesiness of it all makes it humorous. Uptown is my favorite song off this record because of the heavy drum pedal, funky guitar riffs, the lyrics and voice of Prince. The chorus is fun and I just found it to be the most rounded of all the songs. Head is extremely funky and another classic song. Prince proves with this album alone how he is one of the best musicians out there, and this album was just near the start of his total discography.

Spoon Aug 8 Hollywood
    Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern